Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2024, 01:21   #1
BHPian

Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)

After being without a car in the US for 1.5+ years (I couldn't afford parking costs!) I finally ended the drought by purchasing this BMW 530i xDrive yesterday.

Huge thanks for BHPian mobike008 who helped in the purchase.

First thing which is on everyone's mind (and mine also) are the looks which are polarizing to say the least. I hated the looks so much that this generation was never considered and I first time I got into one and drove it was after I purchased it

However I think it looks better in real life than in the pics and looks stunning in this Phytonic Blue colour. Initially when the Fifth generation (E60) was launched in 2003 everyone disapproved of the looks but it gradually gained acceptance and I think the same will happen with this model.

Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-pxl_20240329_194937063.jpg

The front 3 quarters view I think is the best view of the vehicle.
Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-pxl_20240329_225801468.jpg

The massive front grill is shut when the car is off and opens when car is turned on. Not sure whats the purpose (to keep out dirt?) but one more thing that can possibly go wrong.
Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-pxl_20240329_220643751.jpg

After picking up the car drove straight to Swaminarayan Akshardham temple in New Jersey for a pooja.
Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-img20240329wa0012.jpg

I was searching for a nearly new (2023 G30) 530i xDrive and than 540i xDrive for 6+ months. I loved the looks of the old generation its classic interior. I was waiting for the new model to be launched so I can pickup the old one at a steal price. I test drove a few and was about to purchase one but I was traveling out of the country and the car was sold. I kept increasing my budget and finally not much was left between near new 2023 540i and a new 530i. Hence I finally decided to stretch my budget a bit and get a new one.

The newer model is bigger and wider and the same size of an older generation 7 series. It looks closer to the current generation 7 series (whose looks are absolutely hideous in my opinion).

Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-pxl_20240329_180751245.jpg

The keys look nice and you can use them to turn the car on (along with standard lock/unlock) and open the boot but they feel cheap and are similar quality to my 2017 Ciaz (sold).

Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-pxl_20240329_185718043.mp.jpg

Two huge screens replace the traditional instrument panel and this one of the reasons I was reluctant to buy this model however the transition has not been too difficult. Although I do find it annoying almost everything is through the central screen, even the heated steering wheel which is supper annoying to find when driving.

They have even replaced the seat memory controls and lock/unlock buttons with touch sensitive ones which takes some time getting used to but eventually you get used to it. The steering wheel is not round but more like a hexagonal which I think is odd but actually there is not much difference with the traditional round one. Steering is light and gets a bit heavier in sport mode.
Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-pxl_20240330_144741093.jpg

The car is powered by a 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder driving all 4 wheels along with a 48-volt hybrid system. It has 8-speed Sport Automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters and Launch Control (what am I supposed to do with that?). The engine develops 255 bhp and has a 0-60 Mph time of about 5.5-5.7 seconds (depends on the source) which is sufficient by my needs. I have driven about 160 miles (about 257 km) so far and getting a mileage of 33 mpg (14Km/l) so that should answer the "kitne deti hain" mileage questions.

Handling is sharp and the only two other cars in the segment that I drove were the Audi A6 and the older G30 5 series. The Audi I think is better for cruising while the 5 series is better for more enthusiastic driving. I have driven the BMW X3, X4 and BMW 430i xDrive for a few days and I believe the handling is sharper than the first two.

I will update the thread as I drive the car more and get more familiar with the long list of features. One of the most interesting ones is that I can turn the car and air conditioning on/off and see the interior and exterior views through the numerous cameras using the BMW app from anywhere in the world (as long as you have internet).

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st March 2024 at 11:56. Reason: Minor spacing edits around brackets.
Foxbat is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 01:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)

Congratulations on your purchase! That's a really nice colour. Wishing you many pleasurable miles with your 5 series. Please do keep us updated on how user friendly the infotainment system turns out to be in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
The massive front grill is shut when the car is off and opens when car is turned on. Not sure whats the purpose (to keep out dirt?)
Upon startup, the active grille (as BMW calls it) opens and closes once. Then, the active grille opens only when the engine needs additional cooling. Otherwise, it stays closed for better aerodynamics (and while the engine is cold, allowing it to warm up faster).

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 31st March 2024 at 01:32.
GForceEnjoyer is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 01:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! That's a really nice colour. Wishing you many pleasurable miles with your 5 series. Please do keep us updated on how user friendly the infotainment system turns out to be in the long run.
Thank you! I have the head up display (shows music tracks/source) which comes with the premium package so I can keep my eyes on the road while changing music through the steering wheel. Accessing the controls through the screen has been a pain so far especially when the car is moving.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st March 2024 at 11:54.
Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 14:10   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the G60 - I think it is the first car of this generation in the forum!

Although I initially thought the rear three quarter had an odd trapeziodial shape, and the front grill was a tad too big, the looks of the car are slowly growing on me. The silhouette overall looks somehow sharper than the current crop of BMWs on our roads. The quality, fit and finish of the interiors seem to have gone one notch further up!

It's great to hear that BMW is bringing the 530i and the 540i tunes to the USA, raising hopes that similar tunes may become available in India - against the current trend of BMW down sizing and de-tuning their engines for India. The worst thing possible is they only introduce the 520i and 520D In India. That too on a long wheelbase version of the car, which would make it quite slow and under powered.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 15:43   #5

Contrary to popular opinion, I fell in love with the G60 gen of 5 Series the first time I saw it. Love your color choice as well, I think BMW has always been great in making their shades of blue more attractive than others. BMW has finally gotten their mojo back in terms of interior design as well. Great purchase and you have validation from a fellow BMW head. Although I can’t buy this segment’s car right now, it’s still great seeing them around. Nothing beats a well proportioned sedan.
vids2590 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 22:09   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on the new 5. The flat bottom steering looks really cool and happy that BMW is finally giving this in their cars. I hear India should be getting the LWB, to an already longer car, and probably will even soften that suspension for the backseat. The Photonic Blue looks very good.
Old 1st April 2024, 00:45   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulation Foxbat. Happy to help !!

Glad to see that your dream is finally realized. It's a great choice as the 5-series is the perfect combination of driving dynamics coupled with space needed for the family without sacrificing the sedan-body shape.

Glad that you chose this color as well- I have this strange quirk that of a certain color associated with a particular brand. Like the "Blue" is for BMW.

Wish you many happy miles with it and look forward to seeing regular updates of this beautiful car.

Cheers and Goodluck !!
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 03:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations.

I gotto say, this new 5 Series is now the size of the old 7 Series! That front end looks massive.

Are those mechanical flappy door handles or do you need to push something below them to release the door? Nice to see these back. I find them elegant as they sit flush to the body.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 04:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Congratulations on the G60 - I think it is the first car of this generation in the forum!

The worst thing possible is they only introduce the 520i and 520D In India. That too on a long wheelbase version of the car, which would make it quite slow and under powered.
Thank you. So although my car is called a 530i it actually has a 255 bhp turbo charged 2.0 liter engine. I think the same car is sold as a 520i in Europe and probably in India soon with the same engine but putting out less power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vids2590 View Post
Although I can’t buy this segment’s car right now, it’s still great seeing them around. Nothing beats a well proportioned sedan.
Thanks and you will get one soon! My first car was a 3rd hand Alto Lx from Maruti True Value

Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-i17087.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Congratulations on the new 5. The flat bottom steering looks really cool and happy that BMW is finally giving this in their cars. I hear India should be getting the LWB, to an already longer car, and probably will even soften that suspension for the backseat. The Photonic Blue looks very good.
Thanks, I think the LWB isn't really needed there is plenty of legroom at the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congratulation Foxbat. Happy to help !!

Glad to see that your dream is finally realized. It's a great choice as the 5-series is the perfect combination of driving dynamics coupled with space needed for the family without sacrificing the sedan-body shape.

Cheers and Goodluck !!
Thanks again for all you help you saved me a lot $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Congratulations.

I gotto say, this new 5 Series is now the size of the old 7 Series! That front end looks massive.

Are those mechanical flappy door handles or do you need to push something below them to release the door? Nice to see these back. I find them elegant as they sit flush to the body.
Yes its actually the size of an older generation 7 series with a generous space at the rear. The car is 5060 mm long and the G11 7 series (sold 2015-2022) was 5098 mm long. You have to pull the door handles upwards like traditional ones.

The car can be locked by the key fob, BMW app or just pulling the handle upwards when you have the key.

I'm 5'11 and I have the drivers seat set accordingly and there is plenty of room at the rear for another 5'11 person. Leg space is pretty generous and I really don't think a LWB version is needed for most people.

Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-pxl_20240331_225221807.jpg

Last edited by Foxbat : 1st April 2024 at 05:11.
Foxbat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 07:34   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on the new 5 series, she is a beauty. Wish you infinite miles of happy & safe driving.

The front grill closing aids in aerodynamics, by reducing drag. The older 5 series (G30) had one of the lowest drag coefficients, 0.22 IIRC.
rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 08:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So although my car is called a 530i it actually has a 255 bhp turbo charged 2.0 liter engine. I think the same car is sold as a 520i in Europe and probably in India soon with the same engine but putting out less power.
Congratulations on the G60 530i, looks great. Wishing you many happy miles with it.

It is the B48 engine that is doing duty in all 30i models back here in India close to a decade now. US market always gets a different naming convention, another example would be the 30d from Europe/India being sold as 40d in the US.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 16:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The worst thing possible is they only introduce the 520i and 520D In India. That too on a long wheelbase version of the car, which would make it quite slow and under powered.
Highly likely that 520i or 520d tune would be launched in India. Specifically looking at their previous launches with X1 18i and 18d, X3 now only in 20d or highly potent M40i.
Sid9306 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:05   #13
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations to you @Foxbat for your bimmer!
What is the tune of your 30i? Is it the B58 twin turbo?

Surprisingly, I always thought that the 5 series paves the way for the X5 updates as it is in that order that they were introduced, but to me it seems the other way around this time. If you notice the front headlights of the G05 X5 LCI, they are inline to this new gen 5 series. The same concept is carried into the interiors as well. Would that mean the X5 LCI is a lot more than just a facelift as the design cues are equivalent to the new gen sibling? I maybe wrong but i definitely hope so as it should indicate another 3+ years before the next gen X5 is launched? (Also that would justify the 20L+ increment in prices of X5 LCI )

I have attached the front images of both to make my case -
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-x5.jpeg  

Initial Review: 2024 BMW 530i xDrive (G60)-5-series.jpeg  

gamingstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. So although my car is called a 530i it actually has a 255 bhp turbo charged 2.0 liter engine. I think the same car is sold as a 520i in Europe and probably in India soon with the same engine but putting out less power.
Congrats on the new ride Foxbat. I never fully understood why this new design was considered controversial among BMW enthusiasts, I loved it since the initial pictures were out!

About the variant, the European 520i is indeed detuned to 208 PS (205 BHP). The 520i has always been a popular base model (parallel to the Mercedes E200) which was never available in the US. With this new generation, the 530i isn't available in many countries in Europe as the 530e is a lot more popular due to the tax benefits.

India got both the 520i and 530i at various points, so it is anybody's guess which one will eventually make it!
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 23:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingstein View Post
Hearty Congratulations to you @Foxbat for your bimmer!
What is the tune of your 30i? Is it the B58 twin turbo?

-
Thanks!

Copying my response from the Spotted in India - New G60 BMW 5 Series thread:

The B48 Turbo Charged 2.0 Liter engine is in the 530i and puts out 255 bhp and in the xDrive version of the car does 0-60 MPH (about 100 km/h) in about 5.5 seconds and has great economy and I think should be a good choice for the Indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Congrats on the new ride Foxbat. I never fully understood why this new design was considered controversial among BMW enthusiasts, I loved it since the initial pictures were out!
Thank you, the front is a bit in your face in the pictures but looks better in person.
Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks