Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2010, 06:40   #526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Glad that I chose this over the GV
How would you compare the ride comfort and handling of both vehicles? Especially for the rear passengers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
vehicle tends to have body roll due to low centre of gravity
You meant high centre of gravity?
Old 25th July 2010, 10:12   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
However, 160Kms on an SUV is kind of dangerous since the vehicle tends to have body roll due to low centre of gravity. But if one's at it confidently, then I see no qualms about the speed. Btw, does the vehicle give out warning beeps when you cross 120Kms? Drive safe!

Cheers
Champion
I am aware of the high CG and body roll issues - I am not sure if you know NICE road (it is like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway) - it is one of the best places to TD vehicles for high speed handling and stability. Happy to say that the Fortuner behaved well.

@sbraj: GV high speed handling, stability and braking are better. Middle row comfort is slightly better in the GV (Fortuner - middle row middle seat is hard, and body roll can be felt due to high seating). But Fortuner is very much manageable and not uncomfortable if one drives keeping in mind what Lady Luck can or cannot do. When I did the 3rd TD, I knew what to expect, so was much more comfortable pushing it like an SUV instead of pushing it like a sedan.

If I didn't have two dogs and didn't want to do occasional trips with 5+ people, I might have gone for the GV - especially if it had been 16-17 Lakhs OTR instead of a ridiculous 21L+ in Bangalore.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 25th July 2010 at 10:17.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:45   #528
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Can someone please give me realtime city and highway FE figures with ac and without it if possible and the speeds.
Expect 9.4 in the city and 12.5 on the highway. More info over on our testdrive section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
How would you compare the ride comfort and handling of both vehicles? Especially for the rear passengers?
The GV trumps the Fortuner on either parameter. It is a better handler and offers superior ride quality as well.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:41   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Expect 9.4 in the city and 12.5 on the highway. More info over on our testdrive section.

The GV trumps the Fortuner on either parameter. It is a better handler and offers superior ride quality as well.
Oopsey, willing to shell out 20+ lacs and ask for FE. Well, well, well,new Maruti ads, I believe are on the dot . Looks like "We are this way only" holds good for every Indian irrespective of the cars which we plan to buy (From 800 - Fortuner - Merc - BMW - Ferrari).
Also, all ANHC owners do boast about 13-15 mileage even though they belong to the

Yes, I do admit there's a tinge of sarcasm in this post,but wanted to highlight this aspect of mentality which non-Maruti owners also have. (Mods,please don't delete this. post for this comment)

Having said all the above, I would like to add that we all should be inquistive about the mileage too. No two ways about it.

I would like to get one advise from all the people who have seen/tasted/TD'd fortuner.
At this point of time, which of the below will be prudent move
(1) Get the highest variant of Innova
(2) Add few more lacs and go for Fortuner

Just wanting to know whether Fortuner has "that" in it to withstand the test of time. Innova has proven beyond doubt how reliable a vehicle it is.

Few friends who saw and TD'd came out not so impressed, especially with the interiors.( No AUX/USB ports, being one of them which is of significant importance)

BR,
Old 26th July 2010, 12:21   #530
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Fortuner Reliability.

I have a Skoda Laura and it has at times need to be stopped on the side of the road with all lights blinking or more often driven to a service centre in the slow caution mode due to various issues over the years.

then on looking around I have over the years seen other Laura also meet the same fate. (Parked oon the side of the road with a nicely dressed individual calling up someone for help.) - Concluded that they met the same fate and since keep a look out for other vehicles that face such an issue.

Supprisingly have seen blinking hazzard light lit fortuners on the side of the road on 3 occations in the last 1 year on my dialy travel route. They were all different vehicles at different locations on the route at different times of the year. So do we infer..
Old 26th July 2010, 14:37   #531
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Oopsey, willing to shell out 20+ lacs and ask for FE. Well, well, well,new Maruti ads, I believe are on the dot . Looks like "We are this way only" holds good for every Indian irrespective of the cars which we plan to buy (From 800 - Fortuner - Merc - BMW - Ferrari).
Also, all ANHC owners do boast about 13-15 mileage even though they belong to the

Yes, I do admit there's a tinge of sarcasm in this post,but wanted to highlight this aspect of mentality which non-Maruti owners also have. (Mods,please don't delete this. post for this comment)

Having said all the above, I would like to add that we all should be inquistive about the mileage too. No two ways about it.

I would like to get one advise from all the people who have seen/tasted/TD'd fortuner.

Just wanting to know whether Fortuner has "that" in it to withstand the test of time. Innova has proven beyond doubt how reliable a vehicle it is.

Few friends who saw and TD'd came out not so impressed, especially with the interiors.( No AUX/USB ports, being one of them which is of significant importance)

BR,
Yes, even after spending 20 lacs, FE is important due to the simple factor that a customer can do a one time splurge of 20 lacs to buy what he/she feels is a lifetime vehicle, but getting your pocket pinched for every km that you drive it, doesn't make sense. FE and upkeep costs will remain prime areas of concern for most buyers and that is the way it should be.

Coming to your "test of time" question, I feel that the Fortuner has a very solid build and a robust feel to it. The 2 biggest let downs for me are the basic interiors(steering wheel, handbrake lever, sound system etc) and a low driving position for my liking, not to mention the high price. What you buy depends on your usage pattern and requirements.

@ACM: Now thats news. Did you inquire what the issues were? I guess there is a new thread in the making. Toyota Fortuner: Issues and Solutions.

Last edited by n.devdath : 26th July 2010 at 14:39.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:45   #532
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nope did not inquire - just passed, and stared curously. Definately struck me as odd.

But have just posted what I saw, I do not also know if there were just parked by the side of the road to pick up someone and had hazzard lights on as it was on a speedy highway - but these were at locations which are generally isolated on the eastern express highway mumbai / ghodbunder Rd. Thane and not meeting / pick up points.

Conclusions could be drawn either way, but lets just not take the Innova reliability to be a sure indicative of the same for the Fortuner, it is a modified engine and it does have different mechanicals like the 4X4.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:47   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Conclusions could be drawn either way, but lets just not take the Innova reliability to be a sure indicative of the same for the Fortuner, it is a modified engine and it does have different mechanicals like the 4X4.
The 3.0 D4-D engine is new in India, but the Prado has had it for two generations (Three if you include the latest gen Prado). 4x4 mechanicals of the Fortuner as not exactly new either. It is the same Full Time 4x4 system with lockable center diff that has been in Prados for years.
Old 26th July 2010, 21:24   #534
BHPian

[quote=n.devdath;1997283]Yes, even after spending 20 lacs, FE is important due to the simple factor that a customer can do a one time splurge of 20 lacs to buy what he/she feels is a lifetime vehicle, but getting your pocket pinched for every km that you drive it, doesn't make sense. FE and upkeep costs will remain prime areas of concern for most buyers and that is the way it should be.

Yes my friend. I completely agree with you. I have seen in the forum where people who own "high" end cars like Honda/Toyota/Fiat/Ford/Hyundai (Can Koreans make good cars? I have my doubts.)
always make fun of people who own Maruti. The above mentioned souls look down upon Maruti. Still consider any variant of Maruti as an 800. They always talk about Maruti owners are way too FE conscious.
But being an avid reader of T-BHP, how many times have I come across "snobbish" Honda guys talking about high FE(ANHC increase the snob value, I believe )

As an aside Tata, Maruti and Fiat have all Fiat engines under the hood.(off topic might be. But just want to get a point across)
Definitely there will be slight differences in those engines. But why do we always end up reading reviews about the performance of Fiat Linea/Punto notches above Tata and Maruti?
Yes, performance does not depend solely on engines, there are other factors too. But *ENGINE* is the heart.
Or is it that Fiat deliberately supplies low quality engines to Maruti and Tata? I don't think a company like Fiat will stoop to that level.

In a nutshell, just want to say that we Indians are very very conscious about mileage we get. So we all should try to sop ridiculing people who own Ind-Jap cars

Coming to your "test of time" question, I feel that the Fortuner has a very solid build and a robust feel to it. The 2 biggest let downs for me are the basic interiors(steering wheel, handbrake lever, sound system etc) and a low driving position for my liking, not to mention the high price. What you buy depends on your usage pattern and requirements.

I don't think there can be any major difference between the usage pattern/requirements of Fortuner and Innova. Definitely, don't want to run it as taxi at this point of time.

Best Regards
Old 26th July 2010, 22:48   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
As a wannabe Fortuner aspiring owner, I will quickly outline my logic which traced a similar logic "add a few more lacs and go for Fortuner". My WagonR clearly was too small for my family of 4. Most of my vacation drives are with extended family. So require more space and more seats too. So I was in the market for a second hand Innova VX (top end) with better tyres, even a petes box, etc. There was a general opposition towards a second hand Innova. Also, getting one was proving difficult. Anyway, looked at Innova V - OTR price in Bangalore quoted to me in June - 14.8 lacs. The logic of adding 6-7 lacs more appealed and Fortuner was on my wishlist. Besides, there is the comfort, like someone mentioned from Chennai, 'you have the luxury of stepping off the road, down a path to the beach'!
So here I am, IMO, it seems if the budget is elastic, Fortuner is a nice choice. My rational side tells me, an Innova should take care of 99% of my needs. But then the best memories might be that 1% one misses out! One never knows. What Innova doesnt give as much is - image, if you care. Once you get into Fortuner boat, one can fine tune image further by figuring out the colour!!! But then I am reminded of what so many people on this forum have said, why compare apples and oranges. Guess I can blame it on the wallet that can stretch. As of now Fortuner is my preferred choice. Until I have seen my options, when bookings open again, if the Fortuner shines, albeit the hazard lights, I should be driving one.
"Ticking away, the moments that make up the dull day...waiting for someone or something to show you the way" - Pink Floyd, Time.
Old 27th July 2010, 13:24   #536
BHPian

Way to go dhuli, I support that notion full fledged. It's like most "experienced" people say, the heart should rule the roost when it comes to decisions which are passionate. And cars for us T-BHPians are certainly that way. I too thought what dhuli had in mind, an Innova would do just fine as has the Qualis for all these years. But it's what Dada said that still resounds in my ear, "The Innova ain't appealing, and the Fortuner's is really awesome". So for all those would-be buyers of the Fortuner, decide on your priorities and like they say, nothing and no one is perfect. You like some and hate some, but it's the proportion of the likes against the hates that weighs the buying decision.

Cheers
Champion
Old 27th July 2010, 13:58   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
As of now Fortuner is my preferred choice. Until I have seen my options, when bookings open again, if the Fortuner shines, albeit the hazard lights, I should be driving one.
If the bookings open again only after the current backlog is cleared, then next chance will come mostly in 2011 March-April. I am guessing that the scene would have changed by then, with the launch of Tata Aria, Mahindra W201, Skoda Yeti. There are some CBUs(?) expected too, like Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, Hyundai Sante Fe.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:52   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

@sbraj:

Currently Fortuner has no real competition. Endy & Pajero 2.8 are there but as we know from the Fortuner Booking numbers that there is a huge section of the buyers in this segment who would rather wait six months for a Fortuner than get a Pajero 2.8 or Endy in a few weeks. I think the real competition will be from the Mitsu Pajero Sport as in terms of specs, this will be closest to the Fortuner. Santa Fe is again a soft roader and I feel it will have a bigger impact on the Captica rather than the Fortuner.
Old 28th July 2010, 09:47   #539
BANNED

4x4 addict, I somehow doubt if the Pajero Sport will give it a tough time based on Mitsubishi's scare service network, lack lustre sales policy/steps and the high priced vehicles that they are known to sell.

Though only time will tell what happens.
Old 28th July 2010, 14:12   #540
BANNED

Was doing some research on the pricing of the Fortuner wherein a few people had said that it is priced way below India in other countries but was a bit suprised by the facts that I was able to dig out going to the Toyota websites of Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines and South Africa.

It retails for around 406 500 South African Rand which converts to around 25 lacs INR.

Also, in Malaysia, the price is around 2,432,842.30 INR for the Innova engined 75BHP version.

The Philippines price is around 1,770,607.08 INR.

Which probably cements the fact that the Indian pricing is not hugely different. Please feel free to comment.

Conversion source:XE - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks