Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:23   #391
Senior - BHPian

Swift has it's own advantages and limitations compared to any competition. But if one reviews/rate it as a comprehensive package (including but not limited to MASS service etc.) in my opinion it is the best VFM car available in that segment. in Most cases "What you pay is what you get" but sometimes (In case of Swift D especially) you get much more to what you pay.
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:07   #392
BHPian

so your saying the buying the swift D after the launch of ritz is still a very good buy
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:24   #393
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

My VFM rating

Vista QJ> Vista Petrol > Ritz> Petrol > Ritz Diesel > I10 Magna Auto > I20 Base Petrol > Swift P > Swift D > I10 Magna

Drive Good

Swift D > Vista D > Ritz D > I10 Auto > I20 > I10 Manual > Swift, Vista, ritz P

Safety

I20 Top Mod> Ritz Top Mod> I10 Top Mod> Swift TopMod> Vista Top Mod.

Over all Feel good

I20 > Vista > I10 > Ritz > Swift

Current Global Brand ranking;

Hyundai (upcoming brand)= fiat (Old and long distance brand) both > suzuki > Tata.

Can change in favour of Tata and Fiat with their new initiiatives over the next 5 years.
Old 2nd June 2009, 23:59   #394
BHPian

I feel its a total disaster.
Maruti was planing for sedan and got boared in between and left it halfway.
Nothing looks cool except the ICE.
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:07   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keralshobhit View Post
I feel its a total disaster.
Maruti was planing for sedan and got boared in between and left it halfway.
Nothing looks cool except the ICE.
You do realize that this car is not made by Maruti alone!! And that looks might be subjective.

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-vauxhallagilacdti.jpg

It is also marketed by Vauxhall.
Link 1
Link 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Suzuki Splash is a city car introduced in model year 2008 and jointly developed between Suzuki Motor Corporation and Opel — which will also market their version as the Agila. It debuted as a concept car at the 2006 Paris Auto Show and the production model debuted at the 2007 Frankfurt Auto Show. The Splash is slotted below the Swift in the lineup, and uses a shortened wheelbase version of its chassis.
So why blame Suzuki and Maruti only? Blame Opel too
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:11   #396
BHPian

The upright posterior style of Ritz, WagonR, A-Star etc seem like borrowed from the Omni.

OT: The Engineers of the Design unit of MSIL were perhaps only given the Omni as free transport. They are now taking sweet revenge by putting some Omni in every new model!
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:15   #397
BHPian

Yup I am not blaming Maruti or Suzuki or Opel...
I am just concerned about the mind setup of that car designer who designed its back.
I feel designer had some major frustrations in his life and it came out in his work.
Old 3rd June 2009, 18:27   #398
BHPian

Ritz -- LXI or LDI?

Hi there,

I need some advice in shortlisting an engine for the Ritz. At present the cheapest variants here in Goa is:

Ritz LDI -- 5,10,144
Ritz LXI -- 4,33,448

The difference between the two models is about Rs 76,000.

I have been told by the Maruti showroom that the average certified mileage for the LXI is 17 kmpl and LDI is 22 kmpl.

The average price for petrol is 41 per litre and for diesel is Rs 33 per litre.

I assume that that the LXI and the LDI car -- except for the engine -- is almost the same. I am told that both engines are really good.

Going by the FE mentioned by the Maruti showroom and the price for the fuel, rough calculations suggest that the running cost just to travel would be Rs 2.4 per km for the LXI model and Rs 1.5 for the LDI model. As such, one would save 90 paise per km or Rs 9000 per 10,000 kms in an LDI model.

It would, therefore, take an LDI owner to travel for about 80,000 kms to save Rs 72,000 over the LXI model. This would still be Rs 4,000 short than the initial cost for the LDI.

I would need to drive for over 80,000 kms (going by my average travel of about 13,000 kms per year, it would take me about 6 years to cover 78,000 kms), just to reap the savings of an LDI model.

Does it then still make sense to opt for the LDI, or should I consider the LXI?

Or am I wrong in my calculations/logic?

Do advise me in this matter.

Thanks,
Melvyn
Goa
Old 3rd June 2009, 18:52   #399
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post

Or am I wrong in my calculations/logic?
Your logic seems fine. I'd suggest test drive and decide whether you want the torquey diesel or the free revving petrol.

See the FE claimed by MUL might not be accurate in absolute numbers, but it does reflect the difference between the petrol and diesel satisfactorily.

Both engines are good, but would drive very differently.

Think about it this way, diesel justifes only half of its premium [practically speaking], but if you prefer the way this diesel drives, bear the other half of the premium and buy it. Otherwise petrol it is.

Remember, a lot of those swift diesels sold because of the driving experience of that diesel, so try it, its not just about money.
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:23   #400
BHPian

Ritz -- petrol or diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Your logic seems fine. I'd suggest test drive and decide whether you want the torquey diesel or the free revving petrol.

Both engines are good, but would drive very differently.

Remember, a lot of those swift diesels sold because of the driving experience of that diesel, so try it, its not just about money.

Thanks, SLK, for your quick response. Now, I am not one of those esteemed drivers (on this forum) who would dissect an engine the way a surgeon dissects the human body. As such, I would not bother about the difference between a diesel or a petrol engine, nor would I understand the difference between a "Torquey diesel" or a "free revving petrol" engine in any case. Hence, a test drive with both engines would be, at best, an academic exercise.

I currently own an ALTO LXI and it is way, way underpowered in comparison to the Ritz. but it has served me well simply because of one crucial factor -- economics.

I am also given to understand that the new KB engines on the Ritz are good, may be better than the older petrol engines that grace the Swift LXI (that could probably explain why the diesel engines on the Swift have been far more popular than the petrol engines on the Swift). My dilemma, hence, is in choosing between a new/refined petrol KB engine and a diesel engine that is Rs 76K costlier.

Thanks,
Melvyn
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:22   #401
BHPian

Melvyn, unless you drive a lot of miles in a year, dont go for the diesel. As your calculations suggest, it would take you nearly 5 years to make up for the diesel premium.

The major difference that I have seen between petrol and diesel Swifts is that the diesel Swift's power band starts from about 2000 rpm and it holds till about 4000 rpm. The petrol Swift on the other hand, has delivers its power from about 3500 rpm to about 5000 rpm. So the diesel delivers the power quicker and at lesser revvs. If that suits your driving style, then go for the diesel.

That being said, do test drive both of them. Some people prefer diesel while others prefer petrol. Choose whichever one you feel comfortable with.
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:50   #402
Senior - BHPian

Melvyn, I have test driven both the petrol and the diesel and I would recommend the petrol any day. It is silky smooth and 'free revving' as mentioned earlier. Having said that, the diesel is very good as well and it makes sense if your daily usage is going to be fairly high.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:59   #403
BHPian

Quote:

It would, therefore, take an LDI owner to travel for about 80,000 kms to save Rs 72,000 over the LXI model. This would still be Rs 4,000 short than the initial cost for the LDI.

I would need to drive for over 80,000 kms (going by my average travel of about 13,000 kms per year, it would take me about 6 years to cover 78,000 kms), just to reap the savings of an LDI model.

Keep in mind that the resale value of the LXi will not be the same as the LDi, so after 5 years, your LDi will still have a re-sale value proportionally higher than the LXi. Offset that against the extra interest you pay on the higher loan ammount, and factor all that into your decision.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:06   #404
BHPian

I think going by your calculations Petrol it is for you. I have test driven both petrol and Diesel. The Petrol is really nice to drive. However I must admit the surge in Diesel after 2000 RPM is awesome. What you also need to consider is the average maintenance costs for the 2. Ldi will be definitely more than the Lxi. So overall LXi fits in perfectly for you

Quote:

Going by the FE mentioned by the Maruti showroom and the price for the fuel, rough calculations suggest that the running cost just to travel would be Rs 2.4 per km for the LXI model and Rs 1.5 for the LDI model. As such, one would save 90 paise per km or Rs 9000 per 10,000 kms in an LDI model.

Goa
Old 4th June 2009, 11:12   #405
Senior - BHPian

Please also think about the fuel policy in the coming years. The current diff between petrol and diesel may be less. but i am sure it will increase in due course. As everyone know, there is no chances that govt will remove the subsidy for diesel. And so, if you can afford to pay 76K extra and you like that diesel driving, then please go for it.

Just my opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks