Team-BHP - Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/60146-review-2nd-gen-honda-jazz-113.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Guys, what difference are you seeing on the dashboard fuel efficiency figures compared to actuals?

I see a variation of 1 - 1.5km.

My Jazz also has similar variation. 0.8-1 when driven on highway and around 1.2 in the city. I had suggested the SM guy to reset the ECU. But he did not agree. Any other suggestions to reduce this variation ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbrtz125 (Post 2801687)
My Jazz also has similar variation. 0.8-1 when driven on highway and around 1.2 in the city. I had suggested the SM guy to reset the ECU. But he did not agree. Any other suggestions to reduce this variation ?

Do not think an ECU reset will help. I tried it. Looks like that how its build into the system. My face glowed when I saw 22.3km/l on my last trip to BLR.:D

To overcome the Jazz's low-RPM lethargy, many posts have suggested that the car be driven "enthusiastically" - a term which I understood to mean upshift late / downshift early and let the engine run at high RPMs.

Doesn't this driving style affect the FE adversely? Or is the ivtec designed to run at higher RPMs?

I'm a bit confused because during my test drive, I was told that the best way to maximize FE was to drive in the higher gears as far as possible. Demonstrating this technique, the sales guy drove the car in 4th gear while at 25-30 kmph in city traffic. As promised, the instant FE meter went all the way up when he did this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by qaqa (Post 2803150)
I'm a bit confused because during my test drive, I was told that the best way to maximize FE was to drive in the higher gears as far as possible. Demonstrating this technique, the sales guy drove the car in 4th gear while at 25-30 kmph in city traffic. As promised, the instant FE meter went all the way up when he did this!

The higher the rpm, the more the fuel that will be consumed. i-vtec or not.
If you want to extract fe from jazz then it needs to be driven around, a bit, lethargically!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkrishn (Post 2803196)
The higher the rpm, the more the fuel that will be consumed. i-vtec or not.

Though I agree that higher rpm = more fuel consumed, lower rpms is not always equal to better efficiency!
Consider the following cases-
So 'Lugging' the engine would never help one get better fuel efficiency figures, i-Vtec or not!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravind.anand
!So 'Lugging' the engine would never help one get better fuel efficiency figures, i-Vtec or not!

But ideally youd downshift and probably at 40kmph i doubt if youd be in 5th gear. Trick is to keep the rpm between 1500 to 2500 for maximum fuel effeciency. Thus change gears effectively to maintain that rpm.
Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parthasarathig (Post 2803228)
But ideally youd downshift and probably at 40kmph i doubt if youd be in 5th gear. Trick is to keep the rpm between 1500 to 2500 for maximum fuel effeciency. Thus change gears effectively to maintain that rpm.
Regards

That's interesting. I thought that the Jazz remains sluggish till ~2k RPM (Jazz owners, correct me if I'm wrong). So, effectively, the car needs to be driven in a narrow range of 2000-2500 RPM to get decent FE and torque.

Seems to be a tough ask, especially for the not-so-careful drivers like me..

Quote:

Originally Posted by qaqa (Post 2803257)
So, effectively, the car needs to be driven in a narrow range of 2000-2500 RPM to get decent FE and torque.

Seems to be a tough ask, especially for the not-so-careful drivers like me..

Not necessarily, though all Honda engines lack the low end juice, they are pretty fuel efficient. So driving your Jazz between 2000 and 3500 rpm would not grab a huge slice out of your economy pie. My personal view is that, the slight deterioration in fuel efficiency is well worth all the extra fun that you have compared to life at 2000 rpm ;)

Edit: Figure this - the best fuel efficiency I managed to squeeze out of my Dad's Honda City is 12.2 Kmpl, but the worst I have got, with carefree driving, top speed tests et all is 10.93! So I prefer the adrenalin rush compared to the 1.3 kmpl I save :I Rule:

If I were to drive a bit "enthusiastically", what kind of FE can I expect ? Since most of my driving will be in the city, I don't expect to cross 3rd gear very often.

I heard that the ivtec's aggressive cam kicks in at speeds > 90kmph, killing the FE. What kind of real-world numbers can I expect for highway driving, doing say 90-100 kmph for extended periods?

How does the Jazz's ride compare against the new Swift, at city speeds? Is the new Swift's ride as harsh as the Jazz?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravind.anand (Post 2803448)
Not necessarily, though all Honda engines lack the low end juice, they are pretty fuel efficient. So driving your Jazz between 2000 and 3500 rpm would not grab a huge slice out of your economy pie. My personal view is that, the slight deterioration in fuel efficiency is well worth all the extra fun that you have compared to life at 2000 rpm ;)

Edit: Figure this - the best fuel efficiency I managed to squeeze out of my Dad's Honda City is 12.2 Kmpl, but the worst I have got, with carefree driving, top speed tests et all is 10.93! So I prefer the adrenalin rush compared to the 1.3 kmpl I save.

Don't know about the FR of the Jazz, but complaints have begun to surface regarding the build-quality, ride-quality and fuel economy of the small Brio. Check out the following post and the posts below it:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2801852

Let hope the problems, if any, are specific to the Brio. I'm seriously considering a Jazz/Ertiga or a Sumo/Bolero as my next car and I would certainly not want a beauty like the Jazz to have a poor FE or poor build-quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by misquitas (Post 2803663)
if any, are specific to the Brio. I'm seriously considering a Jazz/Ertiga or a Sumo/Bolero as my next car and I would certainly not want a beauty like the Jazz to have a poor FE or poor build-quality.

Unlike the Brio, Jazz is a proven vehicle in different markets, and even on our forum, there are quite a few long term reviews from very satisfied Jazz owners. Personally, I find the Jazz build quality top-notch.

With Brio, the said niggles maybe due to the fact that it was build to play the cost advantage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2803684)
Unlike the Brio, Jazz is a proven vehicle in different markets, and even on our forum, there are quite a few long term reviews from very satisfied Jazz owners. Personally, I find the Jazz build quality top-notch.

With Brio, the said niggles maybe due to the fact that it was build to play the cost advantage.

It's good that Jazz build quality is top notch and it certainly has a loyal following. I'm one of them. If there were a Jazz lover club, I'd probably have been a life member!

In fact, wife and I went to a Honda showroom here in Panjim, but unfortunately, the TD vehicle was at its other branch at Verna, 25 kms from Panjim. So, our TD has been postponed for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qaqa
What kind of real-world numbers can I expect for highway driving, doing say 90-100 kmph for extended periods?

How does the Jazz's ride compare against the new Swift, at city speeds? Is the new Swift's ride as harsh as the Jazz?

I can only comment about the highway driving part. After the first 1000kms as you know the engine shapes up pretty well. On my very new honda city which had done only 600kms i managed to squeeze out 13kmpl on the hills and around 16 to 17kmpl on the plains. Im known to be a very sedate driver. You can see my posts on the figo thread, my petrol figo has given me mileage of upto 18 to 19kmpl when driven very sedately. Even the i-vtec has responded pretty well to my driving pattern and hopefully you'll be able to get good mileage out of your car too. At 90 to 100 kmph constant speeds you can expect 15kmpl at the most i guess.
And regarding the previous posts, my honda city even pulls in 3rd gear at speeds of 30kmph without a hassle. Probably cause the engine hasnt completed the break in period?! And jazz is known to be a better car than the swift. If my choice wasnt a sedan, i was going for the jazz.

Hi,

At last after almost 15 months I will finally book the Jazz in 2-3 days.
I will try to see if I can get some accessories free. But if not, I have a list of accessories which I feel important but Money factor may prevent me to do so. Can existing Jazz owners and experts help me in decide must have accessories.

1. Seat Covers.
2. Sun Film
3. Carpet Lamination.
4. Mud Flaps
5. Mats.
6. Reverse Sensors.

I also feel I should opt for 3M underbody coating and paint protection.
From above list, Seat Covers and Sun Film will charge the most.

Please help me in deciding the accessories list.

Regards,
Vyenky

If you are booking other than X model, seat covers may be necessary since the seats are beige.

Sun film - in view of the ban on films, I suggest you wait a while. While the Jazz does cry out for film in our climate, wait and watch better for time being.

Door pad lamination (they are beige too) may help more. Just put mats of your choice on the carpets.

Car comes with mud flaps.

Reverse sensor is the mirror type, which I am not too fond of, but again your choice if you feel you cannot judge the rear.

3M underbody and panel rust protection is a must, IMO.