Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2024, 19:27   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review

Likes;

- Engine Performance is very good. (2L Turbo, 404 HP & 500NM)
- Looks good, both inside out. (Distinguishes itself well v/s the regular C)
- Ride comfort (Thanks to the adaptive dampers & soft tubeless Michelin PS4S)
- Handling Performance (Rear Biased 4Matic + Rear Wheel Steering combination works well)

Dislikes;

- A feature like Head Up Display is a big miss for a car in this category & price point, Start stop system is very sensitive and kicks in before coming to a complete halt.
- Modification potential is unknown as already a good amount of power has been extracted from this 2L unit.
- Gearbox is not good at city/slow speed conditions.
- CBU Pricing makes it a tough sell.

Video Link;

For those who prefer text may read on;

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd June 2024 at 15:54.
karan561 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 20:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving Review: Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine)

Facts about this M139 Engine;

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-19c0488006source1559923713.jpg

- One Man , One Engine. (Previous v6 c43 wasnt).
- Most Powerful 4cyl Engine in a mass production Car.
- This is the first time Mercedes have used both port & direct fuel injection in a 4cyl config.
- Per litre this engine produces more HP than even some of the Ferrari's V8 & even the Bugatti Chiron.
- The twin-scroll turbocharger is new and fitted with roller bearings for the first time, reducing mechanical friction so the turbo can spin more easily.
- For a big boost small displacement engine, the challenge was to keep everything cool so for that Mercedes went in for a 3 systems Cooling. (Air , Oil & Water).

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-screenshot-20240602-4.38.478239pm.png

Driving Performance;

So let's just address the Elephant in the room first. Yes, the C43 AMG is a 4cylinder, so what ? The best of cars we know and have idolised over the past years have also been 4 cylinders. Some examples and start off with Mercedes, the 190E which is sort of considered to be the forefather of the performance range C Class' we know was a 4 cylinder. In fact that 2.3 L engine was simply fantastic in its base form too, but then Cosworth came along and gave it 50 more HP with some lightweighting and dual overhead cams & made the 190 E legendary. Infact some race versions are known to produce more than 300 HP+ easy from a 4cyl.

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-b89f234.jpg

The Mitsubishi Evo Range. Which we all LOVE were great cars, Again 4 cylinder Engines. Even the original M3 (E30) was a 4cyl.

Ok, now lets not forget this is not the C63 we are talking about, hence its not lost a v8 in favour of this engine but the v6 which was anyway not that great of a performer. The v6 had an aural advantage over this engine for sure, but was it the best v6 ? May be not, but the M139 might be the best 4cyl in production.

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-screenshot-20240602-3.52.228239pm.png

Overall this is a very smooth engine for a 4cyl, cleanly pulls to the redline. The refinement is also very good. Exhaust sounds good for a 4cyl, also the sounds pumped in the cabin are actual and not fake because there's a mic connected to the exhaust playing the exhaust notes in real time via the speakers, Not bad. The Gearbox is a 9 speed multi plate clutch (wet) transmission, good to drive fast but not so good at city/traffic speeds. I personally felt that the Upshifts are better than downshifts. Yes, there's also a 48V hybrid motor, but that just gives momentary boosts upto 14-15HP I believe, would be more of a contributor during coasting etc for better FE & emissions.

Handling Performance & Ride Quality;

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-screenshot-20240602-3.52.538239pm.png

Speaking good things about the engine but if thats the case a lot may think that why dont we just buy the A35 AMG (has 2L Turbo M133 block) because that's cheaper or better buy the A45 S (same M139 block) as thats faster, well this is where the this car offers a more engaging driving experience, is that all those AMG's which i just mentioned are front biased all wheel drives, where as this is the one which is REAR biased & not only that it has rear axle steering too which contributes greatly towards the handling dynamics. The lane changes require lesser inputs, overall would be fun in the twisties too. Interestingly despite the rear bias (31 - 69 spilt) 4Matic the car on very few occassions felt rear led traction. Contributing factor to that may be these adhesive like tyres;

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-screenshot-20240603-1.22.538239pm.png

^ Yes, the car comes OE fitted with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Personally I feel the c43 didnt require to be a 4matic, could have launched a RWD only to target more fun factor and let the c63 be a 4matic.

Coming to the ride quality, which thanks to the adaptive dampers was very good for cruising in Comfort Mode. Yes, as soon as you switch to Sport then the low speed ride is very stiff. Note, the suspension doesn't lower. Tyres too contribute here in cushioning the ride. During tests the tyre pressure was around 40 PSI, hence I believe with lowering the pressure there is still a scope of improvement in ride even further.

Exterior & Interior Looks;

I have always preferred the C43 sedan body shape over the coupe & in this gen of the C43 the 43 AMG treatment works really well.

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-screenshot-20240603-4.09.038239pm.png

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-screenshot-20240603-4.09.248239pm.png

The body kit is aggressive enough to distinguish itself from the regular C Class range, particularly from the rear thanks to the antagonistic diffuser design;

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-screenshot-20240603-4.09.398239pm.png

The interior fit & finish is properly good, looks well put together.

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-20240524_122642.jpg

^ Love the steering wheel which feels great to hold and achieves good haptics, speaking of haptics the paddle shifters are SOLID Metal pieces, very intuitive to operate as well.

Red seat belts always remind you that this is a more serious version of the C Class.

But Where is the Coupe ?

Usually in Mercedes product launch timelines the sedan arrives first and then the coupe follows, but this gen C has been there for a long time but still there's no sign of the Coupe , so what's happening ?

Well, my theory is that there's a new product by the name of the CLE which is sort of a combination of the C Class and the E Class Coupe.

Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review-23c0384_004.jpg

& I think the above model will stand as a common coupe for both the C & E, not sure when it will launch in India though.

Final Thoughts;

In India the Mercedes-AMG C43 rivals the BMW M340i which is priced (& sells) very well as its a CKD.

This engine & kit works for the C43 really well but the problem is that it shouldn't have been put in the C63 & it seems Mercedes have finally recognised that & soon (C Facelift onwards) will offer the C63 with a v8.

The previous gen W205 C43 had the v6, which was good but may not be remembered as the best v6. This gen W206 C43 lost 2cyls but this engine may be remembered as one of the best 4cyls ever made

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd June 2024 at 19:22.
karan561 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 05:15   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine) Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 4th June 2024, 06:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving Review: Mercedes-AMG C43 (M139 Engine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Well, my theory is that there's a new product by the name of the CLE which is sort of a combination of the C Class and the E Class Coupe. The previous gen W205 C43 had the v6, which was good but may not be remembered as the best v6. This gen W206 C43 lost 2cyls but this engine may be remembered as one of the best 4cyls ever made
Those are some bonkers numbers for a 4 pot!
Yes, the CLE53 will be the replacement for the last gen C43 Coupe, though India may get to see one only a year or so later.

I quite liked the V6 on the last gen C43. It hauled the car to silly speeds and made a sound like a proper AMG should. I mean, there are few cars that could match the aural pleasure of the last gen C43. The trade off was the dated interior, old COMMAND like software, the two door being impractical and India did not get the option of Burmester sound system. For a car that costs 70lacs, skipping the sound system is a miss for those who value a good car stereo. This new iteration seems to address all of the above issues. I am not entirely convinced with the 4 pot though. It may move but will the car be remembered as much, will it hold its value in the market. The Enthusiast wants a bigger engine. The imminent return of the Mercedes V8 is a sign that they are following what the market wants, from a car like this.

Thanks for sharing.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 22:36   #5
GTI

The real issue with it being a 4cyl is not that it's a 4cyl, but the fact that it's predecessors had 6cyls and V8s, which they built the C Class AMG legacy with.
The new engine is smaller and has less cylinders, so people think it's worse, even when it makes more power than the old engines did, and has some serious tech in it.
I suppose people (enthusiasts specifically) are afraid of change.
GTI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 10:57   #6
BHPian

We (enthusiasts, if I may humbly call myself one) are not afraid of change.
We just also not want to be shortchanged.
4 pot is a 4 pot at the end of the day.

If 3 pot somehow magically starts making even more output, would one (enthusiast) still go for that?
Also, considering Bmw has a proper I6 at a much more attractive price just makes this c43 look like a niche toy just for Benz’s marketing. Even if one was a hardcore Benz enthusiast, I don’t see why they won’t jump up to E53 then?
Tutenkhamen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 23:01   #7
BHPian

If I remember correctly the A35 is M260 block, not M133 block.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks