Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2024, 06:57   #1
BHPian

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-ap2.jpg
2024 Land Cruiser/Prado in Heritage Blue

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-ap3.jpg
Another angle

This is my journey towards my dream car, the Toyota 4Runner, which took an unexpected but lovely turn. While looking for an SUV in the USA in 2015, the design and capability of the 5th generation Toyota 4Runner caught my attention, but its engine and gearbox were primitive, going against my like. So, I brought a Toyota Highlander AWD, 3.5V6 as a gap filler for the next 6 years and then moving to 4runner once gen6 is available.

It’s now 2022, and there is no sign of Toyota updating the 4Runner. The Gen 5 sales are still going strong, especially with the pandemic hit and the ladder-frame SUV craze exploding with the introduction of the Bronco. The Gen 5 4Runner saw its highest sales numbers in its life during 2022, and I started losing hope of updated 4runner since it’s selling like hotcakes. My Highlander is now around 7 years old, with 55K miles, which is very low by US standards. However, I can confidently say it has faced more extreme scenarios than a typical Highlander or monocoque SUV but has encountered zero problems to date, other than periodic maintenance.

I have done several mud/slushes off pavement trips, lakebed runs, and it has served me well for my photographic trips over these years, which is typical for a Highlander. We also did lots of camping trips where the third row was folded down and filled with tents and supplies. What is not normal is that this car also served the purpose of a pickup truck. I used it to haul 8 ft 4x4 timber, several bags of soil, bags of stones for my DIY backyard garden, unassembled furniture, a few 24inch clay plant pots, and the list goes on. Recently, I completed an 11-day road trip from the Bay Area to Yellowstone, and the car performed like a charm.

Even with all these activities, the car has no squeaking, zero body rattle whatsoever, and is in perfect condition. So, why replace it? It’s a long-pending desire for an off-road, a rear-wheel-biased SUV with low range. Ultimately, it's a battle between the heart and the brain.

After losing patience, I almost decided on a Defender 110. Then, rumors started popping up about the Toyota Land Cruiser (200 series at that time), which had left the US market in 2021, possibly coming back in the form of the Toyota Prado. I started following this news, especially on the TFL – The Fast Lane YouTube channel.

By the first half of 2023, Lexus announced the GX550, the Lexus cousin of the Prado. The updated model with a twin-turbo V6 showed significant performance improvements over the GX460, but the efficiency remained almost the same which is thirsty, leaving me in a dilemma, because what I needed was a daily driver car.

Then, by October 2023, the official announcement came from Toyota about the Land Cruiser. Even though it’s called a Land Cruiser in North America, it’s the Prado elsewhere, which I like more than the LC200/300. The design of both the new Land Cruiser Prado and the GX550 gives a feeling that they are more off-road focused compared to the curvier design of the current generation. The wheel arches have enough space to upgrade to bigger tires if needed. Especially for the Land Cruiser, the bumper design is modular, allowing for the installation of a steel bumper without cutting any body panels. Simple description is It’s a boxy design.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-land-cruiser-no-prado-badge-north-america.jpg
Its called as Land Cruiser in North America, No Prado Badge anywhere.

The main differences between the GX550 and the Land Cruiser (Prado) are:
• Engine and Transmission: GX550 has a 3.4L twin-turbo V6 with a 10-speed TC, whereas the Land Cruiser (Prado) has an inline 2.4L Turbo hybrid with 8-speed TC.
• Third Row Seating: The GX550 offers an optional third row, while the Land Cruiser (Prado) has only two rows due to the placement of the hybrid battery.
• Fuel Efficiency: The GX550 has a maximum of 17 MPG, compared to the Land Cruiser, which has a maximum of 25 MPG.

The price difference between the corresponding Lexus and Toyota was approximately 7k to 8k USD, which was expected. However, the major decision-maker for me was the taillight design of the GX550, which might sound silly. I can’t tolerate the full-length taillight of the GX550, a new trend in all new Lexus models. What I must live with is renting a van if relatives visit from India or if I need to carry more than five people, which I find acceptable compared to what I’m getting into. Spec-wise, there is only a minor difference in power and torque figures between these models, but there is a huge difference in efficiency. The LC hybrid is significantly more efficient, which is also a major factor in the decision process.

Within one week after the announcement, I went and placed my deposit at a showroom known for selling vehicles at MSRP in the Bay area. I chose a middle “Land Cruiser Trim” in Heritage Blue with a dual-tone color scheme. I was 37th in the queue, and now it’s a waiting game. Deliveries started around April 2024, with the first batches of vehicles being the costly First Edition or entry level 1958 trims. People who were willing to pay the markup started receiving their cars. I also received offers with markups ranging from $5,000 to $20,000 USD, which I rejected. I even went to the extent of calling dealers in Boston to see if they had a car available without a markup. If I could buy one, I would be willing to make a cross-country trip, as I felt the money spent would be worthwhile compared to paying a markup.

There was still some confusion about what would happen if a Gen 6 4Runner were announced during my wait for the Land Cruiser, what if it is a better car? Toyota announced the Gen 6 4Runner around May 2024. Until Gen 5, the 4Runner had a unique styling compared to the rest of the Toyota lineup, which I liked. However, the Gen 6’s from front end till the rear door bodyline looks exactly like a Tacoma pickup. The interior also resembles that of the Tacoma, which made my decision easy. I’m sticking with the Land Cruiser.

As time passed and production increased after the initial glitches, markups began to narrow down (though not at all showrooms). I then realized that my color combination is causing further delays, as the dual-tone colors with the option I wanted (or rather didn’t want) were not initially produced in large numbers.

By that time, I had developed a good rapport with the sales guy who helped me with the deposit. Around mid-July, I received a call from another sales guy from the same dealer asking if I was interested in a Trail Dust dual-tone color. It took me 30 minutes to decide and respond, and by the time I got back, another customer had taken it. Another week passed by and then I received a message from my sales guy with the exact color that I requested, and I jumped on it. I got the VIN for my allocation, and at this point, the car is still in the vessel on its way from Japan to USA.

After two weeks, I received a call from my sales agent informing me that my car is ready for pickup. I had been expecting further delays at the port, as I had heard from others that there had been delays due to quality checks on some models. Additionally, I did not have an approved loan at that time. Fortunately, I was able to arrange the loan within the same day and was able to get a good deal for the insurance as well. The next day, I arrived at the showroom and could see my car in the delivery section from a distance. After the PDI, took a test drive, and after a minor delay with the documentation, the Land Cruiser reached home.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-first-look.jpg
The first Look when I reached the showroom for pickup

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-canyon-road-front-view.jpg
At Canyon road near my House

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-canyon-road.jpg
Another view at Canyon Road

The car allocated to me came with a few options I hadn’t requested, such as 20-inch wheels and a Premium Package, which increased the price by another 10-12%. Unlike American or European brands, Japanese cars cannot be factory-ordered with the exact options you want. Instead, factories build cars with options based on their own studies, and users can only choose from the available inventory based on what you are looking for. On my car, the Premium Package was added at the factory, but the 20-inch wheels, door edge guards, and paint protection film below the door handle were added by the distributor once the car reached the port (PIO – Port installed Options) to make a quick profit, which I normally can’t reject at the dealer when the car is at high demand.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-20-inch-defeat-purpose.jpg
PIO 20 Inch wheels that defeat the purpose of this vehicle - atleast for me

I attempted to revert to the original 18-inch wheels at an additional cost, but the dealer did not have them available. By that time, my child had fallen in love with the 20-inch wheel design, so I decided to keep them until my first tire change.

Mine is a middle trim, which had minimal PIOs. However, for the base 1958 trim, the PIOs significantly increased their price, bringing it dangerously close to the middle trim price. As a result, the 1958 trim remained available at dealerships for some time, when the middle and first editions were tough to get. The good thing about my dealership was that they didn’t add any unwanted accessories, which would have required me to negotiate their removal. Considering the waiting period I had already had, I decided to accept the car as it is.

Two features that I particularly appreciate in the Premium Package, which I would have otherwise had to order separately, are the sunroof and side steps. The car sits much higher compared to my Highlander, making it more difficult for my kids and wife to get in and out. The side steps the grab handle near each door to make entry easier.

The Premium Package also includes a 14-speaker JBL sound system, which doesn’t matter much to me, as I only need a basic music system. The console cooler is another feature I have mixed feelings about. While it can also function as a console box when the cooler is turned off, it only has space for four half-liter bottles. I prefer the original console box without a cooler, as it is deep enough to hold a 14-inch laptop.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-key-fob.jpg
Normal shaped Toyota keyfob with Landcruiser writtern

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-sunroof-additional-package.jpg
No default default Sunroof, its an additional Option

Other features in premium package are Digital Key capability, digital rearview mirror, wireless charging, leather-trimmed memory/power driver's seat, Head-Up Display, Lane Change Assist, Front Cross-Traffic Alert and Traffic Jam Assist, Semi-automatic parking, remote start and goes on.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-dashboard.jpg
View from Inside, Dashboard view

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-dashboard-controls.jpg
It’s good that they kept a lot of physical controls in the LC compared to the GX550.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-driver-seat-view.jpg
The driver and front passenger get power-adjustable seats.

The car features full-time four-wheel drive with a torsion differential in the center, low range, central and rear differential locks, a front stabilizer bar disconnect, CRAWL control, and multi-terrain select. This full-time 4WD setup is very useful in snowy or slushy conditions, as it eliminates the need to manually engage the 4WD mode when needed if the driver is inexperienced.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-offroad-goodies.jpg
Diff locks and Multi-Terrain Select are available on all trims, while the sway bar disconnect and CRAWL Control are only available on higher trims.

Let me start by noting some of my observations in comparison to my existing vehicles, the Highlander and the Duster 110 VGT. This is the first ladder-frame SUV I’ve owned, and I was expecting a somewhat floaty driving experience, which it indeed has, but is comparable to my Duster. It offers a more planted and smoother drive than the Gen 5 4Runner and absorbs most uneven patches with ease.

The vehicle features stadium-style seating and offers good visibility around. The steering switched from Power steering to EPS in this generation to incorporate safety and auto parking features. There are two sensors above the steering column that monitor your attention, beeping if you look away from the road or if your eyes appear sleepy. This feature can be disabled if needed. The trailer brake controller comes standard with a tow hitch receiver and connector. The hitch is useful for me to carry bikes during trips. The vertical design of the dashboard matches the vehicle's exterior character. Chunky gear selector with offroad functionality buttons and drive mode selector nearby. Customizable meter console which is expected at this era. Soft touch vanity lights. The car features a surround camera with a dedicated button. When you engage reverse, the car adjusts the rearview mirrors to provide better visibility and then returns them to their original position afterward. It also moves the seat backwards and adjust steering column once you park an open the driver side road which I find it annoying and disabled it from the infotainment screen. The front seats are power-adjustable, while the rear seats are not.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-second-row.jpg
Second row Seating

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-rear-climate-control.jpg
Rear climate control

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-boot-space-hybrid-battery-showing-3-inch-above-normal-floor-height.jpg
Boot Space: The hybrid battery stays 3 inches above the normal floor height.

Mine is equipped with black leather seats and a 12-inch touchscreen with the new Toyota infotainment system that began appearing on some models from 2022. This system includes wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Additionally, the back seat has roof-mounted AC vents, that were not very common in earlier Toyota ladder-frame SUVs.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-over-hear-ac-vents.jpg
Roof Mounted AC vents

The U.S. spec has only two rows of seating due to the hybrid battery located in the rear floor. Still the non-existent third-row passengers also get cupholders, separate AC vents, and USB chargers. One very useful feature, especially for me, is the 2,400-watt inverter that comes standard, which can power appliances like a microwave, a freezer or electric kettle. This is particularly helpful for camping and road trips. The second row is fixed and cannot be adjusted forward or backward, but the seating angle is adjustable. There is a slight hump in the floor that might affect the comfort of the middle passenger, which is expected in an SUV like this. Rigid LED DLR is color changeable between white and amber.
The second row doesn’t fold flat to provide comfortable sleeping space for overlanding. The seat is 4 inches higher than the rear when folded, but you can easily adjust it with an air mattress.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-rear-img.jpg
Boot space

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-2400-watt-inverter-120v-outlet.jpg
2400W Electric Outlet that can power 120v equipments.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-tiny-storage.jpg
A tiny storage behind the Hybrid battery

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-another-storage.jpg
Another storage behind Second Row

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-windshield-angle.jpg
Windshield Angle

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-opening-rear-glass-i-wont-miss-highlander.jpg
Rear Glass Opening

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-full-size-spare-tow-hitch-covered.jpg
Full Sixe Spare Tire and Tow hitch (Covered)

The Drivetrain: - i-force Max 2.4T
The engine is a 2.4L inline four-cylinder turbo with a hybrid motor sandwiched between the engine and the transmission. The 8-speed torque converter shifts moderately fast, much quicker than the 6-speed torque converter in the 2015 Highlander. The transition between the electric motor and the internal combustion engine is not noticeable during normal driving conditions. However, in stop-and-go traffic at single-digit speeds, you can feel it. It's not as bad as a mild hybrid or engine start/stop system seen in some other cars. This is because the engine shuts off more frequently during heavy traffic crawling and restarts with the throttle more often than the i-CVT system in other Toyotas. I-CVT hybrids can drive on electric power alone up to around 20 MPH, but this i-Force Max could only drive up to single-digit speeds and rest in assisted mode.

Even though it’s not as fast as its 3.4T in its Lexus cousin, GX550, the turbo lag is compensated with the thrust from the electric motor. As a result, it pulls almost like a diesel from a standstill, with peak torque of 630 Nm (465 lb-ft) available at 1,700 RPM. It requires only a slight throttle to reach 80 mph highway speeds. The engine feels like a more powerful version of the Duster 110 VGT, with no turbo lag, and the sound inside the cabin is also similar. Although the new Highlander and Grand Highlander also use this engine, it sounds more truck-like in the LC. Managing at city speed 30-45 MPH initially felt a bit tricky for me as the car accelerates with a slight throttle input. I was used to heavy foot needed for Highlander in similar situation. Because of the Hybrid, it gives almost similar MPG on city and highway use.

This car is equipped with Toyota Safety Sense 3 (TSS3), which includes Lane Keep Assist. Compared to TSS2, TSS3 more actively steers you back into your lane if you attempt to switch lanes without a turn signal.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-ap1.jpg
LC near a Wind Farm

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-ap4.jpg
Front View

The day after I brought it home, I drove to Santa Cruz with a full load of passengers, navigating curvy, hilly highways. It has slightly more wind noise than my Highlander, which is expected for this boxy shape. Toyota recommends premium fuel for this car, but I have seen on some forums that people are using regular fuel. The fuel tank is only 17Gallon which is smaller by any standards that gives around 300 miles range approximately.

I am still exploring its features, especially the tech features. I am planning to swap the 20-inch wheels with the 18-inch OEM ones, and I saw that some people are doing it on the LC forums. This is the only modification in my mind right now.

The Highlander was in such good condition even after 9 years that I wasn’t initially inclined to sell it. I tried to convince my wife to keep it for her use, but she doesn’t want to drive a big car and decided to let it go. The day before the sale, it reached its scheduled service mileage, and I didn’t want to skip the service even if I am selling it. So, I did the service, placed the ad, and the first person who came to see it ended up buying it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Img.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2636285
Cup holders, USB charging ports, and AC vents for the non-existent third-row passengers.

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-driverpassenger-gets-power-controls.jpg
Driver and Front passenger get Power controls

Here is my feeling after replacing the Highlander with an LC:-

What I miss:
• The third row for occasional use and the huge legroom in the second row.
• The smooth, quiet 3.5L V6 engine and its resonant sound at high throttle.

What I don’t miss:
• The lazy, slow-shifting 6-speed automatic transmission.
• The gas guzzling in the city and in traffic, with fuel economy dropping as low as 12 MPG.

What I gain with the LC:
• The fulfillment of my 35-year-old desire to own a ladder-frame SUV, inspired after seeing a Pajero SFX for the first time as a kid sometime during late 90’s
• An off-road capable SUV for my photography and road trips. While I may not get into serious off-roading, it provides a reassuring sense of capability when I see an unpaved road ahead. (Yes, I need better tires and wheels).

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-ap5.jpg
More Pics

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-ap6.jpg
More Pics
Attached Thumbnails
My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-old-faithful-new-kid.jpg  

arunrajk81 is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 11:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Top of our homepage today
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 12:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunrajk81 View Post
I’m sticking with the Land Cruiser.
Such a fantastic combination of features, reliability and a different color too. Wishing many more miles of happiness!
Old 4th August 2024, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on getting a unique car! This is a lovely shade and it kind of amplifies how the LC looks loved every bit of this SUV! Do keep posting updates for viewing pleasure!

It's sad Toyota doesn't consider cars such as this and RAV and Global models for india. They're still hellbent on flocking the same brands like Innova, Fortuner and to just make it more diverse they roped in Maruti-Suzuki alliance to have badge changed cars on their line up.

Wish you million safe miles with this beauty and beast combined!
Old 4th August 2024, 12:16   #5
BHPian

I was waiting for a user review of this car. It's an absolute gem and also value for money. It's one of my favourite cars. also, it's an appreciable in-depth review. Also, many of your clicked images are wallpaper worthy for sure
Old 4th August 2024, 12:27   #6
BHPian

Congratulations! I've been in the same boat, waiting for a long time for the 4runner refresh but finally got tired and pulled the trigger on the GX 550.
I picked mine up last month.

Co-incidentally, I'm in the SF bay too. Maybe, we should meet up for a photo shoot of the siblings :-)

My journey towards a Ladder Frame SUV | 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-img_9488.jpg
maranellored is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed