Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2023, 14:37   #16
BHPian

Re: My Ford Freestyle TDCi (aka Toofan) Ownership Review

I loved this car when I drove it. Only complaint was the heavy and springy clutch. The 1.5 TDCi is indeed a gem from the earlier 1.4 Duratorq. In the Figo it feels proper. In the Freestyle it feels like a slingshot gokart especially in the ghats - Gaurav gill proved this by belting it out on the Kolli hills hairpin bends.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 19:27   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car! I feel like when I always see a Freestyle, its always in that brown color including yours!

The review was soo good and detailed! I thought I was reading the official review of the car and not a ownership review. Also, I like how all the mods you have done were not that expensive, most of them were under Rs. 1000. Budget friendly indeed!

Wishing you many happy memories and journeys with your Freestyle, and hope you put that car to good use.
Raghav07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 23:41   #18
BHPian

Loved the review! Made me nostalgic about my Freestyle which I owned for a short span of 2.5 years. Completely loved the car and only sold it since my changing requirements demanded an upgrade. Now have a Slavia but still think of this pocket rocket often.
batladanny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 19:10   #19

Such a Lovely penned detailed review! Can easily feel the adrenaline of owning a car and writing your heart out in such detail, shows the love youve had for machines and that wanting to have a car right from your 12th Std days.

The Ford Freestyle is one of the most under-rated cars ever launched in the country and is a beauty to drive and looks have a very European feel to it with that Wide-smiling grill.

Pity Ford left us with them having so much to offer. Ford owners in India are still proud to what the company offered us in their almost 27 years of existence with the Endeavours, Ecosport (Still love the designs of the Es) Figos and the once launched underrated beauty, the Mondeo.
Old 20th September 2023, 21:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriniadk View Post
[*]The passenger side power window switch is illuminated in my car. Don't know how this happened, but lucky to have it though.
[/list]
Congrats on your Freestyle. As a Figo owner for the last 8 years I feel everything you feel when I drive, even today. For the life of me I just do not know what to replace it with.

The power window switch was most likely replaced with one from the Ecosport. I know cause I have replaced that switch at least 5 times and know many others that have the same issue. For some reason Ford never got that switch fixed and continues to haunt everyone. And oddly enough it's always the left one (front or back) that fails on every car that I know. My right ones are still OG.

But don't worry. That right pedal makes every problem seem insignificant.
DeadCenter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 02:52   #21
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
I loved this car when I drove it. Only complaint was the heavy and springy clutch.
The second day after I bought the car, I drove in Chennai traffic and understood the heaviness of the clutch .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav07 View Post
Congratulations on your new car! I feel like when I always see a Freestyle, its always in that brown color including yours!

The review was soo good and detailed! I thought I was reading the official review of the car and not a ownership review.
Thanks for your kind words. Color was never a criteria for me, but by luck and god's grace I got my Freestyle in this fantastic Canyon ridge color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki272 View Post
The Ford Freestyle is one of the most under-rated cars ever launched in the country.
Pity Ford left us with them having so much to offer. Ford owners in India are still proud to what the company offered us in their almost 27 years of existence with the Endeavours, Ecosport (Still love the designs of the Es) Figos and the once launched underrated beauty, the Mondeo.
Yes Ford leaving the country was big disappointment for enthusiasts but past is past, hopefully they should treat the customers well for next 4-5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadCenter View Post
The power window switch was most likely replaced with one from the Ecosport. I know cause I have replaced that switch at least 5 times and know many others that have the same issue. For some reason Ford never got that switch fixed and continues to haunt everyone. And oddly enough it's always the left one (front or back) that fails on every car that I know. My right ones are still OG.

But don't worry. That right pedal makes every problem seem insignificant.
Finally I have found the answer for my power window switch illumination. Yes definitely the TDCi makes me smile everytime I drive it .
Old 17th October 2023, 00:44   #22
BHPian

Update at 72xxx km after a long roadtrip to sikkim:

Mission Accomplished - Zero Point Sikkim
My Ford Freestyle TDCi (aka Toofan) Ownership Review-pxl_20230926_052739342.jpg

Conquering all Trails
My Ford Freestyle TDCi (aka Toofan) Ownership Review-pxl_20230926_035054627.jpg

The entire September month I spent my time behind the wheel covering almost 5000kms(I will soon write my travelogue). So during my Sikkim trip what I noticed was that the luggage kept in the left rear passenger side footwell area was getting wet. The passenger who was sitting right behind me had kept her backup shoes under the seat of the co-driver seat. After reaching north Sikkim, she exclaimed that her sketchers were fully wet.

I have already noticed this kind of issue in my Freestyle group where water logging happens in the left rear passenger side footwell. I was unable to notice this problem because I had a full floor matting and I travel alone most of the time. I became curious about this issue, so the same night as soon as I reached the hotel I removed all the luggage and cleaned the entire interior of the car. For info- I have put on full floor matting in my car and above that, I have the Freestyle mats. When I removed the freestyle mats, I found water on the full floor matting in the entire car. So I cleaned the entire car with a microfibre cloth and thought of checking it the next day night. When I checked it the next day, there was a small puddle of water only on the left rear passenger side footwell of the car.

After returning to Vizag, I contacted my Service advisor Prasad (PPS Ford Vizag) and booked an appointment. On checking the car he told me that this is a known issue with a certain batch of cars and can be rectified with a permanent solution. Luckily I didn't have to shell out money from my pocket( saved 7k-8k bucks ) as the car was in warranty. He informed me that it would take 3-4 days as the entire dashboard has to be opened and the floor lining has to be cleaned and left for drying purpose. He checked with the spare parts section and told me that the part to be changed was also readily available. It was a small part named the evaporator seal ( not sure whether it's the exact name ). But the main problem was its location was at the bottom of the centre console. The next day Prasad sent me the photos of the car after being opened. I thought it was one hell of a job ( photos will justify better )and my car was in bits and pieces . But the service centre guys did a fantastic job and I was happy when I received the car.

The part which got changed
My Ford Freestyle TDCi (aka Toofan) Ownership Review-6120861535841663374_121.jpg

My Ford Freestyle TDCi (aka Toofan) Ownership Review-img20231006wa0024.jpg

The dashboard fully opened up and the centre console was about to be removed.
My Ford Freestyle TDCi (aka Toofan) Ownership Review-img20231006wa0022.jpg

My Ford Freestyle TDCi (aka Toofan) Ownership Review-img20231006wa0018.jpg

After removing everything inside the car including the center console
My Ford Freestyle TDCi (aka Toofan) Ownership Review-pxl_20231007_102316237.mp.jpg

My Ford Freestyle TDCi (aka Toofan) Ownership Review-pxl_20231007_102321406.jpg

Conclusion :

After 3 days, Prasad informed me that the car was ready to be taken. When I reached the showroom, the car was kept clean and in ready condition. It was zero bill under warranty and he handed over the same to me. So I am happy that I followed our Bhpian community's advice of taking an extended warranty. My car is under warranty till Dec 2024 and no worries as such Ford is also offering 7th and 8th-year extended warranty for their cars.

Toofan back in action
My Ford Freestyle TDCi (aka Toofan) Ownership Review-pxl_20231016_1858284051.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 18th October 2023 at 10:40. Reason: As requested
sriniadk is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 09:13   #23
BHPian

It's heartening to see that even though Ford has stopped production, they are continuing with the supplies of spares and there are service centres still up and running. Not sure what their plan of action would be 2-3 years down the line.

Good to see your car back in action. Seems like the service guys did a good job of kitting it back up.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 11:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
It was a small part named the evaporator seal
I have the same problem with my Figo Aspire MY'18. I will be doing a visit and yes the vehicle is still covered under warranty in its 6th year of ownership!

Cheers!
Old 17th October 2023, 13:14   #25
BHPian

So heartening to see a brand which has left the market is providing such an excellent service and that too, consistently. On the other hand, we have market leaders who don't even acknowledge an issue. I had nearly bought a Figo tdci in 2017 due to its amazing engine and the dynamics. I wish Ford makes a comeback and as the saying goes, the comeback should be bigger than the setback.
Bhupi_BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 17:08   #26
BHPian

What an awesome experience. As the owner of Ford Endeavour 3.2 such a great experience leaves a wonderful big smile. So far, in the many years of owning my vehicle I did not need to use the warranty but this inspires confidence.

Thanks for sharing this.

And congratulations also due for a wonderful trip you have had.

Keep up the miles. God speed, fair winds and following seas.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 18:09   #27
BHPian

Whats great about such experiences is, the kind of indelible impresson it has on its customers who own thier cars. These kinds of good experiences in unison shall lay a bedrock on which this company can build upon in future, lets say by making a comeback in the Indian market, or resumption of thier car selling in the future. I mean, by reading such experiences , one can certainly hope for thier comeback, and if they do make a comeback, they will have a ready supply of customers who were aware of thier good experiences which was provided by ASC when they were not seeling thier cars. Its food for thought for those car makers who left thier customers in the lurch. Not Ford, and kudos to them for making thier customers happy.
Old 17th October 2023, 18:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
I have the same problem with my Figo Aspire MY'18. I will be doing a visit and yes the vehicle is still covered under warranty in its 6th year of ownership!

Cheers!
Then no problem at all. You can get it rectified under warranty with zero bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Thanks for sharing this.
And congratulations also due for a wonderful trip you have had.
Thanks for your compliments sir. The Sikkim trip will be a memorable one for me and my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Not sure what their plan of action would be 2-3 years down the line.
Good to see your car back in action. Seems like the service guys did a good job of kitting it back up.
Well as of now for next the 2-3 years there will be no problem. But after that, nothing can be guaranteed, but since the TDCi engine was sold in huge numbers we can procure parts and the showroom mechanic who fixed this was a very skillful guy.
When I complimented him, he was like " Aree saheb mae toh Ford Mustang ka Dashboard khol ke reassemble kar chuka huun, accident ke baad " and showed photos of the same.
sriniadk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 21:16   #29
BHPian

OT:
Nice to see how Ford ASCs are holding up. Makes me think if I should have gone for a 3.2 and saved some money for a Nikon Z7 and a 150-600mm.

Still very happy with my decision though.
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 09:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Mission Accomplished - Zero Point Sikkim
Heartiest congratulations.
Sikkim is a great place to drive around and soak in the nature. Do make a plan to visit East Sikkim sometime if you have already not been there.

Quote:
My car is under warranty till Dec 2024 and no worries as such Ford is also offering 7th and 8th-year extended warranty for their cars.
I own a 2019 Ford Ecosport Titanium. I had initially taken 3+2 years warranty. This year when I went in for the annual service, I was offered 6th and 7th year extended warranty at a discounted price. However, I went ahead with the 6th year warranty only. But 8th year extended warranty was not in the offer documents also. Can u please share some details on this?
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks