Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2024, 11:19   #46
BHPian

Re: 15-year old Mercedes E280 CDI W211 Review | Buying & Ownership | Curiosity meets the forbidden f

Hey..glad to see the car running even with the various issues though. I recently had a problem in my 2010 C class and that was the ABS Control Unit. It had some problems earlier (the steering becomes tight, ABS function and Tyre pressure check becomes inoperable). Usually 95% this error can be fixed by a software update (which was done twice for me in the past 2 years) or can be case of speed sensor that can be changed easily. However lucky me got that 5% of issue which is replacement of the ABS Control Unit which is quite expensive. Mercedes themselves are asking for nearly 2.5 lakh for it. I reached out to various garages including M Star to get a refurbished one that should cost 50 to 60k but difficult to get this particular model (other model may not fit correctly). As I type this, I still haven't got a proper part and its been nearly a month.

And yes, my battery failed too recently. Replaced it with an Amaron as advised by Majo with slightly more ampere and cost 16k (the VARTA one in the car had to be imported and costs 50k).

I have my Jeep Compass petrol automatic at home to use for the past month and unlike several incidents faced by others with Jeep, the car has been reliable and is a good backup for me (barring the low mileage of 7 kmpl). Now to be fair, its been 2 years since I got the C class and it has never seen a down time like this until now. It's times like these I wonder if it's still worth hanging on the Merc or just sell and buy a small electric car in it's place (to compensate for the low mileage Jeep which atleast still looks good and drives/ride well).

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 18th February 2024 at 11:23.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 12:25   #47
BHPian

Re: 15-year old Mercedes E280 CDI W211 Review | Buying & Ownership | Curiosity meets the forbidden f

Hello,

Got everything sorted and running great (for now hehe). Also yes, I have heard about this issue in this generation of Mercedes. It is difficult to find refurbished parts for these in India. I have some contacts from Bombay which I can share with you for the same.

I do agree that the compass is a fun car that handles well and your Mercedes dilemma. One thing I have realised about this late 2000s and early 2010 Mercedes' is that these are significantly more expensive to take care of than the 1980 and 90s ones due to obvious simplicity of those cars. If I may say my slightly controversial opinion, I think the "built like a tank" and "made by engineers" statements about the W123's and W124's are at some level overhyped at this point. The run relatively well because there are way fewer parts to fail. For those who have actually driven it (I have driven several good and bad examples of these), you would realise that there are compromises to make with respect to power, comfort and safety. As much as I like these cars, seeing some W123's selling for even 15 lakhs and above these days which really makes me question the entire classic car scene. However, then moving a decade ahead, we have these W220s and W211s which offer the power, comfort and safety comparable if not better than 99 percent of the cars on road today and that also comes at a significantly higher maintenance price than the 80s and 90s Mercedes'.

I think this is also the primary reason why some of these cars be it the W220, W211 are criminally underrated and undervalued. There is only a tiny sliver of the population who is resourceful and tasteful enough to keep these on road but also not that resourceful enough to just buy a newer e-class/s-class and call it a day. This is making it harder and harder for people to keep these cars from going into scrapyards.

In your situation, like you suggested I too would suggest selling either of the cars for a electric or a more dependable vehicle maybe a ZS EV instead of the compass and the W204 continues to be a project. This ensures that there is always at least one car that is always ready.

Last edited by cefiljoseph : 18th February 2024 at 12:40.
cefiljoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 19:23   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefiljoseph View Post
In your situation, like you suggested I too would suggest selling either of the cars for a electric or a more dependable vehicle maybe a ZS EV instead of the compass and the W204 continues to be a project. This ensures that there is always at least one car that is always ready.
True. Just the fact that the Jeep is 8 years old 'younger' compared to the Merc and it's likely to have less issues than it. But then I have to leave the Merc and cannot think of buying the next generation cars as they are hideously expensive (both used or new). I got mine for 9.5 (original KL registration and single owner which ran 65k). Can hardly find such a combination these days with the condition I got the car. Anyway...lets see. Not selling it off right now but just toying with the idea after this incident.

Hey, that contact in Mumbai, that would be great. You like know him personally or just a contact? Let me try that if you don't mind sending me the contact number.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 09:22   #49
BHPian

Yeah, that makes sense. I got one contact off the internet and another through a friend. Messaging you both right away
Old 25th February 2024, 22:13   #50
BHPian

Hi forum members
How reliable/well-engineered are the early w211 petrols? Can a 2004 E240 V6 done 70k with complete MB service history make a good weekend/fun/project car, for about 2 and a half lakhs (with complete docs and immaculate bodyline, paint etc)? This is the non sunroof model. Can I expect an enjoyable and pain-free ownership for the next 5-10 years/30k kms? The vehicle is single owner and is owned by a bigshot.

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th February 2024 at 22:14. Reason: Minor edit
Denali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 21:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali View Post
Hi forum members
How reliable/well-engineered are the early w211 petrols? Can a 2004 E240 V6 done 70k with complete MB service history make a good weekend/fun/project car, for about 2 and a half lakhs (with complete docs and immaculate bodyline, paint etc)? This is the non sunroof model. Can I expect an enjoyable and pain-free ownership for the next 5-10 years/30k kms? The vehicle is single owner and is owned by a bigshot.
Hello Denali,

Sorry for this late response and hoping that the offer is still on. While the pre-facelift W211's for sure have more problems than the facelifted ones, at this age both the cars have their fair share of problems mostly age related. Most of the parts that needs to be changed are wear and tear items that would need to be changed in any car of this vintage. With the petrol in particular, you need to watch out for some engine related parts like the chains, guides, pulleys and so on. SBC usually has a warranty of 25 years by Mercedes and even in India they replace it for free if the car been serviced at Mercedes like the example you are looking at. Provided you get all the preventative maintenance done which would cost a small fortune, I don't see a reason for the car to give you much trouble apart from tiny niggles here and there which is to be expected. With a good budget with enough room for the parts, it should be a fun project and that V6 should give you enough reasons to keep up with the maintenance haha.

I also noticed that you are Mohali which is coincidentally where I am now as well. Would be happy to help you out in any way possible
Old 27th April 2024, 21:03   #52
BHPian

Hi CefilJoseph,

Loved reading this thread - I too am a fan of Mercs in general and the W211/212s too.

One question re. emissions - would your car (the post-facelift W211 e280CDI) fall under BS4 or BS6? I know it falls under Euro6 but do not know which Indian category that equates to.

Thank you and wish you many many happy and expense-free miles.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 08:38   #53
BHPian

Hi, glad you liked the thread

This particular example comes with the OM642 Diesel that falls under BS III emission norms as shown in the pollution check certificates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks