Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2023, 14:20   #31
BHPian

Re: The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Thanks suvrog! Welcome to the fraternity and hope you enjoy the car for a long time to come.
Interesting to know that the floor is not flat in your case. Can you share a pic? My assumption was that all models post April 2023 has the flat-floor contraption.

The brake pads do last longer if judiciously used. ROG_AK changed his pads at 30K service. There are other in our Scorpio-N Owners groups who've not had the need to. So 35K+ is achievable.
Thank you for recommending underbody kit. I was in a lookout.

Some more observations in my recent Kolkata to Bangalore trip:

1. The engine is in its sweet spot when cruising at around 90-100kmph. The rpm needle hovers over 1600-1900 mark. Ride is plush and FE is at its max.

2. Cruise Control increases the wear on brakes, specially the rear ones.

3. There is good amount of nose dive during hard braking. My dog who was seated in the second row felt scared many times.

4. This car just annihilates bad/patchy roads at ease.

5. There is a loud scratching sound from the rear brakes when the car is moved first thing in the morning. It gradually fades when the brakes come to operating temperatures. This is really annoying at times.

6. Low beam headlights are just inadequate. Need to upgrade soon. Any advice would be helpful.
suvrog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 18:20   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

What a brilliant review Debayan..The writing is just so good that it took a while to understand that I am actually reading a car review !! You have aptly described the mighty big daddy and its qualities in no uncertain words. Quite a looker this car is in the green colour. The Yeti will be missed but I am sure you have given it a proper thought in welcoming the ScorpioN. Wishing you some eventful miles in this brute of a car

P.S- I could barely recognise you without your beard !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 07:45   #33

Quote:

Other Quirks & Features worth a mention

• The Scorpio-N had a badly designed rear floor board. It wasn’t flat and stowing away trolley bags was troublesome. This was called out by reviewing media and early customers alike. Mahindra decided to fix it quietly in post-Jan manufactured models by designing a storage bin and a lid to cover and make the floor flat. Good decision. What’s not good is the decision to not roll this out to earlier customers. In fact Mahindra denied the compatibility of this for older cars claiming it to be a floor design change. Kushgandhi called out their bluff, and got the correct part numbers from his local Mahindra ASC dealer. That helped other Scorpio-N owners, including me, to retrofit this to aid convenience. We did have to shell out close to 5K for it though. Come on Mahindra, you’re better than this!

Hi I just had a quick question about this ! My family's daily driver is a Scorpio-N, I wanted to know if the flat floorboard attached in the back increases the height at which your knees are and also if possible could you please attach some photos of the storage bin and the floorboard ? My family is quite irritated by the rear floorboard as well. Thanks for this thread, it's great ! (I also did not get where the storage bin is )
OffTheLine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 13:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheLine View Post
Hi I just had a quick question about this ! My family's daily driver is a Scorpio-N, I wanted to know if the flat floorboard attached in the back increases the height at which your knees are and also if possible could you please attach some photos of the storage bin and the floorboard ? My family is quite irritated by the rear floorboard as well. Thanks for this thread, it's great ! (I also did not get where the storage bin is )
The flat board at the back doesnt impact the seating posture of the 3rd row. It is just at the back, where luggage is loaded. I dont have images handy now.
atluri_rkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 20:33   #35
BHPian

Browsing through the forum during the holidays and coming across this amazing review, thanks nerd1200 for sharing your journey with your Scorpio-n in last one year. And this only does make my will more stronger to buy it as my next change which is planned sometime next year
pravarag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 15:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheLine View Post
Hi I just had a quick question about this ! My family's daily driver is a Scorpio-N, I wanted to know if the flat floorboard attached in the back increases the height at which your knees are
...SNIP...
(I also did not get where the storage bin is )
Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
The flat board at the back doesnt impact the seating posture of the 3rd row. It is just at the back, where luggage is loaded. I dont have images handy now.
OffTheLine: As alturi_rkc pointed out, the flat floor does not impact the third row. You can notice the same in this image.

The storage bin is located under the flat floorboard. Refer to this image. This foam structure is used to flatten and raise the floor level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravarag View Post
Browsing through the forum during the holidays and coming across this amazing review, thanks nerd1200 for sharing your journey with your Scorpio-n in last one year. And this only does make my will more stronger to buy it as my next change which is planned sometime next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
What a brilliant review Debayan..The writing is just so good that it took a while to understand that I am actually reading a car review !! You have aptly described the mighty big daddy and its qualities in no uncertain words. Quite a looker this car is in the green colour. The Yeti will be missed but I am sure you have given it a proper thought in welcoming the ScorpioN. Wishing you some eventful miles in this brute of a car

P.S- I could barely recognise you without your beard !!
Thanks Pravarag and Abhi!! Glad you liked it.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 17:32   #37
BHPian

Weekend Trip to Malpe

This year, so far, has been marked by a bit of a dry spell for our road trips, primarily due to work priorities and personal commitments. In an effort to break free from this trend before the end of the quarter, we drove to Malpe last weekend.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7755.jpeg

Altocumulus and his better half joined us for this drive. The Scorpio-N was chosen to ferry the 4 of us for the drive. Although, I must point out that I had an ulterior motive to influence this decision. I wanted to test out the recently fitted Stedi lightbar. More on this later.

We decided to visit Malpe so that both Mangalore and Kundapura/Maravanthe are easily accessible. Not unlike most of our shorter drives, this one too was chalked out around famous eateries, defining the need for easy accessibility to these places. That apart, we wanted to visit St. Mary’s Island and the famous Malpe sea-walk, which has been on our to-do list for a while. I’d planned the onward journey via Charmady and return via Agumbe ghats.

Day-1: Onward to Malpe & Mangalore

With the dates finalized and bookings done at Paradise Isle beach resort, we set off around 6:30 on Saturday morning. Traffic was much lesser than I expected, and we were on Tumkur Road within 40 minutes. The first stop for breakfast was at Vaishali, just in time for their famous Keema Poori & Keema Dosa.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-img_0760.jpeg

The drive through NH75, Belur Road and beyond were uneventful. We took a short break at Ibbani Café for some coffee. From here on, Altocumulus took the wheel. The Scorpio-N performed superbly on Charmady ghats, body roll was well contained and none of the occupants complained of feeling uneasy or squeamish. Altocumulus had fun behind the wheel. This RWD was quite a different beast compared to the sports sedan he is used to, nevertheless, he quite enjoyed the massive road presence and its effects on our uninterrupted progress.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7747.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7750.jpeg

We reached Malpe around 3.30, checked-in and went around in search of lunch. Found a small shack around the corner called Kaliyuga Café. The food wasn’t great honestly. The calamari and other seafood were fresh, but the preparation could’ve been better. However, the place had a very nice view of the ocean – the sort that reminded us of Goan shacks.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-img_5266.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-img_1919.jpeg

Post lunch, we took a stroll down the beach and watched as the sun went down.

Later that evening we drove down to Mangalore. First stop – Pabbas on MG Road. A set of carefully chosen ice creams promptly graced our table. Among them was their signature Gudbud; however, the name of the chocolate-based one escapes my memory. The glass was emptied at an alarming pace, but not surprisingly so.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-9.png

Next stop was Machali. Their seafood & Neer dosas were simply divine. One must end the meal with a bottle of Tazaa Lemon soda, probably the perfect bottled lemon soda ever made.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-10.png

We reached Malpe quite late and retired for the night.

Day-2: Malpe, St. Mary's, Kundapura, Maravanthe & Blue Flag Beach

The next morning, we experienced the famous floating sea-walk. It felt quite unnerving at the beginning. The longer we stayed on, the more we enjoyed it. Absolutely loved the overall experience.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-img_5129.jpeg

Learning to surf!

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-img_5145.jpeg

Post an underwhelming breakfast at the resort, we boarded a ferry to St. Mary’s Island. Tourists are to spend an hour there typically.

St. Mary’s Island is known for its unique geological formations and pristine white sand beaches. The main attraction are the distinctive hexagonal basaltic rock formations, believed to be formed from volcanic activity millions of years ago. In 1498, Vasco da Gama landed here, fixed a cross and named this island O Padrão de Santa Maria, before sailing further south to Calicut.

The ferry:

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7760.jpeg

One of the many quad bikes on Malpe beach

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7759.jpeg

While at St. Mary's Island our better halves got occupied collecting sea-shells.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7786.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7765.jpeg

Altocumulus was visibly bored.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7780.jpeg

I used the time to hone my photography skills.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7781.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7789.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7764.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7775.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7787.jpeg

The happy bunch

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-img_5191.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 10th March 2024 at 17:34.
nerd1200 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 17:32   #38
BHPian

Weekend Trip to Malpe (Contd.)

For lunch, we made our way to Kundapura, specifically to the legendary Shetty's Lunch Home to savor their delectable Ghee Roasts paired with the incredible Neer Dosas. As anticipated, it was an irresistible culinary indulgence.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-8.png

Post lunch, we visited Maravanthe for a customary photoshoot before heading down to Padubidri Blue Flag Beach. It is one of just 12 Blue flag beaches in the country. The prestigious “Blue Flag” label is awarded based on 33 stringent criteria relating to amenities available, cleanliness, safety, services, accessibility, and environment.

At Maravanthe

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7801.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7804.jpeg

Padubidri Blue Flag Beach

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7837.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7832.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7853.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7827.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7829.jpeg

BHPian Altocumulus & yours truly!

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7808.jpeg

Back at Malpe, we spent the evening lounging at our resort’s Bubble Beach Bar, immersed in engaging conversations, the soothing music of the sea waves provided a comforting backdrop.

Day-3: Return leg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-img_5277.jpeg

The drive back to Bangalore on Monday was quite uneventful. There was minimal traffic up until we reached the outskirts of Bangalore, beyond which we had to circumnavigate the city through peak hour traffic on ORR. We were honestly not too bothered as we were busy planning our next road trip.

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7859.jpeg

The Story of a Green Scorpion | Mahindra Scorpio-N Ownership Review-dsc_7860.jpeg

We finally reached home at 8, concluding the trip on a high note and in anticipation of the next one.
nerd1200 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 15:57   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

nerd1200, excellent write-up! I was eagerly waiting for your feedback on the LED bar. Hoping for it in your next post.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 18:56   #40

Looks like you had a great trip, nerd1200. BTW the first sundae is the world-famous Gadbad (not gudbud, or gudbad, or any of the umpteen variations). The second one's called a Chocolate Dad
Bombastic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 23:45   #41
BHPian

Great writeup nerd1200. I hope you enjoyed the beach as much as you enjoyed your beast....
I am currently based out of Manipal, and whenever I get time, I cycle to Malpe Beach in the morning, and I tell you its the best early in the morning
The sun kisses the waves and they produce a soothing sound. Coupled with some amazing local food and soda, truly a bliss

This area is known for its beaches, and the next time you visit, I'd recommend you to go to Kapu, Delta and Hoode beaches. They are much more calm and unexplored as compared to Malpe. (P.S. - If you happen to go in the months of December and May, don't be surprised to find the beach full of college students, because that's when our semesters end....)

Cheers
Sid
SID7115 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 07:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Weekend Trip to Malpe (Contd.)

Padubidri Blue Flag Beach

Attachment 2581475

[ .
Great travelogue
Could you pls share more details on this nicely concealed LED bar including installation.
Cheers
yadavsid21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 17:25   #43
BHPian

Breezy read and refreshing pictures especially from the beach. Lots of vitamin D and tasty food I gather. Simply a wonderful car to do long haul road trips in comfort. Maybe we should head there again once the monsoon arrives.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 00:53   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
nerd1200, excellent write-up! I was eagerly waiting for your feedback on the LED bar. Hoping for it in your next post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
Great travelogue
Could you pls share more details on this nicely concealed LED bar including installation.
Cheers
Thanks Amrit & Sid. I'm making a few adjustments to the lightbar for better throw. Once done, I'll update in detail about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombastic View Post
Looks like you had a great trip, nerd1200. BTW the first sundae is the world-famous Gadbad (not gudbud, or gudbad, or any of the umpteen variations). The second one's called a Chocolate Dad
Thanks & apologies for misspelling the legendary Gadbad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID7115 View Post
This area is known for its beaches, and the next time you visit, I'd recommend you to go to Kapu, Delta and Hoode beaches. They are much more calm and unexplored as compared to Malpe.
Thanks for the tip, Sid. Will definitely keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Breezy read and refreshing pictures especially from the beach. Lots of vitamin D and tasty food I gather. Simply a wonderful car to do long haul road trips in comfort. Maybe we should head there again once the monsoon arrives.
Thanks much! This indeed was lazy food-trip. Lol
I concur on the monsoon visit. Sun is less harsher, crowd is minimal and beaches are cleaner! Count me in if you plan one & vice-versa.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 13th March 2024 at 00:55.
nerd1200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 21:14   #45
BHPian

Lovely travelogue. Great pictures too! I was not aware of the keema dosa, will bookmark the establishment.
Padubidri is one of the best beaches I have ever been to.
We had our class party here at the end of 1st year (then moved to Parnakuti homestay for the rest of the evening)

I plan to drive down to Manipal someday again but need better planned leaves as Lucknow is FAR
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks