Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2024, 10:41   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2024 Toyota Innova Hycross Hybrid Review | Silent Katana

HyCross; Petrol vs Petrol Hybrid

Drove a self-drive Innova HyCross G Variant rental in Goa for 2 days with 7 onboard.

2024 Toyota Innova Hycross Hybrid Review | Silent Katana-img_9539.jpeg

2024 Toyota Innova Hycross Hybrid Review | Silent Katana-img_9381.jpg

2024 Toyota Innova Hycross Hybrid Review | Silent Katana-img_9343.jpg

Things I liked in the lower variant:
- Excellent ride quality, down to the higher profile tires and almost perfect suspension tuning!
- The fabric seats on the lower variants are much softer than the hard seats found on the top spec ZX trims.
- Competent CVT with 10 virtual gears.
- Base variant gets some high-spec features like Auto-Hold and Electric parking brake.
- Good to see a rear wiper and wash available in the base variant, with the rains lashing it was pretty much a safety feature for me!
- Chiller of an AC, had to turn it off at times.
- This particular example had run 20k kms and had no rattles.
- Rock solid stability at 80kmph (car had a speed limiter) even with very strong crosswinds on the bridges in Goa.
- Drive in a sedate manner and the car is extremely silent and relaxed.

Things I loathed in this Petrol base variant:
- 205Nm is just not enough with 7 people onboard while climbing hilly terrains.
- The car doesn’t like itself being pushed. Just to get the car to move, have to press the accelerator till the halfway mark atleast with 7 onboard. Had to wring the motor hard just to get it moving on slopes! The 6500rpm redline mark was often being used…
- Some plastic trims were broken in the car, maybe due to rough usage by previous users.
- Mileage we got was 7-8 kmpl over 300kms that we drove, the car requires very frequent filling! A full tank’s range is just 300-350kms with 7 onboard till the Refuel warning pops up. For a people carrier this is the first downer! An Ertiga that we used on the first day was a manual and was returning 11.2kmpl in comparison.
- Drove over Goa’s famous speed rumblers on NH66 (which are more than speed rumblers) at 45-50kmph and the SRS Airbag Malfunction warning popped up! Which didn’t go away after switching on the car the next day!!
- Since the car had a speed-limiter at 80kmph, the gearbox didn’t upshift to the highest gear to save fuel. The car held the 6th gear at 80, had to manually upshift to the 8th gear, just to save some fuel.

If there was an option of the Petrol variant in the top-spec ZX variant, I would’ve still gone with the Hybrid variant, just because the Hybrid is the superior powertrain in the line-up, is well worth the premium and is the powertrain I would always recommend for the HyCross. If you will be using the car with only 5 passengers then the petrol only variant can just about suffice as long as you don’t want to drive fast.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 18:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
[center]
- Excellent ride quality, down to the higher profile tires and almost perfect suspension tuning!
Nice comparison, CEF_Beasts. My parents find the ride quality in our ZX flat-out bad (we are spoiled by the Octy's rear McPhersons). As someone who has driven both, would you be able to share some more light on just how much better the ride quality is with the R16s, as I am considering downsizing in the future.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 05:20   #33
BANNED

I have felt that the petrol variant isn't too powerful and the torque just aint enough for a car of this size, mileage is also poor, in the Innova Lineup, it's either the Crysta Diesel or the Hycross Hybrid.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 17:07   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Nice comparison, CEF_Beasts. My parents find the ride quality in our ZX flat-out bad (we are spoiled by the Octy's rear McPhersons). As someone who has driven both, would you be able to share some more light on just how much better the ride quality is with the R16s, as I am considering downsizing in the future.
After driving the Petrol HyCross with 16 inchers, I rode in the backseat of mine immediately after and definitely the difference is noticeable!

I wouldn’t term the ride with the 18 inchers as bad, but the 16 inchers just round off bumps and potholes much better due to their higher sidewall.

Where the 18 inchers have a stiff edge to them, the 16 inchers are able to smoothen any bump out much better. The softer fabric seats in the lower model also play a role in this, I find the leather seats a bit too stiff!

I would suggest you to downsize to Crysta’s 17 inch alloys with 235/55/R17 tires, they’ll fill the wheel wells much better and provide a more supple ride; effectively killing two birds with one stone.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 16:08   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

" Mileage we got was 7-8 kmpl over 300kms that we drove ". Have never seen this sort of mileage.
Old 14th August 2024, 05:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Mileage we got was 7-8 kmpl over 300kms that we drove, the car requires very frequent filling! A full tank’s range is just 300-350kms with 7 onboard till the Refuel warning pops up. For a people carrier this is the first downer! An Ertiga that we used on the first day was a manual and was returning 11.2kmpl in comparison.
For the size and weight of this vehicle, is it really that bad? Bad for the wallet for sure but when you have 7 onboard traveling in relatively decent comfort, that seems okay.

A diesel Innova may give you 1-2kmpl more, at best and will be nowhere near as good as the Hycross when it comes to comfort and nvh.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks