Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:24   #391
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I assume when you use the words "done up" you use them loosely as descriptors - I would prefer to say "done-down" myself, given the context you have so eloquently outlined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On a recent drive to Nasik, I saw a couple of Fortuners done up by local accessory shops (it was obvious). Bolero-style chrome crash guards, ladders, side bars and what not!

What an idiot. Report this problem to Toyota (via their website). It's about time dealers engaging in such cheap tactics are disciplined.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:51   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On a recent drive to Nasik, I saw a couple of Fortuners done up by local accessory shops (it was obvious). Bolero-style chrome crash guards, ladders, side bars and what not!
Whenver I see an innova without any ugly looking metal piece screwed to the rear bumper, I feel good. But it is hard to spot Innovas without these. Toyota designers must have spent good amount of time perfecting the rear bumper design without realising what happens to them here in India.
Old 17th January 2010, 18:23   #393
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
Fortuner is a compelling machine. hope Toyota will start production in India and can reduce price by 2L. That will make most of the innova buyers to move up
Very true, because the actual price difference between a top variant innova with AT and a top variant Fortuner AT is less that rs.2 lakhs elsewhere.
Infact the reason why some people are dissappointed by the interiors similar to innova is because of the huge price difference.

Why did toyota not choose more localization, and went for a CKD approach? If they produced locally and priced it better, they could have just taken away the sales from other soft roaders and even upper D segment cars. Compared to the other player toyota also requires comparatively less costs to setup fortuner production since it is based on innova platform which is produced here.

BTW, is there any talk of locally producing fortuner anytime in in the future?
Old 17th January 2010, 19:57   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

A short drive

Here is my impression after a TD.

Engine: Very responsive, Pulls really well from very low rpm without lag but does not like to be revved. AWD helps secure better grip at launch giving it better acceleration times than Endy.

Handling and Dynamics: Slightly better than Endeavour but not in league of Pajero. Additional grip from full time AWD can be noticed easily.

Ride: Just okay, slightly better than Endeavour but not even close to the Pajero.

Space and Interiors: I like Endeavour's interiors better but seating is better in Fortuner. Not much equipment compared to Endy. Most of us wont like the Plasticy interiors that look too similar to Innova.

Braking: Not much confidence inspiring but may serve the purpose after getting used to. Endy feels better.

Overall i liked it better than Endy and Pajero unless an autobox is must have or one needs a better Dynamics offered in Pajero.

If had to pick one for me, i would buy an Endeavour.
Old 17th January 2010, 20:50   #395
Senior - BHPian

GTO- what an awesome review, good job done.
Old 4th February 2010, 23:09   #396
BANNED

Guys
Took delivery of my car last week. Attaching some pictures.. Till date has run 280 km. Max mileage achieved is 10.9kmpl. This is my first SUV and I am satisfied. Only gripe for me is regarding the brakes...not confidence inspiring...The observations of GTO are spot on... Great review
Cheers
Dilip
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-dsc_2480-compress.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-dsc_2478web.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-dsc_2487compress.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-dsc_2503web.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-dsc_2520compress.jpg  

Old 5th February 2010, 12:21   #397
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
Took delivery of my car last week. Attaching some pictures
Waah, congrats Dilip! You've bought a solid SUV that'll serve you well for years to come.

Quote:
Only gripe for me is regarding the brakes
True. My single complaint with the Fortuner is the braking system. Toyota ought to get bigger / rear discs ASAP.

Quote:
The observations of GTO are spot on
Thanks, glad our review was helpful to you.
Old 6th February 2010, 14:17   #398
BHPian

I have sat in a Fortuner and did not feel that great .

Very innovaish feeling inside . Other then a 4WD , new looks from out , and a 3 Lt engine , i don't see any VFM n Fortuner .

I still like my Scorpio seats comparatively to Fortuner .
Old 6th February 2010, 19:51   #399
BHPian

This car has the potential to take away the sales of Endeavour, CRV quite easily if AT transmission is provided. AT models will atleast clock 100 nos. Toyota needs to get AT a bit early so they can be the undisputed leader in this SUV segment for a long long time.

This product will become like ANHC for Toyota in near future in this segment in India.

Very good review GTO. At the time of test drive did you by any chance suggest toyota to release AT versions? Or any word on the AT in Toyota for Innova and Fortuner?
Old 7th February 2010, 09:50   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Yes I am sold but only due to the lack of choices, I can't digest buying a 4th Endeavour ! But what does a semi luxury SUV buyer do? If only the Captiva was larger and offered more cabin space !
I'm not 100% satisfied, the car doesn't feel that much of an upgrade. I only hope some competitor comes up with a surprise SUV at the Auto Expo but that's just wishful thinking.

My father is keen on the Freelander but that again is a smaller SUV and I rather have an SUV that I can use tension-free since it will be chauffeured most often.
Unless you necessarily need SUV with more than 5 seats why don't you consider the X1 instead? It'll be a much nicer ownership experience I assume.

While the plastic quality on the Fortuner may be better than innova, the quality of the dash is really depressing given the price point of this vehicle. IMO, the 2 high priority corrections required in this vehicle are the drum brakes and the quality of the centre console which definitely must look more up market.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th February 2010 at 09:57. Reason: for clarity
Old 7th February 2010, 18:50   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Unless you necessarily need SUV with more than 5 seats why don't you consider the X1 instead? It'll be a much nicer ownership experience I assume.
There is no confirmed launch time set for the X1 here so I don't want to bother waiting any longer than I have already. Which reminds me I should check on my Fortuner's booking status, we did give a booking amount payment in the first week on January.
Old 8th February 2010, 12:36   #402
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Very innovaish feeling inside . Other then a 4WD , new looks from out , and a 3 Lt engine , i don't see any VFM n Fortuner .
True. Though relative to the competition, the Fortuner is well priced. But bring the Innova into the picture and you wonder whether its worth 2X the $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosTHEjackal View Post
Very good review GTO. At the time of test drive did you by any chance suggest toyota to release AT versions? Or any word on the AT in Toyota for Innova and Fortuner?
An AT is confirmed for launch. Toyota will probably bring it in once the MT order backlog is cleared.

Quote:
IMO, the 2 high priority corrections required in this vehicle are the drum brakes and the quality of the centre console which definitely must look more up market.
+1 to the brakes! I don't have much of a problem with the interiors. Toyota's body on frames are known to have a utilitarian nature (applicable to the Prado as well as the Landcruiser, at their price points).
Old 8th February 2010, 12:45   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO, the 2 high priority corrections required in this vehicle are the drum brakes and the quality of the centre console which definitely must look more up market.
+1 for sure.

we were at the toyota show at BKC on saturday and the sales guys there says that company has intentionally put on drum brakes at the back.

Reason - the SUV can go out of control with all 4 discs at high speeds if one slams the break hard....lol

All we had to do was - point at the LC V8 standing right next to it
Old 8th February 2010, 19:00   #404
BANNED

yesterday went to guruvayoor temple for pooja. Everything except the brakes are working fine. After driving 500km I now don't have confidence to take her past 100kmph. I had two incidents when literally I had to stand on the brakes. The problem is that you dont feel the speed and the acceleration is superb that you sometimes misjudge the braking distance.
Anyway will be mailing to Toyota regarding the problem
Cheers
Old 12th February 2010, 07:34   #405
BHPian

Dilip , take it to the Dealer and get it checked once

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks