Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2024, 18:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series

Background & Context:

Back in 2015, I was about two years into my professional career as a lawyer, and found myself in the fortunate position to finally afford a new car - a Polo GT TSI. I went ahead and bought one in May 2015. Little did I know that it would be my first and last brand-new car!

During 2019-2021, the last 3 years of my ownership experience with the Polo, I had gone about fixing the car's tired suspension and other flaws that needed addressing.

In my hopeless quest for more power, I also tried everything to extract more from that car, including various ECU tunes, downpipes, the ingenious charge-cooling solution and what have you! However, it eventually dawned on me that there is only so much power one could extract from an age-old 1.2 litre block with SOHC, ancient ignition technology and a turbo bolted onto the front of the engine.

The desire to own a fast car became rather overwhelming. It was around the same time that I received several offers to take the Polo off my hands, and one such offer was too good to pass up.

Approximately six years and 50,000 km from the date of purchase, I sold my Polo for a price I was content with, and thus began my search for a suitable replacement.

Here are some of the last photographs I had taken of the Polo the night before it was sold:

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-1.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-2.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-3.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-4.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-5.jpeg

Shortlisting replacements:

The budget for a replacement was around 15 lakh which included the price I received from the sale of my Polo. Not a bad place to start - or so I thought.

My crosshairs were firmly fixed on Robimahanta's beautiful blue BMW 328i (F30). However, it was out of my budget by quite a margin and unfortunately, I was forced to look elsewhere.

Having driven a friend's 2011 Laura 1.8 TSI on a few long drives, I was impressed. The Laura was therefore shortlisted.

I had also shortlisted the Polo GTI. However, it remained a contender only briefly, as most of the examples I came across were either crashed, modified poorly or way over my budget. The Polo GTI was unfortunately removed from contention.

For a brief moment, I had also considered buying a Fiat Abarth Punto. Since I had missed that bus when I looking for a new car in 2015 (it was launched a few months after I bought the Polo), I figured buying a used Abarth now would help me realise that dream. However, a quick drive in a friend's Abarth helped me understand that it would be a lateral upgrade from my Polo, at best, and it wouldn't be long before I crave another upgrade.

The Jetta 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI were also considered, but the 1.4 TSI was an average engine (same architecture as that of the 1.2 TSI in the Polo) and the diesel was well.. a diesel. *wears flamesuit*

Stop-gap solution:

I was back to square one, and thus began my hunt for a well maintained Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI.

A few vRS models did come by, but the owners were expecting an exorbitant 8-9 lakh for these high-mileage cars, and they did not look particularly 'clean' either.

After looking at multiple examples, I realised that I had to temper my expectations and readjust my approach. Most Lauras seemed to have had their fair share of issues. But that did not deter me from seriously considering one. The idea was to buy an example that may have been a bit un-loved, and nurse it back to its former glory, while also learning the hard truths about maintaining an old and tired Euro car. Let's call it a rite of passage, shall we?

The objective therefore, was to acquire an example that was not modified and needed a bit of TLC. This would allow me to cherry-pick the modifications I had planned for it, and also learn the nuances of the car during the restoration process.

Coincidentally, a fellow member on the forum had his Laura 1.8 TSI on sale - and it was in my favourite colour - black!

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-6.jpeg

The car had low miles (just around 40k or so) and seemed like the ideal example. I wasted no time in contacting him, and after getting the green from my then-trusted FNG, I decided to go ahead with the purchase.

The plan was to buy the car for a fraction of my 15-16 lakh budget and steadily spend the rest of the budget on restoring the car to its former glory. A few weeks after having sold my Polo, I bought the black Laura 1.8 TSI in question and went about the business of restoring and fettling it to my tastes.

It did not take long for me to realise that my efforts expended towards restoring the car were met with serious challenges that I had not accounted for, as I encountered one problem after another. Several mechanical parts started failing, and the engine refused to keep its oil behind its seals. The car's mechanical components began to show its age, with coolant lines developing cracks, and every single oil seal kept going on strike at some point during my time with the car.

The Laura spent more time in workshops getting fixed up than actually being driven on the road! At this point, I decided enough was enough, and went about the task of fixing everything once and for all. Those familiar with the 'sunk-cost fallacy' will understand where I was coming from.

Having said that, I do not regret my decision one bit, and I am positively glad to have bought the Laura and worked on it myself, as it gave me the education that I desperately needed. Without this experience, I would have been left at the mercy of predatory workshops and service centres, and would have continued to bleed money with no guarantees of positive resolutions in sight.

Finally, after a whole year of throwing money and parts at the car, it got to a point where I could comfortably cover longer distances without worrying that it would croak on me mid-way. Also, I managed to realise the perfect specification of my dream Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI and was finally happy!

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-7.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-47ebe334c7174e3993a5da36003ef2e6.jpeg

It was around that time when fellow moderator Vid6639 and I met up for a few late night drives.

Incidentally, Vid6639 made an uncharacteristically impulsive decision in 2021 to purchase Robimahanta's blue 328i (after a little prodding from moi, of course) - the very same car that I had to pass up due to budget constraints earlier in 2021.

Covid threw a spanner in the works for everyone, and whimsical drives out of the city had all but dried up. Looking to rekindle my love for driving, after recovering from Covid and dealing with a health scare, we decided to meet up on a late February night in 2022. During this drive, we swapped cars for a brief period and needless to say, I was blown away by the way the 328i drove. I knew at that point that I had to have it.

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-8.jpeg

Biting the bullet:

By 2023, I was in a better position financially. Any extra money from the sale of my Laura would further enhance that budget, so it was in my best interest to ensure that the Laura was in tip-top shape, if and when I do decide to let it go. As such, I was primed and ready to take Viddy’s 328i off his hands.

Knowing that it is a rare car, and well-maintained examples like this one don't come by often, I began chewing Vidyut's brains to sell his car to me ASAP. My persuasion did not work though, and I was left wondering what I should do next. I began looking at the classifieds and could not find a single clean 328i on sale.

I did come across one from Delhi after a few months of lurking in various classifieds sites on the internet - a beautiful blue example with B6 dampers and a Milltek catback exhaust system. The car belonged to a fellow enthusiast, with whom I managed to get in touch with for more details on the car in question. However, the car was registered in HR and the costs that I would need to incur in order to transfer it to KA made it prohibitively expensive. With a heavy heart, I had to reject that car.

Several months passed by, and there was no sign of a clean 328i on sale. Some looked haggard, while a few 330i (F30 LCI) models on sale were listed with extremely high prices exceeding 35 lakh in some cases. Some even had sketchy exhaust modifications and sub-par aftermarket exterior lighting.

Just when all hope was lost, I received a call from Vidyut on a Thursday morning asking me to check a link that he had just sent to me. It was a Team-BHP Classifieds link to a KA registered black 328i. According to the listing, the car had covered approximately 41,000 km and was a 2013 registered car. It looked super clean from the pictures and it appeared to have been listed by an individual seller and not a dealer. JACKPOT!

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-9.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-10.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-11.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-12.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-13.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-14.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-15.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-16.jpeg

I wasn't sure about the red leather interiors to be honest. It seemed a bit much for me. But I figured it was worth a look at the very least!

I phoned the seller and introduced myself, requested him to hold the car for me while I organize my work for the day, and immediately scheduled a meeting with him the next day. I insisted that Vidyut accompany me for the viewing / test drive and he obliged (probably in his best interest since he would no longer need to deal with my relentless persuasion to sell his car to me, if this works out ).

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-17.jpeg

Upon reaching the sellers location, we introduced ourselves to him and quickly began combing the car thoroughly.

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-18.jpeg

In person, the car looked clean on the outside, and the red leather interior did not seem like such an eye-sore, and I subconsciously made my peace with it. In fact, it seemed to us that the back seat wasn't used even once! The leather was devoid of any signs of ageing - no cracks or signs of wear. The car looked absolutely pristine on the inside - confirmed by the presence of the protective blue film on the door sill's kick-plates!

On the outside, the bodyline looked straight and the paint was in good nick. Except for a few long scratches across all four doors and the boot-lid, (that were deliberate acts of vandalism by some kids in the common basement parking area where the car was parked), the body and paint looked top notch!

The door seals and exterior rubber beadings were also looked at closely, as these tend to wear quickly on older cars, particularly on cars that did not enjoy the privilege of a covered car parking arrangement. But this car has been preserved beautifully and has almost always been parked in basements, away from the punishing sunlight and rain. Even the tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport 3 from 2017) seemed pretty soft and had plenty of tread left on them as the seller had only done about 10,000 km since changing the tyres back in 2017.

The car also had a few aftermarket items of the cosmetic kind, including faux carbon fibre (M-Style) mirror covers (which I was not particularly a fan of) and a black front grille, which I was okay with. The owner unfortunately did not have the stock mirror covers as the clips were broken during removal and installation of the faux carbon covers.

However, there were a few things that required to be addressed after examining the car closely and driving it for about 4-5 km, notably:

1) Failed gas struts that prop-up the bonnet.

2) A weird jerking sensation upon acceleration - an issue we chalked up to a potential ignition issue and thereafter confirmed by the seller, who offered to hand over a set of spark-plugs that he had purchased with the intention of servicing the car shortly.

3) Bobbing and bouncy suspension - an issue we diagnosed to be potentially failed struts all around - and thereafter confirmed by the seller.

4) Melting grab-handles on the driver and passenger side - a common issue in most BMWs of this vintage.

5) A distinct rattle from the turbo that appears to go away after about 20 minutes of driving once the oil is warmed up.

6) Mild play in the steering, accompanied by a slight tick when operated.

Other issues that we noted:

1) Squeaks and rattles in the cabin (typical BMW)
2) Age-old PPF that was starting to peel off at various places.
3) Long scratches on the doors and boot-lid, and two-three dings in hard-to-notice areas.
4) Pitted headlight covers that reveal the age of the car - most noticeable in dim-lighting conditions when the headlights are switched on.

We also went through the service history and apart from missing 2020 records (Covid), everything seemed to be in place. The car was taken care of periodically at Navnit (now KUN) and also at DM BMW.

The owner himself, Prateek, seemed like a stand-up guy. A mild-mannered and jovial gentleman who also happens to be a member on the forum, well-known in the OHC VTEC circles. He was completely transparent and answered all our questions honestly. He did not try to cover up the blemishes and drawbacks of the car, and let the car do most of the talking for him.

The green flags were flying high at this point. I got a good feeling about this car and the owner. It was a now-or-never moment and I decided to bite the bullet.

After negotiating a little and settling on a price that was acceptable to both of us, I transferred an advance to Prateek and requested him to take the listing off from the classifieds for now, while I arrange the balance amount in a week's time.

A week later, I visited Prateek as promised, transferred the balance amount, signed some paperwork, phoned my agent with requests to process the paperwork at the earliest, and drove off into the distance! Deal done!

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-19.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-7f456772bbcb482a810d1d33a8a27c75.jpeg

For personal reasons that are important to the both of us, I will not be disclosing the price that we eventually settled on. All I will say is that the price was well within my budget, with some additional wiggle-room for maintenance and modifications that I had planned.

I did pay a slight premium for the car, and considering the fact that it had low miles and the pristine condition that it was kept in, (not to mention the weird BLR used car market where the concept of depreciation is seemingly lost on most folks), I do not regret the slight premium that I had to shell out for it.

Oh, and I had also decided to retain the Laura in the garage and use both cars for the time being, coz why not? **grins**

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-20.jpeg
Customary rituals carried out to prevent future headaches **fingers crossed**

So, why the F30 328i?

Well, it’s a special car in the context of the Indian market. Globally, the car was quite popular and sold in large numbers, especially in the USA. It was a huge departure from the ham-fisted E90 3 Series that was sold up until 2012.

On our side of the shores, the F30 328i was special because it was launched at a time when diesel cars ruled the roost. Roughly 9/10 luxury-executive cars were sold with diesel engines. While Mercedes did have a few petrol models, and Audi too had introduced several interesting petrol cars such as the A4 3.2 V6 FSI with Quattro AWD, BMW had just discontinued the E90 330i powered by those creamy straight-six petrol engines, and decided to focus solely on diesel cars.

In order to cater to the small petrol-car buying market, BMW brought about 120 units (thereabouts) of the 328i to India as CBUs, to be sold along with the 320d that was never on short supply. The 328i was on sale only for a short run - between 2012-13 to 2014-15 - before BMW stopped importing them, and eventually replaced the variant altogether with the 330i in LCI form, and sold these in equally small numbers as well.

Chances are, you will rarely come across a 328i (F30) on Indian roads. And the chances of catching a black one with red interiors is even rarer.

The 328i was offered in four exterior colours - Alpine White, Imperial Blue, Melbourne Red and Sapphire Black.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there are fewer than 30 units of the 328i in this Sapphire Black Metallic exterior and Coral-Red Dakota-Leather interior specification. It’s a specification that I have grown to adore. Truth be told, I wasn’t entirely sure about the red leather especially in photographs, but in the flesh, it really does stand out in a good way. There is something inherently exotic about a black car with red interiors, the combination is lust-worthy if executed correctly. And BMW have managed to get it right!

It’s certainly better than the beige interiors that adorn the innards of many a 3.

Being a CBU, the 328i also came equipped with several goodies that were absent on later models, such as the heads-up-display - a feature in 2012-13 that was way ahead of its time!

The fact that it is a rare specification with an uncommon engine in the Indian market makes it a special car to own, in my books! As good a reason as any, to consider / shortlist a car.

Why not a new, or newer car?

When I am in the market for a car, my approach typically would be to set aside about 60% of the budget, or more, on maintenance and upgrades. This is how I went about my business with the Polo and the Laura as well.

With the budget I had at the time, I could have financed a new G20 330i. It would have been difficult, but I could have made it work. However, I would not have been left much to work in the aftermarket department. And where's the fun in that?

Also, this may sound like sour grapes, but I am not particularly a fan of the G20's interior, especially that all-digital cluster. The LCI model even more so, with multiple iPads tacked onto the dashboard.

The G20 is also a much larger car than the F30. While the F30's proportions are tight - almost shrink-wrapped around its arches - akin to that of an lean athlete wearing a perfectly tailored double-breasted suit, the G20 looks like a jacked body-builder wearing ill-fitting clothes and struggling to lay off the whey and creatine.

The only reason I would ever consider a G20 in the first place, is if I had the opportunity to buy one with the B58 lurking up front - only that would have convinced me to take the plunge, and those cars were well beyond my budget.

However, the budget did allow me to consider a F30 330i (LCI). But as I had mentioned earlier, some of them looked like they had a sketchy past and were priced a bit too high. I was not prepared to spend big money on a used F3 330i with taiwanese tail lights and muffler deletes executed by fly-by-night exhaust shops.

This did not leave me with too many options.

Is it really "good", though?

Now, for those who are familiar with the F30 328i, you'd be aware that it is powered by the notorious N20B20 4-cylinder petrol engine.

This engine was developed by BMW as a replacement for the N52/N53 naturally aspirated straight-six engines that power the E90 325i/330i. The idea was that two cylinders would be lobbed off and a turbocharger would be slapped on, with the intent to achieve improved fuel efficiency while also ensuring that performance is not compromised.

The idea was good on paper, but the execution was sub-par to some degree.

Early models that rolled off the factory between 2012-2013 were plagued with a plethora of mechanical issues, the most notable one being a faulty timing-chain system.

The plastic guides / rails on which the chain runs tend to crack and break overtime and especially on higher mileage cars and some as early as 70,000 km, causing two issues that could result in a terminal problem for the engine:

(1) broken plastic bits from the guides would get lodged in the oil pickup at the crankcase thereby starving the engine of oil causing permanent damage to the block and head, and

(2) the chain develops slack as a result of missing (broken) plastic guides causing the chain to slip throwing the timing completely out of whack, and in some cases - the valves get cozy with the top of the pistons rendering the engine totalled!

Class action law suits were initiated against BMW in North America and they were forced to recall some of the affected cars for this particular issue. BMW were also ordered to compensate some of the owners of these cars and promised to extend warranties.

Timing chain issue aside, the car is also known to leak oil from the valve cover seals. This could be detrimental if not caught early, as the hot oil tends to drip onto the alternator belt causing it to shear off and cause further damage to ancillary engine components.

BMW was aware of how unreliable the N20 motor was, and it did not take them long to discontinue it and subsequently replace it altogether with the more-reliable B48 4-cylinder petrol engine.

The stats are the same - longitudinally mounted 2.0 litre, 4 cylinder, single turbo, producing around 240-250 horsepower. But the architecture between the two engines is entirely different. Gone are the large charge + boost pipes and intercooler. The charged air is now cooled using water-to-air heat-exchangers. The block and head have been completely redesigned with stronger con-rods amongst other revisions, and there was further emphasis on overall efficiency - something that the N20 struggled with a touch.

More importantly, BMW resolved the timing chain issues permanently in the B48, while also making significant improvements to the timing chain system on later models (2014-15) powered by the N20 motor.

So, should I be worried?

Now, at this juncture, any reasonable person would assume that I am a glutton for punishment!

First, a VW Polo 1.2 TSI with the infamous DQ200 7-speed dry-clutch DSG gearbox that is prepared to go on strike at any given moment. Then, a Skoda Laura with the notoriously unreliable EA888.2 1.8 TSI engine that also has a faulty timing chain system, and never stops leaking oil or coolant (or both). And now, arguably the most unreliable modern BMW engine in an early version of this generation?

Well, you'd be right!

Add to the fact that I am incorrigible and need to finger any car I get my hands on, against the good advice of friend and foe! It is clear from the pattern that has emerged, that I am a glutton for punishment!

Thankfully, my car, at approximately 41,000 km, still has plenty of time before the timing chain becomes a serious problem. Also, there are certain tell-tale signs of timing chain failure such as a loud mechanical whine during acceleration or while revving the car when stationary that would alert me into taking immediate corrective action. These symptoms are yet to surface, and as such, I am good to go for the time being.

There is, however, a slight rattle emanating from the turbo, and I suspect that it could be the infamous wastegate flapper rattle that plagues most turbocharged BMWs of this generation. For the moment, it’s not a huge concern as the rattle settles down after about 20 minutes of driving / once the oil is sufficiently warmed up. It will become an issue if and when the MID starts throwing up drivetrain malfunction errors and boost gets compromised. We will have to cross that bridge when we get to it, but it’s not alarming as things stand today.

I intend on shortening the service intervals from the programmed 11,000 km to around 7,000 km in the interest of longevity and in-keeping with the established practices and procedures when it comes to maintaining older European cars that one may intend to fettle.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th July 2024 at 23:21.
suhaas307 is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 15:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series

So, what's next?

Well, now that we have established conclusively that I am a glutton for punishment, especially after developing a taste for it during my time with the Polo GT TSI, I shall proceed to detail below the aftermarket items that I have already installed and some that I wish to install in the coming months.

However, before I do that, I will go about in detail the various big-ticket maintenance items that will have to be undertaken either simultaneously or in due course.

Big ticket maintenance work:
  1. Timing chain overhaul: My car, being a 2012 MFD example, falls smack-bang in the group of cars potentially affected by faulty timing chain guides. As mentioned in my earlier post, the plastic guides / rails on which the chain runs tend to crack and break overtime and especially on higher mileage cars and some as early as 70,000 km, causing issues that could result in a terminal problem for the engine.
    Solution: The obvious one would be to overhaul the timing chain, i.e. replace all components with new (updated) items that were used in examples manufactured from 2015 onwards. BMW has unofficially quoted an eye-watering 1.8 lakh to undertake the work, citing that it's an extremely labour intensive job that may require an engine-out service procedure to accomplish. FNGs will probably undertake such a job for a fraction of the cost, but I am on the fence about it. In any case, my car is closing in on 50,000 km as I type this, and is not displaying any symptoms of a failing timing chain. Therefore, I will hold out on this job for the time being.
  2. Transmission oil + pan replacement: Although the manual clearly says that the transmission oil is sealed for life, common sense dictates that nothing is permanent, much less a consumable like oil.
    Solution: Being a 11-12 year old car, it would be prudent to change the oil as soon as possible, in order to ensure smooth functioning and longevity of the transmission. I haven't asked BMW for a quote yet, but I'd imagine it would be just as exorbitant as the timing chain overhaul quote. Changing the transmission oil + pan is perhaps not as sensitive a job as overhauling the timing chain and therefore, I am open to availing the services of a competent FNG to get the job done. The target is complete this job some time this year.
  3. Rattle from turbo wastegate: As mentioned previously, there is a slight rattle emanating from the turbo, and I suspect that it could be the infamous wastegate flapper rattle that plagues most turbocharged BMWs of this generation. For the moment, it’s not a huge concern as the rattle settles down after about 20 minutes of driving and once the oil is sufficiently warmed up. It will become an issue if and when the MID starts throwing up drivetrain malfunction errors and boost gets compromised.
    Solution: There are four ways we can approach this issue, if and when the time comes to address it: (a) BMW's solution is to replace the entire turbo along with the wastegate as they don't generally replace a single specific component. This will cost big $$$, (b) get a competent FNG to replace just the wastegate and flapper, (c) replace the entire turbo unit with a MHI (Mitsubishi) hybrid turbo and new wastegate for MOO POWAAH BABEH, and (d) find someone with a big brain who is willing to get their hands dirty, and get them to employ jugaad methods to replace the faulty flapper using a turbo wastegate repair kit that costs all of $20 dollars. I am leaning towards (b) and if that does not work out, I will do Hail-Mary and choose option (c).
  4. Steering rack repair: Yes, this is a common issue that seems to effect most BMWs of this generation. The characteristic play that develops over time in the steering, accompanied by a little tick as you operate the steering wheel.
    Solution: Thankfully, there is a cheap fix for this - and it is one that is endorsed by BMW. A steering-rack bush/damper repair kit. With the right tool, one could have the faulty bush/damper replaced with a new one and the steering would perform as good as new!
  5. New tyres: Amazingly, the car is still running on 2017 Michelin Pilot Sport 3 rubber. Plenty of tread left on it - about 15,000-20,000 easily if I drive it decently. Quite soft as well. Lots of life left in it. But I do not intend to push my luck..
    Solution: Shred the tyres after completing one year with moi, and drive straight to Madhus. Equivalent replacements will be approximately Rs. 1,00,000 (gulp!).
  6. Jerky power delivery upon in-gear acceleration: We have chalked this down to an ignition issue, in all probability.
    Solution: Replace spark-plugs with the new ones supplied by the previous owner and hope that it works! *fingers crossed*
  7. Bobbing suspension: We have chalked this down to failed dampers/struts. An inspection at the FNG should clear it up for us.
    Solution: Will get the suspension thoroughly inspected and order replacement items as necessary.

Minor maintenance work:

1) Bonnet strut replacement: Easy fix.
2) Melting door handles: Easy fix - replacement items are available on Amazon for about Rs. 8000 for a set of 4 door handles.
3) Rattles and squeaks in the cabin: Most BMWs of this generation are plagued by annoying squeaks and rattles in the cabin. This will require a lot of time spent in identifying the specific squeak and rattle and may necessitate a little bit of trial and error to accomplish.

The goal was to take the car to a trusted FNG and have all the issues sorted as and when required, especially the suspension and brakes as they are absolutely critical to the driving experience.

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-c2f86a0fb842457f92ca5c5448d0fade.jpeg

An inspection at Carmed revealed that the front left strut was leaking, while the right strut had become extremely weak. The rear dampers were also well beyond their use-by date. Surprisingly, the other suspension components such as the control arms, tie-rods, end-links and ball joints appeared to be in decent shape and did not warrant a replacement.

During the inspection, the technicians also pointed out that all four rotors had developed a severe step and are required to be replaced at the earliest.

Since these issues were critical, I wasted no time in finding replacement items. GTP Otomotive, a New Delhi based parts supplier, helped source:

- Bilstein B4 dampers (front and rear): INR40,000
- Febi mounts and dust cover kits: INR20,000
- Zimmerman rotors (front): INR14,000
- Febi rotors (rear): INR12,000
- EBC Ultimax pads (front): INR4000
- EBC Ultimax pads (rear): INR3000

While these items were on their way to Bangalore, the technicians replaced the old spark plugs with the new ones supplied to me by the previous owner. it was discovered that the plugs were never replaced at any point - essentially the car was running on the same plugs for the last 12 years since it left the factory!

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-49129e7964d84d23aeb1beb0eceac25b.jpeg
The bonnet strut was also replaced and no longer needed muscle, or a makeshift pipe to keep it propped up, thankfully!

A quick test drive, post plug replacement, established that the jerky power delivery was indeed due to 11 year old spark-plugs and now, the car was firing on all cylinders but struggling for traction thanks to the worn suspension.

The two 328s during our short test-run:
Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-13089cff7b024c28842fb6c0e723d503.jpeg

Making it my own:

Long before I acquired this car, I had harboured the desire to turn the 328i Sport Line into my very own M-Sport BMW. This involved purchasing and installing an authentic M Sport body kit (front bumper, side skirts and a rear bumper) or at least a first copy of the same kit. Complementing the kit would be a set of 18" BBS SR wheels or 18" Apex Racing wheels - nothing else would do.

The costs involved in executing this idea was not a deterrent, despite it being in the range of Rs. 3-4 lakh including paintwork. But it did persuade me to take a step back and assess my options. I began to admire the clean and simple lines of the Sport Line bumper, and I absolutely fell in love with the simple yet classy OEM 5-spoke wheels - the concavity of which remains unmatched by any OEM BMW wheel on a 3-Series to this date! The machined / diamond-cut finish of the wheel's face adds another layer of class to the design.

And thus, my approach towards modifying this car quickly changed from one that's focused on cosmetic upgrades, to one that retains its understated exterior styling but gains a whole lot of spice ‘underneath’.

You may have noticed from the above pictures, that the car now wears a different front grille - an M3-style double-slat grille - which is something I did want to get even before I bought the car!

Once I made my peace with not getting the M-Sport kit, I decided to limit the cosmetic changes to only a few minor things such as this M3-style grille, replacing the faux carbon ORVM caps with gloss black items, and maybe get a subtle lip spoiler on the boot at a later stage. A new paint job that rectifies all the blemishes while also doing away with the peeling PPF and applying a fresh one is also an incredibly tempting proposition I must admit, as those vandalism scratches are an absolute eye-sore every time I see it.

And thus, the decision was taken to divert all my financial resources away from major cosmetic and aesthetic modifications, and channel it towards functional upgrades that would result in incremental improvements to the car's driving characteristics and reliability. The objective remains clear - make this car feel as close to an entry level sports car as possible. Black on red - check! RWD - check! An engine that's a bit spicier than usual, accompanied by a fruity exhaust note - almost there!

With the help of Vid6639 (who also indulged in all these items at my instance) I placed an order for the following items, and the reasoning for which are also explained below. Prices do not include customs and shipping which were extra - obviously!

1) FTP Charge Pipe + Boost pipe kit: around $333.
Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-0ab67a1301104d8fa27600b6d81c90b0.jpeg
Why?

The stock charge+boost pipes are made of brittle plastic and tend to crack / break with age, and especially after repeated heat cycles. Tuned cars in particular reportedly suffer from blown charge pipes immediately after receiving simple flash tunes. The FTP Charge and Boost pipes are made of aluminium and offer far greater resistance to boost-pressures. Since I plan on tuning the car at some point, these parts were a no-brainer.

2) Wagner Evo1 Intercooler: $490.
Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-685660d81c1740eabcc0d102e4c1039e.jpeg
Why?

The stock intercooler is shockingly small for the sort of power this car makes. It is famously deemed to be woefully inadequate even in near-perfect European climatic conditions. Imagine how inadequate it would be on a car that is driven in hot tropical conditions! Further, the plastic end tanks are known to be prone to cracking and breaking over time resulting in boost-leaks. Given the circumstances, the stock intercooler is simply not up to the job and may result in ‘knock’ even on stock software, and the ECU may retard ignition timing to preserve the engine if IATs are too high.

The Wagner IC is a much bigger unit compared to the stock IC, with a larger surface area and bigger core. It is also stepped (as can be seen from the photograph above) and its end-tanks are made of cast-aluminium. A far superior product when compared to the factory intercooler. This should ensure consistent boost when ambient temperatures climb and prevent the ECU from pulling ignition timing. It's relevant to point out that this is the entry-level intercooler from Wagner and is rated to around 400 horsepower. There are larger intercoolers made by Wagner that are rated to 500-600-700 horsepower, but my car will probably never see anything more than 300, let alone 400 horsepower. Any larger and it would have been complete overkill and maybe even detrimental to performance.

3) MST Turbo Inlet: £200 (including VAT).
Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-5d89542aadf7404280f845a12faf89d3.jpeg
Why?

The stock turbo inlet pipe, just like the charge/boost pipes and IC end tanks, is also made of brittle plastic and is prone to cracking over time. MST's turbo-inlet comes in two parts - a billet aluminium pipe that pairs with a polyester-silicone tube - that replaces the one-piece stock plastic inlet pipe. Again - a no-brainer. A big bonus is that MST's turbo inlet releases some previously muffled turbo noises! Now who wouldn’t love that?

4) Active Autowerke axleback exhaust: $670.
Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-f4f8f0398bfc4cb48a7f258bd709c8de.jpeg
Why?

Well, this one was purely for shits and giggles!

As nice as the stock muffler is, with its factory valve controller (that does very little except release burbles on the over-run), it lacked the drama that I was after.

Initially, I was extremely keen on getting the M Performance axleback exhaust (MPE) which utilises the stock factory valve controller. The MPE was a nobrainer honestly, as it is an exhaust system that was co-developed with Akrapovic and sold by BMW as an optional extra. However, this exhaust was simply not available anywhere. Other aftermarket options included full catback exhaust systems that were north of 2 lakh (landed) and I was not prepared to spend so much money on an exhaust system. Therefore, I had to settle for the Active Autowerke axleback exhaust - which happens to be the cheapest factory-developed system at just $670. More on this, later..

Pending the arrival of the above parts, I received the GTP Otomotive parcels containing the 4 struts, kits, mounts and other ancillaries, including 4 new rotors and 4 brake pads. I wasted no time and high-tailed it to Carmed for immediate installation.

The technicians took a day to install the new struts and the new brakes. After a thorough brake bleeding procedure, I was ready to drive it back home.

Timing was on our side though, as the aftermarket parts from overseas landed at my door-step and I immediately arranged for the parts to be trucked to Carmed for installation.

A day later and after a round of spit and polish courtesy the good folks at Carmed, the 328i was ready:

I rounded up the boys (Vid6639 and Chetan Rao) for a quick 200 km round-trip drive out of the city:

The downlow:

The 328i, fresh from the FNG with its new hardware, was ready to impress. And impress, it did! Well, to some extent!

The new struts were a game-changer and a huge departure from the old worn struts.

On the expressway, the damping was back to how it should be and the rebound - controlled! The car was gliding effortlessly over undulations without feeling unsettled and jittery as it did previously.

On the back-roads, the suspension almost 'breathed' with the road surface. The steering felt sharper and more responsive, and the whole car just seemed so much happier!

The brakes left a little to be desired, if I am honest. The brakes just don't feel as sharp as they used to. On most occasions, the new brakes do their job of stopping the car. However, while hustling the car on the open road, the new brakes give me very little confidence, and I now find myself braking far too early for my liking.

I am told that EBC Ultimax pads are not the best out there and I should have gone for replacement ATE pads instead.

The Active Autowerke exhaust system did make its presence felt immediately. There was now a noticeable bassy exhaust note in the cabin and cracking the window open would allow you to hear it more clearly. However, the exhaust note was not too loud and certainly not obnoxious enough for the authorities to take notice. I liked it, despite the added bass. I suspect any further modifications to the exhaust, i.e. a catless/catted downpipe would make it sound like an absolute rowdy and maybe a touch too loud for everyday driving!

The MST turbo inlet also made its presence felt, albeit mildly. You can now hear some pretty cool turbo whooshes and noises, similar to what you'd hear from a car with an aftermarket conical intake or a blow-off valve but not as obvious or apparent.

The other aftermarket parts - charge-boost pipe kit, intercooler made no perceptible difference to the driving experience, as expected. Logging the car would reveal the results. However, I am not about the numbers at all, and as long as the car performs securely and give me that fizzing sensation in the pit of my stomach, I am a happy camper!

The temptress with its open invitation:

Parting shot after a thoroughly enjoyable hoon-sesh:
Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-1d3038fb62bf48d482efd85de1ad61a9.jpeg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th June 2024 at 10:00.
suhaas307 is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 01:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

What's it like, 3 months later?

Lots has been said about my 328i - my thoughts and ideas on what my ideal 328i would look like, the minor issues I have had to deal with and the more serious concerns that I intend to address in due course.

But very little has been said about what the car is like to drive, besides the short post that captures my experience with it, post suspension and brake updates.

Now, I am not going to bore you folks with a review of the car. That has already been done 12 years ago by Moralfibre and Akshay1234. I sure as hell can't match iliketurtle's eloquence and captivating story-telling.

What I will do though, is state as plainly as I can, what this car feels like to drive, from the perspective of a person who has had limited experience behind the wheel of a rear-wheel-drive car.

In two-words: Game changing!

In all honesty, owning and driving a RWD car had made me more than a touch nervous. The last thing I wanted to do was end up in the YouTube bloopers reel while leaving a Cars & Coffee meet. I exercised extreme caution while driving the car in the city - always ensured that all 4 wheels pointed in the same direction before booting the throttle. The fact that the car felt extremely powerful, perhaps overwhelmingly so in city limits, further amplified the nervousness.

Coming from several FWD cars from the VAG stable, this RWD 328i was a different kettle of fish, as I learned 3 months into ownership.

The first thing that strikes you is just how light the front axle feels through the steering wheel. The sensation of the being pushed ahead and not pulled forward also became increasingly apparent.

While the 328i feels sharp, light off its feet, and eager to change direction, the Polo, and more noticeably the Laura, felt heavy, cumbersome and even laborious to manoeuver in comparison. This is something that I picked up on only after getting used to the 328i. I never realised just how lazy the Laura in particular felt, while switching lanes on the highway or while attempting to hold onto my lane on a windy B Road full of switchbacks.

The steerings on these FWD cars are always fighting you, turning the car in the direction you demand from it in an almost reluctant fashion. The 328i has no such qualms, as it simply turns on command! It feels extremely chuck-able, maybe even borderline twitchy, and always ready to jump into the next lane on a moment’s notice. The size and weight of this thing are suddenly just numbers with nothing tangible to relate to, as the car simply shrinks around you. The Laura and Octavia in comparison feel like barges and seemingly require 3 business days to get on board with the idea of being hustled. The weight of the cars are felt. The weight transfer from back to front and vice versa are also clearly perceivable. The roll, pitch and yaw are amplified tremendously. The inherent lack of balance becomes ever so clear.

While my confidence grew, it still wasn't where it should have been. This was quickly addressed on one particular drive out of the city, when a bunch of us decided to indulge in our hill-climb fantasies.

We organised a drive to Penukonda Fort, a location that was obscure for a large part of last year before it became a viral sensation on social media. Situated in the AP side of the border in a small town called Penukonda, the main attraction was supposed to be a Fort at the top of a hill located within the town's jurisdiction.

The main attraction for us, however, was the seemingly endless ribbon of freshly laid, and near-impeccable tarmac that takes you up to the Fort and offers spectacular views of the horizon:

We began assembling at the Toll Plaza right at the Airport exit:

After a quick pitstop at this picturesque watering hole on the main highway...

...where we also spotted this gorgeous Lamborghini Gallardo...

...we were on course to Penukonda.

The first corner gave me a taste of what's in store for us, as the car simply held its line beautifully despite having dialled in a fair amount of throttle. By the time I was at the fourth corner, I had the car's tail stepping out without even trying! The car felt absolutely effortless while negotiating these tight corners, to a point where I felt like I was being coaxed by the car into taking the turns more aggressively.

Breaking traction momentarily and bringing it back in line has never felt more effortless in any car I have owned and driven! It's the adjustability and the playfulness of the car that gave me the confidence to push it even harder.

While the Laura and Polo would have felt difficult to manage at their limits of adhesion, ready to break traction and spit you into uncontrollable understeer like a Great Dane that violently tugs onto its leash in the wrong direction without warning, this car feels extremely playful and predictable, like a little puppy jumping around you and waiting on your next command.

After a couple of runs up the hill, both Ajmat and Vid6639 had a go in my car and returned with massive toothy grins plastered across their respective faces!

I shall now let photographs do the rest:

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-6.1.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-6.2.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-16.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-17.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-18.jpeg

A picture of the Fort at the top (not that anyone cared, really):

A few parting shots:
Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-19.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-20.jpeg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th June 2024 at 09:59.
suhaas307 is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 10:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out of the Assembly Line.

Lovely write-up Suhaas! Thank you for sharing
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 13:04   #5
BHPian

Super write-up. Your car looks great, inside and out considering its age and the burble with the new exhaust at idle is perfect.

Wishing you many trouble free kms with the Bimmer

PS: I thought the Polo with the mods was a fun car to drive
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 18:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

MOOO POWAHH BABEH

As soon as I bought the 328i in September, I had decided that I would tune it at some point, preferably as soon as the suspension and brakes were sorted. And thus, the hunt began for a suitable tune for the car.

Initially, I had considered getting the Burger Motorsport JB4 tuning box - a simple plug and play installation that would take all of 15 minutes in my basement.

However, consuming copious volumes of information on the internet opened up my eyes to the benefits as well as the drawbacks of tuning boxes like the JB4.

In conclusion - it's not a bad option especially if the ECU is locked and the desire for more power is insatiable. But these cars have had their ECUs unlocked for several years now, and when flash tunes are easily available in the market today, that don't simply trick the ECU into making more power, a traditional remap is the best option.

GT Tunerz was my first choice for a remap. I spoke to the Mumbai, Hyderabad and Delhi dealers about it, but eventually decided to purchase a BootMod3 licence that gives me access to literally all OTS (off the shelf) tunes on the platform. I would also get an E-Net cable along with the package, essentially allowing me to tune the car myself using a laptop or a phone!

My decision was made easier when Extreme Power House (an aftermarket parts specialist through whom I secured the charge pipes, boost pipe, intercooler and axle-back exhaust) and ProTuningFreaks - the makers of BM3 - listed the licence and complete OTS bundle with a sweet discount as part of their Black Friday sale.

I managed to snag the BM3 Licence and the complete OTS bundle of unlimited tunes, along with an E-Net cable and an iPhone adapter for a song and a half! Just $500 (USD) = under INR 42,000! Unlimited tunes, toggles to control hardware like the exhaust valve and radiator fan, cable, etc. all for just 42k?

However, I decided to postpone tuning the car for a little while as I was still getting accustomed to the car's stock power, which can be quite overwhelming on city roads, and more than enough for the highways and B-roads.

Not long after purchasing the BM3 licence, I high-tailed it to Speedworks - a tuning and dyno outfit located near the Airport, as they would give me the opportunity to run the car on the dyno and get baseline figures before applying the tune.

After applying the OTS Stage 1 (91 RON) tune, we performed another dyno-run to see the changes the tune has brought to the table - a mistake that we realised only after heading home later that evening.

The charts did not indicate a significant jump in horsepower, or any jump at all! The reason for this is our failure in not giving the ECU any real-world driving time for the purpose of adaptation / calibration.

By the time I got home that evening, my butt-dyno delivered a pretty good reading of the power bump. I wouldn't call it a significant bump, but the car did feel a whole lot more responsive especially in 2nd gear. A quick look at the dyno-chart would indicate that the power and torque delivery have been smoothened out, making the car feel a whole lot more tractable.

I will be heading back to Speedworks some time this year to apply a Stage 2 tune and the gearbox tune as well (after the GB oil and pan job is done, of course!).

Less is more - the devil is in the details

I did mention earlier that I would not be executing significant cosmetic modifications, at least for the time being.

But I am a sucker for finer details and subtle touches that make this car my own.

Scouring the classifieds regularly helped me identify a few goodies that I wished to have on my car. I spoke to the seller and after much back-and-forth, a parcel containing the following items was shipped to me from the seller's location in Gurgaon:

The parcel contained (a) an original BMW fire extinguisher with the appropriate mounting bracket and hardware, (b) an OEM passenger footwell net with the necessary hardware kit for installation, and (c) an original BMW jack kit along with a warning reflector.

The fire extinguisher and mounting bracket was not going to be a simple DIY job, as I needed to un-bolt the passenger seat in order to access the mounting points.

With the help of technicians at Carmed, we managed to tackle this job fairly easily.

Also managed to get a bunch of other subtle and interesting items like:

...these aluminium pedals,

...a red start-stop switch,

...these rather cheap-ish looking puddle lights for all doors (they do look much better in person, I must admit),

...replacement black mirror caps (couldn't find OEM covers for some reason),

...and these standard centre-caps for the wheels (the existing ones have become pretty cruddy - however I have decided to retain the cruddy ones and hold onto the new caps for a little while longer before swapping them out)

Let's make some noise, again?

As I'd mentioned earlier, I was fairly satisfied with the Active Autowerke axle-back exhaust. While it wasn't my first option, it did serve the purpose of adding much needed drama to the driving experience.

Patience is a virtue, as they say... but I had none of it when I was placing orders on Extreme Power House. Having been told that my first option for an exhaust - the M Performance Exhaust (an axle back unit that BMW sells as an optional extra) - was not available despite paying an advance for it, I decided that I simply could not wait and started scouring the interwebs for a suitable exhaust system.

There were several brands that offered catback exhausts with valve controllers, for princely sums exceeding 2.5 lakh. One particular exhaust by Frequency Intelligent exhaust systems retailed at an eye-watering 4 lakh!

Tempering my expectations, I continued to look for a well-made exhaust that was within my budget, and that is when I found Active Autowerke's axle-back system, retailing at just $670!

Side bar:

For those who aren't in the know, Active Autowerke is a reputable exhaust manufacturer based in the USA, and are popularly known for pioneering the equal-length mid-pipes meant to to be used on the previous generation BMW M3, M4 and the M2.

If I had one of these cars, it would be a no-brainer to get me one of these! Why? Well, the M2/M3/M4 were great cars with fantastic engines, but exhaust notes were not very straight-six-ey from factory. This was primarily due to the unequal lengths of the exhaust pipes after the cat-con. Even the best exhausts from then most decorated exhaust companies like Akrapovic failed to improve the drab exhaust note. In fact, these exhausts would often amplify the unpleasant note, making these upgrades redundant in my books.

And that's when Active Autowerke came up with a solution - equal-length mid-pipes - that would ultimately transform the exhaust note, making it sound almost like a 2JZ from the old Supra! If there was any exhaust that truly transforms exhaust notes, it would be Active Autowerke's mid-pipes for the M2/M3/M4. I would in fact leave the back box stock and simply bolt on a pair of resonated equal-length mid-pipes from AA.

But here I am. No M2/M3/M4, but a base-model 3-Series with a 4-cylinder motor, and I had to make do with what was available.

Just when I took delivery of the Active Autowerke axle-back exhaust, I was informed by GTPO that the M Performance Exhaust has become available and I could have it if I wanted!

Since I had already paid an advance for it, I decided to go ahead with it.

Reasons for MPE:
  • Slightly quieter exhaust note when compared to the Active Autowerke - making it the ideal axle-back system to pair with a catted/catless downpipe.
  • Utilises the factory valve controller that I can operate using the Sport-Comfort-Eco toggle next to the gear-lever.

A month or so later, the MPE arrived:

...and I had it swapped out immediately:

Factory valve controller:

So, Am I happy with this swap? Well, yes, and no!

Yes, because the MPE is a pretty nice system and I like that it has its own factory valve that can quieten it down especially when I decide to go catless or sport-cat. Also, it is much quieter than I expected it to be. A catted downpipe should help with that!

No.. because I am now down 2.5 lakh instead of just 1-ish, and I have one stock exhaust lying in the store room, one MPE on the car, and an expensive wall-art installation:

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-13.1.jpeg

Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series-13.2.jpeg

Admittedly, it is a gorgeous looking muffler, and if I don't find any buyers for it despite the low-price I expect, I really don't mind hanging it up on my wall!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th June 2024 at 18:16.
suhaas307 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 10:29   #7
BHPian

Very nice writeup suhaas, was this the car featured on TDH? Owning a pristine 7 year old KTM, I can surely say, some enthusiasts crave for this "pain" to endure the drama! :-D

As I discovered during my car search as well as sale experience, mods are something the OLX or used car market does not give a damn for, except some enthusiasts who know about its value or very functional ones. The way in which these mods are executed in general remains sketchy in most cases (exhaust, tunes, remaps). You may ask Code6 to sell it for you - thats the only way to get rid of this, albeit 30-40% off the original price.
100Kmphormore is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 15:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on scoring a dream spec BMW, the timing belt issue has two sides to it, it's an expensive engine out job as the asc mentioned, however, it mostly affects leased cars.

The leased cars overseas were on a long schedule oil change, they ran 20k miles before their first oil change, a 3 year 30k mile lease meant oil changes only once in two years and they were turned in when lease expired. These cars are the ones most affected, however there's a recall and changed design for the tensioner and plastic guides, so you're good for a while at least.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 15:47   #9

Thanks for with write up, Suhaas. Very thorough, detailed and indeed some stunning pictures of a true gem of a car. I too own a 2013 BMW 328i which has now done about 86,000 kms. I am concerned about the timing chain issue and unable to get reliable, quality advice from local FNGs in Delhi. You mention some tell-tale signs in your post, could you elaborate on that? I am not sure what to look out for to understand if I the car is about to face this issue, which I take from your post can be terminal for the car.

Even though my car is now 11 years old, if it runs well, I intend to keep it for the duration of its life (15 years in Delhi). So I would appreciate any help. Thank you!
UD_328i is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 17:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Super write-up. Your car looks great, inside and out considering its age and the burble with the new exhaust at idle is perfect.

Wishing you many trouble free kms with the Bimmer

PS: I thought the Polo with the mods was a fun car to drive
Thank you for the kind words, keroo!

Yes, the Polo was fun. But there is something about the way BMWs generally are set up and dialled in that sets them apart from the rest of the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Very nice writeup suhaas, was this the car featured on TDH? Owning a pristine 7 year old KTM, I can surely say, some enthusiasts crave for this "pain" to endure the drama! :-D

As I discovered during my car search as well as sale experience, mods are something the OLX or used car market does not give a damn for, except some enthusiasts who know about its value or very functional ones. The way in which these mods are executed in general remains sketchy in most cases (exhaust, tunes, remaps). You may ask Code6 to sell it for you - thats the only way to get rid of this, albeit 30-40% off the original price.
Thank you! Yes, this car was featured on TDH. And as I’d mentioned, I’m a glutton for punishment.

OLX is simply not the place to list a car with tasteful modifications, as the general car buying crowd wouldn’t be the target audience for something like this. One would have far better luck with our own Team BHP Classifieds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Congratulations on scoring a dream spec BMW, the timing belt issue has two sides to it, it's an expensive engine out job as the asc mentioned, however, it mostly affects leased cars.

The leased cars overseas were on a long schedule oil change, they ran 20k miles before their first oil change, a 3 year 30k mile lease meant oil changes only once in two years and they were turned in when lease expired. These cars are the ones most affected, however there's a recall and changed design for the tensioner and plastic guides, so you're good for a while at least.
Thank you, Avira, for the kind words! I did get lucky with this car despite the expenses incurred by me - most of which are self-inflicted anyway!

You’re right about the timing chain issue. I shouldn’t be too worried at this stage, but it’s still something I shouldn’t ignore. Timely action is of the essence (pun not intended) and I will definitely cross that bridge when I get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD_328i View Post
Thanks for with write up, Suhaas. Very thorough, detailed and indeed some stunning pictures of a true gem of a car. I too own a 2013 BMW 328i which has now done about 86,000 kms. I am concerned about the timing chain issue and unable to get reliable, quality advice from local FNGs in Delhi. You mention some tell-tale signs in your post, could you elaborate on that? I am not sure what to look out for to understand if I the car is about to face this issue, which I take from your post can be terminal for the car.

Even though my car is now 11 years old, if it runs well, I intend to keep it for the duration of its life (15 years in Delhi). So I would appreciate any help. Thank you!
Thank you for the kind words!

If you haven’t already explored FNG options, I would suggest giving GT TUNERZ / Upshift Autos a try. I’ve heard good things about them.

Some of the tell-tale signs of a failing timing chain system would be:

1) A loud-ish mechanical whine emanating from the engine (not to be confused with the whine from the turbo which is usually audible post 3000-4000 RPM.) This whine can be heard on start up, and if it persists for longer than 10-15 minutes, and is also audible when you rev the car either when stationary or when on the move, it’s definitely a cause for concern.

2) An uncharacteristically loud and clattery engine note, similar to that of a diesel engine, is also a sign that the timing chain is on its way out. You may already know that this engine is generally loud and noisy, regardless of the timing issue. Which is why the clatter has to be uncharacteristically loud and intrusive.

3) loss of performance is also an indication of failing timing chain.

86,000 km on the odo is a fair amount of miles on the car. I would suggest going to GT TUNERZ for a professional consultation and diagnosis. You could also speak to Viraat Passi (Viraat’s Auyomotive Garage) for a more personalised service experience. I believe Viraat is also a member on the forum. You could reach out to him via Instagram, it’s a public account. Speaking to BMW would also be a good idea.

It would also be wise to shorten the service intervals to 5000-7000 km, and use high quality lubrication.

I know some people with 328s that have had the timing chain overhauled on their cars. They have reported that the clatter and engine noise has reduced significantly after the overhaul, and the engines run a whole lot smoother after the work is done.

All the best to you, and let us know how it goes!
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 22:33   #11

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Congrats Suhaas for the amazing ride. The spec is absolutely exotic, red on black is perfect.

This car looks stunning in the stock form, looks sporty, classy, understated.
yshvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 09:14   #12
BHPian

Wow, what a post. Congratulations on your best decision, its too good when you get so much fun in so less amount of money. OLD BMWs are really the real BMWs, new ones seems less in looks as well as driving dynamics, with each passing year they are taking out the spirit of it making Japanese models a good contender. Your Polo was such a beauty and this BMW is the right replacement of her, a true upgrade. Hats off ����
N4Revv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 14:38   #13

Re: Trials and tribulations with my 328i | My Pre-Owned BMW F30 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Thank you for the kind words!

If you haven’t already explored FNG options, I would suggest giving GT TUNERZ / Upshift Autos a try. I’ve heard good things about them.

Some of the tell-tale signs of a failing timing chain system would be:

1) A loud-ish mechanical whine emanating from the engine (not to be confused with the whine from the turbo which is usually audible post 3000-4000 RPM.) This whine can be heard on start up, and if it persists for longer than 10-15 minutes, and is also audible when you rev the car either when stationary or when on the move, it’s definitely a cause for concern.

2) An uncharacteristically loud and clattery engine note, similar to that of a diesel engine, is also a sign that the timing chain is on its way out. You may already know that this engine is generally loud and noisy, regardless of the timing issue. Which is why the clatter has to be uncharacteristically loud and intrusive.

3) loss of performance is also an indication of failing timing chain.

86,000 km on the odo is a fair amount of miles on the car. I would suggest going to GT TUNERZ for a professional consultation and diagnosis. You could also speak to Viraat Passi (Viraat’s Auyomotive Garage) for a more personalised service experience. I believe Viraat is also a member on the forum. You could reach out to him via Instagram, it’s a public account. Speaking to BMW would also be a good idea.

It would also be wise to shorten the service intervals to 5000-7000 km, and use high quality lubrication.

I know some people with 328s that have had the timing chain overhauled on their cars. They have reported that the clatter and engine noise has reduced significantly after the overhaul, and the engines run a whole lot smoother after the work is done.

All the best to you, and let us know how it goes!
Thank you, Suhaas. This is very helpful.
UD_328i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 19:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So, what's next?

GTP Otomotive parcels containing the 4 struts, kits, mounts and other ancillaries, including 4 new rotors and 4 brake pads.

Timing was on our side though, as the aftermarket parts from overseas landed at my door-step and I immediately arranged for the parts to be trucked to Carmed for installation.
Congratulations on building a true 328i with the absolute right mods! The engine is a gem and wholehearted good luck and wishes for a happy car ownership

While reading through few things popped up in my head, what was the customs process like? Assuming you got it door delivered how much customs duty was imposed on the parts and the timeline from shipping to delivery.
Over and above how was your experience dealing with GTP Otomotive for the exhaust?

I’m in a similar situation looking for parts for 2 of my cars and both these sellers offer a good ton of options. Hope to get some good insight into your experience

99Octane
99octane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 16:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Building a car to one's taste requires in-depth knowledge, patience & passion. Reading your threads on purchase experience, the different stages of modifications with stunning pictures & attention to details is like reading an interesting novel. You have been extremely open and honest with your experiences, which is truly an asset for this forum.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks