Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2024, 19:23   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 2023 Mahindra Thar 4x4 Petrol AT Hard-Top Ownership Review | The White Hulk | EDIT: 10,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrezzaGuy View Post
Where did you get the rear wheel cover? I too want that
From Ebay US. It was advertised as a Wrangler cover but it has perfectly fitted on my Thar.
Old 10th July 2024, 14:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 2023 Mahindra Thar 4x4 Petrol AT Hard-Top Ownership Review | The White Hulk | EDIT: 10,000 km

So day before was a very rainy day in Mumbai and no surprises there was water logging everywhere.

While I had no problems wading through deep water, other cars had stalled and motorcycles were lying around in the floods. One thing I learnt that even though I have a Thar, I cant do anything with others around me breaking down.

So I took a U turn after covering some distance and after coming out of the water I started hearing a sound and the steering became tight. I stopped the car by the side and bent down to take a look.

There was a thick log of wood stuck in the tie rod ends of the suspension. I took it out. Another lesson here is even if we can drive to water with our big SUVs, you have no idea what trash lies beneath the flood waters.

I started driving but the steering alignment had gone for a toss and the traction control and hill descent control light also popped up on the instrument cluster.

My 2023 Mahindra Thar 4x4 Petrol AT Hard-Top Ownership Review | The White Hulk | EDIT: 10,000 km up!-0c43d8cda5274f4cb0364fd7cd3a6517.jpg

My 2023 Mahindra Thar 4x4 Petrol AT Hard-Top Ownership Review | The White Hulk | EDIT: 10,000 km up!-6939de8b76cc442fa5d3b8551f97c656.jpg

I reached work and put the car on the ramp. Turns out the log had bent the tie rod ends of the suspension.

Sent the Thar to Mahindra Modi in Thane. My SA Gaurav Dalvi was nice enough to take it in without prior appointment that too at 4 pm in the evening. They changed both, the left and right tie rod ends and ball joints but kept the car overnight so that the alignment can be done the next day.

Pics of the tie rod ends:

This the bent one.

My 2023 Mahindra Thar 4x4 Petrol AT Hard-Top Ownership Review | The White Hulk | EDIT: 10,000 km up!-c5a4d50d42924167adb5c4e3d66cbbb3.jpg

My 2023 Mahindra Thar 4x4 Petrol AT Hard-Top Ownership Review | The White Hulk | EDIT: 10,000 km up!-c16867fba5034365995355f63fa94d55.jpg

Got the Thar back next day evening with everything sorted. Filled up at the Shell pump nearby and headed home.

My 2023 Mahindra Thar 4x4 Petrol AT Hard-Top Ownership Review | The White Hulk | EDIT: 10,000 km up!-img_1018.jpg

A big shout out to my SA Gaurav and the quick turn around by the Mahindra Modi team.
Dippy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 16:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Another lesson here is even if we can drive to water with our big SUVs, you have no idea what trash lies beneath the flood waters.
This is the exact reason why I avoid the side roads specially in the city. Its very easy to take and overtake everyone from the side where noone goes. One cannot imagine what kind of stuff lies in the water. Stones, steel rods, rods jutting out of nowhere. Plus with metro constructions any kind of debris will do lot more damage.
Dodge_Viper is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 21:46   #64
BHPian

Quote:
So day before was a very rainy day in Mumbai and no surprises there was water logging everywhere.

I started driving but the steering alignment had gone for a toss and the traction control and hill descent control light also popped up on the instrument cluster.
Sorry about your ordeal. It must have been nerve racking seeing those warning lights pop up.
Did the SA at Mahindra give any reason as to why the ESP/traction control and Hill Descent control warning lights came on even though the issue was with alignment and tie rods?

I ask because I had given my 2012 Mahindra XUV 500 for routine service and alignment at an FNG. Two days after getting the car back, I took it to an outstation work trip and it too threw up similar warning lights that you encountered and continues to do so for almost the past 1 month since the service. Mine however come on after driving about 12-15 kms and go away after turning off the car and turning it on again. But sure enough they return after the next 12-15 kms of driving. Another thing is that now, even when the warning lights are off, Hill Hold and Hill Descent Control are not working. I haven't tested the traction control though.
It was raining here too, the day after I got my car back from the FNG, however it was parked and not driven through any puddles.
Could the issue with my car be caused by a short circuit either from rain water getting into the sensor/couplings or rats climbing onto the car to get away from rain water and cutting the wiring. Or does the car need the sensors to be
calibrated/?reset after alignment which was probably not known by my FNG?

I have intimated the FNG but am yet to take it there to get this rectified.

P.s. Sorry to take the thread off track, but if someone knows the reason for this it would be great to read your inputs.

Thanks,
hmansari

Sharing a pic of the error lights.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2023 Mahindra Thar 4x4 Petrol AT Hard-Top Ownership Review | The White Hulk | EDIT: 10,000 km up!-img_20240624_080604.jpg  

Old 13th July 2024, 22:00   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Another lesson here is even if we can drive to water with our big SUVs, you have no idea what trash lies beneath the flood waters.
With my Storme I usually slow down and never take it in a lot of water even though it can take them with ease is that the water goes into places along with dirt and those parts start to rust. Plus with all these abs sensors and other sensors, you never know which will start behaving funky and show some weird error on the console.
puneetakhouri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 22:35   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
One cannot imagine what kind of stuff lies in the water. Stones, steel rods, rods jutting out of nowhere. Plus with metro constructions any kind of debris will do lot more damage.
Agree, though it’s tempting to get into water in these 4x4/AWD SUV’s.

However a simple equation to keep in mind is that always avoid standing water and wade into it not because you/your car can but only if you must.
SchnelleKurven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 08:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
With my Storme I usually slow down and never take it in a lot of water even though it can take them with ease is that the water goes into places along with dirt and those parts start to rust. Plus with all these abs sensors and other sensors, you never know which will start behaving funky and show some weird error on the console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnelleKurven View Post
Agree, though it’s tempting to get into water in these 4x4/AWD SUV’s.

However a simple equation to keep in mind is that always avoid standing water and wade into it not because you/your car can but only if you must.
Agree to both points. After this episode I would think twice before just going into the water. The garbage underneath the water can cause serious damage. My car may be capable but its just not worth it unless I dont have a choice.
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks