Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 16:42   #676
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Lambodara,

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed. I have had my Fortuner for 8 months, and am loving it. BUT, I knew what I was buying, and did extensive test drives, so had no misconceptions e.g. regarding ride, handling, brakes, interiors etc.

Unless you are clear about what you want in an SUV and use the Fortuner the way it is meant to be used, Fortuner can be a disappointment.
Hello Nilanjanray,
I agree. But the point even I am confused is why pay 23 lkhs for a vehicle when you can get similar comfort and decent handling (not as good as fortuner) for 13 lkhs? 10 Lakhs extra for just a brand is too much.
I can buy a fortuner at 9 lkhs INR in DUBAI where the innova is available for about 8 lkhs INR.The price difference between the fortuner and innova is just over a lakh in other countries where as in India its almost double which is ridiculous.
Old 25th April 2011, 19:07   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
Hello Nilanjanray,
I agree. But the point even I am confused is why pay 23 lkhs for a vehicle when you can get similar comfort and decent handling (not as good as fortuner) for 13 lkhs? 10 Lakhs extra for just a brand is too much.
I can buy a fortuner at 9 lkhs INR in DUBAI where the innova is available for about 8 lkhs INR.The price difference between the fortuner and innova is just over a lakh in other countries where as in India its almost double which is ridiculous.
The high cost in India has to do with higher taxes. IIRC, Fortuner is basically CKD which attracts quite a bit of duty where as Innova is not. Hence the price difference is quite high overall in India. Taxation plays a havoc with pricing of cars in India.

That said I too believe that Fortuner is overpriced because its basically the same platform as Innova and even the motor is primarily the same. Even Innova currently seems to be high priced.

I agree that brand does earn a firm a lot of money. But there are always two sides of coin. Other offerings in the market will not have so much deep engineering that has went into Toyota. Innova and even Qualis still ply on tough Himalayan routes without much trouble given that proper maintenance is done. Why Innova is famous as Taxi even at such overpriced level ? Simply because they can survive more than 3 lakh kms. run. More than the brand, the price can also be for engineering O/H costs.
Old 25th April 2011, 20:00   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I agree that brand does earn a firm a lot of money. But there are always two sides of coin. Other offerings in the market will not have so much deep engineering that has went into Toyota. Innova and even Qualis still ply on tough Himalayan routes without much trouble given that proper maintenance is done. Why Innova is famous as Taxi even at such overpriced level ? Simply because they can survive more than 3 lakh kms. run. More than the brand, the price can also be for engineering O/H costs.
But someone who is ready to spend 20 lkhs on a vehicle will in normal scenarios will not use the same for more than 5 years .Your point is valid if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time . I can settle for a Safari or a Scorpio and can still use it for 2 lkh kms (I may have to spend about 1 lakh for an engine overhaul in between ) and even with all the maintanance it will still be cheaper than Money spend on fortuner.

When I spend 20lkhs I would expect some creature comforts and some modern Engineering both of which is absent in fortuner.
(modern Engineering : Mean all wheel drive, TCS, ESP,Speed sensitive steering etc..)
I would happily spend a lakh more and go for a Santafe , honda CRV or even a captiva for that matter as they are more modern compared to the fortuner.
Old 25th April 2011, 21:51   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
When I spend 20lkhs I would expect some creature comforts and some modern Engineering both of which is absent in fortuner.
(modern Engineering : Mean all wheel drive, TCS, ESP,Speed sensitive steering etc..)
I would happily spend a lakh more and go for a Santafe , honda CRV or even a captiva for that matter as they are more modern compared to the fortuner.
I wish the Fortuner were cheaper and had better creature comforts. But it doesn't. Neither do its competitors - Pajero and Endy. The Grand Vitara is a 5 seater. Do we get ripped off in India regarding vehicle prices? Yes. But can you suggest a better alternative if one wants to buy a powerful, 7 seater, super reliable, 4WD + low range SUV that is tough as nails, and will last 10 years?

If you are happy with a CRV or Captiva, then the Fortuner probably is not for you. There are plenty of more comfortable but less tougher vehicles out there. You will find that we have discussed this many times if you go through this thread.
Old 19th May 2011, 18:44   #680
Senior - BHPian

This is my first post on Team-BHP. I was wanting to upgrade to the Fortuner soon and has some queries. I have sent the below quoted mail to Toyota. I would also like the valuable input of Team-BHP members in this regards -

Quote:
I am an old Toyota customer and already own 2 Toyotas (Corolla and
Qualis) which I had purchased from Uttam Toyota, Ghaziabad. Now I was
thinking of upgrading to the Fortuner.

I had certain queries which your new local dealership at Meerut (Grand
Toyota) could not answer fully -

1. Why is the Fortuner not equipped with a Touch Screen Navigation
System, which is a norm in such type of vehicle. More than 50% of the
Fortuner's customers change their existing music system, which I think
is a weak link in an otherwise exceptional vehicle, to a more
comprehensive Touchscreen Navigation System ( as e.g. offered by your
direct competitor, The Ford Endeavour), and the existing system goes
totally waste as it is not fittable in any other vehicle. In fact, the
Fortuner's music system does NOT even feature a Aux In port or a USB
port, which is the norm standard of the day and is available in cars
more than 1/4 the value of this vehicle, as standard. A serious
thought should be given to upgrading the music system as early as
possible, possibly also with Bluetooth support besides the above.

2. I wanted to replace my Corolla which is 2004 model (E model, with
6CD changer, Gold Mica colour) done only 50000km, in scratch-less
condition, but no exchange facility was available at your Meerut
dealership. I would be grateful if you could guide this query to the
nearest Toyota True Value Mart, and tell them to contact me so I can
upgrade my vehicle as soon as possible.

3. I would also like my Fortuner to be fitted by a slotted front grill
(as found on the Prado etc.) a photo of which I saw in the magazine
Autocar India, which was being fitted as OE accessory by your
Delhi/Gurgaon dealerships, but no information for the same was
available at your Meerut dealership. If you could convey me the price
of that additional accessory also. The grill looked something like
this - Image link - http://admin.sabahexpress.com/offer/30016.jpg

I hope you would clarify my queries and request at the earliest with
comprehensive answers.
Old 1st June 2011, 18:08   #681
Senior - BHPian

Finally booked my long lusting Toyota Fortuner, Silver colour; wait period quoted about 3 months; On road Faridabad price Rs. 22,25,134/- (20,14,800 Ex showroom + 38000 Insurance, 166684 Registration, 3550 Logistics, 2100 Temp Regn+No. Plate) OE Prado Grill is 12.5K;

Thanks to all on this forum for helping me out...
Old 1st June 2011, 21:17   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Finally booked my long lusting Toyota Fortuner, Silver colour; wait period quoted about 3 months; On road Faridabad price Rs. 22,25,134/- (20,14,800 Ex showroom + 38000 Insurance, 166684 Registration, 3550 Logistics, 2100 Temp Regn+No. Plate) OE Prado Grill is 12.5K;

Congrats!!
Welcome to the club

Trust me, if you've lusted over the car over the last few months (it was years for me), it sure will grow on you as you use it.

We've got a few excellent threads on the forum to look up for performance, ownership reviews, etc. of the car (e.g. Nilanjan Ray & Manuuj)

Happy motoring.
Cheers mate
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 22:28   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

Congrats,and i am sure you are not opting for that Prado type grill for the fortuner,it looks hideous in my opinion.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 22:35   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Congrats,and i am sure you are not opting for that Prado type grill for the fortuner,it looks hideous in my opinion.
does it really?

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st June 2011 at 23:36. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:13   #685
Senior - BHPian

Inquired about ICE Upgrade today; Supposedly the best system today is an in car system direct from Map My India; Model no. for Fortuner MMI051168

Was quoted 49K at the dealership; unable to view;

Went to Lajpat Nagar, Delhi; saw the system first hand; Fantastic Fit and Finish; Touchscreen is about 5.4" for Fortuner Model (Corolla model looked more fantastic with 7" touchscreen); has everything conceivable; BT, DVD, Aux, USB, SatNav with MMI latest maps, Reverse Camera (cost of camera separate 1.5K for sleek nightvision model); Price printed on pack is 45K (without camera); Was quoted 42k by Elegant with camera and 39K by Autozone with camera; Exchange price for original system quoted was 4K (pathetic and not at all worth it to give back such a wonderful piece of equipment)

Prado Grill (Made in Thailand) was quoted at 7K and 5.5K respectively at the two dealers; looked all plasticky but quality was high;
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:18   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys I came across a 2010 fortuner, white color, done only 9k KMs. Haven't seen the car as yet but the Dealer who told me about the car is a family friend and we trust him. He says the car is clean and the owner is asking for 18Lacs. Suddenly from nowhere I have started dreaming about it now. Will exchange it with my Innova which I drive daily for 50kms. The sheer size of the vehicle is intimidating and that even scares me a little regarding its drive-ability in the city( but before I bought the Innova I felt the same way about it and now it feels like a maruti 800). Also is the price reasonable or is there scope for some more bargain? Please help me in the decision.
Old 8th June 2011, 10:15   #687
Senior - BHPian

The Toyota Fortuner being sold currently in Philliphines has a New head unit with Bluetooth and Call functions ad also has aux in ports... sad to see that the Indian Fortuner is lacking this... It also has Automatic Transmission and the fully loaded version is less than 17L Rs. while the lowest end 4x2 starts at 14.5L Rs.

Link - Toyota - Fortuner

Last edited by dkaile : 8th June 2011 at 10:22.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:09   #688
Team-BHP Support

Have anybody else noticed that all Fortuners are driven very rapidly on our highways? I have so far seen 6 to 7 Fortuners, and all of them were being driven like its backside was on fire - mostly at 140 or 160 kmph. No, there were not driven RASHLY - they were driven quickly. Has anybody seen a sedately driven Fortuner on the highways?

Also, last week, I noticed a Fortuner taking a long fast curve at 120 kmph. I was following that Fortuner and I had to take the foot off my accelerator on my Civic because the road was not exactly smooth and I chickened out.

The high speed handling of the Fortuner seems to be very good. Any idea how the Fortuner performs in the ghats? Can one take a ghat curve at 50 kmph (most handling-oriented sedans can do this) in a Fortuner without toppling over?
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 02:38   #689
BHPian

The T-fort is an excellent handler on turns too, provided you are within its limits.
It will easily take turns designed for 50kmph at around 80kmph-90.
Old 4th July 2011, 07:00   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey guys I came across a 2010 fortuner, white color, done only 9k KMs. ame way about it and now it feels like a maruti 800). Also is the price reasonable or is there scope for some more bargain? Please help me in the decision.

Take the Ex-showroom price as of today. Add Road Tax. Now depreciate this number by 15% for each year of the vehicle's age. It is my guess this is how Carwale values vehicles . I ran this exercise in the recent past and found the T-fort markt price is in excess of such valuation by a good 10-12% of the depreciated value. Is this an aberration or the norm? I have no clue. This is how the market is valuing T-Forts as of date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks