Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 23:23   #106
BHPian

Any updates on the Avigo, musicman?
Old 9th June 2009, 06:25   #107
BHPian

8k in 1 yr and all good.

Hi All,

I have completed 8k a couple of days back, and the bull is doing good as usual, the only problem I had was a small radiator leak, which was fixed.

The bull does not like hot days and the Isuzu engine heats up very fast, especially in congested traffic, give it an open road and it'll cruse all day I suppose.

We had a severe strom called cyclone Alia here in Kolkata, and that day I was out with the bull, felt very safe inside with that kind of weather outside, someting I would never fell while I had the Maruti Zen. The Bull had no problems going through water logged streets and heavy winds.

The last 1k km's have been uneventfull and I hope things stay that way.

The bull is still a VFM proposition in my view, especilly in the second hand format if you manage to get a good one like I have.
Old 9th June 2009, 07:40   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
The bull does not like hot days and the Isuzu engine heats up very fast, especially in congested traffic,
Where do you see the temp gauge when you say it heats up very fast?
Old 9th June 2009, 08:37   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Where do you see the temp gauge when you say it heats up very fast?
Almost touching the Red part of the heat guage, in other words 1 o clock to 2 o clock needle wise.
Old 9th June 2009, 08:45   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Almost touching the Red part of the heat guage, in other words 1 o clock to 2 o clock needle wise.
Check your radiator if it's working properly. This includes pressure cap too. Calcutta temperature can also help to heat up engine faster. If possible and if there's is space, add an additional fan in front of the radiator. Any Tata Sumo/Safari fan will fit in terms of size. Have a direct switch to that.
Old 21st July 2009, 09:53   #111
BHPian

9k up and all good.

Hi All,

I have now completed 9k and all is good.

The bull as usual is going about doing it's job.

Couple of things I need to get done are.

1. Get the passenger side spring welded, this is a weak spot of the Amby
and since my family is on the heavier side, it has now broken a spring. Solution is simple and I had done the same on the driver side some time back, remove the seat and a simple weld does the job, but yes the seat covers need to be removed and is time consuming.

2. Change the engine oil, break pads and shoes.

3. Some small denting and scratch work also needs to be done, but I will most probally get this done during winter.

I'm still in love with the bull and enjoy driving it everyday.
I think this tread should now be transfered to Long term ownership section.
Old 29th July 2009, 21:43   #112
BHPian

Aman!

I just drove the bull for the first time today.

Is the clutch supposed to be as heavy as lifting the entire car on my ankle?

I just fell deeper in love with it today. For all its shortcomings, its like I'm blinded by love.
Old 4th August 2009, 06:35   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
Aman!

I just drove the bull for the first time today.

Is the clutch supposed to be as heavy as lifting the entire car on my ankle?

I just fell deeper in love with it today. For all its shortcomings, its like I'm blinded by love.
The clutch is heavy, but not as heavy as you have expirenced, I suppose something is wrong with the clutch in the car you drove.
Old 4th August 2009, 06:39   #114
BHPian

A few things done.

Hi All,

A couple of things I did over the weekend.

1. Changed the Engine oil, this time I have put in Castrol Magnatec.
2. Changed the Engine Oil filter.
3. Changed the Break Pads.
4. Changed the Break shoes.
5. Got some bushes changed in the front and back suspension.
6. Changed 1 tyre which was bad.

Some tak sound was coming earlier while breaking, which is gone now.
Old 18th September 2009, 19:50   #115
BHPian

Completed 10k today.

Hi All,

I completed 10k today and all is good. The Bull is going about it's job as usual. I have to say here that when I picked up the Amby, I was doubting it's reliability compared to Maruti's, but after driving the Bull almost everyday as my daily drive, I have to say it's quite reliable.

Now, I have been wondering weather I should change my Car, I guess I'm just bored, but no wonder how I work the maths, it always is cheaper to have my Amby even though it drives on petrol and only gives 7.25 Kmpl with AC on 100% of the time and all city use. Pluse I don't have any headach of EMI attached to it, which I'll have if I pick up a new car. I feel I would have definetely pick up a Nano, if it was available off the shelf, as that would have really saved me money over time, but no other car comes close to saving money at this point of time, point to consider here is I drive only 600-700 Km's a month, maybe I drive less becasue the fuel comsumption is high, maybe I would have driven more if I had a more fuel efficient car, I don't know, but for me to save money I will have to have a petrol car give about 16-18 KMPL, which no current petrol apart from the Nano can deliver, the Alto maybe close but It's just too cramped.

So hence after doing all the maths, I come to the conclusion that my Amby is still the cheapest to own over a 5 yrs term with a usage of 600-800 Km's per month.

Apart from my purchase price, over the last 10k Km's my expense is working out to RS 10 Per Km, this involves Fuel, Maintanence, and Parking and Washing. This Rs 10 is apart from Purchase price, Transfer cost and Insurance. Now my Tax is due in the next 30 days, and I think it'll cost me between 20-25k to renue it, this was the primary reason I was considering sell my Bull and buying a new car, however I suppose I'll just pay the tax and retain my Bull.
Old 14th October 2009, 14:21   #116
BHPian

Road Tax paid today for the next 5 yrs.

Hi All,

Today, I paid the Road Tax for my Bull, Total Tax was 25320, break up was about 15k odd for Road Tax and 10k odd for Tax because the Car has A/C, don't see my a car has to pay seperate Tax just becasue the Car has A/C. Now that I have paid up the Tax, will retain my Bull for the next 5 yrs. The Bull has been going strong, without a fuss, and I must mention that Amby's are pretty reliable, atleast it has been the case with me.
Old 27th October 2009, 19:24   #117
BHPian

11k up in 17 months

Hi All,

My bull has completed 11k now, all is good.

2 things I don't like about the car are

1. Radiator

2. Breaks.

2 things I really like about the car

1. Seating is tall, and get good view of the raod ahead.

2. The engine is a gem, the engine is capable of much more than what the
body is capable off.

Watch this space for the next update.
Old 27th October 2009, 19:34   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hard to come by passionate Amby owners these days. The rusting was a major problem on many Ambys. How good is your car holding up on this factor?

Overall the Isuzu is a fun car to drive, the body can handle good speed, the brakes can't.
Old 27th October 2009, 20:21   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Hard to come by passionate Amby owners these days. The rusting was a major problem on many Ambys. How good is your car holding up on this factor?

Overall the Isuzu is a fun car to drive, the body can handle good speed, the brakes can't.
The rusting problem is so far so good, the car is only 5 yrs old.

The Breaks on the car, need to drastically improve to inspire confidence, the body tends to roll a bit at speeds.
Old 10th November 2009, 00:49   #120

I read through the whole thread, skimming through replies and reading the ones you posted (no offence to anyone, I simply couldn't wait to see what Amby man had to say next). Very well written. Each time you post the mileage, it feels retro, like watching Shawshank Redemption.

I am myself a big fan of the Amby; like millions of Indians, it probably is the first car I saw. Times when Amby, Padmini, M800, Gypsy and Commanders were the only passenger options available. However, when I could finally afford it, I no longer had the nerve. Tough to manouevre, outdated engines and a new discovery thanks to your thread, nightmarish FEs.

Nevertheless, your post gives me the impression you love your car every bit not just because it is yours, but fundamentally because of what it is. I cannot say the same of my Santro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks