Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 10:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Some facts and pics courtesy edmunds:

David Hudson, the engineer in charge of handling and NVH for Tata Motors, admits that some extreme design proposals were considered for the Nano project. A car with no doors was suggested. Plastic bodies were considered. And front- and rear-wheel-drive proposals were also part of the Nano's original blueprints. Finally the decision was made that the car had to look normal, like a regular car. Bizarre styling features would only make selling the Nano that much harder.

Media reports have run rampant with rumors that the Nano's body is plastic, the chassis is glued together, or that the motor is powered by a hamster in a wheel. None of these are true. In fact, the Nano is remarkably simple in terms of how it's built.

The body and chassis are constructed of steel; only the bumpers are plastic. Traditional spot-welding is used to fabricate the car. Computer-aided design has helped the engineers trim weight from the body and chassis. In its finished form, the Nano weighs only 650 kg — roughly half of most economy cars.

The engine emits only 101 g/km of CO2 emissions on the European driving cycle, which puts the Nano among the cleanest cars on sale anywhere.

The car has a weight distribution of 42 percent front/58 percent rear.

Tata Motors has cut costs out of every aspect of the Nano. The 12-inch steel wheels are held in place by three lug nuts instead of four. The dashboard is a single-piece plastic molding, which can be converted to right- or left-hand drive. There is no opening for the luggage compartment, since a hatchback would add cost and weight. Instead, the trunk is accessed via the cabin, courtesy of the foldable rear seat.

Even the battery, located under the driver seat, is there for a reason. Mounting the battery in the nose would have been ideal from the standpoint of balancing the rearward weight bias. But since the battery cable is the most expensive part of a car's wiring system, Tata decided a central location provided the best compromise of cost and car balance.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano: full test and review-2010.nano.crg.tata.fd.500.1.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-2010.nano.crg.tata.fd.500.2.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-2010.nano.det.tata.fd.500.1.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-2010.nano.det.tata.fd.500.2.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-2010.nano.det.tata.fd.500.3.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-2010.nano.det.tata.fd.500.5.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-2010.nano.det.tata.fd.500.7.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-2010.nano.dsh.tata.fd.500.1.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-2010.nano.rint.tata.fd.500.1.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 20th August 2009, 10:42   #32
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review Sid ! While there is so much praise for this little car, I also feel that the VFM might be lost at the price points on offer. Agreed, cheapest car and all, but more you see it, it seems like a 'cost-cut' car and not really a bucket of innovations. Anyway, I love the car and wish it all the success.
Old 20th August 2009, 11:10   #33
naj
BANNED

Great review sid! you are always up to something new and constructive ,may it be scoops or reviews.Please keep up the great job.

I also feel that at the current price point the Nano is not all VFM. But never the less its a excellent effort by Tata Motors and Mr Tata .
"A promise is a Promise".
Old 20th August 2009, 11:20   #34
BHPian

I know what you mean. Simply irritating. And the glares they give you if you honk is not funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Wait, the bonnet has to be opened to fill fuel?

Great, now even more time will be taken at petrol pumps because 60 year old uncles take 2 hours to get out, open bonnet, wait for attendant to fill fuel, get wallet out, count each 0 in each note, then recount, then pay money, then walk to the car, look around, sit down, belt up, pray to God, start car, waste 5 more minutes doing nothing, then finally moving ahead at the speed of 2kph.
Old 20th August 2009, 11:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review, buddy!
I hope, the Gujrat plant comes up early and Nanos are available off the floor, soon!

BTW, any scoop on the progress of Nano Europa? It is supposed to come up with an 3 cylinder engine, isn't it?
Old 20th August 2009, 11:47   #36
BHPian

sid: Kudos to you for an excellent and a very professional review. I remember reading your Introduction thread and now see that you already have attained the skills to be an auto journo. Thanks for the deeper insight into this tiny little car that has added to our country's credentials in the automobile world.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:28   #37
Team-BHP Support

great review sid!
I got a chance to sit in a nano at sterling, and I was pleasantly shocked.
I expected a cramped drivers seat, but to my horror, ingress and seating comfort rivals the safari! The little thing is so spacious!
With the indica Tata showed they are the space kings, and the tradition continues with the Nano.
And I also wish a "top end" model costing 30-40K more than current top end model with alloys and some other cosmetic enhancements is also launched!
Old 20th August 2009, 12:46   #38
BHPian

Great review Sid. I had a chance to sit in a Nano where is was on display on Westside here. Was pleasantly surprised by the interior space. If they had a top end model like the Europa, with alloy wheels, stereo etc, i would book one immediately. This is the perfect city car for me!
Old 20th August 2009, 15:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

for your efforts sid, superb detailed review one would expect from you mate.Wish we could get europa nano version with few K's more expensive then ours.
Saw a red base nano last night and believe me looked quite bit then it actually is on road.wow great going Mr.Tata.
Old 20th August 2009, 15:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) If the price of this car is above Rs. 1.5 lakh OTR, it loses value IMHO ( its just what I feel ). Maruti 800 above that will be considered for most of the people. The highest version is too expensive OTR for representing good VFM.
The high end Nano is considerably cheaper than the lowest rung 800 and comes with power windows, fog lamps, A/C, has more space, ride better, looks better and is safer.... what else is VFM?

Quote:
2) What exactly are engineering innovations ? Its smart and cost effective engineering, but what are innovations ? Can you shed some light on new innovations ?
Tata has filed 37 patents for the car and they are not awarded for cheap engineering but for innovations. If it was so easy we would have had the Nano much before.

Quote:
3) Powersliding is something not good in hands of two wheeler riders who dont even know ABC of driving sense.
You cant be serious when you wrote this.... I am speechless!

Quote:
4) If this car has more power and bigger fuel tank, it will increase the chance of people taking this car for highway driving. This is just about sufficient of what city driving normally requires.
It was never designed for highway driving and neither was 800!

Quote:
5) This is not good for a car that will be cheaper to run ( and hence will cover more kms ). The access to engine will be restricted. Not a good point.
What sort of contrived logic is that? Nano will be bought by people with very limited means... even a litre of petrol would mean something to them. Are you implying they are gonna abandon their two wheelers and use Nano daily?
Old 20th August 2009, 15:54   #41
BHPian

Sidindica, that was a very detailed and nice review. I am wondering how much time and energy you spend on writing reviews on this forum. i appreciate your honest effort.

Between, Can the nano be modded, free-flow, air-filter, port/polishing to start with.
Old 20th August 2009, 16:36   #42
BHPian

Amazing review Sidindica. I am speechless. I have never read such a detailed review anywhere else. You have covered everything in so much detail that I dont think anyone will have any further doubts/queries about Tata Nano.
Great work!!!Keep it up.
Old 20th August 2009, 16:45   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I am impressed with the Nano. It is true VFM, which many might argue about, but in comparison to its rivals, nothing comes close!
From what I understand, the base Nano should be around 1.4-1.5L OTR, which though more expensive than what was promised (1L + taxes), it still is within the reach of many prospective buyers, and I believe Tata has delivered on their promise.
I remember in an interview where Tata mentioned that the Nano might even come without proper doors to save on costs, and I for one am glad that they have actually gone the extra mile and launched a proper car for a price not much higher than promised. I am sure that if the costs of steel and such materials remained the same as the time when Tata decided on doing the Nano project (2003?), the car would be costing 1L.

Now, from what I have understood and seen, there are two types of buyers for the Nano:
- families looking for a cheap and safer alternative to the scooter. These families were what inspired Ratan Tata to build the Nano in the first place. These buyers will mostly (please note: not all the buyers) get one of the base models of the Nano.
- Middle/Upper Class families looking for a good cheap city vehicle. I know many people who would want a second/third/fourth etc. car in the house for city running to get veggies, groceries, dropping stuff off etc. These buyers can afford the higher model of the Nano and would mostly get the LX. In the future, I feel it would be a good idea for Tata to launch a version higher than the LX, with rear power windows, central locking, wider tyres etc. for these buyers, at a price point of about 185K.
I know many, maybe including me too, who would go for such a variant.

BTW: is it just me, or does the Estilo LX/LXi look very similar to the Nano from far?
Old 20th August 2009, 16:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
great review sid!
I got a chance to sit in a nano at sterling, and I was pleasantly shocked.
I expected a cramped drivers seat, but to my horror, ingress and seating comfort rivals the safari! The little thing is so spacious!
With the indica Tata showed they are the space kings, and the tradition continues with the Nano.
And I also wish a "top end" model costing 30-40K more than current top end model with alloys and some other cosmetic enhancements is also launched!
Same happened to me.
When GP was launched i went for a td and saw Nano in person for the first time. Was shocked to see the front and rear space.
It does not looks like a 1 lac rupee car but a segment above it.

Again a very detailed and well written review Siddharth
Old 20th August 2009, 17:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Good review. All I wanted is the highway part and I got it. Seems a bit pricey now. Small tank can be ignored for great FE. Man I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable with a battery under my behind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks