Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2008, 22:02   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshram View Post
Thank you for the instant reply.Wil note down all the numbers..and will call you if needed...

Vignesh
1.2 SIENA ELX.
No problem man! Do let me know if you get the job done and post some pics.
Old 6th December 2008, 10:41   #92
BHPian

First service tomorrow.. Anything in particular that people with vernas have checked? I have to have my gearbox checked (notchy second and reverse) and my wheel alignment(car keeps going to the left).
Old 8th December 2008, 16:29   #93
BHPian

I used to have the left side drag problem with my Sept.2007 Verna CRDI SX. I was running 195/60 R14 Bridgestone Potenza GIII's.

Advaith in Banglore, replaced the left side strut and later couple of other components apart from different variations of wheel alignment, where-in the drag reduced considerably but after almost 17K kilometers the inner treads of the front tires started balding, where-in again the wheel alginment was done. By then the handling and look was no where up to the mark and since couple of other tires had punctures and one of the tires developed a side wall crack hitting the kerb while parking, changed al the 5 tires to Yokohama AVS - ES100 195/60 R14, filled with Nitrogen.

It's 23k+ kilometers and clinical wheel alignment every 5k kilometers, the drag has lessened. But a complete solution to my satisfaction has not been there. But with the newer cars, I thought this should have been addressed. Unless offcourse the wheel aligment and the tire pressure has not been set properly.

As for the headlight upgrade - I was using Philips Vision Plus 60/55W bulbs for a few months, which were slightly better than the stock bulbs. After looking at a few other bulbs like Philips Diamond, Narva White, Osram Silverstars and even a Taiwanese HID kit, I settled for a Philips 100/90W bulbs with Roots wiring kit and a Roots Relay, installed at the showroom not the service center. This is the same setup I have had on my previous cars and the illumination is much better. The cost of 2 bulbs, the wiring kit, relay and labour came to Rs.1100/-.

Cheers cheers:
Old 8th December 2008, 21:50   #94
BHPian

Hi Sats how is the performance of philips 100/90w. I have enquired it for my santro, getting it for Rs 1000/- with relay kit and labour charges. Also Enquired about Fog lamps for santro he said Rs 600/- for a pair ( brand unknown ) 55w bulbs in it with fitting and labour charges. If getting both things done together then for Rs 1500 /-
Old 8th December 2008, 21:50   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sats View Post
I used to have the left side drag problem with my Sept.2007 Verna CRDI SX. I was running 195/60 R14 Bridgestone Potenza GIII's.

Advaith in Banglore, replaced the left side strut and later couple of other components apart from different variations of wheel alignment, where-in the drag reduced considerably but after almost 17K kilometers the inner treads of the front tires started balding, where-in again the wheel alginment was done. By then the handling and look was no where up to the mark and since couple of other tires had punctures and one of the tires developed a side wall crack hitting the kerb while parking, changed al the 5 tires to Yokohama AVS - ES100 195/60 R14, filled with Nitrogen.

It's 23k+ kilometers and clinical wheel alignment every 5k kilometers, the drag has lessened. But a complete solution to my satisfaction has not been there. But with the newer cars, I thought this should have been addressed. Unless offcourse the wheel aligment and the tire pressure has not been set properly.

As for the headlight upgrade - I was using Philips Vision Plus 60/55W bulbs for a few months, which were slightly better than the stock bulbs. After looking at a few other bulbs like Philips Diamond, Narva White, Osram Silverstars and even a Taiwanese HID kit, I settled for a Philips 100/90W bulbs with Roots wiring kit and a Roots Relay, installed at the showroom not the service center. This is the same setup I have had on my previous cars and the illumination is much better. The cost of 2 bulbs, the wiring kit, relay and labour came to Rs.1100/-.

Cheers cheers:
The alignment issue seems to have been rectified. I'm not happy bout the gearbox though. It seemed fine on the drive home. Today again it doesnt seem so satisfying. Think i'l just have to give it time to settle out by itself, unless theres some other issue with it.
Headlight upgrade I think i'll put off for now. Will do it before I take the car out for a long highway journey.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:15   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Hi Sats how is the performance of philips 100/90w. I have enquired it for my santro, getting it for Rs 1000/- with relay kit and labour charges. Also Enquired about Fog lamps for santro he said Rs 600/- for a pair ( brand unknown ) 55w bulbs in it with fitting and labour charges. If getting both things done together then for Rs 1500 /-
Hi Driving,

The illumination and spread is much better compared both the stock bulbs and the Philips Vision Plus bulbs.

Do not forget the wiring when you go in for the higher wattage bulbs and the relay. The wiring kit and relay from Roots, PMP or Bosch are good.

Which variant of the Santro do you have, depending on the type of fog lamps, the recess in the bumper may or may not accomodate the fog lamps. Try the OE Fogs from Hyundai, the downside is the cost and not to great illumination.

The best bet is to get a Hella Rallye square fog lamps, fabricate a bracket and get is mounted for better on road illumination.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:20   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
The alignment issue seems to have been rectified. I'm not happy bout the gearbox though. It seemed fine on the drive home. Today again it doesnt seem so satisfying. Think i'l just have to give it time to settle out by itself, unless theres some other issue with it.
Headlight upgrade I think i'll put off for now. Will do it before I take the car out for a long highway journey.

Hi Pras,

If you are not happy with the service center, try switching to another authorised service center for a second opinion.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:30   #98
BHPian

Interiors and headlight upgrade

Pras

Firstly congrats on your Verna interiors. They look fabulous, almost like factory fitted seats and steering wheel !! Excellent job. We have a Cielo and Santro XO Ltd Edition at home for which I'd like to get something nice done. Mainly for Cielo. The PU flooring thing was a lovely idea and looks great too. Do these guys do it for older cars as well, like Cielo ?

For your headlights, I recently bought 2 sets of Philips X-Treme Power bulbs (H4, 60/55w) for 850/- per set from Rahman Auto Accessories on GP Rd next to Jayaprada theatre. I got one set for my Bajaj Avenger 200 (installed one and keeping one bulb as spare) and one set for the Santro (not installed yet). The bulbs are superb. No extra wiring / relays etc needed. Just remove existing H4 bulb and replace. Fantastic beam spread and focus. High beam is superb. If it's so good on my Avenger 200, imagine what 2 bulbs in a car like Santro/Verna would be like !!

I suggest you go ahead with the Philips X-Treme Power H4 bulbs for your Verna too. No headache - only bulb replacement. Any normal car electrician or battery shop which does electrical check up can replace the bulbs for you.

Shall talk to you soon regarding the seats, steering wheel and PU flooring.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 12th December 2008, 15:29   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Pras

Firstly congrats on your Verna interiors. They look fabulous, almost like factory fitted seats and steering wheel !! Excellent job. We have a Cielo and Santro XO Ltd Edition at home for which I'd like to get something nice done. Mainly for Cielo. The PU flooring thing was a lovely idea and looks great too. Do these guys do it for older cars as well, like Cielo ?

For your headlights, I recently bought 2 sets of Philips X-Treme Power bulbs (H4, 60/55w) for 850/- per set from Rahman Auto Accessories on GP Rd next to Jayaprada theatre. I got one set for my Bajaj Avenger 200 (installed one and keeping one bulb as spare) and one set for the Santro (not installed yet). The bulbs are superb. No extra wiring / relays etc needed. Just remove existing H4 bulb and replace. Fantastic beam spread and focus. High beam is superb. If it's so good on my Avenger 200, imagine what 2 bulbs in a car like Santro/Verna would be like !!

I suggest you go ahead with the Philips X-Treme Power H4 bulbs for your Verna too. No headache - only bulb replacement. Any normal car electrician or battery shop which does electrical check up can replace the bulbs for you.

Shall talk to you soon regarding the seats, steering wheel and PU flooring.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Venkat thanks for all the compliments Yeah hes done a real nice job. He will do interiors for the santro for sure. Cielo I'm not too sure. If you want his contact details i can send them across to you. In fact I think i mentioned his number and my number somewhere in this thread. He may have to preorder the seats if you are willing to pay him a token advance and you'll probably have to wait for sometime provided he can arrange cielo seats. Try your luck!
Yes people have suggested the extreme power ones to me. I'm tempted to go witht hem cause i dont risk touching my electrical system. Are they effective for night driving on highways as well? Can you rate them on 10 for the ease of driving and quality of vision it provides at night on highways and normal roads. Thanks!
Old 12th December 2008, 15:58   #100
BHPian

a simple question which will be better philips extreme vision or 130/100 rallye stuff??
my verna will be out of workshop by jan 15. had a major crash . i am alive
Old 12th December 2008, 16:07   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
a simple question which will be better philips extreme vision or 130/100 rallye stuff??
my verna will be out of workshop by jan 15. had a major crash . i am alive
I'm not sure if you can compare the philips extreme to the rally lights man. I think a better comparison is between the 65w extreme and the vision plus 100/90w ones. I think the extreme is not as good as the vision plus due to the lower wattage, but is a major improvement on the stock ones available.
for the crash. Glad your alive too can you elaborate on the crash and the reasons for it? Your fault, car's fault, someone else's fault??? Do drive safe when you get your car back.
Old 12th December 2008, 17:10   #102
BHPian

what a careless biker can do to a verna!!

biker from wrong side!! a sudden right to avoid him and as i finish calling him an idiot a lorry is coming opp to me head on!!! sudden left and that was it..a severe salom 2nd 360 degree spin! ended on a concrete pillar fenced ground...front side is a wreck and yes side b pillar took a hit from the concrete pillar and stopped the vehicle from toppling onto the ground about 3-4 feet below road level!

Seat belts saved me. even then my head banged the driver side window glass! and the seat belts locked me real bad. one week bed rest. initially i revolted and came off the hospital without getting admitted no broken bones you see
but later i learnt it hard way. chest shock was kinda hard. and head started swelling. now its two weeks since the accident. i am cool now

the localites tried to get the biker he flew thew scene. the lorry guy was kind enough to avoid hitting me and kill me! the localites pulled the car out from the fence.

the whole thing is light for me now that i am alive and well to talk about it. the doors got jammed. driver side front and rear doors got busted and jammed. by the concrete pillar. friends arrived on the scene and pulled me out from opp. side. the whole world went round twice it was like NFS crash the actual thing . my speed was low 50-60 kmph third gear i was just accelerating! happened on the cbe- sathyamangalam- mysore highway while coming back from office. evening time.

pic taken from my N-82 for purpose of insurance after the freak crash.
Attached Thumbnails
My Hyundai Verna Crdi SX with ABS-dsc91611.jpg  

Old 12th December 2008, 17:34   #103
BHPian

Pras:

(1) I would highly recommend the Philips X-Treme Power. You don't have to even touch your wiring. Just a simple bulb replacement. That's it. Yes; the bulbs are great on highways for night driving. It's great on my bike so I am 100% sure it would be fantastic in a car, since it would be DC and you'd have 2 bulbs working together. Go for it.

(2) Philips X-Treme Power, Vision Plus etc are all the same wattage - 60/55w and come in H4 or H7. Vision Plus is an older model rated at +50% more light while X-Treme Power is the newer one rated at +80% more light. So go in for the X-Treme Power. As of now, that's the best.

Sameel:

(1) Shocked after looking at the photo posted by you. And I am really glad you're alive after this. My goodness. It looks really bad. What's the status of the repairs to your car now ?

(2) Philips Rally 130/100 and X-Treme Power are no comparison. Philips XP is 60/55 while the Rally is 130/100. The Rally is raw brightness. It is a big jump in wattage for most cars and would definitely require a cut-out, better wiring and as mentioned quite often, ceramic holders. Otherwise it looks like the standard holders would melt due to the extra heat generated by the Rally 100/90 or 130/100. So take care. Philips X-Treme Power doesn't require any of these. Simply swap the standard H4 or H7 with the Philips XPs. Simple.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 12th December 2008, 18:23   #104
BHPian

hey i have no issues with putting holders and stuff i will buy all bosch stuff .
i want real brightness and yes i need to survive when they lorry fellows blinds me.

so with this scenario whats the best option. and yes both my headllights and fog lamps will be new thanks to this crash. lolz. so is this extreme vision ok for night time. and yes can they be put on the fog lamps too. i do dont want to blacken out the new headlights and fog lights i will be getting once the car is out of workshop!

the car is in workshop repair has started. will be getting her back by mid jan i guess.. the estimate is not yet known only when the car work is finished and road test begins , the final estimate will be known. dad is strict that she gets restored properly. i have came to know that there is no chassis damage. phew! the shell do is strong . i am telling from experience. hehe.

my folks dont care about the estimate and repair stuff they are glad i am in one piece after seeing the car in person

i do am really lucky you know. lolz,
now a days i am safe i dont drive now. strict order from the doctor NO DRIVING for a month at least.

thanks for the kind words dude. yes i do am more carefull now. i am not interested in pushing my luck after this one.

sameel
Old 12th December 2008, 19:32   #105
BHPian

@venkat
Yes I was mentioning the same to sameel as well about the comparison of the headlamps. Thanks for the info. I've been apprehensive about going for the higher wattage cause of the warranty issue and also cause I hate it when i get blinded on the road and I've cursed people who have excessive wattage levels on their cars and blind everyone by using their high beams on normal roads. So I will go for the extreme vision soon.

@sameel
Dude its great that you survived this one. Again you must highlight the lack of safety in a 9lakh car. It is a gamble considering the raw power the verna offers. But then I dont know if you can blame the korean chaps at hyundai who designed the car. Little do they know about how irresponsible and dangerously stupid the people on Indian roads are. I currently only travel 20km either way to work everyday (for a couple more months newayz before the office goes further ) but even then I put my safety first, then other peoples safety on the road and then the safety of my car third. I have a phobia of buses specially the ones that have stopped at the bus stop. They never go straight and immediately take to the right just when your about to overtake them. So I come to a complete stand still unless its a big road and I dont care what the people behind me think cause i refuse to get myself squished between the divider on the right and the crazy bus guy on the left! Likewise for the idiots on bikes. They think they own the roads and after all their nonsense if you honk at them they'll start cursing you.
specially with the kind of addictive power the verna offers its all the more important to be extra responsible and careful so that even the possibility of a freak accident like the one you had can be minimized. Wishing you a speedy recovery and do follow the doctors advice. Take rest and avoid driving. Its more a mental thing now then just a physical blow to your body. Do post the costs incurred by you for all the damage repairs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks