Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 17:08   #301
BHPian

brilliant looking suv. the rear is BMW like. if someone drops 20L at my doorstep that's the car i'm going to buy. the bonnet is high and it gives it a mean look but the name could have been better. "fortuner" isn't as thought evoking as "scorpio" or "safari". black or white is the colour to go. white will highlight the rear windshield and quarter glass combination when tinted.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:09   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Nice point there testosterone.

But with these many bookings, are these dealers giving any attention to new buyers? I doubt they even offer a test drive from their side!

On other note, fortuner might pull 40kmph on 4th gear but with heavy vibrations and engine knocking.
We visited the Toyota dealership in gurgaon and motinagar recently, Dealers are not as keen on selling this SUV and we were not offered testdrives.

For comparison- the Ford dealer in motinagar sent us both Thunder+ and 2.5 variants of the Endeavour for testdrive last year to Gurgaon.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:17   #303
BHPian

Exactly. Toyota dealers suddenly have become way too arrogant. I hope when dust settles and competition kicks in, Toyota will feel the burn.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:36   #304
BHPian

I sat in the Fortuner displayed in the Hyderabad Airport.
I found the rear seats very uncomfortable - did anyone else feel the same ?
Old 29th September 2009, 18:54   #305
BHPian

@ 1 - Testosterone

+1 on that.

I spoke to the guys here and they were so arrogant that the guy in service actually said "We don't need customers - they need us. We are actually turning away people now".

And the impact is seen on Innova buyers as well. A friend who recently picked up an Innova said that the buying experience was a lot better when he picked up his previous Innova a year and a half ago.
Old 30th September 2009, 00:07   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Exactly. Toyota dealers suddenly have become way too arrogant. I hope when dust settles and competition kicks in, Toyota will feel the burn.

I'm pretty disgusted by the way the dealers have been behaving. Even at managerial level there is arrogance. The sales manager at shinrai ignored calls,smses,emails or any form of communication after making commitments.

Hope Toyota takes care of their brand image which is being tarnished by dealers now. A person willing to pay 20 lakhs on a car bloody well be treated with respect.
Old 30th September 2009, 09:22   #307
BHPian

Even out here in mangalore the dealer is not giving TD, even though the dealer has got a vehicle for himself. Its just kept in the showroom.
There are around 100+ bookings as of now.The dealer says you need good influence from the politicians to get the vehicle quickly(2months). Wonder whether the vehicle is really worth the wait!!!!!!!
Old 30th September 2009, 09:34   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

I recall posting something similar on this forum many moons ago. Toyota has always been arrogant to some extend. Now the dealers are probably getting carried away by the success of the Fortuner.

Unfortunately it is the other manufacturers who need to put Toyota in place and right now, it doesn't seem like any of them have the appetite/courage/smarts to take on Toyota. Look at the feeble response from others.

Ford came out with the Endy Automatic which is a blip on radar and not *yet* a runaway success. Chaewoo has reduced the price on the Captiva making it a good buy. The silly blokes at Mitsubishi have been running ads that if you buy a Pajero 2.8 you can avail 1 Lakh Rupees depreciation. How pathetic is that. How many people look at only the depreciation value before buying a vehicle? Toyota will continue to be arrogant until other manufacturers take the game to them !!
Old 30th September 2009, 15:01   #309
BHPian

Dealers acting pricey

Few days back had gone to the The Toyota dealer to service my corolla, decided to check the Fortuner out. The guy who was showing me around was clearly not interested in selling the car.
He was a green horn and didn't know that I am one of their earlier customers.
I was considering the Fortuner before its launch but changed my mind because of the long waiting list, this episode only strengthened my decision of not buying the Fortuner.
Although Toyota has its cash registers ringing right now, it needs to play it right.
The success of the Fortuner is getting to them IMO. TKMIL better pull up its dealers or else they are in for a rough ride.
The fortuner is not without its flaws (Poor Brakes, Low on Features,etc.) and this is the "Honeymoon" period of the car, lets wait till a year and see what happens to the sale of fortuners.
Old 1st October 2009, 01:20   #310
BHPian

Nice review!

I have a slight query though. You mention:
- Firm suspension. Pitches on the highway

I assume by pitching you mean the front end goes up and down. Wouldn't the pitching mean the suspension is soft?
Old 1st October 2009, 10:13   #311
BHPian

It's really surprising to see Toyota dealers acting in such an arrogant manner.

Everyday I get at least one SMS from Galaxy Toyota (from whom I bought my Corolla) inviting me to test drive the fortuner and threatening price increases

I might just give them a call and ask for a TD. Let's see if they're up to it
Old 1st October 2009, 12:25   #312
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I sat in the Fortuner displayed in the Hyderabad Airport.
I found the rear seats very uncomfortable - did anyone else feel the same ?
the middle row seats can be moved further ahead for comfort of the rear seats, so was this done? Yes the rear seats are uncomfortable, Just like in all the other Ladder frame SUV's. Even the Innova "VAN" feels more comfortable for the rear seaters, but it is about being the best of the lot. The rear seats are only for children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
Nice review!

I have a slight query though. You mention:
- Firm suspension. Pitches on the highway

I assume by pitching you mean the front end goes up and down. Wouldn't the pitching mean the suspension is soft?
I guess he is referring to the Boat like motion, that is expected of a car this size and wt with the tyres of the size it has.
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:38   #313
BHPian

If I have to buy a SUV, I do not think I will put in 20l on this Fortuner. As correctly GTO put it, it feels more utilitarian than luxury and i will put in the 20l only for the luxury not for a UV whatever bullet proof.

I am just curious how the sales trend continues after 3-6 months.

I thought Indian car buyers are difficult to satisfy, but looking at the Fortuner bookings, I have to rethink.
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:19   #314
BHPian

My friend , you underestimate the brand image that Toyota has in Indian Minds. In a country where people try hard to show each other down, the name Toyota goes a long way.
Old 2nd October 2009, 13:08   #315
Senior - BHPian

Seen few Fortuners on road now and must say it has an imposing road presence, none other vehicle in its price+another 2-3 lakhs has that much personality.

I would like to ask people who complain about luxury, what they exactly mean by luxury. Is it just black interiors, few features and fancy dash?
For me space is luxury, power is luxury, size is luxury, speed, GC, 4x4, ride quality is also luxury. As all these cost money. Which other vehicle gives you best of most? I agree that it is a bit short on features but again they all will add to the cost. For me, I wouldn't mind paying extra for AT, electric seats (now spoilt by Altis- can't imagine a vehicle for me without it), xenon lamps, touch screen and DVD screens. For what one is paying he is getting best combination, thats why such a long queue.

PS: A Toyota fan talking.. so take it easy..

Most Viewed