Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2023, 01:15   #1

MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience

Selecting the Gloster:

My requirement was a 7-seater to replace my Hexa, which I had owned for 5 years. I sought an SUV with excellent ride quality, seating comfort, 4-wheel drive, and go-anywhere ability within a budget of 35-45 lakhs. Shortlisted cars included:

1. Toyota Fortuner
2. Ford Endeavour
3. Isuzu MU-X
4. Tata Safari
5. Mahindra Alturas G4
6. Hyundai Alcazar
7. Kia Carnival
Notably, models like Jeep Meridian, ScorpioN, and XUV 700 weren't available during my purchase.

Toyota Fortuner:
Pros: Excellent design, strong road presence, good resale value, torque, and pickup.
Cons: Noisy, harsh engine, heavy steering, average seats without luxury.
Reason for elimination: Heavy steering and loud engine.

Ford Endeavour:
Pros: Striking design, strong road presence, 10-speed gearbox, excellent suspension, ride, handling, and steering.
Cons: Aging model, anemic 2.0-liter engine, rear seat not special.
Reason for elimination: Preference for 3.2-liter engine.

Isuzu MU-X:

Pros: Isuzu reliability.
Cons: Poor NVH, below-average suspension, lack of power, mediocre looks.

Tata Safari:

Pros: Cost-effective, sturdy build, robust suspension, monocoque chassis.
Cons: Average NVH, heavy steering, Tata service.
Reason for elimination: Tata service, lack of AWD/4WD.

Mahindra Alturas G4:
Pros: Luxurious cabin, smooth engine, light steering, good performance, excellent NVH.
Cons: Average looks, SsangYong's condition, lack of discounts.
Reason for elimination: SsangYong's situation.

Hyundai Alcazar:
Pros: Feature-rich, good NVH, Hyundai reliability.
Cons: Lack of AWD, less road presence, car-like feel.
Reason for elimination: 1.5-liter engine, absence of AWD.

Kia Carnival:
Pros: Strong pros across the board, Audi-like feel, powerful engine, comfortable seats.
Cons: Unappealing looks, uncertain future, no AWD.
Reason for elimination: No AWD.

This brings me to the Gloster:

Exterior:
The Gloster is massive, though the Fortuner boasts better road presence. The front design is premium with sleek headlights and a large grille, while the side and rear quarters are less impressive. A design similar to the Harrier would have been better.

Colossal Gloster
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8446.jpeg

Brit dynamic badge looks cool
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_7611.jpeg

Front design is premium
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8316.jpeg

Unimpressive side and rear quarter design
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8313.jpeg

Brilliant LED headlamps
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8310.jpeg

Designers forgot to complete the rear end
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8307.jpeg

Beautiful looking alloys
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8305.jpeg

Interior:
The interior is exemplary.

Front Seats:
Driver seat is comfortable with electronic adjustments, providing a commanding road view. Ventilation, heating, and massage functions are effective.

A proper textbook job
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8327.jpeg

Driver's seat comfort is exemplary; Also, notice the height difference between driver and co-passenger seat
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8331.jpeg

Cheap plastic lowdown
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8296.jpeg

Co-passenger seat:

Everything is similar to the driver's seat, except for the height adjustment, which is a fly in the ointment. The elevated floor combined with the fixed seat height places you in a squatting position, lacking under-thigh support and making the seat uncomfortable for extended drives. The only way to alleviate fatigue is by extending your legs. Unfortunately, the co-passenger seat doesn't offer seat cooling; it only has a heating option.

Lack of height adjustment
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8303.jpeg

Rear Seats
The rear seats in my Gloster are individual captain seats. Although they lack height adjustment, they don't feel as uncomfortable as the front co-passenger seat. Paired with the expansive panoramic sunroof, they provide a very airy and premium ambiance. The seat back supports are excellent in terms of ergonomics. However, the rear seats are adjusted manually, without an electric adjustment option.

Dashboard: The dashboard can put cars twice the cost to shame, not only in terms of its appearance but also the quality of materials and tactile feel. Everything is immaculate; only when you look lower down can you find some inexpensive plastic bits, although this is a minor detail.

Quality of materials is similar to german cars
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8300.jpeg

Rear aircon controls
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8320.jpeg

Expansive panoramic sunroof
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8323.jpeg

Infotainment:
The infotainment experience is a mixed bag.

Audio quality:
The speakers used are decent, but the amplification is weak and anemic. We need to make significant adjustments to the equalizer to achieve a satisfactory sound quality.

Touch and responsiveness:
The touch response is passable, not great. However, the head unit itself is notably sluggish, resembling an old Windows XP PC upgraded to Windows Vista, struggling to perform efficiently. A major frustration is the frequent freezing of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, requiring a hard reset to restore functionality.

One of the most poorly executed features is the reversing camera's quality. It resembles an old Nokia phone camera or a dated CCTV camera, displaying significant noise, low resolution, and slow responsiveness. Aftermarket cameras provide a noticeably better image quality.

The built-in Gaana app is available, but it's underwhelming to use. Unfortunately, there's no option to download other music apps. The internet connectivity also proves to be buggy. Overall, the infotainment system's performance is akin to a budget Android tablet, with its only standout feature being its appearance.

Anemic amplification requiring significant changes to the EQ
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8342.jpeg

Looks premium but performance is akin to a budget Android tablet
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8294.jpeg

Speedo is a mix of a digital screen sandwiched between two analogue dials.
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8335.jpeg

Air Conditioning:
The air conditioning works effectively, cooling the cabin rapidly. The controls are intuitive and easy to use.

Driver Console and Speedo:
The gear control knob exudes a premium feel, as does the front console. The car imparts a strong sense of luxury. The speedometer boasts a bright screen with good clarity, though it doesn't reach the high resolution of Audi's virtual cockpit. It comprises a blend of a digital screen positioned between two analog dials. Notably, the puddle lamps also add a premium touch.

Gear knob exudes a premium feel
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8292.jpeg

Reading lights add a premium touch
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8337.jpeg

Rear reading light
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8325.jpeg

Driving Impressions after 2 Years of Ownership and the Need for an ECU Remap:
Experiencing the Gloster's driving is something that truly requires firsthand experience. However, I'll attempt to convey my impressions on paper. During my test drives, I primarily drove on highways in auto mode. What struck me the most were the seating position and the NVH levels. The suspension performance was outstanding, even surpassing that of my Hexa and my cousin's Duster. It glides over rough patches and road undulations like a Titanic on water. As for body roll, it remains within acceptable limits for a car of this size and height. The steering is light and nimble, creating a sensation of floating. It's as if the car is gliding on clouds. The suspension setup leans towards the softer side, noticeable when you step onto the footboard to perch on the driver's seat.

These driving experiences have remained consistent over the two years of owning the car. However, what has dampened the experience is the response from the engine and gearbox.

Engine & Gearbox :

Illustrative description of a non-'V' twin-turbo engine configuration
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_0163.jpeg

The engine is a 2.0 twin-turbo unit, a non-'V' configuration engine with two turbos. This setup isn't mechanically robust due to its structure. It consists of two turbochargers: one is a high-pressure turbo that activates at lower RPMs, and the other is a low-pressure turbo that engages at higher RPMs. However, at certain points, the high RPM turbo can experience back pressure and manifold interference, affecting the vehicle's reliability. To address this, the ECU is tuned to mitigate these issues and meet emission standards. In contrast, a 'V' configured engine has a more mechanically robust solution, with each line having a single turbo that doesn't conflict at various RPMs.

Regarding the gearbox, it's a weak link in the Gloster's drivetrain. Its torque handling isn't sufficient, and for reliability, it's tuned to be quite sluggish... excessively so. Despite this, shifts are very smooth. With this combination of engine, gearbox, significant weight, and aerodynamics reminiscent of a skyscraper, the car comes to life around 2000 RPM, delivering a sudden surge of torque that fades after 3500 RPM. When I initially test-drove the car on highways, this wasn't as evident. However, after purchasing it and experiencing various road and traffic conditions, especially in the city or slow-moving highway traffic, driving the vehicle became a challenge. It feels unresponsive, lifeless below 2000 RPM, with a sudden and aggressive torque spike at 2000 RPM that quickly disappears. This drivetrain characteristic made driving the car difficult and uninspiring. After a year or so, the car felt devoid of character. I even preferred to hand the keys to my chauffeur rather than take the wheel in the Gloster.

This drivetrain behavior isn't improved by changing drive modes, whether it's eco, auto, or sport. Modes like sand, mud, ruts, and rock are meant for poor road conditions, and using them for performance enhancement doesn't make sense. I preferred using eco mode, which offers the best NVH levels. While it didn't drastically change the driving experience, it did upshift early, with the 8th gear engaging around 80 km/h, resulting in better cruising. In sport mode, the car held 7th gear until reaching 100-110 km/h. It's important to note that the Gloster isn't designed for confident high-speed handling. It's stable only up to 140 km/h, beyond which its underpowered engine and aerodynamics hinder performance. Coupled with body roll, it doesn't inspire confidence to push beyond that speed.

The brakes are best described as average; they don't match the car's weight and require a forceful push on the brake pedal for effective stopping. With these drawbacks in the drivetrain, I researched ways to eliminate turbo lag. I explored online forums and information about the engine, but there was limited info available. I stumbled upon a video by Doughnut Media about a $2500 electronic turbo, which fascinated me. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone in India installing it, as it required a mild hybrid 48-volt system with large batteries placed in the car's boot. This was disappointing, as the Gloster is an otherwise brilliant car, marred by poor drivetrain tuning. This is important because, on paper, the numbers are impressive: 218 bhp, 480 Nm of torque, and a 0-100 sprint in 11 seconds. The main issue lies in the narrow power band, with the car feeling unresponsive below 2000 RPM.

I came across Code 6 in Hyderabad, where Mr. Anirudh provided technical expertise. I inquired about electronic turbo installation, and while he initially laughed it off, we discussed the lackluster drive I was experiencing with my Gloster. He assured me that an ECU remap could address the issue, enhancing throttle response and torque curve linearity. Convinced by his advice, I traveled to Hyderabad, nearly 500 km from my city. Anirudh swiftly completed the work in just 45 minutes, assuring me that if there were future ECU updates, he'd reflash the ECU for free – a generous gesture.

After the remap, I immediately noticed improved NVH levels, making an already brilliant aspect of the car even better. Notably, the engine now pulled cleanly from as low as 1400 RPM, infusing new life into the car. The torque delivery was remarkable, with a robust surge of power in the lower rev range. This transformed the car from feeling like a train compartment to a powerhouse. The previously sluggish gearbox was now complemented by the engine's performance. Throttle responses and pedal-to-metal reactions drastically changed. It began to resemble an old Audi Q7 in terms of driving experience.

During a trip to Bhadrachalam via Maredumalli, I utilized the sports mode with a heavy right foot in the mountainous terrain. Fuel efficiency suffered, returning 5 km/l, and my AdBlue consumption increased. I contacted Mr. Anirudh, who assured me that the ECU flash would stabilize after a few kilometers. As the initial excitement waned, I began using the car more conservatively, opting for auto mode instead of aggressive driving in sports mode. This change improved fuel economy to around 10-10.5 km/l, slightly lower than the pre-remap average of 11-11.5 km/l. Since the remap, I've covered approximately 8000 km.

I'm eagerly anticipating upgraded brakes, as they have the potential to significantly enhance the car's performance. Improved braking would elevate the Gloster to the league of German SUVs in terms of driving experience. This enhancement would make the SUV even more desirable, showcasing its virtues such as interior quality, ride comfort, and excellent NVH levels, which have been further improved. Addressing one of its major drawbacks, the power delivery, would be the icing on the cake.

I strongly recommend that Gloster owners who self-drive consider getting an ECU remap. I'm also interested in learning about other members' upgrades in terms of performance or braking for their Glosters.

Proudly displaying the "Code 6 Tuned" badge!
MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience-img_8304.jpeg

Last edited by graaja : 16th August 2023 at 19:37. Reason: Formatting, Grammar, Punctuation and Image Captions
drstrange is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 04:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MG Gloster ownership review & ECU remap experience

Thanks for the review. Did you get the transmission maps changed as well, or was it just an engine ECU remap?
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 14:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Thanks for the review. Did you get the transmission maps changed as well, or was it just an engine ECU remap?
It is just an engine ecu remap no transmission maps were changed
drstrange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 19:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Moving thread from "Assembly Line" to "Test Drives & Initial Ownership Reports" section. Thank you for sharing.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 09:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrange View Post
It is just an engine ecu remap no transmission maps were changed
Surprising that you've gotten good results with no transmission map. Usually the tranmission requests a torque limitation from the engine to make the shifts more smooth and seamless, and this means, even if the engine is capable of delivering more, transmission will cut it down.

Quote:
and my AdBlue consumption increased.
Did you ask Code6 if they can do away with the entire Adblue set up? Like DPF delete? That would solve a lot of issues and give better reliability.

Last edited by dhanushs : 17th August 2023 at 09:39.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 11:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Did you ask Code6 if they can do away with the entire Adblue set up? Like DPF delete? That would solve a lot of issues and give better reliability.
I didn't ask but Anirudh is quite helpful if you want you can contact him regarding.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th July 2024 at 06:51. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos fixed.
Old 17th August 2023, 12:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I strongly recommend that Gloster owners who self-drive consider getting an ECU remap.
Since you have opened up a world of options now, consider EGR delete, DPF Delete and a Decat. You can expect the 210-215 factory horsepower to go upto 250 bhp easily (ask Code6 to tweak the ECU a bit more )

All these are reversable when you want to sell the car or visit the A.S.S for any major warranty claims.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 13:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I strongly recommend that Gloster owners who self-drive consider getting an ECU remap. I'm also interested in learning about other members' upgrades in terms of performance or braking for their Glosters.
Cudos to you for getting a remap (much needed) for the gloster. The major fly in ointment has been treated.
Have you visited Service Centre after the remap?
What was their comment regarding the remap, did they notice it? Also your warranty has voided too right?

Also an Off topic question- Do the Code 6 have a Remap for Hector Petrol?

Last edited by aah78 : 27th July 2024 at 06:51. Reason: Spacing fixed.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 13:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

I always wondered what the twin turbo gloster would be capable of with a remap. I think it's a decent car, just choked by software and unnecessary chrome.
Would not recommend posting your numberplate here if you are going for the full egr/dpf delete since those are technically illegal.
Cresterk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 16:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dint ask but Anirudh is quite helpful if you want you can contact him regarding
. I'm sorry, but I dont own a car with DPF. I prefer not to. This was my suggestion to you.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 01:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
Also an Off topic question- Do the Code 6 have a Remap for Hector Petrol?
I have the same question. I have a Hector DCT petrol and the engine transmission combination sucks in an otherwise amazing car. Would love to know if it can be improved this way
fabia_firstcar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 07:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabia_firstcar View Post
I have the same question. I have a Hector DCT petrol and the engine transmission combination sucks in an otherwise amazing car. Would love to know if it can be improved this way
Sure it can be but it's turbo diesel engine that has the best effect after ecu remap even a turbo petrol shows good benifit but cars without turbos usually have very limited scope
drstrange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 12:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Since you have opened up a world of options now, consider EGR delete, DPF Delete and a Decat. You can expect the 210-215 factory horsepower to go upto 250 bhp easily (ask Code6 to tweak the ECU a bit more )

All these are reversable when you want to sell the car or visit the A.S.S for any major warranty claims.
Dpf and decat delete gains only 3-5 bhp upgrade not worth the work and pollution now post remap the horse power is 245 . The gearbox is not designed to handle more tourque than what is available so in the best interest of reliability and peace of mind it's better to stop here , anyways we can't make a hippo dance
Old 26th August 2023, 17:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabia_firstcar View Post
Me too! Hector Plus DCT Petrol and we find the slow downshifting, in particular, extremely irritating for example when we hit the base of a flyover or suddenly chance upon a speed breaker. It’s like losing power completely all of a sudden. Otherwise a car we very much love. Would be interested in seeing if an ECU flash could help overall.
Old 27th July 2024, 02:16   #15

Quote:
Dpf and decat delete gains only 3-5 bhp upgrade not worth the work and pollution now post remap the horse power is 245 . The gearbox is not designed to handle more tourque than what is available so in the best interest of reliability and peace of mind it's better to stop here , anyways we can't make a hippo dance
Hi thank you for a very detailed review. I am also planning to buy the Savvy 4x2. With the test drive I found the same issue, really sluggish response when trying to get a move on at low rpm. How is the remap doing now almost a year since this post.

Also on a side note we doing some significant side to side movement in the second row of a 2 year old car, but it was less in the new test drive vehicle. Is this an issue which you have encountered as well?

Last edited by aah78 : 27th July 2024 at 06:52. Reason: Typo fxied,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks