Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2024, 11:42   #1
BHPian

2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender

Ownership review : 2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) 1.2 CVT

2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240612__10.07.27.jpeg

Introduction :
We purchased a brand new Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (O) IVT for our city errands back in October 2023. The car is now 7 months and 6,500kms old, used mainly within the city limits. I think it's time to share a review of our ownership experience so far, to aid anyone thinking of purchasing a car in this segment. Given that the official review thread (pre-facelift) is comprehensive enough, let me limit this review to my observations and aspects specific to this particular variant and drivetrain for the sake of brevity.

• 1.2L four-cylinder Kappa petrol + CVT makes for a brilliant match, it is adequate for everyday city commutes.
• Ride is compliant and the handling is surprisingly good, polar opposite to what I was expecting from a Hyundai hatchback.
• The low-set dashboard not only helps the airy feeling inside but also allows the best view out.
• Front seats are quite comfortable, they provide good overall support and the driver seat's height adjustment has a good range too.
• Extremely spacious cabin for a hatchback of this size. Loads of sensible touches make it easy to live with.
• The Asta Option variant is loaded with tons of features. 6 airbags, ABS with EBD, HAC, cruise control, electric sunroof, wireless charger and what not.

Dislikes :
• Many like/dislike the current-gen i20 just for the funky rear-end design, it's a thing of personal preference at the end of the day.
• Interior quality is not the best I've seen from Hyundai, plastic feels scratchy at many points.
• Front centre armrest is placed a bit too behind from the reach of driver's elbow, which literally forces us to rest hand on the gear lever.
• 1.2L four-cylinder Kappa engine doesn’t like being revved hard, lacks top-end punch too. Overtaking even at low speeds requires planning. There is no getting anywhere quickly.
• Rubber-band effect, a CVT trademark, is noticeable even at part throttle, this is so infuriating sometimes.
• Hyundai should’ve provided rear disc brakes also, at least the good old first-gen i20 had them.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd June 2024 at 08:28. Reason: typo
Shreyfiesta is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 11:49   #2
BHPian

Re: My 2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT : Capable daily driver, decent weekender

Background :
The i20 technically replaces our Figo 1.2 EXI, which we sold off six years ago. An upgrade was actually planned for 2020, thanks to the COVID-19 situation and related fluctuating financial scenario, it got postponed more than once. Cut to late-2022, my dad got transferred back to our hometown and started using our trusted Maruti 800 5 Speed as his daily driver. He eventually started complaining about leg pain due to excessive clutch usage in dense traffic, all three of our cars were manuals. This meant that it was time to buy an automatic for everyday commutes, preferably a hatchback or a compact sedan. A pre-owned Volkswagen Polo 1.0 GT TSI was what I had in mind initially. While the Polo is an all-rounder, I hate low-capacity three-cylinder turbo petrols. Older 1.2 GT TSIs with the DQ200 DSG are problematic too. Also, the asking prices for <3 year old examples in Kerala were quite high, so decided not to take the VAG route.

The 800, 24 years young, aged like fine wine.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240619__12.04.50.jpeg

We usually keep our cars for a long duration, say for 8-12 years, depending on the spares availability, service support, resale value etc. The requirement was a fuss-free commuter to ensure a relaxed drive at the end of that dreaded travel back home from office. Our usage is around 10-12k km a year roughly split 70:30 city to highway. DCT's transmission overheating issue was taken into account since the car was supposed to be used in bumper-to-bumper traffic. In the long-term, I do think that a CVT will be more reliable than a DCT. Plus, the CVTs normally comes mated to simpler four-cylinder naturally aspirated engines in India (except the Nissan Magnite, maybe?), rather than the more complex small-capacity turbo-petrols. With clear preferences and a strict budget of ₹ 10-14lakh, the search for a new car began sometime in mid-2023.

The Polo looks sizzling hot even after 14 years of existence, what a gracefully aged car!
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240619_121306.jpg

Alternatives considered :
1.) Maruti Fronx 1.2 AMT - We actually found the Fronx as a reliable, easy-to-live with car that will do everything decently well. The moment I drove a friend's Fronx (1.2 NA + AMT combo), all the expectations were lost. It was simply a Baleno on stilts, which wasn't great on the highways due to the jerky AMT. Also, the 1.2 AMT's top-spec variant lacked a lot of basic features like rear-view camera, height-adjustable driver seat, rear wiper, etc. Without even a dealership visit, the Fronx was given a pass.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-2023marutifronx06.jpg

2.) Honda Amaze 1.2 CVT - The Amaze was perfect on paper. I was very keen on buying the top-spec VX CVT variant for the VFM factor it represented. We did check out the car from our nearest dealership, but came back disappointed seeing the overall quality of the interiors. It honestly didn't feel like a 12 lakh-rupee car to my dad. Plus, someone whom I know was facing consistent rattling issues inside the cabin of her car. I wasn't sure how long will the car remain rattle free, hence the Amaze also was ruled out.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-2021hondaamaze01.jpg

3.) Tata Tiago EV - Wild card entry the Tiago was, an electric vehicle was never under our consideration. I was not much interested in buying a Tata product, because the brand has a habit of releasing poorly-sorted products into the market, which they later correct. The fact remains Tata look upon early customers (the Tiago EV is a relatively new product) as ‘beta testers’ of sorts. Another downside with Tata is the after sales support, the dealer near us (now defunct, thankfully) was notorious for their poor service activities, and similarly about the EV - the worry of battery replacement was always there.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-2022tatatiagoev01.jpg

4.) Hyundai i20 1.2 CVT - My impression about the i20 was that it is overpriced for what it actually offers. A casual visit to the Hyundai dealership in our hometown changed my perception. I was happy to see the impeccable fit and finish, well-laid out interiors, ergonomics - perfect size of the steering wheel, smooth pedal feel, gear selector lever positioned exactly where I wanted it to be, big on interior space and ample legroom at the rear. I knew I was hooked, just because it had all the essentials to be our practical, everyday hatchback. 1.2 NA + CVT was enough for us to get the job done without fuss.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240427_163339.jpg

Booking and delivery experience :
Once we narrowed down to the Hyundai i20 in September 2023 and initiated serious discussions with the SA at PPS Hyundai Alappuzha, we had two options choose from : either to buy pre-facelift MY23 Sportz 1.2 IVT variant (mid-spec) with heavy discounts or to wait for newly-launched facelift examples to reach the showroom. We opted for the latter, and the wait started. Facelift was a no brainer in my opinion at least, because it featured updated external looks and better interiors. Hyundai brought no mechanical changes to the car during this facelift, so there was no need to take another test drive. We finally booked a top-spec facelift Asta (O) 1.2 IVT in Atlas White shade and shook hands at a price that we were satisfied with.

The dealership had almost all cars on display except the then-new Exter and Tucson.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240427_171058.jpg

The pre-facelift i20 Sportz IVT which I was referring to.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240427_171338.jpg

A booking amount of ₹ 10,000 was paid on the same day. The entire processes for taking temporary registration, insurance, fast tag, etc were completed from the dealer's side within a few days. We usually opt for temporary registration during delivery because my dad is strict about his number choices. Dad and his driver did a quick pre-delivery inspection process of the car from the dealer's yard after a few days and did the balance payment as well. Also, opted for some basic accessories like 7D floor mats, scuff plates, rain visors, etc. Mudflaps and rear spoiler were out of stock for the i20, hence decided to get them done during the first service.

A picture of our car taken during the PDI process. One of the first lot facelift units to arrive at the yard.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img20240427wa0083.jpg

After a waiting period of only 10 days, we took the delivery of our brand new i20 on 8th October 2023. It was a Sunday morning, and the dealership was opened exclusively for us to take the delivery. A pack of chocolates, a tissue box and a keyring were provided as a welcome gift. All the remaining paperwork were completed on the spot, did the setup of Hyundai Bluelink, and was handed over the warranty cards for the battery and accessories. The car was kept super clean at the delivery bay with all the extras installed, done only 8kms on the odometer. The delivery experience was standard fare, an unveiling and handing over of the keys. According to the dealer, this is the first facelifted third-gen i20 delivered in our district, I don't care about such things anyway.

Price details :
Ex-showroom price - ₹ 11,09,000
Insurance - ₹ 39,900
Road tax + registration fee - ₹ 1,93,280
Fasttag - ₹ 500
TCS - ₹ 10,800
Extended warranty (4yr/100k kms) - ₹ 7,550
Accessories - ₹ 20,400
Total on-road price - ₹ 13,81,430

All of the formalities were completed and we got the possession precisely at 11am.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240427_175306.jpg

My gleaming white i20, fresh out of the showroom floor.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240620141301440.jpg

Everything goes like a clockwork on the delivery day of your new car.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240427_224737.jpg

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 21st June 2024 at 13:52.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 01:58   #3
BHPian

ABOUT THE CAR

Exterior :
The third-gen i20 came out in 2020, and it marked a big shift in the styling of the car. Importantly, the wheelbase is 10 mm longer than the older model (Elite i20), which means that the i20’s wheelbase is a full 80 mm longer than the Venue’s. Restricted overall length to < 4m for availing tax benefits has resulted in minimising the front and rear overhangs of the car. Anyways, the overall exterior design hasn’t quite met the approval of the Indians, I quite like it and prefer it to that of its predecessor, which was too cold for my taste. The hatchback has some touches of Korean influence in its crease lines on the side, the staring LED headlamps, the Z-shape taillamps, and the diffuser-like element on the rear bumper. Plus, that radiator grille finished in glossy black gives it an air of sportiness. Twin character lines on the sides create a bit of depth of surface on the front door and a visual interest on the rear one, precisely on the area where they overlap.

The wrap-around LED headlamps, the glossy mirror finished grille and 2D Hyundai logo, all very stylish bits.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240619__09.56.27.jpeg

Not everyone is fond of this third-gen i20's rear-end design, though it does have some very strong styling elements.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240619__09.58.35.jpeg

At 3995mm in length and 2580mm across the mirrors, the i20 is a typical size for a premium hatchback.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240619_104157.jpg

Full-LED headlamps look premium and lights-up the road nicely.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img20240613102848.jpg

The entire headlamp unit in action.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240617_185257.jpg

The refreshed Z-shape LED taillamps which came as a part of the 2023 facelift.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240615_014008.jpg

The top-spec Asta Option variant gets sunroof. I've always wanted my i20 to have sunroof since the day I saw the first-gen model back in 2009.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240614223332168.jpg

The Asta variants get 16-inch dual-tone diamond-cut alloy wheels shod with 195/55 section tyres. I should have got the caliper painted red.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240613_132107.jpg

Only the driver-side door handle gets request sensor and key hole.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240613_131212.jpg

The 'Auto' badge is present on the right side fender only.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240615_014217.jpg

ORVMs get integrated turn indicators, but they are a bit too broad.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img20240613103201.jpg

I love the way how Hyundai has integrated the fuel lid alongside the taillamp.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img20240613103324.jpg

Shark fin antenna on the roof.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240615020234829.jpg

Interior :
The interiors feel very well crafted for a mid-size Hyundai. Finished in a black + dull beige colour scheme, the facelifted i20 doesn't convey that premium ambience the minute you get into it. Cabin definitely feels more airy than the pre-facelift's all-black interiors though, thanks to the addition of lighter shades. The air vents’ design runs across the dashboard, highlighting the cabin width. From the driver’s seat, the very first thing that catches attention is the digital instrument cluster. It’s identical to that of the 2019 Verna and houses a MID that displays door lock/unlock status, tyre pressure, fuel economy, distance to empty, etc. Sitting besides the cluster is the 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system. The unit is simple and easy to use, and the touch response is excellent as well. It even has connectivity features like Apple Carplay and Android Auto as standard. Shockingly, none of these are supported wirelessly on this top-spec Asta Option variant. Cheaper variants like Magna and Sportz gets wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Switches and controls for the climate, infotainment and drive modes have a solid feel to them. Not to forget about the leather-wrapped 4-spoke flat-bottomed steering wheel which is nice to hold.

A complete view of the dashboard from rear seat.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240505_115532.jpg

Flat-bottom steering wheel lifted from the Creta is chunky and nice to hold.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240606_142855.jpg

The centre console houses a 10.25-inch touchscreen HU, air-con vents, and climate control unit.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img20240505114909.jpg

The infotainment screen doubles up as reverse camera display with guidelines, a boon in tight parking spots.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240618_213351.jpg

The BMW-inspired digital instrument cluster in action. The MID displays average fuel consumption, DTE, trip meter, tyre pressure, etc.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240505_123006.jpg

UK-spec i20 gets this instrument cluster having a much cleaner, premium design
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240505_123946.jpg

Climate control panel is set a bit too low, just above the power socket/USB slot. The switches for fan speed and temperature control have nice positive clicks.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img20240510135944.jpg

Front seat comfort is good but cushioning at the lower back is soft.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240607203943591.jpg

The generic leather-wrapped gear selector lever of Hyundai.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240514_113715.jpg

Glovebox gets chilling function, the space is adequately deep too.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img20240511100856.jpg

The sunglass holder, and the controls for cabin lights and sunroof. Cabin lights can be switched on/off by pressing on the light cover also.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img20240511100714.jpg

Auto-dimming IRVM is missing in an otherwise well-equipped car. The IRVM houses 3 buttons : SOS, RSA and Bluelink.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240516_193252.jpg

Control panel on the driver side doorpad contains switches for ORVM adjustment/fold, door lock, power window and rear window lock.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240619_104708.jpg

Engine & Transmission:
The fact remains that the 1.2-litre four-cylinder Kappa petrol engine has always been a commuter motor and even with the CVT automatic (IVT, as Hyundai calls it), that character remains the same. This unit makes 87bhp at 6000rpm and 114.7Nm of torque at 4200rpm. Push the engine hard and all you get is a lot of noise but the same is not actually translated to speed. The ideal driving range is between 2500-4000rpm, where there is just the right amount of power to drive at city speeds. On the upside, this is the most refined engine in its class. The engine is almost inaudible at idle. The rubber band effect, typical of CVTs, is quite prominent in the i20’s unit as well. Overtaking maneuvers requires advanced planning, what does help here is the manual shift mode. The key point to understand is that this car is strictly meant to be an urban commuter and not for spirited driving. Once you appreciate that, the i20 1.2 CVT makes sense.

The 1.2-litre Kappa petrol engine fills up engine bay quite well but does not get a cover, the cheaper i10 Nios has it.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20231209_103841.jpg

No under-hood insulation too.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240608_110300.jpg

The anemic bottom end comes to action when starting out in a hurry.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240615_020644.jpg

Ride, Handling & Braking :
Suspension setup on paper is a kind of standard, run-of-the-mill setup. MacPhersons at the front and a coupled torsion beam at the rear with gas-charged shock absorbers, everything retained from the Elite i20. The suspension has been tuned for a great balance between a comfortable and sporty ride. This allows the car to be rather stable even at high speeds. Around corners the hatchback is a hoot to drive, this is something that I didn't expect from a Hyundai, I love the change in direction for the company. Bump absorption is actually quite good and this means in most cases the i20 passenger will remain comfortable. The steering setup too is much better than the older Hyundais that I've driven (hear first-gen i10 and Fluidic Verna) and offers a lot more feedback. Some more tuning might be required to live up to European car levels.

I'd confidently say that the i20 probably has the finest ride and handling character in the segment right now.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240427_165352.jpg

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 21st June 2024 at 14:22.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 02:56   #4
BHPian

OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCE

It's been 8 months since we bought the i20. Ours is a petrol-automatic in fully loaded Asta Option trim, which is the spec of choice for anyone who wants a commuter hatchback with plenty of features. The odometer stands at 7950kms now, I know it's quite low. In fact, the lion’s share of those kilometres was logged out in the city, and for this task, it is ideally suited. I was its custodian for the last couple of months and its arrival in my life simulated a very natural upgrade up the hatchback pecking order from my last hatch – a first-gen Figo 1.2 Petrol that was sold long ago. For me, it didn't take much time to get used to the CVT. Though not quick, there are no jerks and it feels sophisticated in a way that the AMT doesn’t. I’d have an CVT over an AMT anyday. On the other hand, fuel efficiency plummets when I try hard to extract some more performance – 9-11kmpl is what I average in the city. I got a best figure of 16.5kmpl on a leisurely drive from Kochi to Trivandrum on the highway last month. It’s just that I find myself reaching out for the sport mode button to activate every time I need more from the engine.

2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240621_141130.jpg

The more you live with a car, the more you come to appreciate previously overlooked attributes. Case in point – the wireless charger and keyless entry. Usual for a car nowadays to offer these features, but I'm experiencing them for the first time. Ditto with the BlueLink feature as well, it allows me to lock or unlock the car, activate lights, honk and check the vehicle status. There are few other plus points too which I’ve taken to quite keenly. The 10.25-inch touchscreen head-unit gets a big thumbs up, it is big but well-integrated without distracting the vision of driver and co-passenger. Boss 10-speaker audio system churns great sound quality, the head unit itself is crisp to use and offers seamless connectivity with both Android and iPhone. Illuminated USB ports, footwell and door pockets are among many nice bits of the well-thought-out interior. The rear seat is a nice place to be in. The scooped out seatbacks give the kneeroom to scooch all the way down on the seat. A word on the air-con too, it’s quick enough to cool the whole cabin and has put up a fight through Kerala's summer heat.

The wireless phone charger is a big plus, the pad has enough space to accommodate large sized phones.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240606144929403.jpg

Rear vents help cool the cabin faster. There's an illuminated USB charging slot below, and a storage space to keep the phone.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240615021548953.jpg

The top-spec Asta Option and N-Line N8 variants doesn't have wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto, a shocking omission.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img20240617101430.jpg

The 311-litre boot is roomier than it looks and can hold a surprising amount of luggage.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20240617_180928.jpg

The i20 is sized perfectly for presence and is quite easy to negotiate through narrow lanes and traffic. Only fly in the ointment is the size of ORVMs, they are just too broad for a car of this size, they frequently get knocked by bikers in traffic. Inside the cabin, light-coloured seat fabric have picked a lot of stains over the last couple of months, it demands regular cleaning. Rear seat misses out third headrest that ought to be standard in a car as pricey as the i20, it was available in the pre-facelift cars though. A greater inconvenience comes in the form of the front centre armrest placed far too away from the reach of my elbow, the adjustment range is very limited, making no difference. The characteristic Hyundai stock horn is very weak and people barely respond to it, hence upgraded to Hella Chrome Trumpet set for ₹ 1,800. Lock-unlock alarm is irritatingly loud but thankfully it can be disabled using the key fob itself. The most annoying issue is with the driver-side seatbelt, I'm noticing this since day 1. It won't easily retract itself whenever the belt is released from the buckle, I have to pull it manually using hands for it to retract completely. Need to get this fixed from ASC during the next service by adjusting tightness of the bolt at the base of B-pillar.

The upholstery is light and shows stains easily.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240606145315567.jpg

A loud horn is necessary on congested city roads, the Hella Trumpet does its job well.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img_20231118_1236312.jpg

The facelifted i20 doesn't get a rear centre headrest, which it really ought to have.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240615022626050.jpg

The only concern about driving in lashing rain is the old-school wipers, which aren’t very effective.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240612101449629.jpg

First servicing was done on 26th Nov 2023 at 1842 kms. Actually this was scheduled to be done at 1000 kms/30 days, we delayed it for two more weeks so that we could get the HSRP also fitted along with the general checkup. Service was done at PPS Hyundai, Alappuzha. The final bill came to only ₹ 679/-. We purchased a boot mat also from the service centre on the same day. Service experience was good and I was surprised to see the level of attention our car was given. The next service is scheduled for 10,000 kms/12 months, whichever comes earlier. By the time you read this review, the car will have already completed 8,000 kms. It takes time to get to know a car and understand and appreciate it. A lot depends on what you do with the time you have with the car. A lot of times I take it out of the city to try and know how it takes corners. Or maybe I just love to drive. But the i20 does manage to do everything that it does exceedingly well. An sweet no nonsense family hatchback, and for that simple reason, it continues to impress me everyday.

Front centre armrest is too far away to rest my hands comfortably on it. Perhaps a taller man than I wouldn’t find it that much of an issue.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-img20240617182013.jpg

View from the cockpit.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-20240616210015186.jpg

Thanks for reading through till here. I will update the thread with my experience with the car and also a couple of upgrades that I am planning shortly.

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 21st June 2024 at 14:26.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 18:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 11:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta View Post
The only concern about driving in lashing rain is the old-school wipers, which aren’t very effective.
2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-81uerdxh9tl._sl1500_.jpg

2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender-71ukalmb7gl._sl1500_.jpg

I think buying these from amazon might help you with just that, especially when you're located in a monsoon heavy region.
The Pianist is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 13:22   #7
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender

Congrats on the car, i20, especially with the 1.2 L engine has come a long way in addressing the 2, rather 3 big deal breaking blunders from the Gen 1 i20 I used to own.

While it has always been a brilliant, all rounder package with good styling and in typical Hyundai fashion good interiors and more than plenty of features, the 1st one had these extreme deal breaking shortcomings which have been eventually solved:-

1- The Kappa Engine - It was just excruciatingly slow, in all conditions, at all engine speeds, in i20 it was just useless, I clearly remember if I was behind a particularly slow driver, I used to honk and sometimes the drivers in front used to comply, but then I would step on the accelerator to overtake and nothing, I would drop a few gears and the progress will be in slow motion, you literally had to face the person you just wanted to overtake and ignore their judgemental stares as you slowly move across them, after a while I just stopped bothering and it taught me patience.
Driving cars with similar sized engines - Swift, Ritz, even Brio and i10 with the same engine was a night and day difference and a revelation to me, this one felt like you were driving with handbrake on.
I think Team BHP's review of the improved 2nd gen i20 summed it perfectly, but the sentiment was even strong with the first one that the i20 is a slow car, Period! If you revv it hard, it would still be a slow car but then it would be inefficient too, so just give up.

But over the years, I have seen constant improvement even though on paper figures have remain the same, today this engine like you said is acceptable, even the low end torque is much improved from before is what I observed.

2- The dynamics were weak, but the straight line stability was atrocious, the entire car used to vibrate and tremble around 120 KM/h that you were forced to back off, I got it checked multiple times but the flaw was by design not because of some part gone bad, I drove the 1st Gen Facelift but in Diesel later and then the 2nd Gen petrol and they had fixed this issue by then.

3- The AC was the third deal breaker, there was some hue and cry for this but the thing is most states in India have temperatures from 35-40 degrees and almost all the ACs manage, but Delhi NCR is different and the litmus test, in peak summers, when the outside temperature was 45-48 degrees and/or the car was parked under the sun, the AC would just not cool, at all!
It would take more than an hour during 42-43 degree kind of days for cabin to get just acceptable and on one occasion the outside temperature was around 48 and I took a Delhi to Gurgaon trip and the entire 1 and a half hour we were sweating badly, it was the most uncomfortably hot we had ever been in a car.

Again, the AC technically was fine but it was bad by design. In less hot days or during the evenings, it used to cool perfectly well.
Rocketscience is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 14:54   #8
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai i20 Asta (O) CVT Review | Capable daily driver, decent weekender

Hearty congrats on the car. The i20 was on our list when we were shopping for a car in 2023 October, but we dropped it due to the poor safety ratings. On top of that, my dad was pretty sold on the Amaze and we brought it home at the same time you brought yours. But yeah I sometimes do wish we gave the i20 a second thought.
Old 22nd June 2024, 18:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
He eventually started complaining about leg pain due to excessive clutch usage in dense traffic, all three of our cars were manuals.
A quick query, is there a reason why you did not look at the Kiger?
Reason I ask is that, my mom was looking at the Kiger CVT. She liked it very much. Test drove the Exter and Fronx, but she liked the kiger better. Waiting for the C3 AT, will wait till the end of July.
She currently drives a 2012 i10 Asta AMT and she’s like she doesn’t want a Hyundai anymore.
So, if you could let me know why you had skipped kiger, it would be helpful in our purchasing decision.

Thank you
Old 22nd June 2024, 22:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Congrats on the car, i20, especially with the 1.2 L engine has come a long way in addressing the 2, rather 3 big deal breaking blunders from the Gen 1 i20 I used to own.
Thanks. The Gen-1 i20 was Hyundai's take on the premium hatchback space, a true euro-centric car. This car and the Fabia were the most feature-rich cars under ₹ 10lakh back in the day. Sunroof, 6 airbags, rear disc brakes, etc were unheard of in that segment back in 2009. The 1.2L Kappa petrol from the stone age was a slouch as you said, it was nowhere as impressive as its diesel counterpart. There existed a 1.4L Gamma petrol as well, mated with a TC automatic, a gas-guzzler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Driving cars with similar sized engines - Swift, Ritz, even Brio and i10 with the same engine was a night and day difference and a revelation to me, this one felt like you were driving with handbrake on.
Power to weight ratio and gearbox ratios are the two major factors to be considered in this case. Let me give an example of a car with 100bhp/ton. If this car has tall gearing, it can pick up speeds quite quickly at lower engine rpms, making it a comfortable highway cruiser. Suppose if the same car has a shorter ratio gearbox, it can run out of steam pretty quickly on the highway. Drive both the Gen-1 i10 and Gen-1 i20 with the same 1.2L Kappa petrol engine one after the other, you can realise this clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Hearty congrats on the car. The i20 was on our list when we were shopping for a car in 2023 October, but we dropped it due to the poor safety ratings. On top of that, my dad was pretty sold on the Amaze and we brought it home at the same time you brought yours. But yeah I sometimes do wish we gave the i20 a second thought.
Thank you Sai Kishor. I loved the Amaze for the value proposition it offered, it was a pretty well-rounded package I'd say. It’s got the three-box shape, an engine that stands for everything Japanese, including fuel efficiency and peppy power delivery, decent service network and Honda brand value, the list is endless. But all said and done, the Amaze is an ageing product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamlifter.07 View Post
So, if you could let me know why you had skipped kiger, it would be helpful in our purchasing decision.
The Kiger never came into consideration just because I was inclined more towards traditional hatchbacks than compact SUVs. To be honest, I'm actually uncertain about the future of Renault-Nissan in the Indian market. It seems like they are surviving solely on making press announcements of expected launches, none of these cars actually make it to the showrooms.

"India not an easy market, we are still searching for the secret sauce to success", this is what Renault CEO Luca de Meo had to say regarding this matter. Even after 17 years of existence in the market (remember the Logan?), guys are still figuring out the 'secret sauce' to set things right. No brand can build reputation without good products.

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 22nd June 2024 at 22:28.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 22:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Power to weight ratio and gearbox ratios are the two major factors to be considered in this case. Let me give an example of a car with 100bhp/ton. If this car has tall gearing, it can pick up speeds quite quickly at lower engine rpms, making it a comfortable highway cruiser. Suppose if the same car has a shorter ratio gearbox, it can run out of steam pretty quickly on the highway. Drive both the Gen-1 i10 and Gen-1 i20 with the same 1.2L Kappa petrol engine one after the other, you can realise this clearly.
Yes, agreed. Although I think you got the explanation right but mixed up the tall and short gearing part of it, it is the shorter gearing one which will be more energetic at lower RPMs but the engine will run at high RPMs at highway cruising speeds while the taller gearing one will be much more relaxed while cruising but will be gutless at lower revs, all else being equal, ofcourse companies use both these types of gearboxes to best optimise the type of engine they have, like an engine with healthy bottom end, like the recently introduced Maruti Z Series and on an lightweight car like Swift can get away with taller gearing to save additional fuel while offering good performance. Ofcourse a lot of other factors are at place.

In that i20's case, it was indeed the power to weight ratio at play, that engine was best suited for i10, but in the heavier and decently well built and heavy i20, it was out of depth and hence everything I experienced with it and mentioned earlier was the consequence. Although knowing Hyundai I am almost 99% sure they used the exact same gearbox with exact same gear ratios for both of them, they even cheaped out and didn't even give it a shorter final drive ratio, that sort of makeshift solution or jugaad as you may call makes every gear short, so while the car will become brisk and energetic at lower gears and offer better performance despite higher weight, but it will also make it run at higher RPMs in top gear as well since all gears are affected so it will be a busy and inefficient highway cruiser.

They have done this with 1.6 CRDi Creta for example, by making every gear shorter than Verna, which has taken care of a lot of things like lag, and great low end performance but it feels relatively less relaxed at highway speeds even in 6th gear since this jugaad affects all gears, almost everyone who drives my car wants to upshift at around 100-120 KM/h as one can 'feel' a need for upshift there and the engine has scope to be much more relaxed, a lot of other cars have this as well where either with the 7 speed DCT or with 6 Speed AT, you will notice that since it is a different gearbox (number of gears is inconsequential here), the engine will run at a more relaxed RPM as compared with its jugaad manual version, like Brezza 6AT vs 5MT, 100 KM/h is at 2500 RPM vs 3000 RPM as far as I can remember.
Fascinating stuff!
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 11:42   #12
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of cars have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also gone here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Name:  i20.png
Views: 135
Size:  361.5 KB
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks