Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 11:53   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Just curious, did you get to drive the XTL 4X2 as well, just wanted to know the driving impression, most importantly the suspension (which used to be pathetic on the old gen Endy)

Thanks
No buddy just the 4X4 3.0 litre version..as i said the engine boom was pretty pronounced in the cabin which sent the sales person scurrying for the music controls !

The car did pull well but there was a lot of lag between the noise of the engine and actual increase in speed, much like the rubber band effect on the kinetic scooters (okay.. that may be a bit unfair but not too far off the mark)

As far as ride quality goes it seemed okay from the front seats, nothing to complain about but then again most Delhi roads aren't exactly harsh.

I wasn't impressed by the vehicle as a whole.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:44   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This guy sure doesn't waste any time. Think about it, 35 grand for a tuning box and you have a Fortuner that can do the 0 - 100 in 10.xx seconds

EDIT : Let's hope he comes out with better pads / discs too. With 200 BHP, the Fortuner sure could use superior brakes.
The racechip has been available for quite some time for the fortuner.
Chiptuning RaceChip - Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D, 2982ccm, 120kW (ca.163PS)

Saw it on some youtube videos first. If 200 bhp is too much then get a pro box. It will boost to 211 bhp/429 Nm of Torque. Cheaper too at 229 Euro for the pro one. The normal one is much cheaper 129 Euro which should give similar performance to Petes one (number-wise). If and when I get a fortuner I'm going for the pro one.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:33   #198
BHPian

Excellent review GTO, and good to know comments from Pajero and Endy owners. However i am more confused between Captiva and Fortuner now. Would like to throw up a quick comparison of both? It will be a great help.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:52   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By GTO - Perspective on size. That's our support car, the OHC Vtec:
Just when i was begining to appreciate the Fortuner, you had to go and do this....now i can't concentrate. LOL

Anyway, i think its a wonderful car (atleast on paper), but considering how good the Innova has been, im sure it'l be much more reliable.

Infact, its not a bad idea to replace our petrol Innova with this one. Its got the same seating arrangement, more powerful and economical as well. And then theres always the ECU upgrade, if need be.

Shan2nu
Old 15th September 2009, 20:59   #200
BHPian

Rumour has it that one could see possible reduction in prices of both Captiva LT and LTZ in the upcoming festive season. Maybe it's due the fact that GM will bringing in Captiva as CKD from next year on (No way that GM will compete via CBU route).
Captiva (except for it's true off roading abilities) has better ride, handling and interiors compared to Fortuner. Their LTZ model which is fully loaded, may see some reduction in prices. As far as I'm concerned I'll LTZ over Fortuner any day if it were to be priced around 19L.
Old 15th September 2009, 21:45   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post

All projeting items on a vehicle (exterior & interior) do not qualify under these regulations because they possibly can pose a possible danger to the occupants in the car or those onthe road in the event of an accident.

It is for the same reason that we cant have Audio systems with Jazzy button and funky looking controls. All items on the car must have rounded edges blah blah blah and so on.
Do you know this or are you speculating?
If a fender mirror is danger to people, then why is a door mirror not a danger?

How is a funky looking control a danger to passengers ?? I hope you are aware that the crome looking items are actually make of plastic.
Old 15th September 2009, 22:01   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

How is a funky looking control a danger to passengers ?? I hope you are aware that the crome looking items are actually make of plastic.
What I have read somewhere is that these mirrors are mandatory for cars of this type in Japan. Since the law here doesn't mandate them to be provided, they may be offering it as an additonal accessory.
If the regulation of 'treating projections as threat' is indeed true, it is very stupid because these projecting objects can help the driver to actually avoid certain kind of accidents.

Last edited by Guna : 15th September 2009 at 22:06.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:55   #203
GTO
Team-BHP Support

[quote=entropy;1484068]The racechip has been available for quite some time for the fortuner.
Chiptuning RaceChip - Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D, 2982ccm, 120kW (ca.163PS)

Quoting a post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatm3 View Post
Toyota Motorsports Gmbh also offers the DEPK( Deisel engine performance kit) as an official Toyota part, which claims 200BHP and 440NM of torque.
Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
However i am more confused between Captiva and Fortuner now. Would like to throw up a quick comparison of both? It will be a great help.
The Captiva and CRV are softer, more car like and feel more luxurious than the utilitarian Fortuner. Most women & non-car types will prefer driving the CRV within the city. Where the Fortuner scores is in its pricing (cheaper than both), tough build and far better (expected) long-term reliability. I'm not a fan of the Captivas road manners (especially in the 2WD variant), but the CRV is king of the hill here. The Captiva suffers from massive turbolag.

Of course, the Captiva is offered with an automatic and comes with a better level of kit (rear disc etc.), albeit at a higher price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Just when i was begining to appreciate the Fortuner, you had to go and do this....now i can't concentrate.
You are an OHC Vtec maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Rumour has it that one could see possible reduction in prices of both Captiva LT and LTZ in the upcoming festive season.
They have to (discounting already begun). The Fortuner makes the Captiva, Pajero & CRV seems terribly overpriced.
Old 16th September 2009, 12:09   #204
BHPian

Is there any official release by GM-India regarding reduction of prices of Captiva LT/LTZ variants?
Old 16th September 2009, 14:29   #205
Senior - BHPian

The Pajero & the Captiva, whether they like to admit it or not, WILL come with some "festival season discounts". Their sales as of now are in the pits. Endeavour is the only one that is still doing ok.

I just hope that the market rationalizes prices accross the board.

Cheers
Old 16th September 2009, 15:18   #206
BHPian

[quote=GTO;1485407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
The racechip has been available for quite some time for the fortuner.
They have to (discounting already begun). The Fortuner makes the Captiva, Pajero & CRV seems terribly overpriced.
I am going to ask for a discount on my Fortuner from my dealer just to see his reaction!

As far as the chip tuning goes will it not void the warranty? I think a brake upgrade is required as of now..do you think it's possible?
Old 16th September 2009, 15:47   #207
BHPian

Any change (even minor cosmetic ones) will void the warranty.
Old 16th September 2009, 17:40   #208
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A few points;

1) Great Review by GTO, better than all the Auto Mags put together
2) The video review too was nice and short and more informative than all the Car shows put together.
3) The Fortuner has it's pros and cons, it's not a absolute winner but seems to be the best 20L 4 wheeler option in the maket today, but it will not meet all needs.

As a Car, Superb or Accord are better at that price point.
As a MUV being driven by a driver the inova is better + Cheaper + more comfortable.
For sheer presence fortuner matches the endeavour and subjectively exceeds it.

If you need a diesel Captiva, Endeavour, Safari & Fortuner are the only streatched out options.

I actually went to check out the fortuner with my wife about 15 days back (Ganesh Visarjan Day), this was post following it on the various threads out here and was quite excited and yet aware of inova like interiors etc.

I would make a purchase more from the "want" point of view rather than "need". And since i do live with my choises for well more than 5 years would definately require a family buyin.

Was very surprise to see my wife not happy with the Fortuner looks, she said that she though it would be better cosidering the hype and was more impressed by the Safari itself. She also didn't like the soft roaders and the earlier Endeavour.

Though I did check out the interiors later, she was too putoff to bother about the interiors. Later I showed her the new Endeavour and surprise surprise she liked it more than the fortuner from the outside itself. Add the Auto fexibility that makes it easier for most ladies to drive.

Not a case of sour grapes but the spulge planned has been dampened due to confusing views at home. Anyways the unavalability of the fortuner currently is a blessing in disguise so wont feel too bad about missing out and can evaluate the choises and other options that come up in the next 4 months before make a choise.

So here is a great VFM (consider the options) vehicle that yet does not meet a need well enought to creat a want.
Old 16th September 2009, 22:48   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

If I were to speculate, I would have mentioned that I was speculating.
Fender mirrors are fixed on the fender by drilling hole in it and after installation are rock hard kind.
In case of door mirrors (ORVM) even though being bolted, in case of a collision with a pedestrian, say, they would fold as they have the swing as a part of their mechanism. not so in the case of the Fender Mirror (more like a projecting pole).

Now coming to the funky & jazzy buttons.
Ever seen OE Audio? They all come with soft feel smooth buttons.
In case of an accident, if any of the passengers are catapulted into the dash or other controls, these OE buttons would cause minimal imjury as compared to the button you see on an after-market Blaupunkt/Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony/et al. So while they look funky and harmless, they can cause potential damage in an impact of say even 60kmph.
If it were not for this concern, all cars could be easily plonked with some ABC audio and offered to customers. (Isnt that too easy and of less cost investment for compaines?)

After market audios/equipment have sharp/distinct edges (even the volume knobs can have distinct edges).

And regarding the chrome parts being plastic, I never said anything about items being plastic. I just mentioned about projecting items.

just my 2 cents
Old 17th September 2009, 03:15   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Fender mirrors are fixed on the fender by drilling hole in it and after installation are rock hard kind.
In case of door mirrors (ORVM) even though being bolted, in case of a collision with a pedestrian, say, they would fold as they have the swing as a part of their mechanism. not so in the case of the Fender Mirror (more like a projecting pole)....
Makes sense to me. If they have rules for rigid/projecting hood ornaments, the same should apply for rigid mirrors, atleast uptil the A-pillar (ie the area of contact during a pedestrian encounter).

We've touched upon a very similar topic here : (post#39 onwards) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...tml#post497305

Perhaps we can start a new thread if there is still a need to discuss this, rather than going further OT here.

cya
R

PS - and 4x4addict : one term i would definitely not use for the fortuner brakes is over-servoed!

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th September 2009 at 03:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks