Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 17:50   #121
BHPian

Hi Pras,

Congrats on your new car and cool seat covers. Welcome to the Verna club. I too have a CRDi+ABS real earth color verna, not the SX model but with ABS and i have fitted 195/55R14 Bridgestone Potenza and retained the OEM rims.

Regarding the rattle noise from the dashboard, I suggest you try with another Hyundai service center and do not tell them that the other serivce guys were not able to fix or told that everything is ok, just say that you a rattling noise from the dashboard and need them to take a look.

So far no problems with the gear box and regarding the central locking, check if the door is shut properly and check for child lock latch.

Do you have autocop central locking or the central locking system provided by hyundai????

regards,
sajan
Old 25th January 2009, 20:51   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hi Pras,

Congrats on your new car and cool seat covers. Welcome to the Verna club. I too have a CRDi+ABS real earth color verna, not the SX model but with ABS and i have fitted 195/55R14 Bridgestone Potenza and retained the OEM rims.

Regarding the rattle noise from the dashboard, I suggest you try with another Hyundai service center and do not tell them that the other serivce guys were not able to fix or told that everything is ok, just say that you a rattling noise from the dashboard and need them to take a look.

So far no problems with the gear box and regarding the central locking, check if the door is shut properly and check for child lock latch.

Do you have autocop central locking or the central locking system provided by hyundai????

regards,
sajan
Thanks for the wishes sajan proud to be a verna club member, I wouldnt want to be a member of any other club!
Yes, I realized that the child lock had been set on both rear doors and I had foolishly not noticed this. What was more foolish, is that I complained about it to the service chaps, and those guys actually inspected the entire central locking system and told me that they had actually "fixed" something. I have the central locking system that comes from hyundai in the top end sx model.
I want to upgrade my tires as well, but am not equipped monetarily currently for that, as I want to upgrade the alloys as well and just tire exchange is very expensive, and I dont want to ask my dad for that much money. So I have decided that I will wear out these tires completely and save up to upgrade to alloys and 195 michelins maybe in the next 6 months sometime. BTW, have you fitted 195/55 or 195/60? I thought the latter is the right one?
For the time being I just had the interiors done, which I am very proud of having been my very first salary investment. I think well done interiors add a new dimension to the car looks and improves the feel inside.
Yes I have to decide what to do regarding the rattling. I also was hit by a M800 idiot who rammed my rear when I had stopped at a signal and then escaped. I have located (thanks to the help of a fellow tbhp member), a decent body work shop in chennai who has quoted 4k for both my bumpers (repainting and the dent fix). Someone else had left their verna their as well so I can assume that he will get me the right paint colour.
The gearbox was notchy, which they failed to rectify in the first service. When I took the car back again they bled the clutch and did a wonderful job with the gearbox, and now its become a real pleasure to drive. A smooth gearshift is essential to make the drive more pleasurable especially in a car like this that provides so much driving fun. I'm glad that you opted for the ABS on this car because it really needs it and the ABS system on the verna is absolutely wonderful and provides peace and mind. Do share more of your good/bad experiences with your car with me, so that I can keep an eye out for potential problems that may arise.
Old 25th January 2009, 20:55   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Thanks for the wishes sajan proud to be a verna club member, I wouldnt want to be a member of any other club!
Are you sure.
I thought verna owners were always intersted in the PETE'S BOX.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:23   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Are you sure.
I thought verna owners were always intersted in the PETE'S BOX.
Well thats true! Its already a monster. And the petes box is like strapping the monster to a rocket and letting it go! But yeah, I doubt if I'll ever get a petes box on my car. So I am happy being a member of a Hyundai verna club and not a Petes verna club!!
Old 25th January 2009, 22:52   #125
Senior - BHPian

Oh.
Talk to kpzen(/kpgetz) and i'm sure you will definitely go for one.
Like your signature says, no amount of deisel is enough to give the thrill but the pete's is.
Old 25th January 2009, 23:05   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Well thats true! Its already a monster. And the petes box is like strapping the monster to a rocket and letting it go! But yeah, I doubt if I'll ever get a petes box on my car. So I am happy being a member of a Hyundai verna club and not a Petes verna club!!
Hi Pras,

Just read my review on my rollacoster ride on how i got my car, two things that I found that Hyundai need to work on are the AC vents and the fog lights, there is no option to adjust the fog lights for better visibility and if you have noticed, when the AC is turned on most of it its your hand while driving.

I too had a scratch on my front bumper thanks to a dumb dio rider and the repainting at advaith hyundai just for that patch costed me 1,400.
Well, abhinav i guess adding PETE's to Verna is like fitting 2 NOS cylinders on a Ferrari

Regards,
Sajan

Last edited by sajands : 25th January 2009 at 23:08. Reason: had to add a sentence
Old 25th January 2009, 23:33   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Oh.
Talk to kpzen(/kpgetz) and i'm sure you will definitely go for one.
Like your signature says, no amount of deisel is enough to give the thrill but the pete's is.
The question is, on indian conditions, how useful really is a petes box that too on a car like the verna? I already manage to rip through in most traffic conditions, but invariably just as I reach decent speed I'm forced to brake again. What exactly are we achieving by making a car that is already way faster then 95% of the things that move on indian roads go even faster? I know Im stirring a hornets nest with my preivous comment, and that if i ever did get the petes box for my babe I would be hte first one to recommend it to others !
But considering that I've just started working a few months back, I'm far far away from even thinking of adding the petes box. I believe it costs some 30k if I'm not wrong? My immediate aim would be to save up for the repainting job(high priority) that I have at hand, and then after that for tire upgrade and alloys.
Old 25th January 2009, 23:38   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hi Pras,

Just read my review on my rollacoster ride on how i got my car, two things that I found that Hyundai need to work on are the AC vents and the fog lights, there is no option to adjust the fog lights for better visibility and if you have noticed, when the AC is turned on most of it its your hand while driving.

I too had a scratch on my front bumper thanks to a dumb dio rider and the repainting at advaith hyundai just for that patch costed me 1,400.
Well, abhinav i guess adding PETE's to Verna is like fitting 2 NOS cylinders on a Ferrari

Regards,
Sajan
Yes the fogs suck, and so do their stock headlamps. I switched to philips extreme vision because I didnt want anyone touching the wiring. But Im not overly satisfied with them either. So for the time being will wait for these bulbs to die out and then invest in 100/90s.
Yes the ac is a funny thing. But its not something that should be too much of an issue. If we can adjust the vent a bit based on the steering wheel height then it shouldnt become an issue. Considering that the ac is such a chiller, that it goes to the steering at times shouldnt be such an issue.
How did they do a patch up job for you? At HMP here they said they dont do patch up jobs because it is visible on the bumper and they only do complete repainting jobs. Bumper replacement costs 8k. A bit of a pain really isnt it. Its funny how there are less chances of an accident when the car is in motion, because at least there mght be some chance of us making an escape maneouvre. Its when were stationary at signals or in traffic that were at the mercy of every tom dick and harry who cant handle their stupid vehicles.
Old 25th January 2009, 23:43   #129
Senior - BHPian

True Buddy agree.

But why a repaint 1st and then tire and alloys.
I think its the rubber which should be 1st priority.
And why repainting a new car.
Give it some time before repainting.
Old 25th January 2009, 23:48   #130
BHPian

Quote:
True Buddy agree.

But why a repaint 1st and then tire and alloys.
I think its the rubber which should be 1st priority.
And why repainting a new car.
Give it some time before repainting.
Dad will be coming sometime in may from abroad (where he works). So I want the car to be back in decent shape when hes back. Hence the priority for the repainting. i will put off the bumper painting as far off as possible, probably after my second service in april because I dont trust the service center with the car. They have an intake of more then 70 cars a day, and theyre in a big rush with all the cars and do put scratches on the car, so to avoid having them scratch a newly painted bumper again I will get the paint job done after the service. And of course this will make sure that in case some other fool hits me in the mean time at least I will be getting the job done for all the nonsense that has happened to the poor car.
Considering that I"m planning to get the painting done outside the showroom, is there any procedure I should follow just to ensure that the colour matches my car colour? Perhaps have him just do a touch up on some scratched portion of the bumper for me to verify?
Also second reason for putting off tires, I'm already getting only around 800 bucks for tires that have run for over 3000km so far. And since I'm not going to be going on the highway very often theyre just about fine for zooming inside the city. In fact I drove down to bangalore from chennai the other day and I found the tires were more then adequate on the drive. There was an irritating swift vdi who kept honking at me for no reason when he could have easily gone past. I let him overtake me and go ahead, think he was doing around 120 when I was doing around 100 then. I let him gain an advantage, and being an empty stretch wanted to test the car so cranked her up all the way up to 170km/h. Went past the swift and kept going till he was out of my site. Even at 170 I felt relatively comfortable. In fact the car was perfectly fine till around 150 or so I think. After that it got a touch bumpy, the solution to which perhaps maybe wider tires. But that was the fastest I went on my trip in either direction. The max I hit after that was 140 and I dont see too many highway trips happening in the near future.
Besides, why do you need tires on a car that flies??

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 26th January 2009 at 00:06.
Old 26th January 2009, 00:14   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After that it got a touch bumpy, the solution to which perhaps maybe wider tires.
A proper upsize will make it bumpier because wider the tyre, lower the profile. You need softer compound tyres to get a more pliant ride. Or less pressure in your tyres.

Quote:
Besides, why do you need tires on a car that flies??
You're probably joking. But in case you aren't...

You need them so when some suicidal maniac comes across your speeding bullet at 170KMPH, there is something there to grip the road while you panic break and steer away (provided you have ABS. Otherwise, you just hit the brakes and wish the poor guy's soul a peaceful rest.) Oh and still come out facing the right way with all body panels and bones intact.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 26th January 2009 at 00:16.
Old 26th January 2009, 00:19   #132
Senior - BHPian

Oh and i thought you were going to change the colour of the car.
Well in that case it is.
I guess the service station do the best work however at a heavy cost.

Do spend on the tyres before anything else ( repainting left).
Its pretty important for the safety and necessary considering the soft suspension of verna.
Get a good pair even if you have to go for a bit less expensive alloys
Old 26th January 2009, 00:19   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
A proper upsize will make it bumpier because wider the tyre, lower the profile. You need softer compound tyres to get a more pliant ride. Or less pressure in your tyres.

You're probably joking. But in case you aren't...

You need them so when some suicidal maniac comes across your speeding bullet at 170KMPH, there is something there to grip the road while you panic break and steer away provided you have ABS. Otherwise, you just hit the brakes and wish the poor guy's soul a peaceful rest. Oh and still come out facing the right way with all body panels and bones intact.
Obviously I was joking. I more then ayone know the importance of brakes. I insisted on investing on ABS when plenty of people told me its not "necessary" on indian roads and stuff. And yes, suicidal maniacs, plenty of them available in this country arent there? Its almost as if most of them have lost the will to live.
I believe that softer compounds are available in michelin even with the tyre upsize? I suppose those would help with the stability. When I said bumpy, I meant in the sense a lack of stability in a general sense, and not just that the car was bouncing on its suspension. I dont know if were both referring to the same thing??
Old 26th January 2009, 00:23   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Oh and i thought you were going to change the colour of the car.
Well in that case it is.
I guess the service station do the best work however at a heavy cost.

Do spend on the tyres before anything else ( repainting left).
Its pretty important for the safety and necessary considering the soft suspension of verna.
Get a good pair even if you have to go for a bit less expensive alloys
Well even though I cant afford wheels for a few more months I did do some browsing here though. Saw a couple of top tire shops in chennai where everyone goes to. Michelins are available for 4500. Yoko for 3900 or 4000.
True about thea lloys. Preference should be for the tire upsize more then the alloys. One thing the guy told me which didnt make sense to me. He said that I need not buy a new stepny. Rather, in case i buy new alloys with the 195/60 r14 tires, in case of a major puncture or something, I can use the existing 185/65 r14 stepny tire on the alloy itself. Is this possible? Doesnt the alloy rim vary for different tire sizes?
Old 26th January 2009, 00:26   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Obviously I was joking. I more then ayone know the importance of brakes. I insisted on investing on ABS when plenty of people told me its not "necessary" on indian roads and stuff. And yes, suicidal maniacs, plenty of them available in this country arent there? Its almost as if most of them have lost the will to live.
I believe that softer compounds are available in michelin even with the tyre upsize? I suppose those would help with the stability. When I said bumpy, I meant in the sense a lack of stability in a general sense, and not just that the car was bouncing on its suspension. I dont know if were both referring to the same thing??
Ah, a sane person!

Yes, there are good comfort tyres in the Michelin range in a variety of sizes. The tyres section under the Mods forums is a great resource.

The Verna's bouncy suspension and its effects on high speed performance are pretty well known. However, I believe it can only be solved with aftermarket suspension components and not just tyres. That is an expensive proposition though.

As for your question about needing all that firepower under the hood in our country, it is getting better isn't it? Ten years ago, could we even think such a thing called the GQ will actually become reality?

To paraphrase what Vin Diesel's character says in Fast and the Furious, it is the precious few seconds of controlled lunacy in the rare open stretches that makes us petrol (and diesel) heads lust after POWWWAAAAAHHH!

Most Viewed