Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2024, 09:01   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
This seems to be a common issue [1] even in international 3-door Jimnys - especially when they're lifted. So, the lift kits provide modified cross-members.

It seems to me that for that they didn't take this account when designing the 5-door. Affected members could see if modifying their cross-members could help!

[1] https://www.wildaccess.co.za/product...B93qruwpxfus14
buzzy_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 09:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
See if you can source an OEM spec bonnet insulation and install it.

Also what sequence do you follow before starting the vehicle ? Try hitting the start button without pressing the brake , allow it to finish the song and dance and then start the engine.

I'm thinking it is the heat and the lack of fuel pressure. In some vehicles the lack of Insulation or simply lack of adequate airflow inside the bonnet will cause the battery to give up early, but this being petrol the demand on battery should be less anyways.
I plan to get the Bonnet insulation from Harman Impex.

As per my sequence that I follow. Well, unlock the car and press the start button twice without pressing the brakes, so that the engine doesn't start directly. Just the accessories and ignition ON.

Once the infotainment and MID starts up, I press the brake pedal and start the car.

Mine is an AT so, need to press the brake for Starting.

On a cold day or when vehicle parked in shade, the crank is short and engine starts. Long crank only happens when parked in the sun.

Never came across such weird issues with any of my previous cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
This seems to be a common issue [1] even in international 3-door Jimnys - especially when they're lifted. So, the lift kits provide modified cross-members.

It seems to me that for that they didn't take this account when designing the 5-door. Affected members could see if modifying their cross-members could help!

[1] https://www.wildaccess.co.za/product...B93qruwpxfus14
This crossmember you have shared is the front lower crossmember. This is under the front propeller shaft. Front propeller shaft hits it when the vehicle is lifted. Most lift kits have relocation brackets for this.

The propeller shaft bangle or scratch issue discussed here is on the main or rear prop shaft.

Maruti Suzuki didn't account for the longer propeller shaft when extending the 3 door to 5 door and the soft rear suspension also has a part to play

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th September 2024 at 10:45. Reason: Spacing for readability
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2024, 10:59   #48
BHPian

Might be off topic but I remember reading somewhere of Jimny recall due to fuel pump issues in Australia. Can it be a wonky fuel pump causing long crank issues on the Indian Jimnys?

Last edited by dr_TJ : 7th September 2024 at 11:00.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 15:10   #49
BHPian

Was able to record the long crank issue on my Jimny Alpha AT.

First video is of a normal crank and the second one is of a Long crank.

Might be helpful for others here

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th September 2024 at 10:44. Reason: Spacing
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 22:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
https://Youtu.be/A69dzaGcNpA?si=-b3dGg5G8QxwX-Sr

Was able to record the long crank issue on my Jimny Alpha AT.
First video is of a normal crank and the second one is of a Long crank.
Might be helpful for others here
Was your jimny an old stock when you acquired it? I got an automatic jimny 15 days back, ODO stands at 1000 kms . I dont have your brake issue or this long crank issue. Please check car battery.
Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 23:02   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
Was your jimny an old stock when you acquired it? I got an automatic jimny 15 days back, ODO stands at 1000 kms . I dont have your brake issue or this long crank issue. Please check car battery.
Yes, old stock. Long crank is very random in my case. 1st crank in the morning is normal as well. Battery health is shown to be normal when checked.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 09:51   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Yes, old stock. Long crank is very random in my case. 1st crank in the morning is normal as well. Battery health is shown to be normal when checked.
In the video, I observed even the single crank doesnt sound right. When ever I get my new car, first week I check for a Lemon. Lemons show their traits in the first week itself. Please leave all the small issues and enjoy the car. Jimny is a fun little car . Enjoy what we got.
Vulken Auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2024, 16:38   #53

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hello everyone,

I test-drove the Jimny for a good two hours, covering around 60 kilometers, including the hills to Yerada in Visakhapatnam.

I cannot wipe my smile off my face. The vehicle is so robust and simple that it can not be broken even if I try to (forgive my enthusiasm since I come from a very fragile Skoda Rapid). The movement was so well contained, and for a small car, it's so spacious on the inside. I was not expecting that.

The HT tyres weren't that bad. The salesman said that if I change the tires, insurance and warranty would be an issue. The roof-rack installation warranty will also be void, and an insurance claim will be an issue.

We drove on a nonexistent road in "4 Low." I do not know if it was that particular car issue, but "4 Low" took several attempts before it engaged. When it finally did engage, it took a lot of tries to disengage, too. The salesman gave an excuse, saying it's a test-drive vehicle, hence the issue of engaging and disengaging; the new vehicle won't have this issue.

I am going to Bangalore for two weeks and will test drive Thar after returning. I got a quote of Rs. 15,90,000, but with further haggling, I may get a ten thousand discount more. Do you think the price for the Alpha Automatic variant is a good price, or can I get them to reduce it by a lakh more?

Last edited by navin : 30th September 2024 at 16:53. Reason: typos
NEWTON-METERS is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd October 2024, 17:20   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON-METERS View Post

I am going to Bangalore for two weeks and will test drive Thar after returning. I got a quote of Rs. 15,90,000, but with further haggling, I may get a ten thousand discount more. Do you think the price for the Alpha Automatic variant is a good price, or can I get them to reduce it by a lakh more?
Definitely scope for further negotiations. In July I got 4.1L off! I have engaged the 4L once and did not face any issues in my Alpha MT.
jimnylife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2024, 16:18   #55
BHPian

Hello Everyone ,

I love Jimny's looks , it's unlike any other car in our market. I wanted to replace my trustworthy Grand i10 AT with some other AT car but this time I also wanted something with higher seating & little different than usual cars. Hence decided to test drive the Jimny. We were 4 of us ( everyone is around 5'-8" to 5'-10" tall and nobody is slim ) and everyone was excited equally with great expectations. My observations are as under in brief.

Pros -
Unique looks
Decent Build quality
Small Footprint
Great Suspension set up
Off -roading supremacy

Cons -
Space inside is inadequate for 4 well built Adults.
Very Small driver footwell
Sluggish Engine performance
Heavy Steering
Big turning radius

We kept thinking for few more days after the test drive about the Jimmy but finally opted out as we would not off-road much which is the real strength of the Jimny.
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2024, 21:40   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

10,000 km update & the 3rd free service.

The good part-

No new niggles are to be reported.

For the last 3,500 km, I got an overall mileage of 11.9 km/L, which included mainly city runs, some highway drives, and a couple of small OTRs. The mileage on the MID was 12.2 km/L, but the nasty traffic jams before the Durga Puja brought it down to 11.8 km/L, and now it has climbed back to 11.9 km/L.

The AC is a chiller. Even keeping the climate control at 26C keeps the cabin cool.

This car is a delight to drive in the city traffic. Small footprint, upright seating position, superb frontal visibility, and more importantly this car has black nonbody colored bumpers and side claddings on doors and fenders which keeps me at peace whenever those stupid auto rikshaws or the bikers try to squeeze in from those non-existing gaps! While driving a car with body-colored bumpers, these people always raise my blood pressure! The Jimny can be parked anywhere a hatchback can be parked!

Thanks to MSIL's goof-up on the pricing, this car still retains its exclusivity on the road!

The Neutral part-

I am not a music enthusiast who enjoys music in high volume. The stock factory setup works for me.

The NVH is just okay, one can feel the engine vibration on the door pads while on idling. However, it goes away when the car is in motion.

The headlights are okay, I would have preferred a bit more powerful setup, especially when it rains.

The ride comfort is just acceptable. It has those typical traits of a body-on-frame SUV. My previous car was a Duster! So am never impressed with Jimny's ride quality~! Though both should never be compared.

The current tires are good and they definitely do their job. But Maruti should have provided better quality AT tires in its stock size from the factory.
Better tires could have improved the otherwise mediocre braking performance of the Jimny.

The cons-

When our whole family plans for a road trip, we still rely upon our 13-year-old Etios for its rear seat comfort and space.

100 km/hr comes at 3000 rpm. So cruising over 100 km/hr is not very pleasant for a long 10-12 hrs drive. Best to keep the cruising speed between 90-100 km/hr and occasionally in the 110-120 km/hr range.

Maruti is yet to provide solutions for the niggles I have mentioned in my earlier posts.

One needs to get accustomed to Jimny's turning radius while taking 'U' turns on congested/narrow city roads.

A lumbar support, a height-adjustable driver's seat, and a handrest are real bad misses from Maruti. And I dare not talk about the modularity part!

Coming to the 3rd free service-

A thorough check-up was done and everything was perfect.
No error codes from the OBD scanner.
Did a 5-tire rotation. No alignment and balancing were required.
The engine oil & oil filter was replaced. The engine oil used was Idemitsu & the oil filter was the K00 with 8 holes in it.
Airfilter and cabinfilter were checked cleaned and put back. Replacement was not required.

The total bill came to Rs 1800. I had some reward points from Maruti, so after deducting them I only had to pay Rs 1,000.
Super happy with the work done by Jyote Motors near Science City Kolkata.

Sharing few pics-

Jimny's 1st Durga Puja outing!

Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view-img_2568.jpg

Jimny with my Etios & my wife Bhpian DogNDamsel12's Polo.

Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view-img_2143.jpg

An all-grip Rhino!

Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view-img_2737.jpg

When the Odo reading compliments the car registration number!

Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view-img_1565.jpg

10,000 km up!

Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view-img_2711.jpg

Getting 14+ km/L is easily achievable if driven between 90-100 km/hr.

Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view-qgjb0425.jpg

Pre Durga Puja the city traffic was nasty. It took around 2 hours to cover 11 km! The mileage figures from that time!

Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view-img_2286.jpg

Luckily no scratches on the bonnet!

Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view-img_2150.jpg

Was trying to catch the culprit for quite some time, and finally caught it at night 1 am! Needless to say, our Labrador gave the cat a tough time running behind it! Missed recording that fun video!

Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view-img_2315.jpg

Last but not least, this cat did a thorough underbelly inspection & certified it as 'ALL IS WELL!'

Maruti Jimny Alpha MT Review | An owner's point of view-img_2452.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 21st October 2024 at 22:04.
Samba is offline   (34) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks