Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 19:30   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2000 View Post
I read through the whole thread, skimming through replies and reading the ones you posted (no offence to anyone, I simply couldn't wait to see what Amby man had to say next). Very well written. Each time you post the mileage, it feels retro, like watching Shawshank Redemption.

I am myself a big fan of the Amby; like millions of Indians, it probably is the first car I saw. Times when Amby, Padmini, M800, Gypsy and Commanders were the only passenger options available. However, when I could finally afford it, I no longer had the nerve. Tough to manouevre, outdated engines and a new discovery thanks to your thread, nightmarish FEs.

Nevertheless, your post gives me the impression you love your car every bit not just because it is yours, but fundamentally because of what it is. I cannot say the same of my Santro.
db2000, I really love the Amby, you got to drive one of these with P/S and AC and then compare the same with it's modern counter parts, that's when you realise the bang for the buck. Everyday morning while going to work, I over take all the small japaneese cars with ease, or may be they just give me way.

All in all, if I had to get ride of the Amby, I would have not paid the Road Tax which I recently did, and that was quite a lot compared to the Second hand value of the car in the market, but I said to myself, that I'll just keep the Amby even if I buy a second car.

Buttom line is, I feel safe in the Amby, compared to small cars, and I like seating high. The car can cruse all day between 80-100 kms per hr, and the engine is a gem. The spare parts are cheap and nothing actually falls apart. The car is my daily drive and I love it. The FE is now 8-9 kmpl as winters are coming, and I can live with the same, as after calculations I have realised, even if I was driving an Alto, my savings on fuel would have only been Rs 1500/- a month. All in all, I love my Bull, and I think my Bull love me too.
Old 27th March 2010, 21:29   #122
BHPian

15K Kms up and all good.

Hi All,

I have completed 15k a while ago and the car is doing great. Recently got the dents and scraches removed and gave it a coat of paint, and the car is all shiny now. Got the fluids also changed along with the Air-filter. The Air-Intake pipe was also changed (the pipe that goes from the air filter to the distributor). All is good and the car is smooth. It's still a VFM purchase that I made and till now I have no regrets.
Old 28th March 2010, 01:00   #123
kkg
BHPian

Hi musicmanaman,

Bumped into this thread for the first time today and made sure to read it all the way. The Bull is great and you as his master (if i may say so) are doing the great work. I happened to visit Kolkata few months back and was pleasantly surprised to see so many Ambys.

I do have have a secret desire of owning a Amby Avigo one day but white in color. You have just revoked that wish. How about installing power windows in the Bull?. That would make it at par with all the modern cars as far as the creature comforts are concerned.Post some recent pics if you can.Again you rock man.
Old 28th March 2010, 02:48   #124
BHPian

Musicmanaman, what a thread! I too stumbled upon this thread after your 15k km update. You certainly seem to be love in the car. I have also been in the back seat of an Amby a lot of times(was too young to drive then) and the ride quality is no match with the likes of modern cars.
+1 to kkg. We would definitely love more snaps of the Amby.
Old 10th April 2010, 21:59   #125
BHPian

Hi All,

I have just put up my car for sale in the Classified section, under the Sedan catogory. Anybody interested can see the details there. No specific reason for sale though, all is well with the Bull.
Old 19th May 2010, 08:37   #126
BHPian

2 yrs and 17k kms

Hi All,

I have today completed exact 2 yrs with my bull, and have done 17k kms on him, the expirence has been great, still love ever time I drive him, apart from my radiator leaking a couple of times, I have had no major glitchs, the total od reading now is 41k plus, and the car is doing fine.

Spare pars are cheap, a couple of days back I walked into a near by HM work shop and picked up a rubber radiator pipe and a small rubber vacumn pipe and it costed me a total of Rs 47/-, had a smile on my face while paying the bill, and changed the pipes myself in 2 mins.

The FE over these 17k kms with AC 100% and all city drive averages at 7.5 kmpl, which I think is not at all bad for a petrol car his size, and I'm not light footed by any means.

If only HM could bring a little finess and smoothess into the Amby, it's a very practical car to own. Will keep updating as I log in the kms. Cheers.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 19th May 2010 at 08:41.
Old 28th May 2010, 08:45   #127
BHPian

Changed Fuel Pump, Fuel filter and a 2 fuel pipes, total cost 5k. The original pump lasted close to 42k, don't know if that is good or bad.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:53   #128
BHPian

Looks like you didn't sell the amby after all. Must be too much in love with it !!
Old 28th May 2010, 10:24   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Looks like you didn't sell the amby after all. Must be too much in love with it !!
Yeah, I get fedup with things too quick, but Amby I'm not over with so far.
Old 7th September 2010, 06:28   #130
BHPian

20k up and all good.

Hi All,

I have completed 20k with the bull and all is well. The total on the odo now 44k, the car is going to complete 6 yrs soon, out of which I have owned the bull for about 2.5 yrs.

The Bull was jerking last month, just got the fule lines cleaned, and the jerking is gone, and the mileage has shot up by about 1.5 kmpl, also got the air filter changed. The FE now is 9 kmpl with full AC and only city driving, not bad for a car displacing 1.8 liters, and a big AC.

As I mentioned several times before, the car has only problem which cannot be rectified is overheating in traffic jams with AC, apart from that, it's one of the strongest cars on the road. The radiator also needs to be checked atleast once a week, for levels, and top up done.

The bull is smoother now, and feels as tight as ever. Hoping to keep him as long as I can.
Old 7th September 2010, 08:04   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
As I mentioned several times before, the car has only problem which cannot be rectified is overheating in traffic jams with AC,
Yes, you've mentioned this several times before and I've given you the solution too.
You need to fix another fan in front. Get a good (SAFARI/SUMU) one from Mallik Bazaar. connect it with a manual switch. keep it on during heavy bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 7th September 2010, 08:15   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

FE of 9 is real good! Hope you enjoy the bull for a long time to come. Please post some nice pictures of it whenever you get time!
Old 7th September 2010, 11:14   #133
BHPian

hi, your updates to the point for every 1000 km is great and gives an idea of how much regard you have for the car.

for the last three months i am driving my uncles amby 2.0 diesel. and following are my obserrvations.

1. it is an absolute bliss to drive with PS.
2. As mentioned by you the AC is a chiller and the lowest setting cools the entire cabin in a couple of mins.
3. Brakes are one thing which need improvement.
4. Comfort is the best and ride is good to at high speeds. Soaks up pot holes pretty well at high speeds.

may start a thread for the same as i will be having it with me for some time.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:05   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Yes, you've mentioned this several times before and I've given you the solution too.
You need to fix another fan in front. Get a good (SAFARI/SUMU) one from Mallik Bazaar. connect it with a manual switch. keep it on during heavy bumper to bumper traffic.
Rudra Sir,

I'll have the cut the grill infront for this I suppose, which I'm not too confident doing, first for the looks, and secondly, the Avigo grill is not available easily, difficult to find. Let me know if the solution that you are talking about is with the grill being cut.
Old 8th September 2010, 22:57   #135
Senior - BHPian

@musicmanaman - By any chance, were you driving on EM Byepass towards Park Circus today? You probably crossed 4 no bridge, then took a u turn in front of Park Circus PS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks