Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 00:50   #226
BANNED

Pras,

Am looking at teambhp after a long long gap. Just to give you some more comfort on mileage, I have seen that the Verna's mileage varies a lot with the character you make it assume.

I occasionally experiment between full tank fills, and have seen the difference. One week I drive like the most forgiving driver in Bangalore and never rev above 2000 rpm, and certain other weeks, I touch 4000 rpm at least once a day, and not to mention, smoke every other car on the road.

In the 'forgiving driver' weeks, I get 15-16 kmpl inside Bangalore city. Yes!

In the other weeks, my mileage once touched 12 kmpl.

All results are with AC on most of the time.

Also, now at 11 months and 19000 kms, perhaps my mileage also went up with the odo reading, as the engine got smoother and smoother with time. Made many many long drives, mostly to Kerala among other places.

All the best. Experiment! :-)

Last edited by sdmn : 30th June 2009 at 00:52.
Old 30th June 2009, 08:24   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
Pras,

Am looking at teambhp after a long long gap. Just to give you some more comfort on mileage, I have seen that the Verna's mileage varies a lot with the character you make it assume.

I occasionally experiment between full tank fills, and have seen the difference. One week I drive like the most forgiving driver in Bangalore and never rev above 2000 rpm, and certain other weeks, I touch 4000 rpm at least once a day, and not to mention, smoke every other car on the road.

In the 'forgiving driver' weeks, I get 15-16 kmpl inside Bangalore city. Yes!

In the other weeks, my mileage once touched 12 kmpl.

All results are with AC on most of the time.

Also, now at 11 months and 19000 kms, perhaps my mileage also went up with the odo reading, as the engine got smoother and smoother with time. Made many many long drives, mostly to Kerala among other places.

All the best. Experiment! :-)
I can relate to the smokin' other cars - theres no thrill like it! Wow, 19000km in 11 months. You really have taken your car places havent you.
After driving Shyam's getz(which was my first time in a getz), I find that the verna turbo lag is heavily noticeable with AC on all the time. Its also difficult to keep the car going in 3rd gear at lower rpms. Without the ac the effects of turbo lag are negligible, and I am able to slow down to a lower speed and then speed up again without having to shift back into second.
Old 30th June 2009, 10:57   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
I can relate to the smokin' other cars - theres no thrill like it! Wow, 19000km in 11 months. You really have taken your car places havent you.
After driving Shyam's getz(which was my first time in a getz), I find that the verna turbo lag is heavily noticeable with AC on all the time. Its also difficult to keep the car going in 3rd gear at lower rpms. Without the ac the effects of turbo lag are negligible, and I am able to slow down to a lower speed and then speed up again without having to shift back into second.

Try driving the fiesta to get to know what real turbo lag is , or maybe any of the TATA cars....

More over i think its the power surge after 1800 rpm that is noticeable than the lag , thereby making the lag even more evident.
Old 30th June 2009, 15:28   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Try driving the fiesta to get to know what real turbo lag is , or maybe any of the TATA cars....

More over i think its the power surge after 1800 rpm that is noticeable than the lag , thereby making the lag even more evident.
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! very very well said. Power surge is the right word and that is the wow about the vgts.

Cheers/Shyam
Old 30th June 2009, 16:48   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post

Why do you think I didnt go for the fiesta
Old 30th June 2009, 18:41   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 for the smokin'! I had a hard time not to rev beyond 2.5 - 3K!!

I gotta agree about the lag- it is not that visible in the Getz, compared to say, a Swift- in fact I thought there is no rush, until I see the needle already beyond 100 . Let me try the Verna sometime, I was assuming it wouldn't behave all that different...
Old 30th June 2009, 22:32   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
+1 for the smokin'! I had a hard time not to rev beyond 2.5 - 3K!!

I gotta agree about the lag- it is not that visible in the Getz, compared to say, a Swift- in fact I thought there is no rush, until I see the needle already beyond 100 . Let me try the Verna sometime, I was assuming it wouldn't behave all that different...
Ah your wrong man.. Getz way more refined, paticularly lower rpm behaviour. I'm so used to braking and half clutching and down shifting with my verna now at lower rpms, when I drove Shyam's getz I kept doing the same thing.
Yeah you can try my car out over one of our chennai meets.. I hope your a safe driver.. The only person till now I've trusted my car with is Shyam. I even freaked out when my dad was driving it, and he paid for the car!

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 30th June 2009 at 22:33.
Old 30th June 2009, 23:17   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah your wrong man.. Getz way more refined, paticularly lower rpm behaviour. I'm so used to braking and half clutching and down shifting with my verna now at lower rpms, when I drove Shyam's getz I kept doing the same thing.
Yeah you can try my car out over one of our chennai meets.. I hope your a safe driver.. The only person till now I've trusted my car with is Shyam. I even freaked out when my dad was driving it, and he paid for the car!
Lol.. I never rip cars- mine or others, even test drive moles... high speeds- i do, ripping- i dont! btw, same goes with my car- none has till now- keep pushing it saying "1st service, new car, yada yada"!
Old 11th September 2009, 15:03   #234
BHPian

Crossed the 10k km mark on my baby a week back. She has served me faithfully over the last year am considering giving her a tire upgrade.
Was contacted by a couple of tbhp members who saw my ad. Still waiting for further news about that. Have considered yoko s drives and michelin xm1. But still confused about whether the xm1 is worth the 1000 bucks over the s drives. S drives have been known to be noisy, and I'm not sure if I would be happy with that.
Also confused between 195/60/R14 and 195/65/R14. Am scared that the 60 profile will spoil the ride and reduce ground clearance by a few mm, and that the 65 might not be as good a handler as the 60. Been digging through the tire forum here for the last few days but havent found anything that answers my question properly. Any suggestions from anyone?
Had a bad experience today morning on the way to work. A line of cars hit the brake suddenly and so did I. Was rear ended by a fiesta guy. Had my foot on the brake so didnt go and hit the car in front with the force with which he hit me. Thought the bumper would be gone completely, but surprisingly only a few marks that should go with rubbing compound and some paint chipping.
But this guy - man this guy was nuts. He was advising me on how all this happens in chennai and i shouldnt bother about it. He flatly refused to pay me for the damage and was accusing me for sudden braking . He even told me to go and ask the guy who was in front of me why he braked. On top of that he had the support of a cop who kept telling me to go away and not argue with this guy. I belted them both properly and told them they are the reason the country is going to the dogs. It wasnt until I forced the cop to take steps to register a case, that this guy who banged into my car got scared and stopped acting smart with me. He then started negotiating, and gave me his card and blah blah. Dont think I will bother pursuing him though. Whats the point??
What is with people in our country? I'm sooooo tired of all this nonsense.
Old 12th September 2009, 11:44   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Crossed the 10k km mark on my baby a week back. She has served me faithfully over the last year am considering giving her a tire upgrade.
Congrats Pras. Although only 10K . C'mon man, you're not driving your baby enough. My car is about to cross 1 year in a fortnight, and I'm touching 13K.

Quote:
Also confused between 195/60/R14 and 195/65/R14. Am scared that the 60 profile will spoil the ride and reduce ground clearance by a few mm, and that the 65 might not be as good a handler as the 60. Been digging through the tire forum here for the last few days but havent found anything that answers my question properly. Any suggestions from anyone?
The correct upgrade for 185/65 is 195/60. Upgrading to 195/65 will lead to speedo error. (There was a tyre upsize chart put up by someone long back. Try searching for it).

And dont worry about the ride quality. 195/60 tubeless will have enough cushioning. And its a Verna, so pliant suspension anyway.

Quote:
Had a bad experience today morning on the way to work. A line of cars hit the brake suddenly and so did I. Was rear ended by a fiesta guy. Had my foot on the brake so didnt go and hit the car in front with the force with which he hit me. Thought the bumper would be gone completely, but surprisingly only a few marks that should go with rubbing compound and some paint chipping.
But this guy - man this guy was nuts. He was advising me on how all this happens in chennai and i shouldnt bother about it. He flatly refused to pay me for the damage and was accusing me for sudden braking . He even told me to go and ask the guy who was in front of me why he braked. On top of that he had the support of a cop who kept telling me to go away and not argue with this guy. I belted them both properly and told them they are the reason the country is going to the dogs. It wasnt until I forced the cop to take steps to register a case, that this guy who banged into my car got scared and stopped acting smart with me. He then started negotiating, and gave me his card and blah blah. Dont think I will bother pursuing him though. Whats the point??
Man, you seem to be plagued by a series of freak accidents. First the body scratch, now this. Sorry to hear that dude. Get your beauty in order soon.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:27   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Congrats Pras. Although only 10K . C'mon man, you're not driving your baby enough. My car is about to cross 1 year in a fortnight, and I'm touching 13K.

The correct upgrade for 185/65 is 195/60. Upgrading to 195/65 will lead to speedo error. (There was a tyre upsize chart put up by someone long back. Try searching for it).

And dont worry about the ride quality. 195/60 tubeless will have enough cushioning. And its a Verna, so pliant suspension anyway.

Man, you seem to be plagued by a series of freak accidents. First the body scratch, now this. Sorry to hear that dude. Get your beauty in order soon.
@predator - I am leaving for the tire store in about 5 minutes. Finalized XM1+ 195/60/r14.
I am tired of the freak accidents and the freakier people who get out of the car that bang me. Dont think I will bother getting it fixed. The plague is present throughout our country.
Old 13th September 2009, 12:47   #237
BHPian

So after almost a year of waiting, and about 10000km of driving bliss, I finally got enough money to get Jessica (yes thats her name) some new tires.
I wasnt really planning to get them yesterday, just happened to go to tyre store along with phoenix to talk to Deepak (who runs the store) and get some inputs from him on what I can go for. I was mainly worried about the exchange amount I would get for the old tires but with the kind of offer that he made me for the old tires, I decided to go in for the change immediately.
He strongly recommended against 195 for the verna because of excessive inner tyre wear. He advised me to go for the XM1+ in 185 itself, but I was not entirely sure. Made a quick call to Shyam and told him everything that I had been told, and he got in touch with Rahul and Ishan (thanks for the input guys. I might have ended up going for the 185s if not for your verdict).
So after getting assurance from shyam that he would pay me in case something went wrong with the tires (yes,) I took his word for it and confirmed 195/60/R14 in Michelin XM1+. The set of 4 tires (will get the spare sometime over the next couple of months) arrived later in the evening and the guys at tyrestore got it fit with no issues what so ever. The balancing and alignment work was done perfectly and a quick test drive pointed out what I was missing all these days.
The car is far quieter, the steering wheel finally feels like it actually exists, the car doesnt seem to float 2cm above the ground when going fast and overall I am a far happier person. Most importantly, I find that the ride quality is better than it was before, as opposed to expectation that the ride would become bouncier. This will be confirmed as I drive more over the next few days. Hoping that I dont run into any kind of problems in the long run with the new tires.
Just a quick mention of how nice Deepak is, and as phoenix had stated on his thread, Deepak's dad really is the nicest gentlemen you can hope to come across. His knowledge is fantastic, and he gives these amazing practical explanations for all the questions you ask him. Really is a great guy.
Now thinking about putting in an air filter to help improve the driveability of the car. After seeing the noise the K&N makes in phoenix's getz, I'm wondering if green cotton is the way to go, though I wish there was some way to have it tested once before actually going in for it.
I am taking her in for service next week, and phoenix put the thought into my mind about how I should be careful about them washing the car to avoid water getting into the 100/90w headlight setup. I hope they dont create problems related to warranty at HMP.
@Shyam - attaching the snaps of the tires as you had asked. Also putting up the snaps of the poor bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
My Hyundai Verna Crdi SX with ABS-dscn0376.jpg  

My Hyundai Verna Crdi SX with ABS-dscn0377.jpg  

My Hyundai Verna Crdi SX with ABS-dscn0365.jpg  

My Hyundai Verna Crdi SX with ABS-dscn0367.jpg  

My Hyundai Verna Crdi SX with ABS-dscn0360.jpg  

My Hyundai Verna Crdi SX with ABS-dscn0363.jpg  

My Hyundai Verna Crdi SX with ABS-dscn0364.jpg  

Old 13th September 2009, 15:02   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The set of 4 tires (will get the spare sometime over the next couple of months) arrived later in the evening and the guys at tyrestore got it fit with no issues what so ever. The balancing and alignment work was done perfectly and a quick test drive pointed out what I was missing all these days.
The day i had the alloys fitted , i had got my wheels balanced and aligned also , but on my way back i noticed vibrations typical to an unbalanced wheel . so i called up deepak and he told me to drop by. which i did yesterday . In the meanwhile mclaren1885 and raj.barcode had a test drive and they also confirmed the same. Took the car back and everything was done and now the vibartions are gone , they took out all teh air and refilled the nitrogen, but they did charge me for balancing. which they should have done free , coz they only installed the tyre on those rims.

Quote:
Just a quick mention of how nice Deepak is, and as phoenix had stated on his thread, Deepak's dad really is the nicest gentlemen you can hope to come across. His knowledge is fantastic, and he gives these amazing practical explanations for all the questions you ask him

Agreed that , both of them are very customer focussed and talk a lot of sense

Quote:
Now thinking about putting in an air filter to help improve the driveability of the car. After seeing the noise the K&N makes in phoenix's getz, I'm wondering if green cotton is the way to go, though I wish there was some way to have it tested once before actually going in for it.
yeah i did see his test set-up pretty convincing one i must say, but the down side of this is that with all the air comes in all the dust also . There is a thread somewhere on TBHP on this check it out.Think about it make an informed decision.
Quote:
I hope they dont create problems related to warranty at HMP.
as long as you have the relay installed , they should not be making a hue and cry , and dont volunteer information unless asked.

Quote:
snaps of the poor bumper
Ouch, surely needs a repaint and that's a bad one !

Last edited by hellstar : 13th September 2009 at 15:03.
Old 13th September 2009, 15:15   #239
Senior - BHPian

oops sorry i forgot about about this
Quote:
The set of 4 tires (will get the spare sometime over the next couple of months) arrived later in the evening and the guys at tyrestore got it fit with no issues what so ever. The balancing and alignment work was done perfectly and a quick test drive pointed out what I was missing all these days.
What width are the stock rims , i believe they should be either 5 or 5.5j. %J width is a mismatch and 5.5J is a borderline fit the 195 tyre , so be aware that there are side effects to this on aggressive cornering at high speeds. Do read up on tyre bible here
Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 2 of 2
Old 13th September 2009, 16:50   #240
BHPian

Anoop,
Thanks for all the info. That page has a hell lot of stuff, so will take my time and go through it.
I called up Shyam after speaking to you about the width of the rim. He thinks that it is a 5J one, but Deepak said otherwise yesterday. The thing is, if its a 5J, would the tires still fit onto the rim? What I have noticed on shyam's stock rims with the bigger tires, is that they do make a hell lot of noise, but doesnt seem like he has had issues so far. I will check this up with my service adviser next week when I go in for service.
Yes, that little demo was a lot of fun. But as you said the flip side of more air would probably mean more dust and I suppose this would affect the engine life directly. Do you think that asking the guys at the service center would result in a satisfactory answer for this?
I will have to tell them about the light upgrade right? Else like phoenix said if they spray water all over it it will be a big problem right? EDIT: By the way, what size are your alloys? You said he gave them to you for 12k? Which brand are they?

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 13th September 2009 at 16:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks