Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 01:30   #271
BHPian

i went today and checked the jazz. look wise it was ok .i was very impressed by the dash very catchy. i asked about the variants as i had read in t-bhp but the sales guy said that only single variant that is fully loaded is coming and its price is 7.02 lac ex -showroom .there were three colours but i liked the blue the most .i was also impressed by the courtsey and promptness of the staff. i was offered cold drinks ,bottled water and even snacks . if it was not for the price it was a great experience overll . didnt take the td as i was not in market for this car with this price range.
Old 12th June 2009, 02:19   #272
Team-BHP Support

Ummm... My take on a few things here after reading the review and junta's take on it.

1. Those magic seats, well... I do not know about the magic part but then a lowly Indica (the previous gen aka V2) always had those split rear seats (60:40) and the seats could fold twice over just like in Jazz and make for a huge boot. Only thing different here could be the base folding up like in some utility vehicle jump seats. Its just clever marketing to coin that Magic term.

2. People are aghast at the pricing. IMO, there are 2 ways of looking at it. The conventional way to look at it is that a hatchback car (irrespective of everything else) with a base price sticker of 6.98 lakhs will almost make it 8 lakhs in places like AP and Karnataka. Thats an aweful lot of money to spend on a hatch. No one in his right minds should buy a hatch that costs the earth and the sky.

And yet, look at all those pics. In certain ways its a fallacy to call it a hatchback. In many ways its a monobox like a van. In fact a much more stylish one in several ways than the ones available here. It can be a lifestyle vehicle for many who do not want a humongous van like vehicle for their daily runs and yet need something similar in comfort, space and with some verve thrown in. For them the Jazz may look like a perfect Fit (pun intended). Just look at the loadable space. At the minimum it is some 380 liters I believe. Thats more than what some of the sedans here offer you. And you can increase it further (albeit at the cost of passenger capacity) if required. To add to all that you get many of the modern safety features that anyhow we at Team BHP have always said should be there in every car. Jazz comes with ABS, EBD and Airbags as standard across variants. So all the razzmattaz with a new body style (yes, I still do not exactly see it as a conventional hatch, neither in looks, proportions or styling) and the driving convenience of a monobox (believe me, lot many people find driving a monobox easier than a 3 box car). Hmmm... add to that the H tag and the snob value of driving the newest car in town (just like the premium you pay for 1st day 1st show of an eagerly awaited movie) and suddenly some people may not find the 8 lakh tag that exorbitant afterall.

Last edited by Zappo : 12th June 2009 at 02:22.
Old 12th June 2009, 05:34   #273
BHPian

I checked out the JAZZ, in my view the car is very overpriced.

The boot size is really good, the back seats are not too great, the front seats are not bad, they were not offering TD's so I don't know how the car feels, my observations are from a stand still view. However I should point out that it's a really big hatch. I think it the price was lower it would have been a great hatch to buy.
Old 12th June 2009, 07:59   #274
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Like i said, i referred to reasonable success. As far as FE is concerned, i think thats more of a historical tag attached to the brand, rather than the current breed of vehicles.

Reliability is for sure a step behind, but resale stems from sales, right?
As for distribution, arent they almost equally matched to the dealers of Honda?
I agree.. Its the image of the bad old days (Astra Days- no offence to astra owners) that is main reason behind the resale and FE complains...

As per the reliability, in the JD Power Survey the Spark and Aveo were reported as cars that were most reliable. i.e. least amount of problems reported. Not a bad effort for korean rebadged Chevys. My guess is things will pick up once the newer modern platforms (no rebadged daewoo's) are introduced eg cruze, new spark.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 12th June 2009, 08:19   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I checked out the JAZZ, in my view the car is very overpriced.

The boot size is really good, the back seats are not too great, the front seats are not bad, they were not offering TD's so I don't know how the car feels, my observations are from a stand still view. However I should point out that it's a really big hatch. I think it the price was lower it would have been a great hatch to buy.
way too overpriced. The segment Honda is tragetting is definitely not a high volume zone. bad move Honda. Or am I going to have to eat my shoes???

Last edited by 14000rpm : 12th June 2009 at 08:20.
Old 12th June 2009, 08:19   #276
BHPian

I think the magic seats is an unneccessary add-on - there are movements and button mechanisms involved that will definitely costs Honda a lot more to fit in. Add to that the stereo and electrically adjustable ORVM (what good is that if they're also not electric-folding?).

Honda should remove all these and present a Jazz at 6-6.5 ex-showroom. Still expensive, but atleast something that could be considered for super-hatch buyers...

Of course, it still would be way higher than a fully loaded i20!
Old 12th June 2009, 08:21   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I read in today's news paper that Honda has sold 2.8Million (28 Lacs)
Jazz cars across 130 countries over 8 years.
it means average 350000 cars per year, 30000 cars per month

Honda is targeting to sell 2000-2500 cars per month in India which means approx 6-8% of total volumes across the world for Jazz.
(Not trying to offend your statement starvegabond rather its against Honda) Honda could be true on this but did they mention what was the engine size that they sold in those 130 countries? Here in Austraila, the smallest Engine size they offer is 1.3L (no-one goes for it,obviously). The big hit is 1.5L. So, how can Honda thinks that they can befool Indian cosumers and expect a good business with a 1.2L (which they are selling at price of 1.5L which in OZ is ~Rs.8 Lac)

Apart from this at above mentioned price, Honda jazz(abroad) comes equipped with front and rear disk breaks, rear demister, rear viper, cruise control....

Now tell me Honda where does your Indian counterpart stands up against overseas models. You are ripping us Indians completly off..........Sorry, You lost my support mate.
Old 12th June 2009, 08:41   #278
Senior - BHPian

Well, from behind, it does look like a shrunken CRV while on the move. Great space inside the car!
Old 12th June 2009, 09:02   #279
Senior - BHPian

Well of course the pricing has put off many, but just wanted to add my two cents. Honda has stopped work in the Rajasthan facility so of course they are not looking at big numbers. So imo they have gone the quality over quantity route and deliberately kept the quality levels up and price high.
If you look at ANHC, apart from the engine and the boot the car falls behind Jazz in every aspect. The quality of plastic, the sound quality of the music system, the dashboard and the side panels, the wipers, everything is better in Jazz. Therefore you get what you pay for... Its not merely features like climate control, its the quality of materials used which matters a lot. Jazz comes very close to Fabia in this respect.
It would make a perfect city runabout for those who are squeezed for parking spaces and have the moolah. The steep pricing would also ensure everyone wont end up owning it like Swift thus giving you the exclusivity the car/price like this deserves. Would I have liked a lower price, absolutely! But I still appreciate the high quality trim levels and what this car offers. It would make a perfect City car, small on outside, big on inside. Enough grunt in the city and good mileage to complement. Even a freind of mine who owns an SX4, liked this car over it!
Old 12th June 2009, 09:48   #280
Senior - BHPian

At localization percentage of around 80% I fail to justify the price no matter how good is the quality. The Australian version someome talked about above, comes with a bigger engine and lots of other extra's which are missing in the Indian version and still costs comparitively cheaper. We also have to keep in mind the cost of manufacturing that car in Australia and all the other related expenses. Honda would spend a fraction of the cost to build the car here given the meagre salaries and environmental laws than Australia and still is priced very high.
i20 more or less offers the same. High quality interiors, better equipment, better safety, better looks so if someone is on the look out for a car thats isnt big and is easy to drive in the city then why not the Hyundai.
There is always a value attached to a particular product and its virtues, but priced this high all the good things are undone.
Old 12th June 2009, 09:58   #281
BHPian

We are seeing some people trying to justify the exorbitant price by saying "ohh so much space inside. Its not a hatch, its a super-hatch ... ".
Think people, think.
super-hatch or not, it is still much smaller than sedans like Fiesta/SX4/Linea at that price.
My fellow countrymen, please donot fall for Honda's gimmickry this time!
Old 12th June 2009, 10:05   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda's pricing has been a shocker and, at 6.98 lakhs (ex showroom Delhi) doesn't offer value. The difference between the top-end Jazz and the entry level City is a mere 48,000 (City 1.5 E MT @ 7.81 lakhs).
Nice review GTO, thanks!

The only thing I don't agree with is why the sedan is automatically the preferred/superior choice and hence can be much higher priced than the hatch. Is there any technical or performance superiority the AHNC offers over the Jazz, or is it just the extra boot space that gives many the perception AHNC>Jazz?

Reminds me of the similar Fusion-Fiesta dilemma I had an year back!
Old 12th June 2009, 10:10   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Honda has stopped work in the Rajasthan facility so of course they are not looking at big numbers. So imo they have gone the quality over quantity route and deliberately kept the quality levels up and price high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The steep pricing would also ensure everyone wont end up owning it like Swift thus giving you the exclusivity the car/price like this deserves.
A hatchback with 77% localization content is surely no sign of any exclusivity. According to the media reports Jazz has the highest localization content among the vehicles they offer in India. And for a car that looks like one designed to sell in large numbers, it simply does not make any economic sense to sell in small numbers. And how can high pricing give exclusivity to a car? It looks like a very good car offered at a very wrong price.
Old 12th June 2009, 10:11   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Is there any technical or performance superiority the AHNC offers over the Jazz, or is it just the extra boot space that gives many the perception AHNC>Jazz?
The city is a 1.5 ltr engine, where as jazz is a 1.2 ltr engine. The city is more powerful than a jazz.
Old 12th June 2009, 10:20   #285
Senior - BHPian

this car fails to impress. Other than the 'magic' seats. There is no WOW factor. This car loogs big though. ITs way bigger than what i imagined, GTO might second that too.

Anways the only sparling thig about this car would be its engine, we all are suckers for vtecs, and record too has it that the vtec is a bloody amazing engine.

At 8 lacs this car should have offered more, more air bags, more features, more creature comforts, more FUN.

At 8 lacs i wanted the lovely tapeziod door handles that are there in the type R civic hatch back, i wanted the triangular mad exhaust built in the read mudgaurd, i wanted a mad dashboard . . . .

first time in india honda have launched a car and i am not a BIT excited about it. Honda in India has always been about redefining the wheel, giving what was never expected, be it two wheelers or 4 wheelers. The civic is a crazy machine, accord re-written the rules of affordable luxury driving, the ohc, nhc and the anhc too were extereme mchines - love or hate....

this jazz is like nice jazz music playing in your background when you in the 5 star lobby, impresses you but you will never want to buy it....lacks the xing in it.

cheers,
ac

Most Viewed