Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2024, 09:48   #16

Re: My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Having lived with an used Laura TSI, my observations on oil consumption are as follows:
  1. Whenever the light came on, generally about 500ml of oil went in.
  2. I had the car from about 38k Kms to 74k Kms. Oil consumption increased after about 65K Kms.
  3. On long drives, I will have the light come in about 500 Kms or approx. i.e. 500 ml / 500Kms
  4. In city it was more like every 18-20 Hrs of driving in Mumbai traffic which sometimes meant I was topping up oil every 250 Kms.

There is pretty much nothing you can do except changing the engine. I would say just continue!
I am using Laura TSI petrol for last 13 years, the oil consumption starts increasing after around 45000Km / around 8 years of usage. Afterwards, we are topping it twice a year around 500ml each time - coming to an average of 1 liter per 5500Kms. This is almost consistent for the last 3 years with more highway driving as compared to city driving.
RoadBeliever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 16:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piiyush21 View Post
That was a very nice writeup and the car looks absolutely stunning. Can you tell which headunit you bought for your car?
Thank you I got one of the Chinese android tablets that's been floating around in the markets. There are a few variants and I got the second best one out there - spent 12K

Android Auto and Car play works wirelessly which is most of what I was looking for. Reliability is still questionable but I went for it anyway

There are many Indian businesses that import these from china, brand their own name and sell. The one I got was from a brand called 'Noxbeat' the person in charge was very helpful

Let me know if you need any help on this
Old 3rd July 2024, 16:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
The oil burning isue can be fixed by changing the pistons to an updated design. The issue happens due to a design flaw of the oil control ring on the original design.
Hmmmm I'm a little apprehensive of getting the engine opened up, hence I'm just letting this be as the oil consumption is not absolutely horrible

I'll wait to see if this get worse and take a call. Thank you for your inputs
Old 3rd July 2024, 16:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Awesome! Such beauties are a rare breed on our roads these days, if looked after well they can serve you faithfully for the next 5-7+ years without the maintenance costs being too crazy.

As for your oil related question, both the 1.4 and 1.8 TSI are notorious for this (latter is worse). For my Jetta with a 70-30 Highway:City driving mix I end up topping oil every 500-800 kilometres depending on the engine load and how I drive it. Since I have shifted my engine oil top up to the aforementioned pattern no issues with the engine oil light popping up, car engine is healthy and doesn’t feel fatigued unlike before.
Hi Sarkar, thanks for your inputs. What do you mean by 'after I shifted my engine'? Did you replace your entire engine?
Old 3rd July 2024, 23:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetinywanderer View Post
Hi Sarkar, thanks for your inputs. What do you mean by 'after I shifted my engine'? Did you replace your entire engine?
I think the context was in regards to engine oil. Not the engine
Old 4th July 2024, 09:45   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Congratulations

It’s a beast German car, happy to see it by the way you can add cruise control easily by swapping the left stalk to that of Superb ones and code it via VCDS. Also a VRS bumper, Spoiler and after market LED taillight can be added.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1 year ownership of buying an used Skoda Laura in 2024-aftermarkettaillightsforlaura.jpg  

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th July 2024 at 09:49.
Heracross_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 10:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracross_7 View Post
Congratulations

It’s a beast German car, happy to see it by the way you can add cruise control easily by swapping the left stalk to that of Superb ones and code it via VCDS. Also a VRS bumper, Spoiler and after market LED taillight can be added.
Hmmm that is interesting, not sure if I will find someone who can do the installation and programming. If you do know someone, kindly help guide

also, any links for the tail lamps you have shared?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks