Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2024, 11:05   #1
BHPian

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review

What I like
  • The way it looks and the imposing stance (You don’t have to strain your eyesight to find your car in a parking lot with 300 cars)
  • The 3.6 ltr. V6, an all-aluminum, Double Overhead Cam, 24-valve naturally aspirated & port injected engine with 285 horses (This is the fourth 6 pot motor in my current garage; there is one inline 6 though, stayed away from gravelly sounding 2 ltr. Turbo, no offense intended to the 2.0 ltr. Turbo owners)

• Powerful brakes (Not something that I was expecting so that’s great)

• Surprisingly pliant ride quality (After a Gypsy my expectations were low but was, I surprised)

• Infotainment: Stallantis has finally hit it out of the park with a 12.3-inch screen which is very responsive and crisp

• Factory-fitted remote start with 330 ft range (Believe me, in -35°C, it is a boon and the most important feature)

• Factory installed four auxiliary switches (two rated at 5 amps and two at 15 amps)

• Comprehensive safety suite with six airbags including side curtain airbags that were missing till the 2023 MY (2024 update - Did you ever imagine, a radar-based adaptive cruise control on a Wrangler)

• Minimal Noise levels even on 110kmph highway speeds (Hard to believe but my BMW 330i is louder)

• Fully floating Heavy Duty Dana M220 rear axle (Something that only features on military-grade vehicles or class 8 trucks & this has improved the towing capacity of Wrangler Rubicon (only) to 5,000 lbs.)

• Front & rear locking differentials & electronically disconnecting sway bar (Would I ever require those is a million-dollar question)

• Factory fitted 275/70R17 BFG KO2 (These are Three Peak Mountain Snowflake rated so I don’t have to buy a separate tire/wheel set for the winter and thank God for that, I already have 3 sets in my garage)

• A whopping 10.8 inches (275 mm) ground clearance
And then some not so much
  • A bit disappointing steering: I know it’s a Recirculating ball setup up but come on the steering on my Gypsy feels better

• On a vehicle that costs close to C$80,000 on road, it came with fabric seats which are good but…

• A second/auxiliary Li-Ion battery for the ESS (Electronic Start Stop) - Known to die in 2.5 to 3 years

• Slightly jiggly ride: I know, now I’m nitpicking; it’s a body on frame, solid axle platform so…

• Fuel economy: I’m currently getting about 8.2 kmpl and that’s with air-conditioning on all the time with mostly city driving, so no reason to complain.

• Unlockable fuel tank lid (I mean, really Jeep....)

• Dealership experience, well that has nothing to do with the vehicle, or is it?

Parked at the dealership waiting for delivery
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240703_121711.jpg

Here we go again...

It has been a long hiatus away from the forum however I’m glad to be back. Most of us (at least the BHPians) often buy vehicles that tug at our heartstrings; more often than not, these are emotional and not rational decisions.

Some of you may know that I bought a Gypsy King back in 2016 (and I’m glad that I got one brand new as the vehicle went out of production sometime in 2018). Gypsy remains one vehicle that is closest to my heart (yes, I love it more than the German twins) for it reminds me what it was like to drive back in the day when I taught myself how to drive on a CJ-3B (yes, I’m a self-taught driver); the pure mechanical, visceral feel of solid axles (front & back), body on frame with a low range transfer case that could climb up a tree if enough traction was available. Gypsy is actually a much more refined experience (relatively speaking) but retains the same driving characteristics albeit a tighter steering and more powerful engine than the CJ 3B.

So the story starts with my endeavour to get an SUV for my wife (she currently drives a Hyundai Santa Fe V6 which is getting old and giving us grief). The only vehicle under consideration was a Lexus RX350 (the older generation) and she was fine with getting a 2-year-old car as she does not like the looks of the current generation and the fact that it now comes with a 4-cylinder engine. We went to a Lexus dealership test drove 2021 with about 40K on the clock and liked it very much. Just one day after that when I was downtown for a meeting, I saw a brand spanking new Wrangler parked right next to my 330i; I looked at it and that stayed with me after I came back home.

These pictures were taken on my way home
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240703_124441.jpg 2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-3.jpg

In the last 18 years, I had never considered a Wrangler as I found it to be too rough around the edges; now the Jeep purists might say that it’s a part of the package/appeal however it somehow did not work for me. Back in 2018 I did test-drive a JK at a local dealership but came away unimpressed; the noise levels at the highway speeds were atrocious and the overall feel of the vehicle somehow did not speak to me so that was that.

In the last 6 years, I have acquired two Germans and so my need for speed has been quenched to quite an extent. I do go out hiking/camping at least 3-4 times a year however have never ventured off the beaten path owing to the kind of cars I drive. Given the fact that I live one hour's drive away from the Rocky Mountains with one of the best scenic landscapes and I would like to do some sort of off-the-pavement driving (would refrain from calling it the oft-abused term “off-roading”) to get to that elusive/scenic mountain perch, I felt it was about time to get a 4X4, no not an AWD cross over but a proper SUV.

So, what were my options:
  • 2024/25 Land Cruiser: the local Toyota dealer told me that there’s a 2-year waiting period, so it was crossed out from the list of contenders; the six-cylinder engine recall on the Toyota Tundras put paid to my enthusiasm.
  • 2025 Toyota 4 Runner (a distant cousin of the Landcruiser Paro): well, it’s almost cartoonish looking and comes with a Turbo 4-cylinder engine. Additionally, the incoming lot in September of the current year is likely to be marked up by greedy dealers.
  • 2024 Ford Bronco: I did go to the Ford dealership and looked at a couple of Broncos parked outside. I did not test-drive the Bronco. The fact that the dealership staff showed the least amount of interest towards a walk-in customer was disappointing; a shame because I own (passed on to my daughter in 2020) a Ford Edge that now has 230,000 km without an issue so far. Here are some of the aspects that did not work for me as far as Bronco is concerned:
  • Bronco is big, almost the size of a full-sized SUV, and barely fits the standard parking lot, especially in downtown where the width of the lots is even less
  • On narrow forest trails, size is a major issue, especially when giving way to a vehicle coming from the opposite side. The width of the vehicle seemed a bit much, something that can be a hindrance on a trail.
  • I did not like the large swathes of plastic in the cabin
  • The placement of rear AC vents under the front seats is a bad design; we know the laws of Thermodynamics so that cold air is going nowhere
  • Independent front suspension is okay and results in a relatively good ride quality on the paved surface but I was going for a hardcore 4X4 so solid front axles were a plus for Wrangler
  • Ford Broncos’s Eco Boost 2.3 & 2.7 ltr. Turbocharged Direct Injected engines did not particularly appeal. Either you get the Eco or the boost, you don't get both. The 3.6 ltr. Pentastar is an all-aluminum, Double Overhead Cam 24 valve naturally aspirated & Port Injected & I dislike Direct Injection (though I have a Direct Injected B48 powering my 330i, I don’t like it). I have heard far too many stories of Caron deposit on intake valves, timing chain wear, fuel dilution & LSPI (Low-Speed Pre Ignition). This engine easily lasts up to 400,000 km before it needs major work. 3.6 ltr. Pentastar engine has been in service since 2012 and Stallantis has made millions of these over the last 12 years. All the TSBs have been issued and all the kinks ironed out
  • And finally the weight; Broncos on average are 500 to 650 lbs heavier than a similar spec’d Wrangler. Bronco Wildtrack is 870 lbs (almost 400kgs) heavier than the Wrangler Rubicon which is unfathomable and was a big negative.
Even if the Lan Cruiser & the 4-Runner were available, there is very high probability that I would have gone for the Wrangler for it spoke to me parked right there on the lot and that my friends is what a vehicle needs to do (at least for me & I'm sure for many of you out there) and then only it is a worthwhile vehicle that will give you some semblance of satisfaction and pride of ownership.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-1.jpg

Now comes the question of which variant: There are 18 models (2 & 4 door) available with three engines and two transmission options including a few PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid) models however I was very clear that it is going to be a Hard Top Rubicon with the V-6 and 8 speed automatic ZF transmission. With winter temperatures dipping down to -35°C, the soft top or the Sky One-Touch Power Top was never an option so that was settled.

Going back to the search for an SUV for my wife, I negotiated that we would replace her vehicle next year. Finally, earlier in July I started my search for the right dealership to talk to and zeroed down on one. Visited the place test-drove the Wrangler, and instantly fell in love. Closed the deal within a couple of days and the delivery date was set for July 8th. My daughter dropped me off at the store and brought the Wrangler home by evening. July is also my birthday month so let’s say I gave myself a very expensive present. With 5 cars we have run out of parking space with 2 in the garage and 2 on the driveway so now my daughter’s car has to be parked on the street and she is not very happy about it however I’m planning to sell off the 330i and the Santa Fe so parking situation should soon improve.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240712_204756.jpg

Let’s talk about the kit.

As mentioned earlier this one is a Rubicon with the 3.6 ltr. V-6 that puts out 285BHP and 260 Ft lb (353 NM) of torque. It has an 8-speed ZF transmission which is butter smooth. Exclusive to Rubicon is the famous Rock Track (NV241OR) transfer case (Low Range 4.0:1) and a 4.10:1 Final Drive Ratio that translates into a 77.24:1 mind-boggling crawl ratio. Standard fitment on the Rubicon includes Front & rear locking differentials and electronically disconnecting sway bar.

On Day 3, about 70 clicks from home in the countryside
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240705_175338.jpg 2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240705_175507.jpg

In addition, the vehicle comes with Safety & Convenience package that includes:

Safety package:
  • Automatic High Beams
  • Blind spot monitoring
  • Rear Cross-traffic alert
  • Rear parking sensors

Convenience package:
  • Keyless entry
  • Front Heated seats
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Remote start
  • Universal Garage Door Opener

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240705_174519.jpg 2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240705_174543.jpg

Stellantis has made some major changes to the Wrangler for the MY 2024.

So, what’s new on the Outside:
  • Dana 44 Heavy Duty Fully Floating Rear Axle (Only on Rubicon & Rubicon X models & this change increases the towing capacity on Rubicon & Rubicon X models to 5,000lbs)
  • 35-inch tires on Rubicon X from the factory
  • Trail camera mounted on the front grill (option)
  • Steel bumpers with integrated 8,000 lbs. Warn winch (option)
  • Slightly shorter newly designed 7 slat front grill
  • Elimination of the fender-mounted antenna (Now the antenna is integrated into the windshield)
New on the Inside:
  • A 12.3-inch infotainment screen with Uconnect 5
  • Addition of side curtain airbags
  • Corning Gorilla glass acoustic windshield (not sure about this, I think this started coming standard a few years earlier)
  • Acoustic front window glass on certain models
  • Redesigned dashboard with softer materials
  • Powered seats on the Rubicon X model
  • Forward collision warning with active braking alert
  • Radar-based adaptive cruise control
  • Enhanced sound deadening

Now coming to my particular vehicle:

Design & Styling

I believe that one of the strongest “pulls” of the Jeep Wrangler is that the design and silhouette stand out. You cannot mistake a Jeep Wrangler for any other vehicle for there’s nothing like this on the road. In spite of all the minor design changes that Jeep designers have carried out in the last 38 years (Wrangler started out in 1986) the design language has remained more or less the same. They realize that any radical change to the exterior appearance will alienate the Jeep customer and then it will be one more SUV and that thankfully remains the case with the 2024 minor tweaks that Jeep has done to the styling. The slab-sided nature of the side profile has not been messed around with and remains unmistakably Jeep.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240705_180104.jpg

The stance is imposing with a steeply raked windshield and the 275/70R17 BFG KO2s seem massive, especially on the tailgate. The fenders are 40 inches off the ground conveying its serious intention to venture into tough terrain. The fake (unfortunately) vents on the bulging hood tell you that the chops to undertake a serious endeavor. The door hinges are exposed and may not be up to the liking of some potential buyers but still speak to its military heritage. In my opinion, this vehicle is as squarish as they come and there somehow lies its appeal. While almost every SUV on the block is becoming bulbous in its desire for that elusive aerodynamic drag coefficient, the Jeep Wrangler says it gives two hoots for that.

An unmistakable Jeep it is.

Engine, Transmission & Performance

There are four powertrain options; the 2 ltr. Turbo with 260BHP, PHEV 2 ltr. turbo with a combined output of 375BHP, 3.6ltr V6 with 285BHP & the 6.4 ltr. Hemi V8 with 475BHP. Regarding transmission, there’s the 6-speed manual and the fabulous, butter-smooth 8-speed ZF transmission.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240713_142351.jpg2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240705_215242.jpg

I decided to opt for the 3.6 Pentastar V6 with the 8-speed automatic transmission. As far as the performance goes, one of the American auto magazines has clocked 7.7 seconds for 0 to 100kmph for this engine/transmission combination. The 2 ltr. Turbo is supposed to be faster and was clocked at 6.5 seconds. I have neither the intention nor the willingness to go anywhere near these numbers for acceleration as this is a 2.3-ton slab-sided 4X4 with the aerodynamics of a brick.

The ride quality of the Wrangler has vastly improved over the earlier generation JK however there’s no getting away from the fact that it is a body-on-frame platform with solid axles front and back. I must say however that the Wrangler’s ability to ride roughshod over smaller imperfections, and potholes is great. I also found the braking to be very good for such a heavy vehicle. End of the day it is a body on frame platform with solid axles and any large pothole, or expansion joint disturbs the composure of the car.

Font driver's side & rear passenger side suspension set up
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240713_144609.jpg 2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240713_142932.jpg

One thing that stood out for me was the ability of the vehicle to stay flat even when taking sharp turns; there’s an exit from my neighborhood to an intercity highway; it’s a hairpin and I took it at almost 75kmph (not advisable) and was shocked to find that the Wrangler stayed flat without any pitching or rolling; that was tremendous and explains the girth of the front sway bar.

Transfer case & other tools of the trade

Now let’s talk about the serious stuff.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240712_220646.jpg

The fabled Rock-Track transfer case
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240715_194832.jpg

As is widely known, the Wrangler Rubicon comes with:
  • A final drive ratio of 4.10:1 (3.45:1 on other models)
  • Rock track transfer case with a Low Range Ratio of 4.0:1
  • With first gear at 4.71 (8-speed automatic), all of this translates into a crawl ratio of 77.24 :1
  • Front & Rear Locking Differentials
  • Electronically disconnectable sway bar

Interesting bit: The front drive shaft utilizes a Universal joint at the pinion but a Constant Velocity joint at the transfer case end. The rear drive shaft (propeller shaft) utilizes a CV joint both at the pinion and the transfer case end.

Front drive shaft (notice the massive Front Lower Control Arm)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240715_201248.jpg

Rear drive shaft
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240713_144303.jpg

The general layout of the underbody
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-.png
*Picture - courtesy JL Wrangler Forum

Axles, Suspension, Steering & general layout

Steering is a Recirculating Ball setup which is supposed to withstand more abuse than a Rack and Pinion setup.
  • Front Axle: Heavy Duty Dana M210
  • Rear Axle: Fully Floating Heavy Duty Dana M220 with strengthened end forgings and 2.75-inch diameter axle tubes

Fully floating Axle layout
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-26.jpg
Picture courtesy - Motortend

Front Suspension
  • 4 link (Heavy Duty shock absorbers & coil springs mounted separately)
  • A beefier Tack Bar with forged endings that ties into the frame on one side and onto the axle on the other side
  • A strengthened Drag Link that ties into the Pittman arm & steering box
  • Heavy duty, strengthened Tie Road

The heavy-duty Drag Link, Track Bar & the Sway Bar

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240715_200259.jpg
  • The steering stabilizer is connected to the front axle
  • Electronically disconnectable sway bar
  • Heavy-duty lower & upper control arms
  • FAD (Front Axle Disconnect - this works on the principles of locking hubs but not exactly)

Rear Suspension
  • A beefier Tack Bar with forged endings
  • Heavy-duty lower & upper control arms
  • Heavy-duty shock absorbers mounted on lower control arm mounts & anchored outside of the frame rails
  • Heavy-duty coils mounted on the rear axle
  • Fixed rear sway bar

General Layout
  • The right side of the underbody is covered by a solid steel skid plate front to back
  • Good anti-corrosion treatment on the underbody
  • Liberal use of high-quality adhesives, fasteners, ties
  • Transmission cooler lines, and oil sump (reduced in size) are well above the axle tubes
  • The size of the end forgings of the axle, drag link, sway bar, and track bar is massive

Transmission cooler lines and oil sump well above the axle tubes
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240715_194713.jpg

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 21st July 2024 at 09:32.
Vikram Arya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 06:00   #2
BHPian

Re: My 2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Standard kit on my vehicle
  • 4:1 Rock–Trac heavy-duty part-time 4WD system
  • Dana M210 wide HD tube front axle
  • Dana M220 wide full floating rear axle
  • Electronic front disconnecting sway bar
  • E-Locker front axle
  • E-Locker rear axle
  • Forward Collision Warning Plus with Active Braking
  • Enhanced Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Electronic Stability Control
  • Advanced Brake Assist
  • Hill Start Assist
  • 4 and 7–pin wiring harness (for towing)
  • Off–Road Plus mode
  • Corning Gorilla glass
  • Supplemental front seat-mounted side airbags
  • Supplemental side airbags
  • Advanced multistage front airbags
  • Rear seat reminder alert
  • Power, heated exterior mirrors
  • Automatic headlamps
  • Remote proximity keyless entry
  • Security alarm
  • ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera
  • Transmission skid plate
  • Fuel tank skid plate shield
  • Transfer case skid plate shield
  • Torx tool kit for top and door removal
  • Push–button start
  • Uconnect 5W with 12.3–inch display
  • SiriusXM w/ 360L on-demand content
  • Media hub with USB port and auxiliary input jack
  • 8–speaker sound system with overhead sound bar
  • Google Android Auto
  • Apple CarPlay capable
  • Off–Road Information Pages
  • SOS call and Roadside Assistance call
  • Steering wheel–mounted audio controls
  • Dual–zone A/C with automatic temperature control
  • Selectable tire fill alert
  • 115–volt auxiliary power outlet
  • LED taillamps
  • LED fog lamps
  • LED reflector headlamps
  • Daytime running lights with LED accents

Build Quality, Exteriors, Fit & Finish

I can safely say that build quality has definitively improved in the last six years when I drove the JK, and the introduction of the Ford Bronco has a lot to do with that. Panel gaps are uniform and shut lines are tight. Have driven quite a few cars in the last 40 years and especially in the last 18 years out here; must say things have improved quite a lot.

Stallnatis has gone all out to reduce the weight of the Wrangler, The Hood, the doors, and even the tailgates (Al, Mg alloy) are all aluminum. The roof is plastic but the vehicle still comes in at 2.3 tons (Rubicon) and the underlying robust mechanicals are a major contributor (see pictures).

All the interior & exterior lights are LEDs and that includes turn signals as well.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122952.jpg2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122932.jpg
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_123020.jpg

The axles are Dana (M210 out front & M220 in the rear), the axle tubes are 2.75 in diameter & the axle end forgings are humungous coming in at close to 14 inches. The drag link, the sway bar & the tie rods are almost 1.5-inch diameter solid steel and all of that contributes to weight.

Wheels & tires

Rubicon comes standard with 275/70R17 BFG KO2 from the factory and these are seriously big. The alloy wheel design is new for MY 2024 & I very much like those.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240707_231651.jpg

Ground Clearance & Water Wading capability

With a massive 275 mm ground clearance and 864 mm water wading capability, Wrangler can tackle most if not all the challenges.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240705_180812.jpg

Safety

For the MY 2024 Jeep has made some major improvements to the safety suite. Now the Wrangler comes standard with 6 airbags including the side curtain airbags, ABS, Traction Control, ESP, Full Speed Forward Collision Warning plus Brake Assist comes standard. An electronic immobilizer with a Panic Alarm and a security system are also included.
I also opted for the additional safety package that added:
  • Automatic High Beams
  • Blind-spot monitoring
  • Rear Cross-traffic alert
  • Rear parking sensors

Cabin Design Quality & Cargo Capacity

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-jeep.jpg

Let’s make it very clear in the beginning that for such a large vehicle Wrangler is not very spacious inside however that is on account of its basic design and to a very large extent the front fenders that are external to the main body and the roll cage that goes around on the inside (Wrangler does not have a metal roof that is structurally integrated with the main monocoque but a plastic roof).

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122142.jpg2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-4.jpg

As soon as you get in the cabin, a commanding view which is head and shoulder above pretty much everyone else barring the class 8 trucks greets you. You’re sitting barely two feet from the windshield and facing a narrow squared-off dashboard with big/chunky controls (the idea is that even if you’re wearing gloves in the winter, you should be able to use the switches without taking the gloves off).

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122202.jpg
* The steering cover is an aftermarket accessory
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122306.jpg
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122544.jpgAttachment 26301122024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122616.jpg2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122627.jpg2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122639.jpg2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122647.jpg2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122657.jpg2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122707.jpg2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-ic.jpg

Plastic quality is very good, and controls are laid out very logically and are intuitive, everything is where it is supposed to be. Stepping from my 535i into Wrangler was a seamless transition. Seats are quite firm, and upright with manual control (height, lumbar support). I really liked the gray fabric with Rubicon in red woven into those.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_121928.jpg2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_121942.jpg

The rear seats are good but are a bit too upright and rear passengers may not be comfortable on a long road trip. Fortunately, I drive alone 99% of the time so that is something that I’m not overly concerned with. However, folks who are considering Wrangler as a family hauler must take a long test drive along with their family before making a decision.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_121745.jpg
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_125114.jpg

As the doors are removable, there is no storage space there. You can keep two bottles in the central console with a space for keeping two bottles for the rear passengers. The power window switches are located on the front panel below the AC vents, and you quickly get used to that location. Rear passengers also get their own set of power window switches on the central pillar behind the front seats.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-27.jpg

The trunk capacity is 900 liters with all seats up which is adequate, the space increases to 2,050 litres if you fold flat the rear seats. I’m an avid camper so now’s the time to buy a 12-volt fridge with a 1,000-watt battery pack along will all my camping gear and disappear for a few days.

Infotainment & other convenience features

For the MY 2024, all the variants of the Wrangler come equipped with a 12.3-inch infotainment screen that has great functionality built in. I went with the 8-speaker system that sounds adequate with good definition though I found the base a bit lacking I would have loved to get the Alpine set up, unfortunately, the dealer did not have a single Rubicon on his lot with the technology package. The system has a wireless Android Auto & Apple Car Play. The connection with the phone is seamless, as soon as I enter the vehicle and switch on the infotainment, it automatically connects with my phone, and I have access to all the useful apps such as Google Maps & Spotify on the home screen.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240711_122409.jpg

The vehicle has a two-zone climate control system with vents for the rear passengers, front heated seats, and a heated steering wheel. There are two USB ports in the front (one type A & type C each), an auxiliary port, one type A in the central glove box, and four USB ports (two type C ports & two type A) for the rear passengers. There are two 12-volt ports; one on the front panel, and one in the trunk (very handy for connecting the fridge). There is also a 120-volt (150-watt) connector that can be used to charge laptops, drones, and such as long as the draw is below 150 watts.

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240712_220154.jpg

The central arms console is a two-tiered setup with adequate space and a small LED light (very thoughtful.) There are four overhead LED lights built into the soundbar located between the front & the back row, two for the front passengers and two for the folks in the rear. There is one LED light each in the footwell on both the driver & passenger side and an LED light in the trunk mounted on the roll cage.

The sensors to lock & unlock the doors are built only into the two front doors.

Real-Life Fuel Economy

Although EPA rates it at 6.6 kmpl in the city and 8.2kmpl on the highway, I’ve already exceeded that number. With a mix of 70% highway & 30% city driving I got close to 7.1kmpl for the first 350kms and all of that with air conditioning on 100 percent of the time.

Truth be told I’m treating it with kid gloves as I would like to complete the first 1,000 kms with ease though I have already touched 110kmph on several occasions as that’s the speed limit on the highway.

After I reached the half tank again, I filled her up and the figure was 7.7kmpl with 100% city driving and with air conditioning on 100% of the time, now this was totally unexpected, and I was pleasantly surprised. I’m hoping to hit the 8.2kmpl mark for highway use by the time the first 1,000 km are up.

Today, a few hours earlier, I got the gas filled again and noted that the Jeep has done 343 km consuming 41.9 ltrs of 87 octane which translates to 8.2 kmpl. I must mention that 100-odd km out of which was covered on a peripheral highway called Stony Trail at a steady clip of 100kmph.

I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed and I have not hit the 1,000km mark (as I write this post the odometer reads 963 km).

I'm expecting 7 to 7.5kmpl in the city and 8 to 8.5kmpl on the highway. I will update this information in the future.

For calculations, I use tankful to tankful method (stop refueling at the auto cut), although I must mention that the Wrangler’s fuel economy gauge is almost spot on in terms of accuracy.

I would like to share some tips about safety & improving fuel economy that I practice:
  • No lightning takeoffs (unless you’re driving a sports car )
  • Anticipate when you need to brake and step off the gas
  • Aim high in steering and see if there’s a traffic snarl-up ahead (may help you take a detour)
  • Watch your surrounding traffic and check your rearview mirrors every 25 to 30 seconds
  • Shoulder check when passing (applicable even if you have blind spot monitoring)
  • Always check your rearview mirror especially when braking hard
  • Tap your brakes several times if you feel the person driving behind you is not attentive, this will wake him/her up from their slumber
  • Always try to drive into a parking slot and honk if you need to back out from a parking slot (this will alert a vehicle coming in behind you and might save you a fender bender)

Warranty coverage
  • Jeep comes with a 3-year or 60,000-kilometre Basic Warranty and a 5-year or 100,000-kilometre Powertrain Warranty.
  • Outer body panels are covered against corrosion for up to 5 years/160,000 kilometers.
  • The high-voltage battery has warranty coverage of 8 years/160,000 kilometers.

Jeep Wave program

All 2024 Jeep Wranglers are automatically enrolled in the “Jeep Wave” program that offers:
  • Within the first 36 months of ownership, Jeep Wave® members are eligible to receive their first 6 oil changes and tire rotations at no charge.
  • In case of a vehicle breakdown in the Warranty period car rental for up to five days with no limit on the number of instances.
  • In case of a mechanical breakdown more than 200 km from home, an allowance of $100 per day. Additional expenses for hotel, meals and return transportation for up to 3 days – for a maximum reimbursement of $300.
  • Extended Roadside Assistance, 5-Year 100,000 Km Coverage

Future plans

I’m planning to get a Ceramic coating and PPF done on the Jeep and then it will go in for some anti-rust treatment for the underbody. This is very important as the municipality uses a mix of sand, grit, and salt on the roads six months in the winter to improve traction and that takes a heavy toll on the vehicles (I can already see folks groaning but I will do my research before I opt to go in for this treatment on the Jeep).

As mentioned earlier I have also ordered accessories (only functional) from US and I will be driving to a US border post in the near future to collect those. Nope, I don’t want to change much on the Jeep as I like to keep my vehicles stock.

This will be the subject of a future post in the coming weeks/months.

General driving impression and the overall experience so far

As of finalizing this post, I have driven the Jeep for about 900 km and I have loved it. While driving the Wrangler I have started to pay much more attention to my surroundings as I gently feather the throttle. This is true both in the city & out in the countryside. I’m not in a hurry to reach anywhere and seldom exceed the speed limit; in fact, a couple of times found myself driving below the speed limit.

The commanding view from the driver’s seat is fabulous and places you head and shoulder above most of the other vehicles on the road. On slower speeds (below 100kmph) the steering is okay however at highway speeds, I found myself continuously correcting the steering to keep it in a straight line; found it a bit bothersome however quickly got the hang of it.

In the city I suddenly found myself being given way even by the city bus drivers which is quite surprising. The ride quality is much better than what I had anticipated. The in-cabin noise even at 110kmph (highway speed limit) is very reasonable and lower than the 330i (I believe the softer tire compound has something to do with that as tire noise with its ultra-high performance summer RFTs at highway speeds in the 330i is a bit high).

The infotainment setup is quite good with the system seamlessly connecting with my phone as soon as I switch on the system. The audio quality is quite good for what is a basic 8-speaker system; I have ordered a pair of kicker speakers to replace the dash speakers which should improve the quality quite a lot as per existing owners with the same setup. I have also ordered quite a bit of accessories for the jeep and those will be delivered in the next couple of weeks.

So why did I buy the Wrangler? Hmm....let me think: it snows here quite a lot in the winter with temperatures dipping down to -35C and a couple of feet of snow in 24 hours, conditions can become treacherous in the winter. Okay back in 2008 I used to drive a Honda Civic and deal with these same conditions without a problem most of the time so, that’s a slippery slope.

I wanted to own a Jeep because:
  • I live less than 100 km from the Rocky Mountains with a large number of Jeep trails and those can take me to places that I cannot hope to get to in a lesser vehicle.
  • I drive alone most of the time so don’t have to deal with the complaints (it’s tough to get into given almost 11 inches of ground clearance etc.) & I love that aspect so that’s that.
  • I can work on the vehicle, something that you cannot say for most of the vehicles of the current generation (truth be told, the Jeep comes with so much electronics that other than oil changes, and air/cabin air filter changes; everything else remains beyond an average Joe’s capability/capacity).
  • Last but not least; I love driving it and looking at it (one of neighbour complimented the Jeep saying that I own the best-looking vehicle in the neighborhood which by the way boasts of a BMW X5M, a couple of Land Rover Defenders, a Maserati Ghibli, A Porsche Cayman & several other great vehicles).
On multiple occasions, I have found myself going to my bonus room (located above my garage) window to look at the Jeep parked below in my driveway and that alone is the reason enough.

That dirt road about 80 clicks from this city is beckoning and I have to go….

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240705_181349.jpg
* Yes, that small spec is my Jeep

2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review-20240705_181451.jpg

Will update these pages soon… drive safe brothers!

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 21st July 2024 at 09:28.
Vikram Arya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 19:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 10:56   #4
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Review

Hello Vikram, that’s an awesome grab. Congratulations on getting the Jeep and wishing you a happy birthday. I like the white too with the contrasting black rubicon grill.

I get the feeling that I need to remind you, your wife still needs a replacement for here Santa Fe. Haha…

Regarding the underbody coating, I need to get it done for my car too. Don’t trust any claims for a 5 year anti rust coating. Thats mostly just for the body. The undercarriage parts take the full brunt of our salty roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks