Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:14   #166
Senior - BHPian

How can 2 ownership patterns be SO similar?

Pras,

After reading through the entire thread, I want to share my verna ownership experience with you. Dont blame me if this starts to sound like "Ripley's believe it or not".

I bought my CRDI SX ABS (Ebony Black) from Spring Hyundai in Kolkata. Took delivery on 27th September 2008. A lack of experience made me source the sunfilm, floor mats and teflon coating from the dealer. Later found out he had ripped me, as his rates were atleast 50pct more than market rates.

Like you, the dealership had promised me a "pick up & drop" option when I bought the car. When the time came around for the first service, the service centre lady promptly told me that they had a shortage of drivers and I was to drop the car at the service centre myself if I wanted a service! Fortunately for me, I had taken the local sales manager's mobile number during the sale. Called him up and threatened to go to consumer court if promises made during sale were not met! The guy relented and sent over the showroom driver to pick the car up. Hope this doesnt become the normal routine everytime I need a service.

Like you, the car came back sparkling from the 1st service. But within a few days, there started a rattling noise from the extreme left part of the dash. Still persists. After reading your post, it seems quite possible that the service guys screwed up my car's AC vents too. Will take it up during the second service.

Like you (again ), I was told by the sales guy (before the sale) that an aftermarket headlamp replacement will not void the warranty. But when I sent the car for its first service, the service manager strictly told me that any electrical parts replacement will void the entire electrical warranty!

Incidentally, the delivery guys at the service centre screwed up my insurance papers (they gave my wrong address to the insurance company) as a result of which the actual policy has not yet reached me. Been driving around with the cover note. I believe you had some documentation issues during delivery as well?

So here's a question. If 2 of us - staying in completely different parts of the country have such similar experiences with the same car, is it safe to assume that there's a pattern emerging? Is a company like Hyundai - so renowned for its customer satisfaction - finally giving up the ghost?

In all other respects, I've had a wonderful ownership experience with my Verna. The engine is a monster, and the car (despite a soft suspension) lives up well to my hard driving. Till date, regardless of my driving, the mileage has not fallen below 13 kmpl. Just wish the company pulls its socks together and stops giving out dealerships/service centre rights to such idiots.
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:38   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Pras,

After reading through the entire thread, I want to share my verna ownership experience with you. Dont blame me if this starts to sound like "Ripley's believe it or not".

I bought my CRDI SX ABS (Ebony Black) from Spring Hyundai in Kolkata. Took delivery on 27th September 2008. A lack of experience made me source the sunfilm, floor mats and teflon coating from the dealer. Later found out he had ripped me, as his rates were atleast 50pct more than market rates.

Like you, the dealership had promised me a "pick up & drop" option when I bought the car. When the time came around for the first service, the service centre lady promptly told me that they had a shortage of drivers and I was to drop the car at the service centre myself if I wanted a service! Fortunately for me, I had taken the local sales manager's mobile number during the sale. Called him up and threatened to go to consumer court if promises made during sale were not met! The guy relented and sent over the showroom driver to pick the car up. Hope this doesnt become the normal routine everytime I need a service.

Like you, the car came back sparkling from the 1st service. But within a few days, there started a rattling noise from the extreme left part of the dash. Still persists. After reading your post, it seems quite possible that the service guys screwed up my car's AC vents too. Will take it up during the second service.

Like you (again ), I was told by the sales guy (before the sale) that an aftermarket headlamp replacement will not void the warranty. But when I sent the car for its first service, the service manager strictly told me that any electrical parts replacement will void the entire electrical warranty!

Incidentally, the delivery guys at the service centre screwed up my insurance papers (they gave my wrong address to the insurance company) as a result of which the actual policy has not yet reached me. Been driving around with the cover note. I believe you had some documentation issues during delivery as well?

So here's a question. If 2 of us - staying in completely different parts of the country have such similar experiences with the same car, is it safe to assume that there's a pattern emerging? Is a company like Hyundai - so renowned for its customer satisfaction - finally giving up the ghost?

In all other respects, I've had a wonderful ownership experience with my Verna. The engine is a monster, and the car (despite a soft suspension) lives up well to my hard driving. Till date, regardless of my driving, the mileage has not fallen below 13 kmpl. Just wish the company pulls its socks together and stops giving out dealerships/service centre rights to such idiots.
@predator I dont mean to degrade our country in anyway, but yes, the fact is that most issues arise because of lack of discipline and negligence on the part of the authorities/technicians etc.
After studying in bangalore for 4 years I have been working in chennai for about 5 or 6 months now, and to be honest I have had an issue related to every small thing here (both car related and non car related). I am constantly having to shout at customer care executives or receptionists or technicians, demand a meeting/call with the higher authority or supervisor or service manager or something and get my point across to him by giving them the most innovative and choicest of dialogues.
I made it a point to express my complete experience with hyundai here on this public forum so that everyone who reads it will be prpeared for the kind of treatment that a consumer is put through in india. Sadly, I went for HMP only because it was recommended as a company showroom, and it pains me to see that there are useless service engineers and technicians there who are incapable of doing anything more but use a screwdriver to turn a couple of screws and claim that a job is done.
As stated in a previous post, it was not until I blasted the service manager and made a huge racket at their showroom that he took iti nto his hands to send a guy to my office and then my home to have the issue fixed. But still the prob lem was nott otally solved. They told me that my stereo system was spoilt and that was another cause for noise. Yesterday i took the troubles of going all the way to the nippon service center to have it checked, and that guy opens it up and tells me that the system has no issues what so ever, the center facia has only double tape on it and most of the clips are missing or are metal clips and not the plastic clips and thats the reason for all the noise. Its sad that I cant trust my car with the company showroom and expect to have it returned to me in the same condition that i gave it to them.
Yes, I do feel that hyundai is taking us for a ride. But why? The company is primarily of foreign origin. Countries like japan, korea and china may not be proficient in english and stuff like that, but they have the one thing that we lack and that is discipline and awareness. Unfortunately, in india most consumers are negligent or ignorant (this may not be his/her fault), and other people just dont care. The problems start here, and then everyone ranging from the sales person to the dealer to the service center to the manufacturers themselves take advantage. To be quite honest, I dont think we can just blame hyundai for this. The reason they take us for a ride is because there are so many people who are not aware of the things that can go wrong, hence customers like us who know what we are doing also suffer in the process.
I know that my feelings expressed above may court many comments from other members of this forum, but this is a personal opinion. I would like to take this chance to again mention, that tbhp deserves a lot of credit for spreading awareness regarding every tiny aspect of the auto industry, ranging from choosing a car to buying it to maintaining it and even the reselling part of it.

Coming to your points, let me mention some of the brighter aspects - while buying things like teflon coating and sun film at the dealer may rip us off, at least if the job quality is not good you can go and stand at their doorstep and claim big time for their poor work, as opposed to getting it done at a random shop, and then suffering in case things do go wrong. But yes, stuff like interiors work, are not worth getting done at the dealer, and I'm extremely happy with my investment on my interiors that i got done outside.
Even I wasnt to happy about the service pick up and drop thing. But given that I had a lot of minor issues during 1st service, and after my experience with hyundai so far, by no means would I like to hand my car over to one of their drivers. 1) I dont know if they can be trusted 2) You dont know what condition you will get the car back in. 3) When you personally go there and explain the problem they dont have the IQ to understand what your saying and treat the problem, I dont see how we can expect some random guy to come and pick it up and expect them to communicate the issues with the eventual technician.
Personally, I would suggest to everyone that they personally do the dropping and picking up of the car during service. I dont know if a thread exists on the forum that educates people about the things to do on "service day" ( I didnt find it). It would be great if the mods can create a comprehensive list of things to do during service drop and pick up (similar to the to do list on the day of delivery, i loved that article).
I suggest that you dont wait till 2nd service. The reason that they got the job done eventually on my car was because i pestered the hell out of them. I made constant visits to HMP at my expense and irritated them and shouted at them until they had to do something about it, because I would make it a point to create a scene in front of other customers and I know thats where it will hurt them the most. Once you wait till 2nd service they will claim it as wear and tear and cheat you again. Also, if its a rattling problem ensure that you take them for a TD of the car on a route that you take everyday, and drive the car yourself so that your simulating exact conditions. Have them take the dashboard apart, fit everything properly. Check everything from ac vents - front facia - stereo system - door panels - ORVM - i even had to have padding done on my rear speakers because that was an issue as well. Supervise them and watch their every move. Keep engaging them in dsicussions regarding exactly where, how and when you get noise and what kind of noise it is. I made a lot of funny noises during my painful process. Yes, I felt like a real idiot, but I wasnt going to let them turn me and my beautiful car into a pauper.
No I dont think I had any documentation issues during delivery. In fact even the RC was ready in the stipulated time that they mentioned. Just that delivery got delayed because it was a continuous 3 day bank holiday and the cheque didnt clear as scheduled.
I have had a wonderful experience with my car as well. My uncle with his fiesta keeps trying to tell me about how his suspension is better and blah blah - I'm sure he wont feel the same way when I smoke him (and I did it too the other day) . I get good mileage as well for my turbo-charged-aholic way of driving and I wouldnt trade her in for anything else in the world.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 23rd February 2009 at 18:48.
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:38   #168
rippergeo

@pras- blasting the dealer doesnt work that well. If it comes to that, its best taken to another service centre, rather than forcing people who dont care about their work to do a good job.

Old 23rd February 2009, 20:55   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@pras- blasting the dealer doesnt work that well. If it comes to that, its best taken to another service centre, rather than forcing people who dont care about their work to do a good job.
Well it would have been a different case if I was not satisfied with their level of service. The point being that my car was actually damaged. I dont see why they had any reason to think that I would let them get away with that. I strongly believe that i was well within my right to demand that they put things straight.
And to bring up another point, for how much longer will we keep running? Today this dealer, tomorrow if I take my car to another service station and he does a job thats no better, eventually I will run out of places to take her to. Its this kind of mentality that gives these guys that sense of complacency. As consumers, its up to us to fight for our rights and make sure that they do a good job - who is bothered whether they "care" about their work? I give a damn whether he gets job satisfaction or whatever. I dont need him to love me or my car. I paid for the car. And I am paying for the service that he is doing for my car, and that money goes to him eventually. Why must anyone have to compromise because the guys working their dont "care"? hes not working there for free is he?

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 23rd February 2009 at 20:56.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:10   #170
rippergeo

What I'm trying to say is, if you need something done properly, try the diplomatic approach. Persistence helps. Raised voices don't. Usually.

If it has come to the point where a raised voice and arguments are required, how are you going to trust their workmanship? Do you take the day off work like some of us car nuts to make sure everything is done right? Or do you hand the car over after the blasting and hope that everything will be done to your satisfaction?

Just my 2 cents.

Old 23rd February 2009, 21:28   #171
BHPian

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is, if you need something done properly, try the diplomatic approach. Persistence helps. Raised voices don't. Usually.

If it has come to the point where a raised voice and arguments are required, how are you going to trust their workmanship? Do you take the day off work like some of us car nuts to make sure everything is done right? Or do you hand the car over after the blasting and hope that everything will be done to your satisfaction?

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed. I must bring it to your notice that it was 2 full months after my service before the issue was rectified. This involved quite a few trips to the service center and a lot of phone calls where I patiently narrated my story over and over again to about 10 different people, before I eventually had to take the screaming route on a day when I was unwell and made to wait for 4 hours at the service center(please read my previous posts, I have taken the pains to type out the full story for other ppl who may face similar situations). And yes, it was only after I lost my patience did he actually send a guy to my office and took the car apart there for about 2 hours. I took time out to TD the car and it was only then that he found the damaged parts. After that he came home the next weekend with the required parts and did the needful.
As you said, blasting and handing over doesnt work. What works is blasting if necessary, then you need to simulate your problems, and make sure they take necessary actions. More improtantly you need to constantly supervise their work and TD the car 2 or 3 times before you can arrive at a point where in your happy with the work theyve done. If everyone started forgiving these guys for their poor work and looked for other service centers, what will make these guys want to work? They will continue to cheat and people will continue to be fooled. I have no regrets what so ever with what I did, and the outcome of this is that I eventually managed to find a very efficient service engineer at HMP now who by now also knows me well. So this will hold me in good stead when I hand my car over to him for 2nd service.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:39   #172
BHPian

I think it is time you guys sent a mail to HMIL about this.
Cheers
Old 24th February 2009, 12:00   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
I think it is time you guys sent a mail to HMIL about this.
Cheers
Invariably these mails result in diplomatic and politically correct standard email replies. Not sure how much use there is in writing in.
Old 24th February 2009, 13:22   #174
BHPian

Although, till now i've not had any bad experiences with Hyundai's Service, but according to me the problem of being irresponsible and complacent about their jobs is not limited to Hundai only.
I have seen these happening everywhere, right from Honda, Maruti, Mahindra to Tata, where you will find a few people like these who are completely ignorant and irresponsible in their jobs.
Old 24th February 2009, 14:15   #175
rippergeo

My apologies, I had read your earlier posts, but had forgotten about the travails you experienced. I would have ended up doing the same you had one.
but would not go back to them

Old 24th February 2009, 17:14   #176
BHPian

Quote:
My apologies, I had read your earlier posts, but had forgotten about the travails you experienced. I would have ended up doing the same you had one.
but would not go back to them
Well the issue is never ending. They asked me to go and check up on the stereo system claiming that that may be the cause of the center facia rattling. Nippon gave me the all clear for the stereo system, so next I again have to push these guys for replacement of th complete center facia console. I dont think I can go away from these guys until they finish the job completely. The only advantage of my being dominant is that now they are willing to go out of their way to make sure that my car is in good shape.
i also received a call from hyundai customer care today to do a check on my car. I told her about all my problems as well. She was supposed to call me back in 10 minutes, which never happend. So go figure...
Old 24th February 2009, 17:17   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Although, till now i've not had any bad experiences with Hyundai's Service, but according to me the problem of being irresponsible and complacent about their jobs is not limited to Hundai only.
I have seen these happening everywhere, right from Honda, Maruti, Mahindra to Tata, where you will find a few people like these who are completely ignorant and irresponsible in their jobs.
Yes, its a wide spread problem isnt it. Thing is, most people dont voice their disapproval over these issues. The other day after I complained about the amount of time I was being made to wait early morning on a working day about 2 or 3 other people also expressed their concern on the increasing amount of time customers are being delayed at an overflowing hyundai service station. Things dont happen until you open your mouth and tell them that theyre being lazy. Either hyundai has to reduce their daily intake of cars, or they have to increase their personnel.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:29   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Yes, its a wide spread problem isnt it. Thing is, most people dont voice their disapproval over these issues. The other day after I complained about the amount of time I was being made to wait early morning on a working day about 2 or 3 other people also expressed their concern on the increasing amount of time customers are being delayed at an overflowing hyundai service station. Things dont happen until you open your mouth and tell them that theyre being lazy. Either hyundai has to reduce their daily intake of cars, or they have to increase their personnel.
The best thing you can do for this is this. Go ahead and try to make a good relationship with one of the mechanics in the service station. Give him so tips and such. I always do this and they work better and more carefully on the car. And when you take the car for any problems tell you want to give it to the same guy and when you speak to him give him a nag and tell him if he wants you to keep coming to him he needs to work even better. This always works in your favor as in out country the mechnics and other people who work for you expect returns.
Cheers
Old 26th February 2009, 12:19   #179
BHPian

Well, I had a nice experience with MGF Hyundai in Kochi during my first service.

I had booked my first free service on phone and reached the service center by 8:00am. There was only one guy in the whole service station and he was noting down the details for service. As usual, he took the details from me and told me to call up and come by around 5:30pm.

I was tired of my overnight travel from Bangalore to Kochi and told the guy the same and I would wait for the service to get over to collect the car. Even though he said that there are some cars from the previous day's lot for servicing, the service guy without any hesitation send in my car in the first set of cars for servicing. The servicing was done, washed and cleaned properly and handed over to me by 10:45am.

And after a few days i got a call from MGF hyundai asking feedback for the service.

I think that if we start with a positive note with the service managers there, they would always be ready to do things in our favour.

Cheers,
Old 26th February 2009, 19:25   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Well, I had a nice experience with MGF Hyundai in Kochi during my first service.

I had booked my first free service on phone and reached the service center by 8:00am. There was only one guy in the whole service station and he was noting down the details for service. As usual, he took the details from me and told me to call up and come by around 5:30pm.

I was tired of my overnight travel from Bangalore to Kochi and told the guy the same and I would wait for the service to get over to collect the car. Even though he said that there are some cars from the previous day's lot for servicing, the service guy without any hesitation send in my car in the first set of cars for servicing. The servicing was done, washed and cleaned properly and handed over to me by 10:45am.

And after a few days i got a call from MGF hyundai asking feedback for the service.

I think that if we start with a positive note with the service managers there, they would always be ready to do things in our favour.

Cheers,
Yeah I did all that as well buddy. But not only did my car start rattling after that, but even simple complains like the gearbox being hard etc were not resolved. You can only maintain a relationship with some guy who does good work. I would like to see how many people can be friendly with someone who returns the car in worse condition then when you gave it in. And yes, it was only after that customer care lady heard me mention that I wasnt satisfied with the service did she ask me to come back with the car - up until then I figured I would only go again there for 2nd service.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 26th February 2009 at 19:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks