Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 23:43   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I do not recommend such driving even in best of the handlers. It not only endangers the passengers life but is also dangerous for fellow road users. I feel enjoying the performance in short bursts only on empty stretches is OK, but endangering your own and others lives just for thrills is not really worth it.

If someone feels he was born for speeding, he should try his skills on some track day. On Public roads let's drive safe.
Old 31st July 2010, 02:04   #557
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, made a typo in my earlier post - perhaps the Mods can correct. The Indian Fortuner doesn't have VSC. I have called up Toyota and checked.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:59   #558
BHPian

Well guys in my opinion the Fortuner is a rocket on the highway.I was traveling on Grand Trunk Road and the way the SUV passed by it even left my Safari shaking.I tried catching up to but was of no use.But one thing i noticed that the Fortuner body roll is very high and this is one machine in which you will not like to test gravity.
Old 1st August 2010, 00:58   #559
BHPian

Hi guys!
I booked a Fortuner finished in Black Mica through Nippon Toyota, Thiruvananthapuram. The overall test drive and booking was pleasant experience.

I took a long test drive and was very impressed with the Fortuner's road manners and the locomotive like mid range. Overtaking is such a breeze in this vehicle. However the test drive vehicle was a pre-brake upgrade specimen, therefore the brakes felt as if they were non existant.
But I spoke to a friend who has a April 2010 manufactured Fortuner and he confirmed that this issue had been resolved completely.
As far as the ride is concerned I felt that it improves with speed, while at low speed its a bit on the stiff side. Typical Body-On-Frame SUV behaviour, so no problems with that.

The engine is much more refined as compared to the Innova. It is advisable to keep the revs within 4k and use the torque as the engine does get a bit gruff beyond 4k. Honestly you will not feel the speed build up until you look at the speedo.

The seats were really supportive and the seating position was good and gave a good view all round.

Apparently the next black Fortuner coming in the next lot is mine. The salesman will be confirming when exactly in a few days. And he also mentioned that new bookings for the Fortuner has been stopped until further notice w.e.f 23rd July 2010.

The price for the Fortuner in Kerala as of 20th July 2010 are:

Ex-showroom: 19,29,460
Insurance: 51,269
Road tax: 1,54,360
On road Price: 21,39,119

I also opted for a number of original Toyota accessories:

1) Chrome mirror cover with turn signal - 13,175
2) Front grille guard - 16,455
3) Side cladding - 22,721
4) Muffler cutter - 1,200
5) Illuminated scuff plate - 10,352
6) Floor mats (premium) - 3,521
7) Trunk mat (fabric) - 1,193
8) Rear bumper step guard - 3,758
9) 3M Paint Protection - 4,000
10) Bosch Megasonic horn - 2,200

The salesman also mentioned that Toyota is now offering a 2 DIN touchscreen system with built in DVD player and navigation (Map My India). I'm not sure about this. I will keep you guys updated once I get more information.

Cheers
Old 1st August 2010, 02:29   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Safaris and Scorpios handle fine at 120 kmph so I don't see any issues with the Fortuner at this speed. Maybe at 140+ you need to be careful, but this is the same with any high GC and tall SUV.
I have maxed the Fortuner with the needle of the speedo not going any further on the expressway. The car is rock solid and no body roll or any other feeling of the car not being able to handle it. I did get the feeling as though i have a restrictor on and the car is capable of doing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You will see umpteen number of Scorpios, Safaris, Xylos and Innovas being driven crazier than cars on the highways since their drivers feel that sitting at a higher level and having a bigger vehicle gives them better control.
In my opinion, anything above 100kmph on a 2 lane highway and 120kmph on a 4 laner on most SUVs is an invitation to disaster.

Though I would stick to 120kmph on an average with such a high mounted vehicle. Anything post that and you are inviting danger is my opinion.
You have it all wrong. The owners of SUV's do not feel that because they are on a hieght that they have better control, they have better visibility than a car owner. They can see further and thus are able to manuver better. I can say a car owner drives crazily as he feels his car hold the ground better as it is lower than an SUV. This point can be debated endlessly, all i have to say is there are rash drivers and then we have the sane ones.

I beg to differ here. Like i mentioned before i have maxed out the fortuner to a point the needle could go no further. My ML i have touched a 210 kmph and trust me i was more comfy doing the max out on the Fortuner and safer than in a ML. A seasoned driver who knows what he is doing is just at home, but a novice i would not recommend above a 120kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The braking issue is more related to the spongy pedal feel, the Fortuner still has manages to stop in a lesser distance than Endeavour, Scorpio and Safari. For data please refer to various magazines braking data.
I do not know if this has been discussed before or not but will mention it. Toyota has recalled vehicle from the first batch to upgrade the brakes. This is done for free at your service center. The upgraded brakes are the same as the ones that come on the Prado. If you go to buy it outside it would set you back with labour to roughly Rs 50,000. So i would request all Fortuner owners to call up their Service centers and take the first available appointment. It is a 4 hour job, so you dont waste a whole day or few days.
Old 1st August 2010, 09:14   #561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Just like the Endeavour and Fortuner, The Pajero Sport is also based on a Pick-up truck chassis, So please do not expect Pajero like Ride and Handling finesse. Most online reviews say the Pajero Sport has lacklustre ride and handling package.
The key difference is that Ford tried to save a few pennies, and didn't bother to re-engineer the rear suspension with coil springs when even our home grown M&M and Tata have taken this effort with Safari/Scorpio. It is not rocket science to share the same platform but have different rear suspension set up as can be seen in the Hi-lux and Fortuner.
Old 1st August 2010, 09:24   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The key difference is that Ford tried to save a few pennies, and didn't bother to re-engineer the rear suspension with coil springs when even our home grown M&M and Tata have taken this effort with Safari/Scorpio. It is not rocket science to share the same platform but have different rear suspension set up as can be seen in the Hi-lux and Fortuner.
But even if they did, the middle row would still be uncomfortable because of the way one has to sit with knees pointing roofwards (floor height)
Old 1st August 2010, 21:59   #563
Senior - BHPian

@speedy": great to know about the Fortuner's high speed handling. I took it up till 160 during my TD, but you seem to have tested its limits.

Btw, I wasn't not talking about aggressive driving on an Expressway - I was talking about relatively crowded roads.

@TheStig: Congratulations! When did you book? Great news about the 2 DIN package if true.
Old 1st August 2010, 23:49   #564
BHPian

@nilanjanray:

Thank you! I booked on 20th July. They stopped new bookings on the 23rd. Guess I'm lucky! Yes the 2 DIN package should be sweet as it will be covered in the waranty. I am very much interested in it if it exists. I will keep you updated on that after I talk to the salesman.
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:10   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I do not know if this has been discussed before or not but will mention it. Toyota has recalled vehicle from the first batch to upgrade the brakes. This is done for free at your service center. The upgraded brakes are the same as the ones that come on the Prado. If you go to buy it outside it would set you back with labour to roughly Rs 50,000. So i would request all Fortuner owners to call up their Service centers and take the first available appointment. It is a 4 hour job, so you dont waste a whole day or few days.
Sir, I own a post upgrade Fortuner.
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:59   #566
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Why did you not consider the price in countries where there in no taxation? The above countries taxation makes it difficult to give comparisons, since we are not aware of the tax component.
In middle-east there is very negligible taxation, so it gives a better perspective.
So, let us compare the middle east prices to innova and fortuner.
Now, these prices are of 4 years back, but what we are interested in is the difference in the pricing and not the pricing itself.
Innova 2.7 4cyl A/T : AED. 97,880/- approx INR.1,239,250
Fortuner 2.5 4cyl A/T: AED 99,697/- approx INR. 1,262,244
Fortuner 3.0 v6 A/T : AED. 109,989/- approx INR.1,392,257
All top spec prices.

So, this more represents what fortuner is worth w.r.t innova
I believe I compared all the countries that had taxation and that I was aware of. Please correct me but, India has taxation right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I am talking about super aggressive snake like overtaking - not just normal driving at 120 kmph.

I think that driving at 120 kmph+ on Indian highways with traffic (i.e. no long empty stretches) is just not done unless you have fantastic handling and brakes - which you don't find on tall SUVs or MUVs. The tall S/MUVs - they do it, but put themselves and others at danger. All it takes is something to go wrong somewhere e.g. some stupid bike or bullock cart coming on the wrong side, or some guy trying to make a very optimistic u-turn from the other direction - you have to take evasive actions, and things go wrong.

The Fortuner (at least our Indian version with VSC) can't even handle a standard Moose test (crisis manuevering when something suddenly comes in front at a measly speed of 60 kmph) without rising on two wheels.
Thank your for the input Nilanjan. Makes the point so clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
You have it all wrong. The owners of SUV's do not feel that because they are on a hieght that they have better control, they have better visibility than a car owner. They can see further and thus are able to manuver better. I can say a car owner drives crazily as he feels his car hold the ground better as it is lower than an SUV. This point can be debated endlessly, all i have to say is there are rash drivers and then we have the sane ones.
I beg to differ here. Like i mentioned before i have maxed out the fortuner to a point the needle could go no further. My ML i have touched a 210 kmph and trust me i was more comfy doing the max out on the Fortuner and safer than in a ML. A seasoned driver who knows what he is doing is just at home, but a novice i would not recommend above a 120kmph.
Driving a high sitting SUV at speeds exceeding 120kmph on Indian expressways is nothing but an invitation to disaster. Even in Developed countries like Finland which have world class expressways, the top speeds are limited to 120kph and to 80kph when the roads enter the city limits in spite of all road users following rules.

It is speeds like these which have made India the world leader in road accidents.

Anyway, I guess this can be discussed on some other thread. Lets get back to the Fortuner.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:09   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I was driving the Fortuner at speed on the expressway this morning, at speed its completely in control BUT one has to be aware this is not a low slung car so a SUV has to be treated with respect, Sharp manoeuvres and late braking should be avoided.

I absolutely love the AWD grip on wet roads, especially on the curves on the ramps connecting flyovers in Noida. Fortuner takes wet curves with so much more confidence than other RWD SUV's, Doing something similar is unimaginable in softer sprung RWD SUV's like Scorpio. I am enjoying the monsoons with the Fortuner, no wheelspins, no slides, no drama.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:01   #568
BANNED

Quote:
^^ I was driving the Fortuner at speed on the expressway this morning, at speed its completely in control BUT one has to be aware this is not a low slung car so a SUV has to be treated with respect, Sharp manoeuvres and late braking should be avoided.

I absolutely love the AWD grip on wet roads, especially on the curves on the ramps connecting flyovers in Noida. Fortuner takes wet curves with so much more confidence than other RWD SUV's, Doing something similar is unimaginable in softer sprung RWD SUV's like Scorpio. I am enjoying the monsoons with the Fortuner, no wheelspins, no slides, no drama.
I believe your Fortuner has undergone a couple of services right? Could you please share the costs of the same as break ups of spares, consumables and labour.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:08   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Hi guys!
I booked a Fortuner finished in Black Mica through Nippon Toyota, Thiruvananthapuram. The overall test drive and booking was pleasant experience.

I took a long test drive and was very impressed with the Fortuner's road manners and the locomotive like mid range. Overtaking is such a breeze in this vehicle. However the test drive vehicle was a pre-brake upgrade specimen, therefore the brakes felt as if they were non existant.
But I spoke to a friend who has a April 2010 manufactured Fortuner and he confirmed that this issue had been resolved completely.
As far as the ride is concerned I felt that it improves with speed, while at low speed its a bit on the stiff side. Typical Body-On-Frame SUV behaviour, so no problems with that.

The engine is much more refined as compared to the Innova. It is advisable to keep the revs within 4k and use the torque as the engine does get a bit gruff beyond 4k. Honestly you will not feel the speed build up until you look at the speedo.

The seats were really supportive and the seating position was good and gave a good view all round.

Apparently the next black Fortuner coming in the next lot is mine. The salesman will be confirming when exactly in a few days. And he also mentioned that new bookings for the Fortuner has been stopped until further notice w.e.f 23rd July 2010.

The price for the Fortuner in Kerala as of 20th July 2010 are:

Ex-showroom: 19,29,460
Insurance: 51,269
Road tax: 1,54,360
On road Price: 21,39,119

I also opted for a number of original Toyota accessories:

1) Chrome mirror cover with turn signal - 13,175
2) Front grille guard - 16,455
3) Side cladding - 22,721
4) Muffler cutter - 1,200
5) Illuminated scuff plate - 10,352
6) Floor mats (premium) - 3,521
7) Trunk mat (fabric) - 1,193
8) Rear bumper step guard - 3,758
9) 3M Paint Protection - 4,000
10) Bosch Megasonic horn - 2,200

The salesman also mentioned that Toyota is now offering a 2 DIN touchscreen system with built in DVD player and navigation (Map My India). I'm not sure about this. I will keep you guys updated once I get more information.

Cheers
Congrats on the booking, the fortuner looks stunning in black. Please check the price of the "Chrome mirror with turn signal" as it is 10880/- here in chennai. Push your dealer to get more discount on the accessories.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:17   #570
BANNED

To add to it,the 3M coating is of no use. You can refer to TBHP threads which clearly explain the nuances of the same. That money can fetch you a 100 liters of diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks