Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 00:25   #541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
I am comparing the i20 Asta which has ACC.....
thats the i20 variant i was talking about too. it was really well put together. though i wasn't happy about the engine spec (1.2) when the i20 was launched, i came away really really impressed with the car. very solid engineering and great interior design.
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:17   #542
BHPian

Can any one Jazz tell me some 7 reasons(apart from HONDA brand) why any one should pay 1-2 lakh extra over Hyunday i20 to buy Jazz ?

cheers
Anju
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:42   #543
Senior - BHPian

I read in the release news that the Jazz is 77% localised from day 1 in India. That should bring the price DOWN, right??

I can't give anyone any reason, leave alone 7, to opt for the Jazz over the i20. Especially now that Hyundai is going to introduce the diesel soon.

IMHO not providing alloys is a blessing in disguise for a buyer. If the alloys were designed anything like the OEM wheel covers (Yuk) would prefer after market ones anyway.

I agree with jmshaw's opinion that the AirCon controls look "all over the place". Somehow the dashboard looks cluttered, over-sized and a little vacant all at the same time.

GTO mentioned that the Jazz is better suited to 4 people, rather than 5. That implies that it is not really that well packaged? So if one has a family of four, or is single and doesn't expect any more than 3 guests to ride in the car (and other permutations and combinations), BUT regularly transports a lot of goods and kit that makes the storage space handy, and finally have spare cash lying around doing nothing, and still want to go for the Honda brand for snob value, then one should go for the Jazz.

Why, Honda? Why?

Last edited by VeluM : 3rd July 2009 at 11:47. Reason: Typos.
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:29   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I read in the release news that the Jazz is 77% localised from day 1 in India. That should bring the price DOWN, right??

Why, Honda? Why?
Well it seems that HSCIL has positioned the Jazz as an entry level car for people who used to earlier buy the City EXI. With the aspirational value the Hohda brand commands in India, a large number of customers may end up buying the Jazz. It may cannibalise the sales of the City to an extent. However, Honda may not mind that as the Margins on the Jazz should be much higher on thr Jazz than the City given the small car tax benefits it enjoys.

If there is an incremental sale of 1000 units ( Jazz + City) per month I think the HSCIL Bras will be pretty happy. Now that the initial euphoria ver the launch of the City is over, it woud not have been easy for Honda to clock 3500 unit per month. With new entrants like Linea in the market, prospective customers have more options available to them. Honda it seems, is happy to skim the upper end of the market till the time Toyota decides to go head on by launching a competitor, or the Indian Car buying Junta decides that they are unwilling to pay the premium any more.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:31   #545
BHPian

If you ask me, i don't even have 1 reason to go for Jazz. If i have to spend 8 lacs, i will add another 1 and go for ANHC. IF my budget doesn't permit lac and i want only Hatch back, i would go for i20. Jazz is surely a not VFM- of you ask me...
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:21   #546
BHPian

When I had gone to see the Jazz at the showroom, I overheard one fellow enquiring how much he would get for his old NHC if he exchanged it for the Jazz. The showroom people then quoted him some figure he could expect to get.

Don't know 7 reasons, but I think a good one is that people with earlier NHCs who want to stick with Honda but not shell out more for the ANHC may go in for the jazz in exchange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
Can any one Jazz tell me some 7 reasons(apart from HONDA brand) why any one should pay 1-2 lakh extra over Hyunday i20 to buy Jazz ?

cheers
Anju
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:37   #547
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, i spoke with a Honda dealer
it seems he has a booking of 40 jazz cars. Out of which
15 are being delivered.

I see several possible buyers

1. Female owners
2. Second Car buyers meant for family / kid's use
3. People who want to buy Innova, bit does not want to keep driver
and want a cheaper option
4. Old Honda car owners who want to remain in H-club, but does not
want to buy ANHC
5. It could be good vehicle for Hospitals as Ambulance
6. First time upgraders who are fed up with Maruti, FIAT and FORD

still we need to watch next 3-4 months to understand the future
of Jazz more clearly.
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:38   #548
BHPian

Starvegbou..

Honda does a stupendous job at making products for very targeted customer base.
Some of which you already guessed..

As for Jazz is concerned it is targeted for,

1.Who loves brand appeal of Honda.
2.Daughter or son of rich dad like CEO/MD of the company.
3.NRI/foriegn return guys & thier wives with load of money and drooling over love for Honda's in USA.
4.Wife/kids of rich husband who drives Corrola,Mercs.

So Honda is not behind people who look for Value for Money and they don't expect to sell very high numbers either.
I think they know whom they want to sell.

cheers
Anju
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:40   #549
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
GTO mentioned that the Jazz is better suited to 4 people, rather than 5. That implies that it is not really that well packaged?
The Jazz is exceedingly well packaged in terms of interior + boot space. Room is very well utilised. I may have said its better for 4 than 5, but most hatches are (except for some like the Vista, Getz etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I see several possible buyers

1. Female owners
I've seen 4 Jazz' on the road till date. 3 of them were driven by women.
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:46   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Honda does a stupendous job at making products for very targeted customer base.
Anju
Yes, I agree

i just remembered one more target customer

Five Star hotels that need pick up/drop cars
generally there will be one or two customer / car plus their big bags
Jaaz is the perfect car for such purpose.
Old 3rd July 2009, 20:16   #551
BHPian

nah. Innova is an 8-seater and Jazz is a 5 seater. They play in different segments.
They probably "look" similar. But thats about it.

And it won't be useful for taxi/hotels also. You get Diesel sedans at that price which can hold larger luggage than Jazz.

I see Jazz only gonna be lapped up by Honda fanboys, rich dudes/wifes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
3. People who want to buy Innova, bit does not want to keep driver
and want a cheaper option

Last edited by neotraveller : 3rd July 2009 at 20:18.
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:05   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know some possible reasons for opting for Jazz over C segment sedans which is what probably it competes with, not necessarily over i20.
  1. Cabin space and comfort which rivals best in the C/C+ segement
  2. Standard safety features which are equal or better then those offered in C segment cars. I know some cars in this segemnt do not offer air-bag even as an option.
  3. Performance (0-100 figure of 13.29 secs according to ACI) which is equal or better then many C segment petrol cars
  4. FE which better then most C segment petrol cars
  5. Luggage space which is close to some C segment cars with added benefit of flexible cabin
  6. Unmatched reliability and engineering fineness offered by the brand in the price range it operates
  7. Rear vissibility and ease of parking better then sedans
I dont see a single reason why a potential NHC buyer not wanting to opt for Jazz, unless he/she is particular about something a 3 box can offer over a bootless car.

Last edited by Guna : 3rd July 2009 at 22:12.
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:34   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anju
one practical reason i can think of is :
there exists a specific requirement for a car that will be primarily driven in the city and most of the times the rear seats would also be occupied, along with some luggage.

i say this because, i think the rear seat on the jazz would be more spacious (??) , at least appear to be definitely, as the sloping rear roof of the i20 kind of makes it feel smaler.

mind you, even then i think i am nitpicking to find flaws with the i20. like GTO said, how many hatches rival the Vista and the Getz in space ??

Morover, given the 1.2 engine, anyways we aren't exactly talking about rip-roaring performance. So within those restrictive parameters, the i20 definitely has the higher FTD factor given its smaller dimensions. (and lesser weight ?? not sure of the weights.)

so basically for someone who is NOT looking for the value of Honda as a brand whose product he desires to own, the Jazz really makes no sense over the Hyundai i20.

You know what i think ?? i think after the launch of the Jazz, Hyundai i20 sales are actually going to go up. I would be really interested to know how many prospective customers who are thinking of getting a 1.2 premium hatch, compare features and end up buying the i20 instead. will need to follow sales figures closely to see if such a pattern develops.

Standard disclaimer - "Strictly my opinion".

Last edited by hell_rider : 3rd July 2009 at 22:41.
Old 4th July 2009, 17:33   #554
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Had been to our Honda dealer for my City's service.

This is what I snapped in the showroom:

The black was looking good, and so chose it as the model:

Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz-image_172.jpg

Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz-image_174.jpg

These are alloys fitted by the dealer, the tyres are OEM.

Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz-image_173.jpg

Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz-image_175.jpg

This is what you see when you sit behind the driver's seat.
Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz-image_182.jpg

I sat in front and put the seat in a position where I would be comfortable and came to the back and sat there.
Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz-image_183.jpg

For those of you who have not me seen me in person, I am just 2 cms short of 6 feet and a very healthy 100+ kgs (don't ever ask me how much that + is).

For good measure, I tried a similar picture in my two other vehicles:

The City: (The Jazz front seat's back moved forwards enough for my liking, whereas the City it is one notch reclined than my liking at its most straight position)
Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz-image_185.jpg

The Marina: (cloudy morning, lazy to move it out of the portico)

Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz-image_187.jpg

More than the distance from my knees to the front seat back which were more or less similar, I could stretch my legs most in the Marina!

And no, I did not take a test drive.

Last edited by trrk : 4th July 2009 at 17:35.
Old 4th July 2009, 20:37   #555
Senior - BHPian

I was watching "chakke pe chakka" on aaj tak today and my god the way they bashed poor Jazz was too much. They gave atleast 15 negatives of Jazz and just 1 positive - space.
They said and showed keys of punto and Jazz and said see the difference in class of keys itself.

I have not had a TD of Jazz but 1.2 motor looks good to carry that light weighted jazz, the roadtest people commented that with 4 people in JAZZ car felt heavy and lazy to pick up.
They said Jazz to be "rich people's small car"
Seems the Ex price of 7 lakh has really turned off people.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks