Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2014, 09:13   #826
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
You are absolutely right, only the exterior is butch and impressive, the interiors and the lack of gizmos make you feel cheated at the price that this vehicle commands.
Hi mupreti,

More than gizmos, what you feel missing are the rear discs & Passenger airbags, for sure. Having driven gizmo laden car, I feel less the gizmo's better the car is! I definitely like the non clustered dash of Fortuner compared to other cars. However, yes- the features can be better for that price from Toyota!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 09:53   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
What about the Santa Fe? It might be a little more expensive than the Fortuner, but it looks good on the outside and inside. Plus the engine is a gem.
I was already stretching my budget with the Fortuner and am averse to considering anything that is priced higher.

Now I am back to considering MUVs and here am contemplating either the Innova or the to be launched Mobilio.
Old 29th April 2014, 11:11   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
I was already stretching my budget with the Fortuner and am averse to considering anything that is priced higher.

Now I am back to considering MUVs and here am contemplating either the Innova or the to be launched Mobilio.
Jatin- you and Innova?? how on earth is this possible?

why dont you look at the Rexton- very good VFM, great engine and interiors and backed up by a widespread service network.
Old 29th April 2014, 13:50   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Jatin- you and Innova?? how on earth is this possible?

why dont you look at the Rexton- very good VFM, great engine and interiors and backed up by a widespread service network.
After talking to you now I am down to Mobilio/Ertiga, the Innova is out!!
As my search is no longer related to Fortuner, my following updates will be to the corresponding threads.
Old 3rd May 2014, 21:02   #830

Fortuner 3.0 D 4D Automatic

So I understand it is 3.0 litre Diesel that is why 3.0 D

but what does 4D after that mean?

Is it all wheel drive? Do all wheels receive power from engine?

The showroom guys are not able to tell at all.
Old 4th May 2014, 10:06   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fortuner 3.0 D 4D Automatic

D4D is the name given to toyotas diesel engines right from the Corolla till the fortuner or rather all diesel engines IIRC. BTW, this thread should be merged to the fortuner review thread. MODS please note.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 00:01   #832
BHPian

AFAIK, D-4D is used by Toyota to denote inline 4 cylinder, common rail direct injection diesel engines.
It is just another acronym like CRDI, CRDe, TDCI, DDIS, i-DTEC etc used by different manufactures for common rail engines.

So, 3.0 D-4D indicates that it has a 3 litre common rail direct injection diesel engine.
Old 5th May 2014, 00:16   #833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahseen View Post
So I understand it is 3.0 litre Diesel that is why 3.0 D

but what does 4D after that mean?

Is it all wheel drive? Do all wheels receive power from engine?

The showroom guys are not able to tell at all.
3.0 stands for the 3L engine, as you have rightly pointed out.

D4D stands for common rail direct fuel injection technology. This is similar to Hyundai's CRDi, Ford's TDCi, GMs TCDi and VCDi, Fiat's JTD etc.

No, the automatic Fortuner is not 4 wheel drive. It comes in a real while drive configuration.

Please check out the below review, if you haven't done so already -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html
Old 5th May 2014, 08:54   #834
Senior - BHPian

D-4D is just the name given for the engine by Toyota. The first D stands for Direct Injection and second D stands for Diesel.

The first D is not Diesel as Toyota' D-4S engine is a Direct Injection Gasoline engine.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 23:33   #835
BHPian

Read a lot about which SUV is the best. Finally concluded the real contenders for a true SUV 4x4 below 35 Lac were Toyota Fortuner, Mitsubishi Pajero, Ford Endeavour and Tata Safari. Others considered were BMW X1, Audi Q3 Quattro, XUV500, Hyundai Santa Fe, Chevrolet Captiva, Renault Koleos.

Finally decided on the Toyota Fortuner 4x4 and booked a super white, waiting for the delivery to happen now.
Old 10th May 2014, 23:39   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Read a lot about which SUV is the best. Finally concluded the real contenders for a true SUV 4x4 below 35 Lac were Toyota Fortuner, Mitsubishi Pajero, Ford Endeavour and Tata Safari. Others considered were BMW X1, Audi Q3 Quattro, XUV500, Hyundai Santa Fe, Chevrolet Captiva, Renault Koleos.

Finally decided on the Toyota Fortuner 4x4 and booked a super white, waiting for the delivery to happen now.
Many congratulations, if you can elaborate your decision making process, it might help others who are in the same boat as you!
Old 11th May 2014, 20:41   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
Many congratulations, if you can elaborate your decision making process, it might help others who are in the same boat as you!
Thanks. Well let me try.

First the non contenders:
BMW X1, Audi Q3 Quattro : More car like feel than an SUV, do not give a built tough feel, 4x4 absent, space is very cramped.

Renault Koleos: Above issues plus trust in Nissan badge in India, resale considerations

Hyundai Santa Fe: The above issues without the space issue.

Chevrolet Captiva : 4x4 absent plus trust in Chevrolet badge in India, resale considerations

XUV500: Mahindra badge, does not give a built tough feel, 4x4 absent

Now the contenders:
Ford Endeavor: Too bulky and lethargic.

Tata Safari: Tata issue of long term ownership and lethargy in the engine, 4x4 technology questionable

Mitsubishi Pajero: Future of Mitsubishi in India is doubtful, service support doubt and do not like the new Pajero Sport look.

The selection

Toyota Fortuner 4x4: Built tough, solid toyota quality and service support, true 4x4 with lock differentials, spacious, good residual value.

Hope this helps.
TorquePeedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 14:35   #838
BHPian

Need advice on which accessories to go for, for the fortuner.

Is it worth to go for the bull guards?
Mega audio video screens for rear seat passengers?
Navigation? Does it involve replacing the head unit?Is there blue tooth connectivity in the fortuner as a standard fitment?
Illuminated scuff plate?
Auto folding side view mirrors?
Vehicle tracking device?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by TorquePeedo : 12th May 2014 at 14:41.
Old 12th May 2014, 15:56   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Need advice on which accessories to go for, for the fortuner.

Is it worth to go for the bull guards?
Mega audio video screens for rear seat passengers?
Navigation? Does it involve replacing the head unit?Is there blue tooth connectivity in the fortuner as a standard fitment?
Illuminated scuff plate?
Auto folding side view mirrors?
Vehicle tracking device?

Thanks in advance
*Go in for rear bull guards as bikers are impatient and cant judge braking distance properly.
*I would suggest Roof mount monitor to make it comfortable for even the 3rd row passengers.
*Yes Blutooth is standard in the HU. Check with Mapmyindia, whether they can offer a plug-in navigation system to interface with the standard HU
*Scuff plate is useful to protect scratches - recommended. Auto folding mirrors recommended
*Vehicle tracker highly recommended. It gives total peace of mind. Go for the model with with disabling through SMS feature. Fortuner being an SUV is prone to theft.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 12th May 2014 at 15:57.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 05:36   #840
Senior - BHPian

Query to the gurus.

On a trip back home while driving at night i faced this issue. I was in our families fortuner which is a MT 4*2 and a 2012 model.

As you know the lights are in this config.

Off > Part On(which highlights two small lights in the headlight and turns on the parking light in the bottom> Full on > Auto

In the On position we get the Dim and Dip. In the Dip position the main bulb lights along with the side round light.

Now my doubt is for the Dim position. Only the side round lights light up with the main bulb being off. Is this an issue as the throw from this light is pathetic to say the least with hardly 20feet of light.

Or is this a trouble with my car or can this be fixed. Usually what i notice in other cars in the main bulb has two options. One for Dim and the other for Dip.

Please help me
Maddy

Sorry if i sounded naive and do box me if you want more info.

Most Viewed