Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 17:59   #241
Senior - BHPian

I think we are missing some link here.
Honda must have conducted some study which might have
concluded thus:
"There are a plethora of Indian Customers who are prepared to shell that
extra lakh for a premium badge"

They cannot go wrong with the pricing every time. There is something else than what meets the eye.
Old 11th June 2009, 18:09   #242
Senior - BHPian

For all of you cribbing about the overpriced price tag, maybe Honda has got a small surprise for you by way of inaugural discounts or loyalty exchanges. Just wait a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
My Aveo has 2480mm and Jazz has 2500mm. So, I am considering this as something like Tata Indigo marina.
Mjothi, the M-800 has 2200mm wheelbase. It is the length & breadth of the car that counts, not the wheelbase.
Old 11th June 2009, 18:17   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
For all of you cribbing about the overpriced price tag, maybe Honda has got a small surprise for you by way of inaugural discounts or loyalty exchanges. Just wait a while.
Wow! Atleast we have a Honda fan here. So what happens to the 'Disloyal' and later down the line waiting for reviews customers?
It is overpriced for them.
Again, loyalty bonus is not something which will bring the car to its actual monetary value. No offense.
Old 11th June 2009, 18:24   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy!!!! View Post
Impressive review indeed, but Jazz seems to be too pricey. With the number contendors increasing in the super hatch market, this segment is the one to watch out for.... I sincerly hope Fiat prices the Grande Punto right vis-a-vis its features, it might be a game changer.

Fiat.co.uk | Fiat Grande Punto 5-Dr : Explore the Fiat Grande Punto 5-Dr, Economy, Safety, Style, Technology

Just to juxtapose the GP and the Jazz to get some feeling. I felt they are totally in a different segment all together. GP looks like an upgrade to me in the same category from my Indica, but the Jazz feels like one above.

Not sure...still thinking...

- Harish
Old 11th June 2009, 18:24   #245
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Clever car jack of all trades, king of neither.
Truly. Like most mainstream Japanese cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Like i said, i referred to reasonable success. As far as FE is concerned, i think thats more of a historical tag attached to the brand, rather than the current breed of vehicles.

Reliability is for sure a step behind, but resale stems from sales, right?
As for distribution, arent they almost equally matched to the dealers of Honda?
Check out the brand study that Vasudeva uploaded in the May Sales thread. Must read for any car enthusiast. Building a brand, the way that Maruti, Hyundai, Honda & Toyota have done, takes years & years of effort.

From GM India's current product lineup:

Spark = Superb for the price
Aveo : Outclassed
Optra : Outclassed (though competitive in some ways)
Tavera : Outclassed
Captiva : Decent diesel soft-roader. Soon to be murdered by the Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I believe it's about 78%. Jazz is the most localized Honda till date.
It shares a heck of a lot of parts with the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnvaa View Post
While everyone's ranting about the price, the simple explanation might be that Honda can't produce more than 20,000 of these in a year and therefore they want to price it in such a way that the demand doesn't outstrip supply by a large margin.
Smart point. Could be so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
For substantially lesser money, one can get a SX4; but still City sells more.
In my books, and as an owner of a Honda City, I'd say the City's success for each of the three generations in India is well justified. The first (which I own) was the most powerful & had almost no competition. The second gen was Mr. practical. The third is what I would buy in the segment (either that or the Fiesta 1.6S).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
1. How much would you be willing to pay for it?
7.0 OTR Mumbai. That's a lakh lesser than its current price. And with some add-ons (height adjustable seat, telescopic steering, alloys etc.).

Quote:
2. Since you've driven the i20 too - doesn't the Jazz pricing make it easy for Hyundai to bring in another variant with a better powered petrol engine?
One word : Diesel i20 . Now, that would really be something. Hyundai ought to forget the 1.4 petrol entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvk84 View Post
im glad that i didnt wait for Jazz and settled for Ritz instead.
Hey, how about an ownership review of your Ritz? We could use some more Ritz reviews!
Old 11th June 2009, 18:33   #246
oss
BHPian

Wonderful opportunity for Hyundai and i hope they make the most of it. i20 seem value for money all of a sudden. If Hyundai brings out the CRDi version of i20, even at 6.5 lakhs for the Asta would be terrific value for money, courtersy Honda.

I wish Skoda also does the same by getting the 1.2 TSi and 1.4 TDI-CR from VW stable in the Fabia, and am sure they will find a good number of taker for it.

With all these action around, can Ford be far behind. Every other car in the country look reasonably priced all of a sudden
Old 11th June 2009, 18:35   #247
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The only way to justify this car's price is to look at it as a 'car' and not as a hatch or sedan or suv. A car that is roomy and has adequate luggage space. Or look at it as a City with more spacious interior, lower power and reduced luggage carrying capacity.

Something tells me Honda should have no trouble moving the 20k units per annum.
Honda's Sales Planning is fabulous, the way they plan to topple the market in 1-2-3 years time. They start with relatively lower targets. IMO they'll get away with price, 20000 are not too high a number to achieve.

take an example - take a 5-star hotel, lets say a dish of a particular sabji is costing there rs. 500/-. against that the same dish in a very very good nearby AC-restaurant/ hotel would be costing rs. 200/-. still that 5-star hotel will continue to attract people eating that dish. they;ve different reasons going there which is ok. "logo" ki kami nahin hai ghalib____
Old 11th June 2009, 18:42   #248
BHPian

Masahiro Takedagawa, CEO and president of Honda's India JV Honda Siel Cars India (HSCI), said the company expected modest volumes from the new model which could be around half of what it sells through City between 2,000 units and 2,500 units monthly. However, market analysts said the numbers could be lower than Honda's target, as the car market is still in a revival mode and not really rosy.
Old 11th June 2009, 18:59   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Let us for a moment think that I have zeroed in on NHC (the older one). Now, Jazz provides all of what was there in NHC + a lot more than that at the same price - agreed it doesn't have a boot but the (boot) space is almost similar (500lts vs. 384lts). And (no, not for a moment do I agree with the current steep pricing) Jazz provides all of that at the same (previous) cost as NHC.

As someone pointed out already, Jazz is the "new" NHC. (ANHC is a different league altogether).

And yes, I agree with Amtak - it wouldn't be dumb to switch (from a choice of NHC) to Jazz.
Precisely! NHC VTEC+ in a slightly smaller avatar. NHC VTEC+ with the airbags/ABS was around 9L ex-showroom Bangalore. Except the engine and the boot (384 lts is quite a bit, actually!), things have only gotten better.

Not that I am onboard with Jazz pricing, but how cheaper could they price it?

PS: The length is more than 4 mts but the engine is < 1200CC. Does it qualify for lower excise? I mean, is it length AND engine capacity to qualify for 8% less excise duty?
Old 11th June 2009, 19:00   #250
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. Really happy that manufacturers are seeing value in us & wanted our reviews on their new launches. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. Iam sure its a question of time before we read every new cars review right in our forum. One stop solution - TEAM-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even after driving a 7 lakh 1.2 liter Jazz, I still think that the Ritz 1.2 is fabulous. Believe me, it's an equal. The Ritz has superior driveability than the Jazz and, thanks to the lighter weight, feels peppier over a 100 too. I never thought that Maruti would manage to match Honda in petrol engines. But with the 1.2's, they sure have. Be it in refinement, FE or even power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
M
The only grouse I have with the car is its inflated pricetag + lack of equipment. A lakh lesser and this hatch would have dominated the premium hatch market & eaten everyone for lunch.
Jazz is costlier by more than 2 Lakhs in comparison to Ritz. On features Ritz is in par with Jazz. Even if its lesser by a lakh rupees from its current pricing, it would be still costlier by a whopping Rs.1 lakh plus than Ritz. Okay, In this case, Honda will definitely sell due to its 'H' badge. But will that eat into the sales? (Is RITZ under premium segment :( )

Also I have seen in many places it has been mentioned that "HONDA' is meant for reliability, have been using Swift for nearly 4 years covered well in excess of 50k kms & felt it reliable as I was not left stranded due to some failures. Hence always have a question with me . Request someone to clarify on this

Last edited by Surprise : 11th June 2009 at 19:05.
Old 11th June 2009, 19:11   #251
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the right competition for the Jazz would be the VW Polo and Hyundai I30. Not Ritz or Swift or even i20. Fabia doesnt even get a mention in my thoughts!
Old 11th June 2009, 19:13   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcool View Post
the honda fit in the US comes with a usb interface and sat nav which looks awesome, i am hoping we can get a dash kit for touchscreens later
but then again, why is it in india that we cant get our cars built the way we want them? why dont we get options?
we get one sorry version of the car at an exorbitant price
bad honda ... bad bad honda !!!
Off topic,

Here in US we envy you guys in India who can walk to a roadside accessory shop and load your car with millions of options and accessories, which would cost as much as the car itself, if you get done in US. Trust me, if you want to get a car built the way you want, you are better off in India.

Personally for me, miles per gallon is the most important factor in evaluating the efficiency of a car (how well it converts chemical energy to kinetic energy). You may compare it with i20 and what not, but I could just not make my mind to buy a brand whose MPG was less than honda/toyota/nissan in all segments (suzuki, hynudai, kia, the detroit three).
Old 11th June 2009, 19:25   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
IMO, the right competition for the Jazz would be the VW Polo and Hyundai I30. Not Ritz or Swift or even i20. Fabia doesnt even get a mention in my thoughts!
I know Iam wrong, but would love to learn-WHY?

Let me take RITZ here, for me both are 1.2L with almost similar power and torque, both has similar safety features- For Honda it has been mentioned "i-vTEC", but how does that going to benefit me.... both were reported to give similar FE figures - Why should not I compare RITZ with JAZZ.
Old 11th June 2009, 19:46   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

buy a chrome plated H and get a car free

i don't blame the pricing. they are much smarter and surely know their stuff. some companies choose to sell their stuff at traffic signals and some choose to sell their stuff in boutique stores.

but i guess they should have loaded it with few more features. i would be happy to pay bit more if i know i haven't compromised on anything. but this car sure is a compromise as far equipment level is concerned.
Old 11th June 2009, 19:58   #255
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Off topic,

Here in US we envy you guys in India who can walk to a roadside accessory shop and load your car with millions of options and accessories, which would cost as much as the car itself, if you get done in US.
Your envy will come to a stand still when you see $70 per hour labour charges on your American repair bill. I've never done so many DIY maintenance tasks on a car, as I did during my stay in Boston.

Comparing Indian car prices to that of American is a futile exercise:

1. Much larger market : For instance, a Camry sells 4,00,000 units in the States.

2. Difference in tax structures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks