Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2024, 17:02   #1
BHPian

My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024

My Google Photos memory reminded me that it was already an year since I got hold of a new set of wheels and this post was long overdue, I have been wanting to share my experience with buying and taking care of an used Skoda Laura TSI with all of you like minded folks

Quick background - I moved to Gurgaon in late 2022 and was looking to get an used car, given I would not be here for more than 2 years - decided to get a used one (plus, I do believe they are a better bang for your money unless you are looking to own it long enough). Prior to this, I was in Bengaluru where I owned a Honda Civic which was also bought used and I was spoiled by the overall quality of owning a nice Sedan.

Was looking for a mid-range overall good car with priorities on ride characteristics, Power, Looks, Interior space and hassle-free (or less hassles) maintenance. I am still a fan of Sedans especially given that most of my driving would be on paved roads. One exception was the Yeti - I always was a fan of its quirky design and also seemed like a fun car to go out on adventures with my bicycle (I cycle quite a bit and with the interest to explore places outside the proximity of my house - I drive to destinations along with my bike and make a ride plan in these new territories. Cycling is the ideal pace for me to explore new places and let them soak in, I had actually lived (while employed) in the Himalayas for 2 years of my life with my bike and have many adventures and pictures I am excited to share with everyone - this thread is WIP)

Sorry for digressing, coming back to the hunt - I checked out a lot of Yeti's but did not find any in good condition at the time, I was also looking at other options such as the Laura itself, Jetta, Elantra, Passat and found a 2011 Laura at a good price and was in OK condition - given the price I paid for it, I had enough reserve to get it painted and fix some of the issues it had. Mechanically it was in OK condition with service records till ~50K and at the time ODO was reading ~62K. No history if the frequent issues were taken care of (Timing chain, Water Pump, AC etc) I drove it around and got it checked with a few mechanics and rolled the dice on it - it somehow felt like the right fit

Some pictures from the day I got it

My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-very_first.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-first_front-left.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-first_front.jpg

I took it straight to the garage (Heera Motors near IFFCO chowk, basis recommendation from the directory) and below are some of things that it underwent,
  • Repainting the entire car - there were dents and scuffs across the Body
  • Replaced the windscreen as it was too scratched up and impaired night visbility
  • F and R suspension bushings and related items
  • Changing of all fluids
  • Changing of all filters
  • Got a set of used Octavia Rims and replaced the stock 15s with this 16s

Below are some pictures after this overhaul

My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-new_rear_r.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-fog_view.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-new_side.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-front_new.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-new_parking.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-new_right_r1.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-front_woods.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-twilight_new.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-highway_side.jpg

One of the other things I got along with the Octavia rims was the Slavia steering wheel. IMO, the Laura stock steering was a little too big + dated poorly and I was lucky to find a good one on olx.

My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-steering.jpg

What the massive boot is used for

My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-rear_cycle.jpg

Very recently, the car received some much deserved love with the following changes,
  • Got an android Head Unit with Android Auto to bring it back to 2020s
  • Backup Camera
  • Amp + Sub Woofer for some quality sound
  • Sound dampening of the doors and trunk
  • I had blacked out the Logos, replaced with stock new emblems from ASS (Did not like the look of blacked out Logos)
  • Windows Tinted for the Delhi heat (unpopular, I know but I was getting toasted)
  • Got an android tablet with Android Auto to bring it back to 2020s
  • New set of number plates
  • 'Eyelids' for the headlights as the parking light area on the headlight was cracking
  • A brand new set of Yokohoma Earth 1 tyres

Below are some pictures after this, unfortunately I dont have enough pics as this was recent - especially of the front view and interior - I can add more on this thread when I do get some

My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-rear_left.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-screenshot_20240630_165906_photos.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-side.jpg
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-rear_highway.jpg

Below are some of the issues I had to take care of in the last year
  • The AC system broke down twice, both due to the condenser fan not working
  • The clutch system needed replacement - the plate, cylinders etc

The maintenance experience has been better than expected, I was ready to have atleast 2-3 systems to needing serious work given its an old german car but the engine has been solid expect for one dreaded issue - the engine oil consumption I am still trying to figure out the rate at which it is consuming but still not able to. I did a full capacity replacement with fully synthetic and the rate seemed to have increased vs the standard one. If anyone has any tips and recommendations on this, kindly help

The ownership experience has been fantastic! The build quality is absolutely solid (The sound damping adds to it) and the driving experience is also very enjoyable. Have clocked close to 15K Kms on with a few long trips to Manali, Agra, Uttarakhand and several shorter ones as well and its a rocket on the highways (wish there was cruise control) The interiors are a bit underwhelming (coming from the civic) but still looks clean. A very fun car to own!

Although I am very happy with the current setup, below are some of the thoughts that pass by occasionally yet hesitant to act on them as I might I might just end up spending more than I should But your thoughts are welcome
  • Any sort of performance upgrades? Filters to Tuning - if it makes any sense to start this journey
  • If I can get the steering controls to work on the Android HU with some sort of jugaad
  • Lowering the car/ upgrading some of the suspension parts

Any thoughts/ advice/ feedback on the car/ mods/ whats written above is much appreciated

Cheers!

Last edited by thetinywanderer : 30th June 2024 at 17:06.
thetinywanderer is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 20:12   #2
BHPian

Re: My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024

Congratulations! Germans do have their fair share of 'Nakras' for which they need pampering and TLC.
sharmanova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 21:04   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi thetinywanderer - just curious why did you buy a 2011 car when you are based in Gurgaon? Aren't you subject to NGT's ban unless you are not based out of Gurgaon or I am missing something.
youknowitbetter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 22:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Hi thetinywanderer - just curious why did you buy a 2011 car when you are based in Gurgaon? Aren't you subject to NGT's ban unless you are not based out of Gurgaon or I am missing something.
I am assuming it's the 1.8TSI not the TDI. Hence, it can ply on the NCR roads till 2026.
Old 1st July 2024, 08:12   #5
BHPian

That's correct, this is a TSI and has another 2 years left to be on the road!
thetinywanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 10:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
Congratulations! Germans do have their fair share of 'Nakras' for which they need pampering and TLC.
Thank you so much I am okay to pamper it a bit, especially when the outcomes are worth it
Old 1st July 2024, 15:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetinywanderer View Post
but the engine has been solid expect for one dreaded issue - the engine oil consumption I am still trying to figure out the rate at which it is consuming but still not able to. I did a full capacity replacement with fully synthetic and the rate seemed to have increased vs the standard one. If anyone has any tips and recommendations on this, kindly help

Having lived with an used Laura TSI, my observations on oil consumption are as follows:
  1. Whenever the light came on, generally about 500ml of oil went in.
  2. I had the car from about 38k Kms to 74k Kms. Oil consumption increased after about 65K Kms.
  3. On long drives, I will have the light come in about 500 Kms or approx. i.e. 500 ml / 500Kms
  4. In city it was more like every 18-20 Hrs of driving in Mumbai traffic which sometimes meant I was topping up oil every 250 Kms.

There is pretty much nothing you can do except changing the engine. I would say just continue!
MileCruncher is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 11:13   #8

Quote:
Cheers!

P.S. The black rims & steering upgrades are on point. Having done the former, I'll do the latter on the next major overhaul of my old man (safari dicor). It does bring a midlife facelift of sorts along with keeping up with the contemporary styling trends besides upping ruggedness.
Hopefully you'd plan something for it post the 2 years. Would not like to
see this beauty destined to the vultures!
horseblood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 13:45   #9
BHPian

Awesome! Such beauties are a rare breed on our roads these days, if looked after well they can serve you faithfully for the next 5-7+ years without the maintenance costs being too crazy.

As for your oil related question, both the 1.4 and 1.8 TSI are notorious for this (latter is worse). For my Jetta with a 70-30 Highway:City driving mix I end up topping oil every 500-800 kilometres depending on the engine load and how I drive it. Since I have shifted my engine oil top up to the aforementioned pattern no issues with the engine oil light popping up, car engine is healthy and doesn’t feel fatigued unlike before.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 16:22   #10

That was a very nice writeup and the car looks absolutely stunning. Can you tell which headunit you bought for your car?
Old 2nd July 2024, 20:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
There is pretty much nothing you can do except changing the engine. I would say just continue!
The oil burning isue can be fixed by changing the pistons to an updated design. The issue happens due to a design flaw of the oil control ring on the original design.
Old 2nd July 2024, 21:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
The oil burning isue can be fixed by changing the pistons to an updated design. The issue happens due to a design flaw of the oil control ring on the original design.
Agreed, its a design flaw in the oil scraper ring. However changing the whole piston and piston rings along with cylinder sleeves is not exactly a cheap option. Neither can it be done at any FNG. So not exactly easy. And mind you its 12-13 year old car with another 2 year life span.

Hence sometimes its best to let it be!
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 23:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
the engine has been solid expect for one dreaded issue - the engine oil consumption I am still trying to figure out the rate at which it is consuming but still not able to. I did a full capacity replacement with fully synthetic and the rate seemed to have increased vs the standard one. If anyone has any tips and recommendations on this, kindly help
Many international forums have confirmed that B-12 Piston Soak reduces oil consumption drastically. Not sure what the best way would be to source B-12 in India or what it's alternatives are. But it's worth giving a shot before your next service.
dhruvdangi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 08:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Having lived with an used Laura TSI, my observations on oil consumption are as follows:
  1. Whenever the light came on, generally about 500ml of oil went in.
  2. I had the car from about 38k Kms to 74k Kms. Oil consumption increased after about 65K Kms.
  3. On long drives, I will have the light come in about 500 Kms or approx. i.e. 500 ml / 500Kms
  4. In city it was more like every 18-20 Hrs of driving in Mumbai traffic which sometimes meant I was topping up oil every 250 Kms.

Thank you for your inputs on this, so if I understand it right, the light comes on when 500ml of the oil is consumed?

I got the light on only once so far, which was during a very long all day drive to Manali, in city conditions I have never had the light come on which is strange and hence I am unable to really tell how much oil is being consumed. It depends if it is highway/ city driving (?) I am not sure

This time I have taken a dip stick measurement and the ODO reading, to see how much it consumes in the city
Old 3rd July 2024, 08:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseblood View Post
Cheers!

P.S. The black rims & steering upgrades are on point. Having done the former, I'll do the latter on the next major overhaul of my old man (safari dicor). It does bring a midlife facelift of sorts along with keeping up with the contemporary styling trends besides upping ruggedness.
Hopefully you'd plan something for it post the 2 years. Would not like to
see this beauty destined to the vultures!
Haaina? The steering wheel + de-chroming + upsized rims really did make the car look a couple of years younger and not as dates. I really like this. I will make sure I figure out a way to keep this running longer than 2026

Good luck for your upgrades on the Safari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks