Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:32   #631
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Today's TOI says Fortuner bookings are now open. Yeti and X1 effect I think !!
Precisely. But then, this could be a short spell of reduced demand as well.
I hope there is a price correction by Toyota. That will make the Fortuner more attractive.

@Nilanjan: People say that the body panels of Toyotas are thinner and the same can be felt when comparing them physically to other brands. What do you think? Also, there are talks of the Fortuner's paint being prone to scratches pretty easily. Have you noticed anything similar?

Last edited by n.devdath : 3rd January 2011 at 11:34.
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:04   #632
BHPian

Santa FE and X1 have certainly made this segment wide open once again. It's about time, Santa FE and other CBU's gets assembled right here in India and heat up the competition for our benefit.
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:29   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
ple say that the body panels of Toyotas are thinner and the same can be felt when comparing them physically to other brands. What do you think? Also, there are talks of the Fortuner's paint being prone to scratches pretty easily. Have you noticed anything similar?
Not sure about the 'thinner' part, since I haven't compared this aspect with other SUVs'. I found the panel to be sturdier than the SX4's. But the door panel does bend a bit if I press hard (but then again, that happens with most vehicles).

The black one that I have is prone to scratches, and doesn't show the metallic glint as well as the grey or silver Fortuner does. But then again, I am not treating the vehicle with kid gloves. Dogs jumping up, going on thorny trails etc. - scratches are inevitable.
The first scratch is the most painful - after that it doesn't hurt so much :-)

Last edited by nilanjanray : 3rd January 2011 at 15:31.
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:04   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai probably has a bitter taste from the Terracan failure. However, times and peoples budgets have changed. I feel if they can go the CKD route for Santa Fe and bring the price to about 17 Lakhs, it will be a hot seller. It offers tons more kit than the Fortuner.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:59   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hyundai probably has a bitter taste from the Terracan failure. However, times and peoples budgets have changed. I feel if they can go the CKD route for Santa Fe and bring the price to about 17 Lakhs, it will be a hot seller. It offers tons more kit than the Fortuner.
Yes, Santa Fe offers more kit. But if there is moderate luggage, then Santa Fe's seating capacity reduces to 5. With the third row in tact, there is very little space for any decent luggage. Further, the third row seat juts out awkwardly, almost touching the rear windshield.

I feel Fortuner scores here, in terms of practicality.
Old 4th January 2011, 23:14   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

@sbraj: I think the Fortuner has only a slight advantage in this regards. See attached pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-toyotaboot.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-santafecargo2.jpg  

Old 5th January 2011, 10:35   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@sbraj: I think the Fortuner has only a slight advantage in this regards. See attached pictures
The Fortuner picture that you posted in the other thread here is better for comparison as the photo is taken from similar angle.

I personally found the luggage space to be much better in Fortuner when I had checked out both vehicles. I assume you had these two vehicles side by side for comparison. Did you get a chance to actually measure the floor width of the luggage space? That data would be conclusive.

The second factor contributing to less luggage space in Santa Fe is the seat inclination (picture confirms what I was saying, that the third row seat is protruding out). Since there is no distance between top of third row seat and rear door, only the floor area can be used in Santa Fe for luggage. Whereas in Fortuner, there is considerable space between the top of third row seat and rear door, luggage can be stacked up (or bigger bags can be kept).
Old 5th January 2011, 11:48   #638
BHPian

Just checked with local dealer on the price. I was told they are still finalizing it. But people are booking on an average 5 per day (cant verify these claims of course) and the price seems to be up by 2.8% or thereabout on the ex-showroom price. On road in Bangalore it should be around 24.6 lakhs without their SMILES package (around 6.7K). Accessories are likely to be at the same price.
Old 5th January 2011, 11:55   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

@raj: From the other picture you mentioned, Fortuner has more usable space behind the Third row. I only wish they would give a few more features like rear disc brakes, Traction cotroll etc, that is offered in the Thai version.
Old 5th January 2011, 16:23   #640
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of recent fortuner buys on TBHP and threads there in seem to suggest that fortuner is now available at short notice of even a month, and that bookings are open.

Yes they have managed to log in the customary 922 units in Dec, but has demand tapered down? We would know in the next 4 months or so. They had earlier crossed 1000 shipments a few months back, but seem to be maintaing the 900+ level with the intent of matching demand with supply rather than having a future booking shortfall.

Time for the AT to renew things.

The Santafe, Yeti and Aria may have tempered demand.
Old 10th January 2011, 16:06   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Precisely. But then, this could be a short spell of reduced demand as well.
Also, there are talks of the Fortuner's paint being prone to scratches pretty easily. Have you noticed anything similar?

I tend to agree on this part. My White Fortuner tends to scratch pretty easily as i have mentioned in my thread also. I regularly polish it myself and have noticed a number of scratches and marks that pop up regularly.

The other day a someone on a Motorcycle at a red light grazed the rear wheel arch while trying to squeeze in front (God knows why they do this at every light) and left an unsightly scratch which i promptly rubbed out using some 3M paint compound but i was surprised again by the ease by which the scratch was administered.

I had also made the mistake of Shampoo washing my Fortuner with a Sponge a few times which attributed to the hundreds of mini swirl marks that are on my car now.

The Pajero's paint quality is much superior by comparasion (though maybe because it is a metallic paint). It does not scratch easily even though it has been through many thorny bushes and is also about a year older than the Fortuner.
Old 10th January 2011, 18:01   #642
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
A couple of recent fortuner buys on TBHP and threads there in seem to suggest that fortuner is now available at short notice of even a month, and that bookings are open.
Agreed, and that's probably good news for would-be owners. Someone I know got his Fortuner within 6 weeks of booking. No Influ-bhai (influence) or Donu-bhai (Donation under the table). Straight forward transaction. I guess Toyota has nearly cleared the backlog?
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:24   #643
BHPian

there is news on the Auto tranny version in 2011, any one has more information on that?

I am looking to book one the coming month, but would wait a bit if the auto version is seriously around the corner..
Old 23rd January 2011, 19:10   #644
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed, and that's probably good news for would-be owners. Someone I know got his Fortuner within 6 weeks of booking. No Influ-bhai (influence) or Donu-bhai (Donation under the table). Straight forward transaction. I guess Toyota has nearly cleared the backlog?
+1 to that. In fact, Ravindu Toyota is ready to give me Fortuner within a month of its booking. Toyota has either ramped up production ratio or has cleared the backlog.

OT: Took a look at the Yeti today once again. Totally wrote it off when compared to the Fortuner only in terms of the middle row. It is too cramped and I will not pay 20 big ones for space at premium.
Old 24th January 2011, 13:40   #645
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that. In fact, Ravindu Toyota is ready to give me Fortuner within a month of its booking. Toyota has either ramped up production ratio or has cleared the backlog.
If you are interested, you can try Nandi - they might have a blue and one white Fortuner for the picking right away - under 3 days. You can try your luck at their showroom on Hosur road.

As for me, I almost went for it and would have been driving it today! After much deliberation, I decided to go for a a 7 seater VX Innova instead. Needless to mention, many valuable inputs from Akshay, Busa, and so many other fellow Team-BHPians has helped me articulate my preference better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks