Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 13:43   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
I have the same kind of Steering cover (albeit in black Stanley Progrip original leather). The verna steering has height-adjustment, so in case it hits the leg you can always raise the thing a little.

The Getz website says that all variants come standard with height-adjustment. Find out if your car has the same. You wont have the problem anymore.
Yes. I like the tighter fit this time that he's done for me. It looks better with the interiors now. @ predator You were mentioning the car care thing the other day right? The servie manager at HMP did mention that the car care thing is done at their service station too. They have an 80 point checklist that they verify. I dont think it will be too comprehensive a service cause there will 100s of cars lined up. They also offer a 10% discount on certain parts and consumables. Personally I'm glad I got all my work done that day itself before the crazy rush started for subsidized service! Also what is the status of your car? You had issues that day as well with the rattling didnt you?

@shyam - For your size a gurkha would have been better rather then your getz!

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 17th March 2009 at 13:45.
Old 17th March 2009, 14:39   #197
Senior - BHPian

Heights and service

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
@ predator You were mentioning the car care thing the other day right? The servie manager at HMP did mention that the car care thing is done at their service station too. They have an 80 point checklist that they verify. I dont think it will be too comprehensive a service cause there will 100s of cars lined up. They also offer a 10% discount on certain parts and consumables. Personally I'm glad I got all my work done that day itself before the crazy rush started for subsidized service! Also what is the status of your car? You had issues that day as well with the rattling didnt you?

@shyam - For your size a gurkha would have been better rather then your getz!
@Pras - I am yet to take my car for a service (second service is due at 6 months within delivery, i.e. 27th March 09 OR 10k kms). Mine has only done 6K so far. Dont worry, will see that the car is properly serviced. If I find too much of a queue, I'd rather wait till 27th (the camp gets over by then).

@Shyam - Consider an upgrade to a Verna. I'm 6'2". Check out my profile pic (the car's height doesnt just appear shrunken all of a sudden) But I find the Verna very comfortable to sit in or drive.
Old 17th March 2009, 14:42   #198
BHPian

Quote:
@Pras - I am yet to take my car for a service (second service is due at 6 months within delivery, i.e. 27th March 09 OR 10k kms). Mine has only done 6K so far. Dont worry, will see that the car is properly serviced. If I find too much of a queue, I'd rather wait till 27th (the camp gets over by then).

@Shyam - Consider an upgrade to a Verna. I'm 6'2". Check out my profile pic (the car's height doesnt just appear shrunken all of a sudden) But I find the Verna very comfortable to sit in or drive.
My car has just run over 4k now, and I am still a month away from the actual 2nd service date. But I got it done in advance because I didnt want to make yet another trip to HMP next month. Figured since I was spending the day there for the rattling issues I would get this done as well. I am expecting the new stereo system tomorrow, so those guys should be coming home for fitting that. But a word of advice is that hyundai guys like to take care of their customers. Unfortunately they lack time cause there are too many of us! So if you actually have issues with the car, go on a day thats convenient for you so that you can verify whats happening and remain in touch with the service manager or a senior advisor.
One more thing - I've noticed that my engine vibration seemed a touch higher after 1st service. After 2nd service I have had an engine oil change as well, and he verified the RPM and told me that the idling is fine and that engine parameters are normal. Yet I feel that the vibration is a touch on the high side. Have you experienced something similar to this? I use BP diesel (normal diesel) from a reliable outlet that I have been filling at right since I bought the car. I avoid high end diesel to avoid clogging the fuel injector (there have been lots of black smoke complaints from ppl).
Also, Shyam went for the getz instead of the verna cause he prefers hatchbacks. Guess its the legacy of owning a zen before this

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 17th March 2009 at 14:45.
Old 18th March 2009, 10:52   #199
BHPian

Quote:

I did want a verna but then settled for something smaller with the same monster of an engine . I have no regrets though.

@pras - I feel the Verna is big for you. Shall we go in for an exchange? :P

Oh and i wanted a hatch only because i drive at Bangalore's worse traffic hit areas.

Cheers

Last edited by ShyamSCrdi : 18th March 2009 at 10:59.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:15   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
@pras - I feel the Verna is big for you. Shall we go in for an exchange? :P
Cheers
Never!!! Very high hopes you have!
Old 18th March 2009, 12:16   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Never!!! Very high hopes you have!
Yeah I knew this was coming. Anyway read my review in my ownership thread. i am more than happy on my Getzi
Old 18th March 2009, 15:36   #202
BANNED

Quote:
One more thing - I've noticed that my engine vibration seemed a touch higher after 1st service. After 2nd service I have had an engine oil change as well, and he verified the RPM and told me that the idling is fine and that engine parameters are normal. Yet I feel that the vibration is a touch on the high side. Have you experienced something similar to this?
Hi Pras,
My Verna has done 14500 kms (the car is a little less than 8 months old now), and I am very particular about a silent cabin. I must say that the Verna CRDI is incredibly silent for a diesel. The only little sounds I hear are from the front left door plastic (I need to get the screws tightened) and the front left seatbelt recepticle (red color) when the seatbelt is not used. Having said that, I must say that these sounds are very very occasional and most people won't notice it. From under the dash, I have so far never heard any noise. Trust this info helps.

Can you describe what you mean by engine vibration? Does the entire car vibrate or you only hear the vibration from the engine compartment and not feel it?
Old 18th March 2009, 15:53   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
Hi Pras,
My Verna has done 14500 kms (the car is a little less than 8 months old now), and I am very particular about a silent cabin. I must say that the Verna CRDI is incredibly silent for a diesel. The only little sounds I hear are from the front left door plastic (I need to get the screws tightened) and the front left seatbelt recepticle (red color) when the seatbelt is not used. Having said that, I must say that these sounds are very very occasional and most people won't notice it. From under the dash, I have so far never heard any noise. Trust this info helps.

Can you describe what you mean by engine vibration? Does the entire car vibrate or you only hear the vibration from the engine compartment and not feel it?
I feel like the general noise level from the engine has gone up. Specially when its idling, i feel the car is vibrating a little more then it used to. Also I find that when I'm cruising in a higher gear at a slightly lower speed then the optimum speed for that gear I find the car is noisier then it used to be. Its almost as if the tolerance level of the car has gone down. I am expecting my new sound system and ac vent replacement tomorrow. As of now the dashboard has gone all quiet. Ive become so used to the noise from it that I almost search for it now days!
Old 19th March 2009, 11:54   #204
BHPian

Hey pras this is a psychological feeling . Relax dude you have a great car there. Think the car is great and dont look back. Try not listening to the car so much.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:36   #205
Senior - BHPian

pras,seems you are getting used to your cars noise more then the car.
Old 19th March 2009, 13:14   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
pras,seems you are getting used to your cars noise more then the car.
Yeah its actually a fact now! Today morning the service advisor came promptly with the new stereo system and the pending ac vent and duly replaced both. Finally my car is quiet now! But it ll take me a few days to get used to the silence, I've really been looking for the noise constantly!
Old 19th March 2009, 14:24   #207
BANNED

Congrats on that man, hope your cabin remains silent for years to come.
Old 19th March 2009, 14:38   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I sincerely hope that I dont have to see HMP again for the next 6 months till my 3rd service is due!
Old 19th March 2009, 15:28   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah i hope so too. Pras dont keep trying to find faults dude.
Old 17th April 2009, 16:06   #210
BHPian

An update at 5000 km

Hey everyone. I have crossed my first 6 months of ownership of my verna crdi and 5000 km. I know the odo reading is rather less but I'm expecting to have heavier usage over the next few months.
So my experience so far - I will split it into the "good", the "bad", the "ugly" and the "can live with it"!

The Good -
Well the engine! Man what a monster. It pulls and it pulls and it pulls. Whether theres one person, or 5 people, ac on or no ac on, this car just keeps rocketing. Theres never a dull moment while driving her, and a testament to the fact that I have driven every single km that the car has travelled so far.
Ive had a trip to bangalore from chennai and a trip from chennai to pondicherry. The first time I was travelling alone and the second time with 4 others. The car is fantastic on the highways. I'm not one who would take the risk of taking curves at speeds exceeding 100 km/hr or 120km/hr as a lot of other people do, simply because the car does not exhibit body roll. Safety comes first, and I never push the car beyond the safety limit. Never the less, at no point did I feel that the car was difficult to handle or lacked power in any way.
An added benefit on the highways is the anti lock braking system. Hyundai must be credited for designing excellent brakes that work so effectively. It gives me great peace of mind, and I am glad that I am constantly justified in my choice of taking the ABS option. Their real worth was realized in one such incident, where I was overtaking a trailer on the highway at around 120km/hr, and he suddenly swerved right. I hit the brakes hard, and I could sense that at some point a normal set of brakes would have had my car skidding, but I was able to maintain full control, and reduce my speed from 120, to a cool 40km/hr and prevent being run over by the crazy truck driver. Anyone buying a verna, take the ABS!!
The gearbox is silky smooth. It was rather notchy till first service, but post clutch bleeding I have no issues with it. It especially helps with the constant gear shifts in city traffic.
To name a few other good points - spacy interiors, comfortable driving position, a good view outside the car in all directions, excellent air conditioning system, lot of useful compartments in the car, and good looking interiors.
Fuel efficiency is fantastic. I get 15km to the litre in the city itself. I have shifted to shell from normal BP fuel over my last couple of fills. Its amazing that diesel in chennai at shell is just 3paise costlier then fuel at other bunks, but for much greater value.

The bad -
The suspension. To be quite honest I feel at times that the suspension is substandard. The funny part is that it works like a charm when driving over a poor road at a higher speed, but immediately goes bad when taking a road at a slightly lower speed. It can also be a bit of a pain on certain highway stretches at times with the car fully loaded.
The steering wheel is a touch on the softer side. While it is useful in city conditions, many are of the view that it lacks safety at higher speeds in the highways.
Headlamps require a definite upgrade. They are poor to say the least, but I guess thats an issue on most cars. From what I have seen, almost everyone upgrades to 100/90w bulbs or to rally lights. I am using the philips power xtreme for now, and will upgrade to a higher power soon.
Suffered a few blows to the car so far on both bumpers. Bike scratched my front bumper on the left. Hit a stray divider stone on the right side of the bumper. Was rear ended by a hit and run maruti 800 guy when stationary at a signal. Big dent which has been temporarily pushed back out. Again rear ended by a bike who couldnt brake in time causing some paint to chip off from the bumper.
I had made up my mind at one point that I would spend rs 4k on getting my bumpers fixed, but I have decided to wait until I suffer more damage on the bumpers. It looks like theres great potential for it in our country.

The ugly -
Had a bad experience with hyundai service at HMP. The technician was not up to the mark at my first service and resulted in random damage to the ac vent. This set off a series of random rattlings in the car ranging from my entire dashboard, to the doors to the rear speaker console. 2 or 3 long months later and after printing out a 3 page documentation of all the things I have faced with my car with exact dates I approached the service manager and he took it onto himself to order all spare parts for my car and spent a whole day with a trusted technical advisor working on the car and also finishing off my 2nd free service. All the ac vents and center facia were replaced and the dashboard totally removed and refitted tightly. Engine oil changed cost around 950 rs and oil filter a further 400 rs. Air filter was only cleaned due to low running period. They also provided a comprehensive wash and full interior cleaning, and the car came out sparkling.
Again, I must commend hyundai for taking up my problems and providing me with a satisfactory solution. After all the horror stories from other dealers off late on tbhp, it was a refreshing change for me.

Can live with it -
I am a strong believer that a car should come with all safety features. It is unfortunate that the verna does not come with an airbags option on any of its models. But I try to make up for this by being extra careful, and avoiding overtaking on the left unless its totally clear, and following various other precautionary measures as a rule.

There have been a lot of discussions about the verna vs fiesta vs linea etc etc. I believe that the verna has a lot of strong points. Add to it the fun factor and you get a great little package. I hope this review is helpful to any prospective verna buyers. just doing my bit to give back to the community, everything the community has given to me. Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks