Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2024, 18:20   #1
BHPian

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition

Hello BHPians
NCR's 10-year diesel rule and frequent bans on the plying of diesel vehicles in the winter, coupled with an intrinsic desire to own a true luxury car meant we were in the market for a new car. We were 'upgrading' from our 2.8 Z, 150 HP Innova Crysta, which was even recently serviced and in pristine condition. Honestly, it felt wrong to even sell it considering how well of a state it was in but it is what it is - anyways the new car had big shoes to fill. (Also do note I'm writing from the perspective of a 17 y/o so all driving anecdotes are from my father's point of view)

Selection Process

We initially began with a budget of 35-40 lacs and were considering a used (within 4 years) German petrol. The first car my dad test-drove was a 2020 BMW X1 from Spinny, and although it was more refined, he didn't find it to be a definite step above our crysta with its powerful 2.8 l. Though the looks were on point, the interior, perhaps because it was getting somewhat dated, didn't have the charm he was looking for. Although he considered it we had to try something else.

My father decided to extend his budget (by quite a bit) and got in touch with one of the many Audi dealers in NCR, who happened to have a Technology Audi A4 in a stunning dark grey. A test drive was arranged and right from the first impressions our inclination changed. The interior had much more of a premium feel and the sound system (Bang and Olufsen) was wonderful. The 2L 208 HP engine was smooth and powerful, and the gearbox made the shifts almost indiscernible - as my dad put it, if the Innova pulled like a Lion then the Audi sprinted like a cheetah. Being in the rear it was comfortable and spacious and the deal we were getting was great. The caveat was that it was a demo car with ~10k km on the Odo, which isn't too much but we all know how demo cars are abused. Nevertheless, we put down a deposit to book the car for a couple of days and explored a few other options.

BMW's offering was particularly disappointing. Although we did try the 3 Series Gran Limousine (which was awesome) since we were at the showroom, it was well beyond what we were willing to spend, so the only other option was the new X1. The design and features aren't too bad but shame on BMW for offering a 3-cylinder 135 HP engine for ~60 lacs otr. It's honestly disrespectful as an enthusiast. The car felt massively underpowered and while the shifts were smooth the engine was a massive disappointment, so despite any possible discounts we weren't considering it.

Merc's GLA would be over-budget and the A class's design was a deal breaker, so Mercedes was out of the window too.

Audi's pre-approved site had a 2019 built, 2020 registered white Audi A6 with 46.6k km on the dash. Knowing that the A6 is a complete segment above anything we'd looked at until now we did think of it, but after consulting a few experienced friends we decided not to pursue it because of possible maintenance issues down the line and the fact that it was used, after all.

It was around this point that we were contacted by Audi Delhi West who were offering :

1.) An Audi A4, technology variant in Tango red - which appealed to 17y/o me but my family (and perhaps many others, which is probably why it was offered at a discount) didn't think it would be an apt colour for our main car...so not it then.

2.) An Audi Q3 Sportback in Chronos grey: This immediately piqued my father's interest because he prefers SUVs (or at the very least cars with some more ground clearance) over sedans. Moreover this, like the aforementioned A4, would be brand-new and not a demo model.

A home test drive was promptly arranged by Audi West Delhi, and since my father liked it, we decided to book it after negotiations.

A looker...
Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-turnt-blurred.jpg

Before I dive into the details here's a brief list of Pros & Cons I think worth mentioning:

Pros:
  • Engine, Gearbox & Performance - Best among Competitors (Petrol X1 & GLA, 2024
  • Quattro AWD System - Useful in Low traction situations
  • Brilliant Design and Styling - Looks great from all angles
  • Build Quality, good fit & finish - no noticeable panel gaps either
  • 5-star safety rating & equipment (6 airbags + a host of electronic aids
  • Quality of Materials used in the Interior, and Ambience

Cons:
  • Height - Even though the Q3 SB is officially an SUV, it isn't a tall car, standing at about 5'1.5" only.
  • No Bang & Olufsen Sound System - This is offered on the top variant of the A4 but not on the Q3 SB. Audi's 180W, 10 Speaker System is competent but the B&O System is still missed.
  • Rear Headroom, Recline, Legroom - Although this shouldn't be an issue, taller passengers might face issues.
  • Lack of Memory Seats - Again, another feature available on the A4, which the Q3 doesn't get.
  • No heated/ventilated/massaging seats - Considering that the heart of the vehicle is shared with the Tiguan & Kodiaq, one would expect such a feature to be included while paying extra for an Audi.
  • No cooled glovebox/sunglass-cubbyhole - Surprising considering the Crysta had them.

Sharp Contours around the rear...
Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-np-replaced.jpg

Driving Dynamics

The heart of the vehicle (engine and gearbox) is the same as the VW Tiguan and the Skoda Tiguan, boasting 190 HP and 320 NM of torque, and a claimed 0-100kph time of 7.3 s. Never tested but it sure is rapid.

The Q3 Sportback gets a Haldex Quattro system, which from what I’ve read means that it’s relatively forward-biased and more of a ‘reactive’ AWD system - which inspires confidence during fast cornering and limited traction situations.

The gearbox is a 7-speed DCT but I’ll tell you my experience. We went on test drives with the A4 Technology (top), Q3 Premium (base) and Q3 SB. While the shifts in the SB and A4 (best in the A4) were smooth, they were discernable in the Q3 base model. It’s like a split-second hesitation in shifting to higher gears at speed, which I haven’t felt in the SB till now. It could very well be placebo but anecdotally we felt it. And no, there isn’t turbo-lag.
It looks great, is refined, and goes like a beast. The throttle response is instant and powerful, making it a test of self-control on empty roads. The Innova was comfortable, but larger bumps and unevenness were still felt, (perhaps due to its body-on-frame design or suspension type, can't say). Compared to that the Audi dampens everything and the ride is extremely composed. It also has progressive steering (variable steering ratio) but I can't describe it as I haven't driven it :/. There are paddle shifters but they’re plastic and more of a gimmick.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-img20240223wa0008.jpg

We haven’t been on long trips yet (so can’t give highway mileage) but it cruises at 120kph quite effortlessly on the Delhi-Mumbai expressway.
The Q3 SB gets 5 driving modes: Auto, Comfort, Dynamic, Offroad, and Individual.
In Individual mode you can vary your steering and throttle response as per preference, but not the suspension.
In comfort mode, it's been able to achieve an incredible 14 kmpl after conservative driving! (claimed - 14.9). For context, it's driven around 34 km per day in moderate to heavy traffic depending on the time, averaging 12-13 kmpl. (~500 km covered at the time of writing this)

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-engine.jpg

Also, Auto-hold is handy at red lights meaning one can let go of the brakes and not worry - although note that this is only available for MY2024, ours is a MY2023 (end of last year, which is part of the reason we got a deal). We unfortunately found this out the hard way whilst driving home after delivery. Apart from that the 2 model years are virtually the same.

Design

The first thing you notice about a car is its size and undoubtedly many will be put off because it’s not a tall vehicle. Although it is a long car (XUV700 is about 7 inches longer) it is only about 5’1.5” tall so that took getting used to. If asked, one would call it more of a crossover/raised hatchback than a proper SUV.

Apart from that, I think the design and styling is brilliant. We went with Chronos Grey because that was the one with a discount but personally I like Navarra Blue the best. The coupe roofline isn’t seen often but it does give it a sportier appearance from the side. Unlike the standard Q3, the grille has a hexagonal pattern with chrome inserts rather than vertical slats. The front bumper and trim pieces are also different giving the SB a more aggressive expression (especially with the DRLs).

The rear too is styled differently, since we get a fake diffuser rather than fake exhausts :/. It looks good but it is plastic which takes away from an otherwise premium finish. Dynamic indicators are standard but still appreciated.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-untitled.jpg

Like the Q3, the Q3 SB gets 18-inch alloys but with a different design. And this is where I have to fault Audi – I understand Indian roads don’t warrant lower-profile tires, but the rims could’ve been so much better. The standard Q3’s rims are disappointing and the SB’s are better but aren’t as good as they could've been.
At the very least different designs/black rims (which would’ve suited grey more) should be on offer? Just look at Audi’s website/press photos v/s what we actually get.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-alloys.jpg

For the extra cost, you get the coupe design and the ‘S-line’ exterior styling package, which basically comprises the aforementioned design changes, and ‘S-line’ badging on the sides & door scuff plates.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-scuff-plate.jpg

However, Audi doesn’t offer the black optics styling package in India (black trim pieces instead of chrome), which in my opinion would’ve suited grey more. Currently, only black badges can be purchased as an accessory. Ideally, paying extra just for design should include such options right?

Passenger door is open here hence the slight misalignment...Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-20240301_221224.jpg

While the Q3 gets a panoramic sunroof, the SB only gets a ‘normal’ sunroof, a compromise one has to make for the unique roofline.
So overall I’d say that while the Audi Q3 Sportback looks brilliant as it is, with the right styling choices, it could’ve been an absolute head-turner.

Interior

Earlier I’d mentioned how it’s all VW underneath – but the difference in interior makes up for the fact that the internals are shared to such a large extent.

The Q3 Sportback’s interior gets leather seats, leatherette upholstery and 30 shades of ambient lighting, so it is a nice place to be in. The use of high-quality materials is evident and also much appreciated is the tactile buttons, especially after the capacitive-touch switches that Mercedes is doing nowadays.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-peeche.jpg

Rear- Compared to the Innova, which had captain seats in the rear that could be reclined to almost 180°, the rear seats can't be reclined nearly as much (although this would be true for most 5-seaters). The maximum recline position is comfortable but on long trips, I'll probably end up sitting awkwardly to relax. There is a centre armrest with cupholders, and while there are 3 seatbelts it’s best for 2 people only. Rear legroom and headroom are fine (despite the lower roof), but will be an issue for people above 6’2”; especially if the front passengers are tall as well. There is decent underthigh support and ample storage with extra space for phones/wallets etc wedged between the door and the seats – apart from the storage within the door itself. There are rear A/C vents but the lack of USB charging ports for the rear passengers is disappointing.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-rear-int.jpg

Front- I will admit, it is more of a driver’s car. The front seats are electrically adjustable with 4-way lumbar support while the rear ones are in a 60-40 split (sliding). No heated/ventilated seats which is again not expected at more than half a crore. Still, the seats are very comfortable and the cabin feels worth the price. Headroom and legroom are rarely an issue for front seats so no point mentioning that.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-int..jpg

There are 2 choices for interior colour – brown and beige. Ours has beige (closer to white) which looks neat but will get dirtier, quicker. Also worth mentioning is that there’s no dedicated place for sunglasses which the Crysta did have.

Essentially the interior is plush and it, combined with the Audi brand value, is perhaps the main reason to choose the Q3/Q3 SB over VW’s/Skoda’s offerings if one has to consider it.

Sound System

The Sportback, despite being the top variant of the Q3, doesn't get the Bang&Olufsen sound system as the A4's top version gets; however, it does get Audi's in-house (and extremely competent) 180 W surround sound system with 10 speakers. The sound quality is impeccable & there isn't a noticeable difference. The speakers are decent (much better than our Crysta tbh), so not a big deal to miss out on the B&O.

Basic List of Features & Accessories

There is a wireless charging pad but surprisingly Andriod Auto/Apple Carplay (which is a pretty basic feature nowadays) only works while plugged in via USB. Defeats the point of wireless charging, but everyday use doesn’t require navigation so it isn’t a deal breaker. Cupholders and storage under the centre armrest are decent but there is no cooled glovebox/compartment – that’s an optional extra. The 10.25-inch centre console display is sharp and responsive, but even better is the 12.3-inch Audi Virtual Cockpit. (Note the absence of a Heads-up display). It can be customized to display almost anything the driver could want, but my dad keeps it in Speedo + Tach mode. Interestingly the speedo goes up to 280kph but I have no idea how close to that it’ll go (brochure states 220), and top speed is something for NATRAX to figure out, not us on the highways.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-280.jpg

Alt view (there's more which I haven't included)
Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-display-alt.jpg

Other than that, there's auto-dimming mirrors, automatic windows, gesture-controlled boot unlock (& close), passive entry, 2-zone climate control, traction control, hill assist, voice assistant that actually works, etc. Rest is standard and pretty commonplace. Do note the lack of Memory Seats which is available on the A4 Technology.

There's also an 18-inch space saver under the boot (with tools included) which is quite necessary I feel. Speaking of the boot, bootspace is not compromised despite the slanting roof (claimed 530 L like the Q3), but practically you won't be able to stack suitcases as high up.

In terms of accessories, we went for doorstep illumination, dynamic hubcaps, floormats, and of course, Audi Merch because why not? They threw all this together for a deal so we went for it.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-20240229_010520.jpg

Safety

Front & Rear Camera+Sensors (they call it park assist, but essentially it just beeps when things come to close), ISOFIX child seat anchors, 6 Airbags, TPMS, and a 5-star crash rating. Something we felt is that the doors feel much better built (& heavier) than our Crysta's doors. Closing them is satisfying but soft-close doors would've been nice (I understand that's usually for more expensive models). There's not much to mention here, to be honest. It’s safe.
NVH levels are pretty good, a major improvement coming from a diesel Crysta. There's silver heat shielding & foam insulation in the engine bay which plays a role in it ... though tire noise can make its way into the cabin at higher highway speeds unless masked by music.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-swastik-edited.jpg

Delivery Experience

The folks at Audi Delhi West were particularly helpful and their follow-ups were a part of why we finalized with them rather than nearer dealers. In fact they even offered me a drive before I told them I was 17 . They arranged 2 home test drives and even sent a Q5 to chauffeur us to the showroom on the day of delivery as we'd sold the Innova 2 days prior and the 2nd car (Swift) was out for servicing - all while being located an hour away. Delivery included pretty much what you see nowadays (unveiling, a massive cardboard key for some reason, etc). All in all a positive experience with them.

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-offroad.jpeg

We got graphene ceramic paint protection done (aftermarket) and now it looks more stunning than ever. Here are more pics:

Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-img20240223wa0009.jpg

Slight Positive Camber?
Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition-alien-jpg.jpg

Conclusion

The Audi Q3 is perhaps the best offering among its competitors, the X1 and petrol GLA, considering what is offered at the price. While the Q3 Sportback is a lakh rupees more expensive just for design – which is flamboyant no doubt – we only finalized it because we were getting the best deal with the SB rather than the normal Q3. I would personally recommend going for the Q3 Technology and spending the extra money on better rims if you don’t find the coupe & styling particularly appealing.

This marks the end of the 'review'... I’ve been as comprehensive as possible, & hope it helps. This is it for now, cheers.

Last edited by sh3lby : 6th March 2024 at 17:55.
sh3lby is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 18:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audi Q3 Sportback Review | Our New Acquisition

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 10:54   #3

You are right Sh3bly. Though the Q3 came in 2 years late to the market they were quick to offer the sport back. It has the best drive train when compared to the X1 and GLA. Wishing the family the very best of times with the car.
Motorhead3321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 12:36   #4

Welcome to the Audi family! Our 2013 Q3 just soldiered on into it's 11th year of service. 1.4L km, one DQ380, and suspension replacement later, this car simply doesn't feel old. Maintain and love the car religiously, and it'll love you back. Audi must've provided the missing features and undercut the competition, in true Audi fashion of yesteryear. I was offered a test drive of the new Q3 when it was launched, and I must say that the changes are only incremental. The refreshed interior design was great to see, but nothing about the car "wow"-ed me so much that I would've instantly given up our decade old Q3 for the new one. But in all fairness, the new Q3 is perhaps the best offering in the compact luxury crossover segment. The GLA continues to live in it's own world of delusion (72L OTR, really Mercedes? The GLC used to cost that must 5y ago), and the new X1 is so, so disappointing (nice interior, but the performance is abysmal and that face is something only a mother could love).

Congrats and here's to many happy miles!
Fuel Of Satan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 12:43   #5

Congratulations !!
I was absolutely smitten when I had first seen this model in same color on the road for the first time, couple of months ago.
This is the audi I want to own someday.
happymover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 13:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

I had read your post asking for suggestions a few days back and I'm happy that you managed to get a brand new car instead of an overpriced demo car. Congrats and enjoy the ride.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 18:06   #7

Congrats on the new acquisition, I have a 2016 model Q3, after 3 tyre changes and one time change of suspension struts, the car runs like a dream, never gives a feeling of driving a 8 year old, in my opinion the performance has not diminished a wee bit.
Yes, it needs a through upkeep and loving care but you receive it back in multiples.
AudiFan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 19:29   #8
BANNED

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Audi Q3.
Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.

I tried messaging you via mail but there is no option.
Are you selling 2.8Z?
Old 11th March 2024, 22:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar View Post
Hi,
Congratulations on your new Audi Q3.
Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.

I tried messaging you via mail but there is no option.
Are you selling 2.8Z?

Sorry mate the Crysta's started a new life now
sh3lby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 14:04   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3lby View Post
Sorry mate the Crysta's started a new life now
Sorry for the diversion from this thread.
What was the used car price for 2.8Z in Delhi if pick from owner. Any idea, kindly share, it will be very helpful.
Old 12th March 2024, 17:18   #11
BHPian

13 Lacs. Would've been higher if the documents stated only 1 owner, but the Crysta was bought under my father's organization name and then transferred to his name after 5 years of ownership. Although the car was 'ours' the entire time, with our money, the documents stating owner 1: INSERT COMPANY then Us as owner 2 screwed us over.
Also am aware we could've got a higher price down South but we couldn't deal with the hassle.
Old 12th March 2024, 22:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiFan View Post
Congrats on the new acquisition, I have a 2016 model Q3, after 3 tyre changes and one time change of suspension struts, the car runs like a dream, never gives a feeling of driving a 8 year old, in my opinion the performance has not diminished a wee bit.
Yes, it needs a through upkeep and loving care but you receive it back in multiples.
Great to see the affection for the lovely four rings! I too would like to keep my car for long too but always hear these become a money drain after 6-7 years. My now old Honda barely asked for any repair barring general maintenance until now in its 12th year where front suspension change and steering rack repair (causing a collective rattle) set me back by ~40k but that seems okay not just in absolute spend, but also it got the car into almost new condition and seems I can keep the car at the very least till registration expiry if not the 5 year renewal. Any numbers you can share you have spent for upkeep of the Q3 so far, and what do you think you may have to spend if you keep it for another 5-7 years?
EDIT - Sorry, forgot to multi-quote FUEL OF SATAN’s post too, please feel free to chime in if you see this message,

Last edited by Lux_Noob : 12th March 2024 at 23:01.
Lux_Noob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 13:02   #13

well, I have typically spent about 50K over each annual service, but during mid 2023 I had to spend close to Rs. 1.6 Lakhs on replacing few suspension related parts when it was 59K kms on the odometer. Tyre replacement used to cost about 30K for all 4 tyres, but the latest purchase cost about 52 K for Michelin tyres.
Sorry, I am not tech savy when it comes to automobile maintenance, my son usually takes care of the maintenance part of all our 3 cars and I get to derive the advantage and pleasure of driving trouble free cars.
Old 21st June 2024, 16:12   #14
BHPian

Congratulations sh3lby

The Q3 is fantastic product, it has a no nonsense performance, great interiors, all the must have features are present and to top it off, almost nails all the boxes that you expect from the segment.

To add to it the Q3 SB, just further accentuates the already good looking SUV into a great looking SUV.

I quite agree with you on the B&O, Audi should not have skipped the B&O considering the A4 does get it. Auto Hold is something that Audi was stupid enough to skip to begin with, glad that they added that feature.

Congratulations on the Q3 SB, and here's wishing you miles and miles of safe motoring.

Cheers,
NS
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks