Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2024, 19:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
While researching throttle controllers, I came across few reviews where folks had posted about similar issue. Their trucks (Toyotas IIRC) went into limp mode while climbing/crawling uphill. Turned out to be faulty throttle controller that was causing this behaviour and after replacing/removing the controller, everything was back to normal. Do check if your evcX is the culprit.
Thank you for this procrj. It was not exactly limp mode, it turned off. But I get your point. I've faced this issue only once. Will keep an eye out for this next time and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid18 View Post
Hi, the mods are looking great. where did you get the convex mirror from? I am looking for a similar one. Could you please share any link?
I ordered it on Amazon Japan website and a friend hand carried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Nice to see that you are using your car the way it is meant to be.
Thanks. Otherwise there's no point right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran View Post
I just got one recently in the same color and added the roof rack and ladder. The roof rack gives the car a bit more height, however sometimes i feel its a bit overkill and negates the cuteness of the Jimny to a certain extent. It also gets some wind noise while going downhill at around 80km and above.
Thanks Catamaran. I did think of a roof rack and a ladder. However, my usage doesn't really necessitate those right now. It'll be just an aesthetic item and I don't see that value in it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Congrats Hemanth and that is quite a detailed review. How are the mods holding up and do you have any buyers remorse on some of them?
Regarding the accessories on the car, I don't have any remorse. But there were some other items that I ordered and wish I hadn't and hence they didn't go on the car

Fuel lid cover.
Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-61sgrm36l._ac_uf8941000_ql80_fmwebp_.jpg
I felt like an idiot when I actually opened it. The small chamfer on one side is to accommodate the wheelarch of 3-door Jimny and the fuel lid is a full rectangle in our 5-door Jimny

Key cover
Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-51hajxgjfil._ac_uf350350_ql80_fmwebp_.jpg
I liked this cover very much but to my surprise our key is slightly thicker and the top and bottom pieces of this cover doesn't lock together with the key placed inside. I even tried it with a Baleno's key. Probably Japanese key fob is thinner.

Mobile holder.
Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-61oarq6ietl._ac_uf8941000_ql80_fmwebp_.jpg
This was too long for my liking and it protrudes too much in front and hence I bought a different one later.

While the Bonnet strut also turned out to be useless due to the addition of Snorkel, I could return it. The above three came from Japan and returning was not simple, and hence it is lying with me.

Quote:
How does your wife like the car?
She's liking it. Initially she found it big and was hesitant to take it in narrow bylanes but not she's got used to it.
Her two major complaints are missing seat height adjustment and the bigger turning radius. The turning radius is mostly an irritant in tight U-turns (which there are aplenty in Bengaluru). I'm looking at how to get the seat height adjustment done for her. Ignis or Wagon R seat frames are probable options but I'll have to do some detailed study before doing it.

Quote:
Lastly you do look like Team Bhps own Rishab Shetty
Whoa! That's a first! Thanks anyways

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 2nd January 2024 at 19:49.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 20:09   #17
BANNED

Such a well-written and unbiased review. Really made me smile the whole time. Could you please give some more details about the LED fog lamps? Pricing and link if possible.
Old 2nd January 2024, 20:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No worrY - The story of our Jimny AT

Lovely review and wish you a happy ownership with your Jimny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I've to mention about the voice assistant. There is a Suzuki voice assistant that wakes up with "Hi Suzuki" voice command or using the button on the steering wheel. But when Android auto is connected, it says "Goodbye" and closes. I tried without android auto and I must say the voice recognisiton is really poor. it understands hardly anything. I didn't find any option to set the default voice assistant to Google. ...
You can activate Google assistant when Android auto is connected by long pressing the voice button on the steering wheel. I was struggling with this too till someone helped with this tip on the forum.

Since you have been ordering quite a bit stuff off Amazon Japan, the gearshift area storage tray from Japan is of much better quality than the plasticky ones being sold here. Check it out - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5634785 (Maruti Jimny Review)
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 10:38   #19
BHPian

What a well written and insightful review, I think this is probably the most unbiased and factual review around so Thank you Hemant! I am getting my Jimny this Friday and am super pumped.

I was unaware that the Alpha AT spare is an alloy, in fact had told my sales guy that i want to purchase an extra alloy for the stepney as i hate the cover when i take delivery of my car and even he was not aware till i read your review and called him yesterday to ask to double check :-). Also thank you for sharing details on the accessories installed, I may be in Japan over the next few months and am looking at getting many of these.

I noticed that you have may have another mobile holder installed between the RPM counter and the Audio Screen, is this the case? I did see a similar product on amazon.jp and was considering the same so wanted to check your experience with that and also the armrest please. Are you running a dash-cam? I was considering the 70MAI A500S. Thank you!

PS: I have been an avid reader of all of your travelogues in the past and look forward to read many more in the future with the Jimny. I fondly remember you signing of one of your travelogues by sharing the birth of your daughter, so lovely to see her all grown up, time sure does fly! I also live around the Kanakapura road area and interestingly also have my coffee plantation near Hanbal-Sakaleshpur. It would be great to catch up sometime on a trail together with our Jimny's.

Cheers,
Kiran
Caadmara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 11:03   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No worrY - The story of our Jimny AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
You can activate Google assistant when Android auto is connected by long pressing the voice button on the steering wheel. I was struggling with this too till someone helped with this tip on the forum.
Thank you so much for this. It works and it is a big relief.

I've another experience that I'm totally been baffled with and unable to figure out. It's about the beeps. There are multiple beeps that I hear in the car especially on the Highway. Not at all able to understand
The single beep at 80kph and continuous beeps at 120kph is fine.

Apart from this, there is a single beep coming at 90kph when the speed starts coming down from above 100kph and above. Also I hear a single beep when the speed is coming down from 120kph and above.

Apart from these there are other random beeps that have no pattern whatsoever. Sometimes it appears as Lane departure warning or others it seems like a blind spot. But I'm sure they are non of those. I've still not been able to solve this mystery. Would like to hear from other Jimny owners if they've experienced this or know what exactly they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post
I was unaware that the Alpha AT spare is an alloy, in fact had told my sales guy that i want to purchase an extra alloy for the stepney as i hate the cover when i take delivery of my car and even he was not aware till i read your review and called him yesterday to ask to double check :-).
The spare is definitely an alloy. if you remove the cover, make sure you remove another piece with a positioning pin also. After that, all you need to do is order a hub cap to complete the look.

Quote:
I noticed that you have may have another mobile holder installed between the RPM counter and the Audio Screen, is this the case? I did see a similar product on amazon.jp and was considering the same so wanted to check your experience with that and also the armrest please. Are you running a dash-cam? I was considering the 70MAI A500S. Thank you!
That mobile holder is nice. not at all intrusive and compact and functional in portrait mode. For landscape mode it blocks the main ICE screen. I use this mobile holder only. the other one on the left is mainly for the navigator.
The armrest is good in terms of the assembly because it slots in easily into the cup holders. no drilling nothing. But because of that, there is some shake too. Overall it is decent and much better than having nothing.
I had Purchased the DDPAI mini2 in 2018 for the Alto and was happy with it. I just took it out and put it here

Quote:
PS: I have been an avid reader of all of your travelogues in the past and look forward to read many more in the future with the Jimny. I fondly remember you signing of one of your travelogues by sharing the birth of your daughter, so lovely to see her all grown up, time sure does fly! I also live around the Kanakapura road area and interestingly also have my coffee plantation near Hanbal-Sakaleshpur. It would be great to catch up sometime on a trail together with our Jimny's.
That's nice to hear. we'll catchup sometime.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 3rd January 2024 at 11:16.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 18:07   #21
BHPian

@ Hemanth - really enjoyable review and very well written and documented. Love the accessories that you have fitted. I have a white alpha automatic bought in September. Mine is completely stock except for a throttle controller from EVC just like yours. Wishing you happy riding with your Jimny
sanhan10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 21:21   #22
BHPian

Great review. Your passion for off roading and this very capable vehicle really comes through.

Regarding this below point:

A sports mode or option to change gears manually would’ve been so much better. That said, the vehicle cruises comfortably at 100kmph which is good enough for me. Anything beyond 110kmph is like a stretch and the engine doesn’t like it.

Having owned an AT S-cross with the same transmission, you can use the “OD” button on the shifter to drop down to 3rd and then to 2 and 1 (L) to operate it somewhat in manual mode.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 13:07   #23
BHPian

First of all congratulations on your new car. A well written ownership review which will clear almost all the queries one has when making a purchase decision. Also the photos are of excellent quality. Eagerly waiting to read more quality articles from you. All the best and keep on munching miles.
Kkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 19:21   #24
BHPian

Great review Hemant! The mods are functional, minimal and tastefully done. Your thread will be the reference point for my mods if I ever buy one. Thanks for sharing. The pictures are great as well!
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 11:03   #25
BHPian

I read your booking experience and the whole review like a story and enjoyed it a lot. Good to see honest review and all the accessories you have in your car. 👍
Draunzer21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 11:46   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend the car crossed 10k kms and earlier this week it went for the 3rd free service.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-img20240120wa003301.jpeg
10k in 4months 2 weeks

I had booked appointment a couple of days earlier. It was promptly picked up on time, all steps were informed and costs explained before carrying out the service.

Engine oil, Oil filter and AC filter were replaced. The bill was close to ₹2900.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240124_220014.jpg
Service bill

I had mentioned that the driver seat floor mats have no hooks. Over phone, the service advisor told he'll check. Later he called and told that they've to cut the floor mat and put bolts and install it. By the way he explained, I wasn't sure if he was talking about the same hook that I was referring to so I told him to keep the hook in the car and I'll get it installed later. So he kept it in the car during delivery. Will get it installed sometime later. I was impressed that this is available as a spare.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240126_104729.jpg
Floor mat hooks

Overall, the service experience was satisfactory although the basic waterwash is poor (water stains all over).
Whatever they miss, MSIL service centers these days do not miss one thing...disconnecting the dashcam!

Two weeks ago, I added the transfer lever extender accessory from Swastikfabs. Now, shifting from 4H and 4L is a lot more easier. The added 6cm of length gives a leverage which makes it easier to press and pull down the lever. But it doesn't obstruct the driver in any way (atleast in my AT). Installation was easy too - remove the 2H-4H-N-4L marking cover on the knob, use an allen key to remove a small bolt. After the knob is removed, add the extension lever and assemble everything back.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240126_104804.jpg
Transfer case lever extender

I also added the radial arm guards.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240126_105325.jpg
Rear radial cup guard

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240126_105335.jpg
Front radial cup guard

Additionally, I added this small snorkel cover as an additional protection from dust and water

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240127_114856.jpg
Dust and rain cover for snorkel

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 27th January 2024 at 11:57.
hemanth.anand is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 13:23   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Last weekend the car crossed 10k kms and earlier this week it went for the 3rd free service.

I had booked appointment a couple of days earlier. It was promptly picked up on time, all steps were informed and costs explained before carrying out the service.
Lovely ownership report Hemanth. Congratulations and happy years of ownership - this car is a keeper. Btw I'm surprised you are confident enough to hand over the keys to a driver (for service) for an almost new car (I probably wouldn't).

Do you mind sharing what was the OTR price you paid at the time of delivery and since then with all the modifications and accessories, what the net hit to the wallet? Intrigued to understand.
Old 28th January 2024, 18:11   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Lovely ownership report Hemanth. Congratulations and happy years of ownership - this car is a keeper.
Thank you. This car for sure is a keeper

Quote:
Btw I'm surprised you are confident enough to hand over the keys to a driver (for service) for an almost new car (I probably wouldn't).
I've never had problems giving my cars to A.S.S drivers. If something is bound to happen, it can happen when I'm driving too. Or for that matter, even if we drop the car ourselves, accidents may happen within the service centre too. In fact I feel people are more careful when it's not their car.

Quote:
Do you mind sharing what was the OTR price you paid at the time of delivery and since then with all the modifications and accessories, what the net hit to the wallet? Intrigued to understand.
I am among the people who were impacted by MSIL's pricing blunder. Don't remind of OTR price please!
Regards to accessories, it's now running in 6 digits
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 12:07   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

This weekend, I added some more accessories to the car.

Installed front and rear recovery points from Swastikfabs.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_081334.jpg
Front navigator side

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_081353.jpg
Front driver side (can also see the other one in the background)

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_081854.jpg
Rear driver side

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_081850.jpg
Rear navigator side

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_081900.jpg
Both Rear recovery points

Also got the radial arm guards installed. This is probably the lowest point on the car and this needs to be protected.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_082726.jpg
Rear radial arm guards

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_082750.jpg
Front radial arm guards

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_081441.jpg
Transfer case guard that was installed 4 months ago

I later visited Bluegarage.in and added a few more under body protective items like fuel tank, carbon canister guard and front & rear differential guards.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_081357.jpg
Front differential guard

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_081907.jpg
Rear differential guard

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_081924.jpg
Fuel tank guard

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_082822.jpg
carbon canister guard

Actually Bluegarage.in has underbody protective items as a kit that includes 1 Front differential guard, 1 Rear differential guard, 1 Carbon cannister guard, 1 Fuel tank guard, 1 Transfer case guard and 4 radial arm guards. But since I had already got the Transfer case guard and the 4 radial arm guards installed, I chose only the remaining items.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240202_165400.jpg
The set I chose

Then I upgraded the battery to a proper DIN series 70AH battery. Swastikfabs has a bolt on attachment to hold the bigger 70Ah battery.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_083339.jpg
DIN 70Ah battery

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_111550.jpg
Stock JIS 45Ah battery for reference

Also I removed the stock airfilter and upgraded to a replacement K&N air filter

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240203_114314.jpg
K&N performance

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_083432.jpg
Air filter installed

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_083357.jpg
Info Stickers

I went to the MSIL A.S.S and got the driver side floor mat hooks installed. It was a 5 minute task which the service centre did FOC.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_093024.jpg
Floor mat hooks

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240204_092941.jpg
Secured!

I was looking for a Jimny scale model and getting one in black was difficult. I found a 1/12 scale scale model that is also a wet tissue holder on Amazon JP website and ordered it. I thought of keeping it on the dash. When it arrived, it was too huge to keep inside a car. But for a tissue case, it's quite detailed and hence I've just jept it as a scale model.

This is an officially licensed product by Suzuki Co., Ltd. The hood is removable to reveal a small compartment that can store keys, etc. Tyres rotates and can be operated by hand.

A rear parcel shelf would've been a good place for this but unfortunately there's no parcel shelf for the Jimny.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240104_193855.jpg
1:12 3-door scale model of a bluish black Jimny

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 4th February 2024 at 12:14.
hemanth.anand is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 09:28   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

On March 8th, The car completed exactly 6 months and it crossed the 12000 kms mark.

Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240308_173142.jpg
6 months and 12000kms

On March 9th and 10th, I took part in Rock N Road 4x4 Masters | Experiences from My first off-road competition
Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240317_074736.jpg

More details of the event and my experiences are in the below link
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...mpetition.html

Since completion of 10 and the 3rd service, I wanted to get the WA and WB done, But I decided to wait for this event to be completed. So, After the event, Two days Ago I went to Tyre Professionals and got the WA and WB done. A few values were off and corrected.
Jungle, Interstate or Metro…No Worry | The story of our Maruti Jimny AT-20240316_105431.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks