Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 08:48   #286
Senior - BHPian

sorry for leaving this thread high and dry. LOL. I am enjoying the car SO much that I actually jump at the smallest chance of a drive that I can get. She has touched 1950 Km alarmingly fast (in less than 1.5 months) for someone who does that much distance in 6 months. Such is it's appeal. My father, who until very recently looked like he had finally renounced all the good things in life (at 50, a lot of people are not to attached to 'worldly' pleasures) suddenly grabs the wheel tight and lets her rip at times.

During normal usage, I keep her below 3000 RPM. On a manic day I, personally have crossed 140 on various occasions but still managing to keep the RPM below 4000.

She's a beauty and that's all I have to say. (Knock on wood)

By the way, for all those who were crying about their first scratch, I got mine too. Without me knowing a bike has slightly nudged the rear bumper and gone, leaving a slight rounded scratch (with a smaller, younger brother below it). So, one can take as much care as possible. But things happen in Metros where there is hardly any place to walk, forget drive.

My car is giving me a steady average of 8. Which is slightly troublesome. Will sort it out at the first service.

I am using Normal Petrol from HP/Indian Oil with 30-40 ml of System G every tank full. I also alternate this with Speed/Power (when I personally go to fuel up) but I don't use System G with the premium fuels.

I am not at all happy with the hard edged suspension and a few rattles have cropped up. Fortunately, I now have ICE (very loud, at that) to keep the rattles from irritating me. It's difficult to now drive. without playing music. LOL. I am addicted to the ICE in the car. It's special!

I now want to ask. In the running in thread, it has been mentioned somewhere that you must change your oil after 1000 km, and then they will change it again at first service. Is it necessary in this car? Mine will touch 2000 this weekend, but there is still 1.5 months to go for the first service.

I am HIGHLY HELL BENT on changing the oil to Fully Synthetic oil very soon. Just need information on WHEN (after how many KM) and WHICH OIL. And how much!?

Queries and brickbats are always welcome. Bring them on.
Old 1st October 2009, 10:25   #287
BHPian

hey

Hey Frank, i know the feeling, i have done 1900 kms in a month, and to think this is my first car !!
got oil changed at 1000 kms, now i let the rpms go to 5000 rev, took her to 160 once on the expressway, awesome feeling it stil had a lot to give i thought.. i think you should get the oil changed too although the ford service center guys told me there was no need, but gave in after i insisted
Old 1st October 2009, 10:58   #288
Senior - BHPian

Hey frank, nice to hear that your ride's doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
sorry for leaving this thread high and dry. LOL. I am enjoying the car SO much that I actually jump at the smallest chance of a drive that I can get. She has touched 1950 Km alarmingly fast (in less than 1.5 months) for someone who does that much distance in 6 months. Such is it's appeal. My father, who until very recently looked like he had finally renounced all the good things in life (at 50, a lot of people are not to attached to 'worldly' pleasures) suddenly grabs the wheel tight and lets her rip at times.

Fiesta being a drivers car and you being an enthusiast, we dont expext you to drive less . I have driven my cedia more than 10k kms in 4.5 months. These cars addictive.. very addictive.

During normal usage, I keep her below 3000 RPM. On a manic day I, personally have crossed 140 on various occasions but still managing to keep the RPM below 4000.

My car is giving me a steady average of 8. Which is slightly troublesome. Will sort it out at the first service.

I still belive that if you restrict you rpms between 1500 and 2000, FE will improve. try to have gentle foot on the accelerator, I know its hard but one needs to. Also I belive what engines get used to in first 5 to 10 k of their lives, they remain same in their remaining, so its better to get your engine used to low revs especially in the first 5k kms and try to get the engine used to being FE rather than quick pick ups.

I am using Normal Petrol from HP/Indian Oil with 30-40 ml of System G every tank full. I also alternate this with Speed/Power (when I personally go to fuel up) but I don't use System G with the premium fuels.

As I said earlier as well, try to stick to one fuel, try not to change and dont use system G, I never knew about system G till I read it on your thread. I asked about it to petrol pump manager and he said, cars in India are tuned to normal fuels, it may be a good idea to use system G for improving engine life and improving the engine feel but this cartainly will not improve the FE if not decreasing it. So as I understand, a normal person doest know about system G and Ford and other OEMs I am sure knows that and hence tune engines to our not so good fuels. So try to stick to speed and as you said you dont use system G with it, I believe, FE should improve.

I am not at all happy with the hard edged suspension and a few rattles have cropped up. Fortunately, I now have ICE (very loud, at that) to keep the rattles from irritating me. It's difficult to now drive. without playing music. LOL. I am addicted to the ICE in the car. It's special!

Loud music is he best way to hide the rattles in your car.

I now want to ask. In the running in thread, it has been mentioned somewhere that you must change your oil after 1000 km, and then they will change it again at first service. Is it necessary in this car? Mine will touch 2000 this weekend, but there is still 1.5 months to go for the first service.

I am HIGHLY HELL BENT on changing the oil to Fully Synthetic oil very soon. Just need information on WHEN (after how many KM) and WHICH OIL. And how much!?

Even I am not very sure of sythetic vs normal fuel, after reading a dedicated thread on that, I was further confused, so I am now following the old school thought, let the company do what they want to on service and they do it according to guidelines theey have, so it sould be in our interest. my 800, driven about 1.45lac kms is still runing perfect with out overhal yet, and is serviced every 5 k kms at autorised service station. So I believe cedia and fiesta should also do fine if we leave it on the company to think for us.

Still I would ask some Senior's suggestions on synthetic vs normal oil. I know its heavy stuff.

About the oil change go as per company guidelines. I dont know about fiesta but cedia's first service is scheduled at 1k, second at 10 k and third at 20k, same goes for Marutis.. at what kms is fiestas first service scheduled for?
Old 1st October 2009, 13:20   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

By the way, for all those who were crying about their first scratch, I got mine too. Without me knowing a bike has slightly nudged the rear bumper and gone, leaving a slight rounded scratch (with a smaller, younger brother below it). So, one can take as much care as possible. But things happen in Metros where there is hardly any place to walk, forget drive.

Frank@ Considering my experience of 4 days I can say that yes its very difficult to control yourself to keep her at low rpm but this is where we need to control ourselves so that your car can perform well in long run
I try to keep rpm between 1500 - 2000 but sometime unknowingly it crosses above 2000 but then I immediatly bring it down.

By reading your comment about first scratch it seems that you was desperately waiting for it but our DIL normally does not accept it so easily but this is fact that after few scratches it does not hurt you and new scratches stays away from your car

The average of 8 km is something which I think you should take it seriously with Ford Service team.

About ICE - You are the champ in this field but I am satisfied with stock speakers & HU performance.

Tyres - Again you created new record in this field also but I manage to follow your footprints by going for 185/65 XM1+. (Not able to switch 5th tyre as it got punctured in first few kms)

Last edited by kumar7 : 1st October 2009 at 13:21.
Old 1st October 2009, 18:23   #290
Senior - BHPian

Great ownership thread frankmehta.

Does the 1.6 S come with an immobilizer? I believe ford cars are equipped with PATS ( passive anti-theft system ) , is this the same as an immo ?

Also, what's your daily driving like? Mostly on good roads without B2B traffic? Wondering where the FE of 8 is coming from.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 1st October 2009 at 18:43.
Old 1st October 2009, 19:19   #291
BHPian

@kumar: how how can you keep it between 1500- 2000 rpm. I know i'm being vain, stupid, idiotic, short sighted, moronic, neophytic but I just cant help pressing down on that accelerator pedal once in a while. In fact, I've become such a nut that i dont take the car to work and only take it out in the night (as if its my Ferrari, which it is) for a long drive on an empty flyover. Try to not rip it, but 2k is too low sir. 2.5 is ok IMHO.
Old 1st October 2009, 20:21   #292
BHPian

Premjit@ I understand that its very difficult for all of us to keep low rpm and we all are waiting badly to come out of run-in asap

I kept 2K as limit and avoid going above it as its just a matter of another few days and I should be out of run-in but I agree that it can be exceeded to another 500 and still that should be fine.

On express highway when I tried to maintain 2K rpm at that time max speed I could attain is 80kmph and when I wanted to increase the speed then realized that it needs 2K+ rpm. The best part of steering which I liked is the immediate turn you can take and still car is in control. ( I think this is where ABS is doing the magic)

So from today I am exceeding the limit from 2K to 2.5K as I got good reason to increase my limit
Old 1st October 2009, 20:53   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post
@kumar: how how can you keep it between 1500- 2000 rpm. I know i'm being vain, stupid, idiotic, short sighted, moronic, neophytic but I just cant help pressing down on that accelerator pedal once in a while. In fact, I've become such a nut that i dont take the car to work and only take it out in the night (as if its my Ferrari, which it is) for a long drive on an empty flyover. Try to not rip it, but 2k is too low sir. 2.5 is ok IMHO.
Premjit, don't feel so bad, what Kumar is mentioning is for diesel car, what I have learnt 2.5 K rpm is o.k for diesel car for run in period (1500 km), it may be different for petrol car, as bandwidth of rpm is different for diesel and petrol, just go through manual or refer run in thread on T-Bhp.
Old 1st October 2009, 23:31   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Dhaliwal View Post
Hey Frank, i know the feeling, i have done 1900 kms in a month, and to think this is my first car !!
got oil changed at 1000 kms, now i let the rpms go to 5000 rev, took her to 160 once on the expressway, awesome feeling it stil had a lot to give i thought.. i think you should get the oil changed too although the ford service center guys told me there was no need, but gave in after i insisted
Hehehe. 1900 kms in a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Hey frank, nice to hear that your ride's doing great!
thanks gaurav. will find out more about the oil change soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
Frank@ Considering my experience of 4 days I can say that yes its very difficult to control yourself to keep her at low rpm but this is where we need to control ourselves so that your car can perform well in long run
I try to keep rpm between 1500 - 2000 but sometime unknowingly it crosses above 2000 but then I immediatly bring it down.

By reading your comment about first scratch it seems that you was desperately waiting for it but our DIL normally does not accept it so easily but this is fact that after few scratches it does not hurt you and new scratches stays away from your car

The average of 8 km is something which I think you should take it seriously with Ford Service team.

About ICE - You are the champ in this field but I am satisfied with stock speakers & HU performance.

Tyres - Again you created new record in this field also but I manage to follow your footprints by going for 185/65 XM1+. (Not able to switch 5th tyre as it got punctured in first few kms)
Thanks sir. you're flattering me
Anyways, about the average, yes, will talk to them. But i doubt one can help it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Great ownership thread frankmehta.

Does the 1.6 S come with an immobilizer? I believe ford cars are equipped with PATS ( passive anti-theft system ) , is this the same as an immo ?

Also, what's your daily driving like? Mostly on good roads without B2B traffic? Wondering where the FE of 8 is coming from.
thank you. yes, PATS is an immobilizer that works on rolling codes from the key. One code out of the billion billion codes from the key must correspond with the code in the EMU, after which the car will start. If jumpstarted, it will seize in 30 seconds.
I drive for short 5 km distances in B2B only. My car sees 4th and 5 th gear very rarely

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post
heheh. You extend the run in RPM like kids beg to postpone their bedtime. LOL. My car too, comes out like a Ferrari. Dad takes it our for a spin in the morning, and maybe, in the evening I do it.

Quote:
Premjit@ I understand that its very difficult for all of us to keep low rpm and we all are waiting badly to come out of run-in asap

I kept 2K as limit and avoid going above it as its just a matter of another few days and I should be out of run-in but I agree that it can be exceeded to another 500 and still that should be fine.

On express highway when I tried to maintain 2K rpm at that time max speed I could attain is 80kmph and when I wanted to increase the speed then realized that it needs 2K+ rpm. The best part of steering which I liked is the immediate turn you can take and still car is in control. ( I think this is where ABS is doing the magic)

So from today I am exceeding the limit from 2K to 2.5K as I got good reason to increase my limit
whats the average mileage you are getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshvin View Post
Premjit, don't feel so bad, what Kumar is mentioning is for diesel car, what I have learnt 2.5 K rpm is o.k for diesel car for run in period (1500 km), it may be different for petrol car, as bandwidth of rpm is different for diesel and petrol, just go through manual or refer run in thread on T-Bhp.
true. Diesels have totally different run in precautions.
Old 1st October 2009, 23:55   #295
BHPian

I did the tank full on Monday so may be in next week I will able to figure out the average. BTW do you have any thumb rule to calculate the average!

Earlier I had LPG kit in my car and as soon it finishes it was switching to Petrol so that was the indication that tank is empty. But here I think I need to track the Fuel meter needle, correct me if am wrong!

But to be frank I don't do much of this calculation as I believe the system should work the way its designed for.
Old 1st October 2009, 23:57   #296
Senior - BHPian

the DTE is crap. Utter crap. If you want to calculate your average accurately, then fill your tank to its brim, reset the odo to ZERO and drive around. After, say, 300 km, fill up the tank again and divide the no. of km travelled (here, 300 km) with the no of litres that goes into the car NOW.
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:47   #297
BHPian

Nice trick to calculate average, will try on next refill. Due to Fiesta fever my visit to petrol pump will be more and it will take some time to come out of this fever
Old 2nd October 2009, 01:15   #298
BHPian

Btw: I'm almost done with the run in. 900 kms in 6 days. Yipppeee, m loving it. Actually, took it for a long drive to Shantiniketan on Navami Day. Also, planning another drive tomorrow.

Also, is the oil change at 1k necessary?
Old 2nd October 2009, 02:06   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Nice trick to calculate average, will try on next refill. Due to Fiesta fever my visit to petrol pump will be more and it will take some time to come out of this fever
its called the great tankfull to tankfull method
Old 4th October 2009, 23:24   #300
Div

Hi,

Its 10 days now, that I got my 1.6 ZXI Platinum. Here are few of the snaps.

Want to understand the rev limits, since I find it difficult to keep under 3K rpm. And upto what kms. should I consider keeping in under limits??

Mod's Note: Please visit the Announcements section and go through the write-up on how to load pictures on the server. Images on your local drive (C can not be seen by others over the net.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks