Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2023, 17:05   #1
BHPian

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying

My Dad's Škoda Slavia Lava Blue 1.5 DSG | A Tale of Car Buying

Introduction

While our Wagon-R 2019 AMT, was a good city car, it didn't meet our needs as we needed a car for road trips too and its poor safety ratings were a major concern. It became clear that we had to look for a more suitable car that could suit our requirements, considering the Wagon-R was intended to be a city drive car. So, we started searching for a new car that could fit all our needs. This is the story of how we brought home our fantastic Škoda Slavia.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230722-222311.png

Pros of the Škoda Slavia

• The 1.5 TSI engine with 150 horsepower and 250 Nm of torque delivers an exciting driving experience.

• The DSG gearbox ensures rapid and seamless gear shifts, enhancing the overall driving pleasure.

• A 5-star G-NCAP rating, advanced safety features, and sturdy build inspire confidence on the road.

• Efficient power management and strong grip contribute to a stable and controlled driving experience, even at high speeds.

• Generous legroom, headroom, and knee room in both the front and rear contribute to a comfortable environment.

• The well-designed seats offer excellent support and a perfect balance between firmness and softness.

• Thoughtful design elements inside and out create an elegant and classy appearance.

• The 10-inch infotainment system with subwoofer and amp provides excellent sound quality and responsiveness.

• The AC system performs well in varying temperatures, ensuring comfort for all passengers.

• A spacious 521-litre boot accommodates weekend luggage, and folding rear seats add convenience.

• Impressive fuel economy, with numbers up to 10 km/l in heavy city traffic. Our previous Honda City 4G used to only give us 8 km/l in similar city conditions. The ACT (Active Cylinder Technology) does an amazing job at improving fuel efficiency.

• Even panel gaps, sturdy doors, and excellent paint quality showcase the car's build quality.

• Useful features like ventilated seats, wireless charging, and wireless connectivity enhance the overall driving experience.

• The car's excellent insulation does a great job of blocking out wind and road noise, especially when you're driving at high speeds. It keeps the cabin nice and quiet, making for a more comfortable and enjoyable ride.

Cons of the Škoda Slavia

• While the Škoda Slavia provides a comfortable rear seat, fitting three adults for long journeys might be a bit tight. The seating is better suited for two adults and a child in the back.

• The touch-based AC controls are not very user-friendly. They can be a bit unresponsive and confusing to use.

• Parking in tight spots could be a bit challenging because the rear visibility is limited.

• The rear camera's quality is quite poor even in daylight, and it lacks adaptive guidelines as well.

• The steering of the Škoda Slavia feels lighter when driving at city speeds compared to our Wagon-R. Adding a bit more weight to the steering would enhance the driving experience.

• The absence of an engine protector cover raises concerns, especially when driving on rough roads or during rainy conditions.

• Phones with screen sizes exceeding 6.5 inches cannot be positioned properly behind the wireless charging area.

• The quality of interior materials is not very high. On particularly rough roads, the ambient light can sometimes produce rattling noises, and there are noticeable gaps beneath the central AC vent of the dashboard.

• Placement of certain buttons and controls, like traction control, door lock/unlock, cruise control and the auto start-stop button in the Slavia, might not be very easy to use at first glance. These buttons could have been positioned in a way that's simpler and more user-friendly for drivers.

• While the idle start-stop system functions effectively, it can sometimes feel overly aggressive in traffic situations, leading to uncomfortable and jerky experiences. Sometimes, the auto start-stop system shuts down the engine even when the car is still in motion when approaching a rough patch or speed bump at lower speeds.

• Despite the 1.5 TSI engine being exceptionally smooth and refined, there are slight vibrations felt on the center armrest, specifically during idle.

• Surprisingly, there's no dedicated button on the steering wheel to answer or reject phone calls. Even a Wagon-R has this feature, which makes its absence in the Slavia quite unexpected.

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 15:49.
MotorDev is online now   (39) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 23:21   #2
BHPian

Re: My Dad's Skoda Slavia - A Tale of Car Buying

The Car Buying Journey

Requirements for the "Next Car":
  • Spacious interior
  • High safety ratings
  • Good handling and driving experience
  • Attractive interiors with good-to-have features
  • Budget of 15-18 lakhs
  • Ample boot space
  • Good Build
With our criteria set, we decided to wait until November 2023 to make our purchase.

Cars Considered

Honda City 5th Gen

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230807-231914.png

Initially, we wanted to upgrade to the new Honda City, but we didn't like how it looked on the outside. However, we really liked the interior. The car had lots of features in the base and mid-level trims, and we thought that the price was fair for what we were getting. Ultimately, this was the only car that met all of our requirements in 2020.

Škoda Slavia

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230722-090508.png

We were impressed with the car's exterior and interior design. The Škoda Slavia had numerous advantages over the Honda City, and being a newer model, it was an attractive option. Despite its 1.5 DSG variant being priced at 18 lakhs ex-showroom, we decided to consider it and stretched our budget for the same.

Mahindra XUV700

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230807-231953.png

My mom suggested that instead of paying a high price for a 5-seater sedan, we should consider buying a 7-seater with better features by spending an additional 5 to 6 lakhs. Though it was beyond our budget, we decided to take a test drive and explore this option.

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 16:08.
MotorDev is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 23:43   #3
BHPian

Test Drives

Dealership: Raja Škoda Mahadevapura, Bengaluru

Name:  Screenshot 20230807 232910.png
Views: 2274
Size:  474.3 KB

Upon our arrival at the showroom, a friendly salesman greeted us and patiently answered all our queries. The dealership was spacious and had a pleasant ambience. The sales staff was well mannered and knowledgeable, making our experience a positive one.

Slavia's First Impressions When We Saw It for the First Time in Reality

My dad wanted to see if the rear seat could comfortably fit three adults (I am a teenager). We found that the legroom and headroom were good, under-thigh support was good for both my dad and me and the seats were comfortable. However, the rear seat is best suited for two adults and a child for long drives. Despite this, my family of four (including my 5'11" dad and 5'4" mom, 5'6'' me, and my brother), felt comfortable in the rear seat, although it may be tight for three adults. The Slavia's dashboard looked premium and had better materials than the Kushaq we saw at the showroom. The front seats were comfortable and had good ergonomics for my mom and me, but my dad felt that the placement of the infotainment system was a bit low. Under-thigh support was good for the front seats too. The doors shut with a heavy thud, giving a feeling of sturdiness.

Slavia's Test Drive and Test Drive Car Impressions

Note to the reader: I want to clarify that I am 14 years old and not eligible to drive a car. The "driving impressions" that I share in this ownership report are based on my dad's experiences. I want to emphasize that I do not support underage driving.

The dealership had the car in the stockyard, and we took the opportunity to test the air conditioning since the car was very hot. We test drove the Style variant of the Slavia, which felt more spacious than the Ambition variant due to the beige colour and leather seats. The dashboard had a premium feel.

We test drove the 1.5 DSG engine gearbox combo, which was extremely quiet upon starting. It took around 7 minutes for the car to cool down to a comfortable temperature, and even on low fan settings, the air conditioning was slightly loud and we noticed that the ventilated seats weren't very effective during the test drive.

We found the suspension to be a bit stiff, and we could feel small bumps inside the cabin, which affected the overall ride comfort. During the test drive, we had a chance to accelerate the car, and my dad was impressed with the powerful 1.5 engine, which quickly went from 30 km/hr to 85 km/hr. However, the test drive was very short.

Sticker Price

The on-road price of Slavia 1.5 DSG in Bangalore was more than 23 lakhs with packages, and there were no discounts. However, the dealer offered a discount of approximately 60k which brought the price down to 22.41 lakhs.

Even though the Slavia seemed expensive, we were willing to pay for its excellent engine, strong build, and driving capabilities. We informed the dealer that we needed two days to decide and get back to him.

Conclusion

We had a positive experience with the car and were satisfied overall, although it would have been even better if the car had more shoulder room and a sturdy dashboard.

The Confusion

Later that day, my dad pointed out that the Honda City ZX Petrol CVT was priced almost 4 lakhs lower and had more interior space compared to the Slavia. Despite my initial preference for the Slavia, as it was ultimately my dad's decision, I couldn't refuse his choice.

However, my dad was also impressed with the Slavia, particularly with its driving dynamics, interior design, and overall appearance. Yet, he was hesitant about its seating capacity, seeing it more as a 4-seater car. He found it difficult to justify spending 22 lakhs on a car that could only seat four people comfortably.

Test Drives

Dealership: Dakshin Honda Hosur, Bengaluru

Name:  Screenshot 20230807 233033.png
Views: 2226
Size:  295.1 KB

Initially, we found the showroom to be quite deserted with the staff showing a lack of interest towards the few customers present. We were eventually approached by a salesman who showed us the 5th-generation City. The showroom lacked the charm and appeal that we had experienced at Škoda's dealership. The salesmen did not seem particularly interested in showing us the car, and the test drive offered was rather short, only covering a kilometre.

City's First Impressions When We Saw It for the First Time in Reality

The 5th gen City had a lengthy body, with a front profile that appeared heavy due to the chrome detailing. However, the rear had a classy appearance. The side profile had a striking resemblance to the 4th gen City. Surprisingly, the doors of the 5th gen City felt heavy and produced a satisfactory thud upon closing.

Upon examining the rear seats, we observed the following points:
  • The headroom in both the front and rear seats was average, with the Slavia being more spacious in terms of headroom.

• My family (mom, dad, me, and my brother) could sit comfortably in the back seat, although the non-adjustable headrests were slightly uncomfortable.

• Honda offered three-point seat belts for all passengers, a feature also present in the Slavia.

City's Test Drive and Test Drive Car Impressions

The test drive of the Honda City 1.5 CVT NA took place with the car already cooled down and parked outside the dealership. The car's touchscreen was placed higher than the Škoda Slavia's, but the touch response was average and the overall look was not premium. The driver's seat was positioned too high, and despite some difficulty, the salesman managed to lower it to an optimal position. However, the plastic quality around the seat adjustment was not good and, moved during the adjustment process. The front AC vents were not well-liked by us with a coffin-like appearance and uncomfortable placement.

At a speed of around 40 km/hr, road noise was noticeable and was similar to that of our Wagon-R. The suspension was comfortable and handled potholes well, but we were unable to check the high-speed stability of the car due to the narrow roads and short test drive. The pickup of the CVT was decent according to my dad but the engine noise in the cabin was a bit high. Despite this, my father was satisfied with the car's overall performance.

Sticker Price

The on-road price of Honda City 1.5 CVT ZX in Bangalore, including the warranty but without any discounts, exceeded 19 lakhs. The dealership only offered a mere discount of around 15k.

Conclusion

The Honda City did not meet our family's requirements and preferences, as it was outperformed by the Škoda Slavia in almost every aspect except for backseat space and reliability. However, since my mother, brother, and I were going to sit in the back seat for most of the time, the Slavia provided just the right amount of space.

Test Drives

Dealership: Mahindra India Garage Mahadevapura, Bengaluru

Name:  Screenshot 20230807 233126.png
Views: 2248
Size:  323.8 KB

The showroom wasn't very large, but the dealership had a huge stockyard to keep their cars. The salespeople were nice and explained things in an easy way. However, the test drive cars were not in great shape, and the one we drove had a broken windshield. Even with that, our experience at the showroom was good overall.

XUV700's First Impressions When We Saw It for the First Time in Reality

We were drawn towards the XUV700's muscular exterior design with its large LED headlights. Inside, the car offered a luxurious feel with plenty of space, and we particularly enjoyed the panoramic sunroof.

The standout feature of the XUV700 was the comfortable back seat, with enough room for three people and supportive, comfortable seats. However, we were disappointed that the middle seat lacked an adjustable headrest and three-point seatbelt.

While the dual-screen setup looked impressive, it was a bit slow to use. Nevertheless, the car's overall spaciousness and strong presence were notable. The third row was not ideal for taller passengers, and the thigh support for the legs was lacking. We also noticed some issues with the sunroof's roof liner, which felt shaky when touched. Despite these minor drawbacks, the XUV700 met all of our desired criteria and offered a wide range of features.

XUV700's Test Drive and Test Drive Car Impressions

The test drive car we had was in a dirty condition and had a cracked windshield. We test drove the AX7L petrol AT variant of the XUV700. Despite the external condition, we were impressed by the car's performance.

Firstly, the AC in the XUV700 was highly effective, providing a cool and comfortable environment. We didn't feel the need for ventilated seats during the drive.

The car itself was remarkably quiet, with only a slight engine vibration upon startup, which is to be expected. On the road, the XUV700 delivered a smooth and refined driving experience that impressed my dad. The suspension was comfortable, effortlessly absorbing bumps and potholes. My dad also found the engine to be powerful and responsive, making overtaking other vehicles on the highway a breeze.

The XUV700's 360-degree camera system enhanced visibility while driving, although it had some minor glitches. The infotainment system, paired with the Sony premium audio system, was of excellent quality, delivering perfect sound.

Sticker Price

When we visited the dealership to see the XUV700 in January 2023, the on-road price of the top of the line AX7L Petrol AT variant of the XUV700 in Bengaluru was around 28.98 lakhs. We believed that the features and overall package of the XUV700 justified the cost and made it a worthwhile purchase.

Conclusion

Overall, we were very impressed with the performance, comfort, and features of the XUV700 and felt that it was a worthy contender for our next car.

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 17:25.
MotorDev is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 17:52   #4
BHPian

Booking the Cars

Mahindra XUV700

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230819-224757.png

After a three month wait due to my exams and trips, we booked the XUV700 in April. The variant we chose was the AX7L petrol AT. The following day, we received a call from Mahindra providing us with all the necessary information and the next steps.

However, at the time of booking the car, we realized that the on-road price had exceeded 30 lakhs, which was well beyond our budget. Despite already stretching our budget from 18 to 29 lakhs, going over 30 lakhs was simply not feasible for us.

Škoda Slavia

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230819-224838.png

We revisited our consideration of the Slavia and decided to explore a new dealership called Raja Škoda in Electronic City, Bengaluru. This time, we thoroughly examined the car, taking measurements of its interior dimensions and comparing them with the new City and our Wagon-R. We found that it offered similar rear space to the City and even had 8 inches more shoulder room compared to our Wagon-R.

During an extended test drive, my dad was impressed by the responsiveness of the engine, and even at speeds of 100 km/h, the road noise was well controlled. The variant of the Slavia driven by us was the 1.5 DSG. Convinced by the car, we decided to book the car on the same day. However, to our surprise, the salesman informed us that Škoda was soon launching a new colour option called Lava Blue for the Slavia. This colour was the same as that of the Octavia, and we immediately booked the Slavia Lava Blue within an hour of its launch. Fortunately, this edition came equipped with a 10-inch screen and a 380-watt sound system. The booking amount for the Škoda Slavia 1.5 DSG Lava Blue variant was 5,000 rupees, and the deal was finalized at an on-road price of 22.21 lakhs in Bengaluru.

The showroom itself was pleasant, as it had recently opened. The sales staff were knowledgeable and helpful, providing guidance and support throughout the process.

Booking Cancellation

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230819-224918.png

Once we had booked the Slavia, we decided to cancel our booking of the XUV700. However, it was a frustrating experience as it took them 22 days to return our money, and only after we sent multiple emails following up on the matter. In the end, we received a refund of 19,000 rupees. We believe that Mahindra should have provided clearer information and a more efficient process for cancelling bookings.

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 21:49.
MotorDev is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 19:29   #5
BHPian

Why a Slavia Over the XUV700 and Honda City

In my opinion, there are several reasons why you might prefer to choose the Škoda Slavia over the Honda City and Mahindra XUV700 based on my observations and views.

Exterior and Interior Design

The Slavia's exterior and interior design left a strong impression on us. Its attractive and modern appearance caught our attention, and its elegance and simplicity could be a key factor for those who prioritize these qualities.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230826-163012.png

Driving Dynamics

The driving dynamics with the powerful engine of the Škoda Slavia are exceptional. It delivers a smooth and refined driving experience that leaves a lasting impression on anyone who drives it. If a superior driving experience is your priority, the Slavia is definitely worth considering.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-12_skoda_slavia_ml.jpg

Features and Technology

The Škoda Slavia, especially with the Lava Blue colour, offers a range of desirable features that include a 10-inch screen, and a 380-watt sound system. If you prioritize advanced technology and premium features, the Slavia may have an advantage over the Honda City and XUV700. While the City has fewer features and the XUV700 may have an overwhelming number of features, the Slavia strikes a balance by providing just the right amount of features that cater to our daily needs and usage.

Name:  Screenshot 20230825 085204.png
Views: 2143
Size:  281.7 KB

Safety

The Škoda Slavia has achieved a remarkable 5-star G-NCAP rating, making it the safest car in India for both adult and child occupants. Škoda has a strong reputation for prioritizing safety, and the Slavia is equipped with a comprehensive set of safety features to ensure the well-being of your family.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230709-111002.png

Rear Seat Comfort

While the Honda City and Mahindra XUV700 provide more rear seat space, the Škoda Slavia still offers a comfortable seating arrangement for a family of four. If you prioritize overall comfort and don't frequently require a five-person seating capacity, the Slavia's rear seat comfort may be sufficient for your needs.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230711-200320.png

Budget Considerations

Although the Škoda Slavia is more expensive than the competition, it offers an excellent engine, strong build, and impressive driving performance that make it worth considering. If you believe that the Slavia's features and qualities I mentioned are worth the higher price, it could be a wise purchase.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230826-162854.png

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 17:14.
Old 9th August 2023, 10:50   #6
BHPian

The Purchase Experience

Throughout the entire car purchasing journey, we only made two visits to the dealership. The first visit was solely dedicated to checking out the car, while the second visit was for the financial aspects. Following a patient wait of more than 20 days, we were delighted to receive confirmation that our car had been allocated for a comprehensive pre-delivery inspection (PDI).

PDI

Service Centre: Raja Škoda Service Centre Mahadevapura, Bengaluru

Name:  Screenshot 20230809 103840.png
Views: 2199
Size:  378.7 KB

The space was remarkably huge, fulfilling the dual roles of being the stockyard for recently arrived Škoda cars and serving as the dedicated service centre. Since the Raja Škoda E-city branch didn't have its own service centre yet, they made arrangements for the pre-delivery inspection (PDI) to take place at the service centre and stockyard located in the Mahadevapura branch.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-18.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-19.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-20.jpg

Our initial step was to inspect the car's exterior for any signs of damage, and fortunately, everything appeared to be in excellent condition. Moving on to the interior, it also looked flawless. We conducted a test of the 10-inch infotainment system and its speakers, and they performed well. To ensure compliance with the BS6.2 standards, we opened the fuel lid and confirmed that the car met the required specifications. The odometer displayed a mere 30 kilometres, indicating its low usage. With everything appearing to be in order, we confidently proceeded with the car.

"D"-Day

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-21.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-2.jpg

The dealership provided us with regular updates on the progress of our car's production and delivery. Finally, after a wait of around 25 days, we received a call informing us that our car was ready for delivery.

On the day of delivery, the paperwork was minimal and after all the formalities, they explained all the features and controls of the car, ensuring that we were familiar with its functionality. We were impressed by the professionalism and attention to detail exhibited by the dealership. Overall, the delivery process went incredibly smoothly.

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 17:11.
MotorDev is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 11:39   #7
BHPian

Ceramic Coating and PPF

Workshop: Esperto Car Care Koramangala, Bengaluru

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230809-105407.png

Lava blue is seriously an awesome colour. During the day, it's like this cool mix of green and blue, and when night falls, it transforms into this sleek dark blue shade. It's like having two colours in one car! To keep that shine locked in, we decided to roll with Esperto Car Care. We found them online and their customer service was on point.

Right after we got the delivery of our car, we wasted no time and drove straight to Esperto. No chances taken, you know? Our choice included Paint Protection Film (PPF) for the bumpers, a robust shield against potential damage like stones etc. Additionally, we selected ceramic coating for the entire body.

These guys were like wizards with their work. A standout feature of Esperto Car Care is their convenient service of picking up the car from the dealership, showcasing their commitment to customer convenience. How fancy is that? They kept us in the loop the whole time. We got updates with videos and photos of our Slavia getting ready. The best part? The entire enhancement process was efficiently completed within just 2 days. Oh, and they even gave our ride a mini photoshoot.

Few Pics of the Beauty

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-12.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-17.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-14.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-13.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-11.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-16.jpg

When it was all said and done, they handed us the keys along with some car care stuff. The price for this was approximately 65,000 rupees. Now our Slavia is shining like a star, ready to hit the streets. So, if you're thinking of giving your car the VIP treatment, these Esperto folks are the real deal.

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 16:15.
MotorDev is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 20:10   #8
BHPian

Unveiling the Star: The Škoda Slavia

Exterior Impressions

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-exteriorsketch_spz_slaviabluerear11920x886.jpg

Design

The Škoda Slavia's design is seriously cool and carefully thought out. It's like someone took a sleek shape and made it just the perfect size. Take a closer look at the Škoda Slavia, and you'll see why it's something special. The way it's shaped, with its elegant lines and the perfect balance of everything, makes it stand out. And don't even get me started on that colour – Lava Blue. During the day, it's this amazing mix of green and blue, and at night, it turns into this sleek, dark blue that's seriously impressive. This awesome look is just the start of what makes this car so great.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-slavia-pic-14.jpg

The headlights are seamlessly integrated with the large butterfly grille. This grille design gives the car a commanding presence, and personally, I prefer its appearance over the chrome grille featured on the anniversary edition.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1038132.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230819-145304.png

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1036562.jpg

While the front profile boasts an aggressive design, the rear profile has a more mature and sophisticated appearance. This contrast in styles adds to its overall charm. The taillights enhance the looks further. A notable addition is the TSI badge, indicating the powerful 1.5 engine under the hood. The presence of the 'Š K O D A' lettering at the rear adds a premium and upscale touch to the overall rear design.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230819-144840.png

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1033452.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1025592.jpg

The car's side view is both sporty and elegant. The lines and details on the sides are smooth, and the chrome accents along the windows add to its appeal. The window size is just right, not too big or too small. The overall side design is quite attractive.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1041522.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1035402.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230823_184459.jpg

Headlights and Taillights

The LED Škoda Crystalline headlights and taillights are truly commendable. They offer excellent spread and brightness, ensuring clear visibility. It's a bit of a bummer that the indicators aren't LED, though. As for the fog lamps, I haven't had the chance to test them yet. The taillights, while simple, add an elegant touch to the car's appearance. They're also LED, except for the halogen reverse lamp and indicator. What's cool is how much attention to detail they put in the lights, from their design to the branding present within. All in all, the lighting in this car is fantastic.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1029482.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1030502.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230823_184414.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1026272.jpg

Alloy Wheels and Tires

While the alloy wheels have a nice appearance, they could have been slightly larger and sportier in design, especially for the 1.5 variant. Nevertheless, the current alloys still look good and perform their role well. The MRF Ecotread tires of size 205 / 55 provide solid grip, and there are no complaints about their performance.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1039472.jpg

Key Observations

The absence of an engine protector cover raises concerns, particularly when driving on uneven roads or during rainy weather.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230819-145631.png

The 1.5 TSI variant showcases a twin exhaust pipe located on the left side.

Name:  Screenshot 20230819 145557.png
Views: 2211
Size:  297.0 KB

The fenders proudly display the Škoda lettering badge, enhancing the car's premium appearance with chrome and piano black inserts.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1026492.jpg

The ORVMs not only look appealing but are also appropriately sized for the car.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1027042.jpg

Chrome inserts embellish all the door handles, and the presence of two request sensors, one on the driver's side and another on the passenger's side, adds convenience.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230823_184446.jpg

The sunroof is appropriately sized, providing a balanced and satisfactory experience.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1042372.jpg

The shark fin antenna is elegantly presented in black, complementing the car's aesthetics.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_102725.jpg

The rear bumper showcases a honeycomb design, housing three parking sensors for added functionality.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1032492.jpg

It also features reflector strips beside the honeycomb-patterned bumpers at the back.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230819_1032422.jpg

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 16:16.
Old 14th August 2023, 20:58   #9
BHPian

Interior Impressions

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230817-230944.png

Cabin Quality and Design

Inside the car, you'll notice how neatly the dashboard is set up. The interior boasts a nice mix of beige and black tones, which looks quite nice. Though it looks good, I have to admit that the materials used aren't the best in terms of quality. Sometimes, the ambient lighting setup can make a little rattle on rough roads, which isn't ideal. Another thing that caught my attention is the small gaps under the central AC vent area. They're not too obvious at first glance, but if you look closely, you'll spot them. However, I do want to mention that the door design is well done. Despite these small things, the cabin overall feels quite upscale and premium.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181332.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184149.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181436.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181540.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181742.jpg

Seats, Comfort and Space

The black and beige leather seats have a pleasing look and are well-designed. While they might not be the absolute best in terms of material quality, their shape is quite nice. They strike a good balance between being too firm and too soft. Up front, there's good headroom and support for your thighs, and the footwell area provides ample space for both the driver and passenger. The seats offer a comfortable experience, and all passengers can adjust their headrests for added comfort.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182812.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181400.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230825-114502.png

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182753.jpg

Moving to the back, the rear seat is positioned a bit lower. Like the front seats, the rear ones are comfortable, and the cushioning is just right – not too firm, not too soft. Travelling with two passengers in the back using the centre armrest is enjoyable. However, accommodating three passengers side by side might be a bit tight. While all three passengers have 3-point seatbelts, it's more suitable for two adults and a child in the rear. The central floor hump is wide, which might make it a bit cramped for the middle passenger.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_185103.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184315.jpg

Despite this, the cabin feels open and airy. There's ample headroom, knee room, and under thigh support, particularly with impressive legroom. The angle of the backrest is comfortable as well. Overall, the space should be more than sufficient for most passengers. Rear passengers get air conditioning vents and a couple of USB-C ports for charging their smartphones.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_183709.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_183302.jpg

Ergonomics and Driving Position

Stepping into the car, you'll immediately appreciate the user-friendly cabin layout. All the controls are well within your reach. Once you settle into the driver's seat, you'll find it to be well-designed without any major flaws. Although certain buttons like traction control, door lock/unlock, cruise control, and the auto start-stop button might not be the most intuitive at first glance, you'll quickly get used to their placement. Getting in and out of the car might require a bit of effort, but once you're in the driver's seat, you'll become familiar with the controls quite easily.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_1839382.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230825-122343.png

The two-spoke leather-wrapped steering wheel feels just right in terms of size and comfort. The horn pad is conveniently placed and reachable with your thumbs. The steering wheel is also adjustable for both height and reach, allowing you to find your ideal driving position effortlessly. Despite the lower seating position, the frontal view remains good. Notably, the tactile points like the leather centre armrest and leather door pads enhance the premium feel.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182246.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182646.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_185330.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182022.jpg

The overall ergonomics of the Slavia are well thought out. Everything is positioned where you would naturally expect it to be, ensuring that all controls are easily accessible to the driver. To put it simply, the fundamental ergonomics of the Slavia are well-executed.

Air-Conditioning System

The Slavia comes equipped with a touch-based "Climatronic" climate control unit featuring a touch control panel. Rear AC vents have also been provided for added comfort. The air conditioning system performs effectively, and contrary to some reports, we did not experience any shortcomings in its performance. It efficiently cooled the cabin even in temperatures as high as 35°C, such as during our visit to Tirupati. An interesting addition is the 'Air Care' feature, essentially an inbuilt air purifier. Škoda claims that this purifier captures fine dust particles and eliminates unpleasant odours. While we couldn't check it thoroughly, the cabin did feel fresher during our drives. We typically maintain the temperature settings between 18.5°C to 22.5°C, and the AC manages this range comfortably. Overall, the AC system performs well, ensuring a comfortable cabin environment.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181639.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230824_183302.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2494983

Interior Storage and Practicality

The Škoda Slavia offers a range of convenient storage options within its cabin. The doors are designed to hold a bottle along with other items. The glovebox is well-sized and ventilated, providing a practical storage area. The centre console features cupholders and cubby holes for added storage versatility. A unique touch is the spot on top of the dashboard, providing a space for small items or personal touches.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184010.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184851.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_183051.jpg

However, it's worth noting that the storage area behind the wireless smartphone charging pad is limited in size and cannot accommodate phones larger than 6.5 inches. Additionally, while the centre armrest houses a deep storage area, a dedicated sunglass holder is absent. The driver benefits from a storage compartment conveniently positioned to the right of the steering wheel. The front seatbacks are equipped with deep pockets and smartphone holders, catering to the needs of rear passengers.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_185306.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184844.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182454.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184003.jpg

In terms of cargo capacity, the Škoda Slavia boasts an impressive 521-litre boot space, offering ample room for luggage and belongings. This spacious boot further enhances the vehicle's practicality, making it suitable for various activities and trips. Additionally, the rear seats feature a 60/40 split-folding mechanism, allowing for flexible configurations to accommodate larger or longer items while still providing seating for passengers.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_185705.jpg

Overall, the Škoda Slavia's well-designed storage solutions, generous boot space, and folding rear seats contribute to the vehicle's overall versatility and convenience.

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 17:01.
Old 24th August 2023, 22:53   #10
BHPian

Interior Impressions (continued)

Key Observations

The engine start/stop button is inconveniently placed on the right side of the steering column and is illuminated, reducing the chances of accidental touches.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182516.jpg

The round AC vents have chrome and silver touches, with a golden brown strip extending into them.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182302.jpg

While the ambient lighting adds a touch of sophistication, I believe it should have been continuous across the dashboard, not limited to just the passenger side.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182350.jpg

The Slavia features the typical European-style headlamp and foglamp controls, including automatic headlamps. This might take some getting used to for those transitioning from conventional controls.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182427.jpg

Continuing the dual-tone theme, the door pads boast chrome-finished handles with piano black inserts. Reflective tape lines the bottom of all four doors, though the panel behind the handle is made of hard plastic.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182610.jpg

The dead pedal is ergonomically angled, but it could benefit from a slightly wider design. The spacing of the A and B pedals is comfortable.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182753.jpg

Illuminated power window switches and door handle housings enhance the cabin's ambience.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230824-234400.png

The top of the dashboard is made of hard plastic but has a textured finish that adds to the interior's premium feel.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181813.jpg

Ventilated seats work reasonably well, although they might not be very effective on extremely hot days and produce noticeable sound.

Views: 2143

The handbrake's height and positioning can give the impression that it hasn't been disengaged.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182017.jpg

The knurled finish on the AC vents throughout the cabin adds a premium touch and durability.

Name:  Screenshot 20230824 235029.png
Views: 2245
Size:  88.9 KB

The area around the wireless charger is also illuminated, aiding visibility and accessibility.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181959.jpg

Passenger seat height adjustment is a thoughtful addition.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182045.jpg

The centre armrest is plush with white stitching and is conveniently adjustable at a comfortable height.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182022.jpg

The rearview mirror boasts a slim frame and an auto-dimming function, offering ample coverage of the rear windshield.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184811.jpg

The gear lever features illuminated alphabets for easy gear selection.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182854.jpg

Beside the handbrake, there's a 12V power socket and a few non-slip base cupholders.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184851.jpg

The glovebox is spacious but lacks illumination.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184829.jpg

The roof-mounted controls hold individual LED map lights, a microphone, and sunroof controls.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181730.jpg

The sunroof contributes to a bright and airy cabin, also helping to cool down the interior on hot days.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_183119.jpg

The wide and soft rear centre armrest boasts two cupholders and is positioned at a comfortable height.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_183747.jpg

Isofix anchor points are provided for child seats.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230824-225937.png

Both front seats have deep seatback pockets and smartphone holders for rear passengers.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184003.jpg

Grab handles are present above all four doors, with coat hooks for the rear seats. These handles are shockingly not damped.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230824-230505.png

Rear LED map lights are individually positioned above the rear seats.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_183852.jpg

The uncovered space around the boot hinges is not visually appealing.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184512.jpg

A single boot lamp is placed at the top, and the boot lid features partial cladding on the inside.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230824-225754.png

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 16:55.
Old 25th August 2023, 00:12   #11
BHPian

Instrument Cluster, Infotainment System and Speakers

8-Inch Instrument Cluster

The Škoda Slavia's 8-inch digital cockpit provides a wealth of information with intricate detailing around the display. It features Škoda's virtual cockpit with multiple display options that can be selected using buttons on the steering wheel. You can choose to prioritise information like the speedometer or tachometer or opt for a minimalist display showing just the speed in km/h. The instrument cluster also displays a seatbelt reminder for the rear passengers. The animation of the cluster is impressively detailed, showcasing a high level of attention to even the smallest elements. Upon closer observation, you'll notice that the numbers in the minimalistic display of just the speed cast reflections on the yellow strips. This subtle touch adds a unique and cool aspect to the overall design of the cluster. The MID also indicates open doors and alerts you about the open boot or bonnet. The instrument cluster includes digital oil temperature and fuel gauges, as well as time, outside temperature, and distance to empty. Notably, a new RPM meter strip has been added. Customization of the instrument cluster allows for driving stats to be presented between the tachometer and speedometer.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182151.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_185232.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-31_skoda_slavia1920x1281.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-28_skoda_slavia1920x1281.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-30_skoda_slavia1920x1281.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230825-144154.png

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot_20230825134804920_com.google.android.youtube2-1.jpg

Name:  Screenshot 20230822 175444.png
Views: 2086
Size:  242.5 KB

10-Inch Infotainment System

The Škoda Slavia features a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment system that is responsive and smooth to use. It offers wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay functionality along with wireless charging. The screen's brightness is good and remains visible even on sunny days. However, the rear camera's quality is quite poor, even in daylight, and it lacks adaptive guidelines. There's an occasional issue where wireless Android Auto disconnects when the phone heats up and requires a USB cable connection to reconnect. The infotainment system also includes built-in apps and a navigation app that functions well. The user interface is user-friendly, allowing for customization of settings according to preferences. All in all, the infotainment system is quite capable and enhances the feel-good factor of the car.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182227.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-21_skoda_slavia1920x1281.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-22_skoda_slavia1920x1281.jpg

Speakers

The Slavia comes equipped with an 8-speaker sound system that comprises 4x50W speakers, 4x20W tweeters, and a 1x100W subwoofer system, resulting in an impressive total output of 380W. The subwoofer is cleverly situated within the spare wheel compartment in the boot, while an amplifier is positioned under the front passenger seat. The sound quality is truly remarkable. The infotainment system provides further customization options for tailored audio adjustments. The speakers deliver exceptional sound quality without any distortion or cracking, enhancing the overall enjoyment of music and entertainment.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181909.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_183227.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_183002.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_184623.jpg

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_181412.jpg

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 16:51.
Old 25th August 2023, 23:03   #12
BHPian

Škoda Slavia's Impressions on the Road

Engine and Gearbox: Smooth Power Delivery and Effortless Gear Shifting

Note to the reader: I want to clarify that I am 14 years old and not eligible to drive a car. The "driving impressions" that I share in this ownership report are based on my dad's experiences. I want to emphasize that I do not support underage driving.

The heart of the Škoda Slavia lies in its refined 1.5 TSI engine, an epitome of smoothness and power. When you start the engine, you'll notice how refined it is. After idling for about 30 seconds, the engine becomes so quiet that you might not even hear it when the RPM drops below 900.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230711-200359.png

Transitioning into the drive, shifting the gearbox to the 'D' mode results in effortless acceleration. The absence of turbo lag is commendable, making the car well-suited for city traffic conditions. The car's ability to creep forward smoothly proves to be a boon in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The engine's tractability shines through, eliminating any lag and ensuring a responsive city driving experience.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182854.jpg

However, it's on the open highway that the 1.5 TSI engine truly comes alive. The acceleration provided is remarkable, and the combination with the DSG gearbox feels like a match made in heaven. Maintaining speeds below 120 km/h becomes a challenge due to the impressive performance this pairing delivers. Overtaking is a breeze - a gentle press on the pedal provides instant power, creating a seamless surge forward. The combination's refined smoothness adds to the driving pleasure, making it a joy to operate.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230825-091407.png

Engaging a light throttle results in early upshifts, often around 2000 rpm. This can place the car in seventh gear even at speeds as low as 70 km/h. At times, when you press the gas pedal abruptly while in D2 mode, the car might shift very aggressively to D1. This can feel a bit unusual, almost as if the car is braking suddenly. However, it's important to note that this behaviour is not consistent and doesn't occur every time.

Name:  Screenshot 20230825 090856.png
Views: 2117
Size:  81.2 KB

The engine's mid-range is robust, offering excellent outright performance and handling overtaking manoeuvres with ease. Downshifts are swift, with the gearbox responding promptly to throttle inputs. The engine's flexibility is evident, allowing it to maintain triple-digit speeds effortlessly. Cruising at 100 km/h translates to a relaxed 1,850 rpm, further emphasizing its efficiency. The seventh gear ratio provides an advantage, ensuring a well-balanced driving experience across different scenarios.

Name:  Screenshot 20230825 091457.png
Views: 2134
Size:  395.5 KB

If you want to drive more aggressively, you can switch to Sport mode by pushing the gear lever down once. In Sport mode, the gearbox shifts down quickly, holds the gears longer, and lets the engine's midrange power do most of the work. When you're on an open road, it's hard not to press the gas pedal hard. The Slavia is simply amazing to drive! When you're cruising in D mode, you won't even notice the gears changing - they're that smooth. The time it takes to downshift is quick, and you won't feel like the gearbox is struggling to find the right gear. Most of the time, it's in the right gear. You can also use the paddle shifters if you want. However, with the quick DSG gearbox and the engine's power, you probably won't need them much. You might not even switch to Sport mode often because D mode is already very responsive.

Name:  Screenshot 20230825 225623.png
Views: 2138
Size:  321.0 KB

In summary, the engine and gearbox combination in the Škoda Slavia functions exceptionally well, delivering seamless power delivery and accurate gear changes. This translates to a wonderful driving experience with remarkable performance, whether you're navigating through city traffic or cruising on the highways.

NVH

The Škoda Slavia impresses with its notable insulation, successfully reducing engine noise even though there's no insulation under the hood. However, despite the 1.5 TSI engine's remarkable smoothness and refinement, there are slight vibrations noticeable on the centre armrest, specifically during idle. Road and wind noises are also effectively subdued, even at higher speeds. At triple-digit speeds, the predominant sound is that of tyre noise. The inclusion of wheel well cladding further contributes to this impressive noise control. Overall, the NVH levels are very satisfactory, resulting in a less stressful and more comfortable journey.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-screenshot-20230825-224447.png

Suspension

The Slavia's suspension is on the stiffer side, meaning you might feel bumps on the road more. However, when driving at speeds below 15 km/h, the ride remains comfortable. It handles small road imperfections well, keeping the ride smooth. However, when encountering larger potholes, their impact is more pronounced inside the cabin, creating a compromise in terms of ride comfort.

Name:  Screenshot 20230825 224639.png
Size:  364.4 KB

Dynamics and Handling

When you take the Slavia onto twisty roads, it proves itself quite capable. While there's a slight amount of body roll, it's well-managed and doesn't become excessive even during spirited driving. The stiff suspension contributes to this, enabling you to maintain higher speeds through corners. The car's handling on the road is well-tuned. It maintains excellent stability in straight-line driving and feels solid while cruising at speeds between 100-120 km/h. This makes the sedan suitable for comfortable long road trips.

Name:  Screenshot 20230825 091415.png
Size:  374.0 KB

Braking Performance

The Slavia is equipped with front discs and rear drums for braking. The brakes are strong and instil a sense of confidence. The brake pedal is finely tuned, providing a sharp and responsive feel. It performs well even at high speeds.

Name:  Screenshot 20230825 225200.png
Views: 2162
Size:  274.9 KB

Steering Feel and Feedback

The steering in the Škoda Slavia feels lighter during city driving in contrast to our Wagon-R. Adding a bit more weight to the steering would enhance the driving experience. It's well-suited for daily commutes. However, while it gains better responsiveness as the speed increases, it lacks feedback and a sense of connection.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-20230824_182246.jpg

Fuel Efficiency and Active Cylinder Technology (ACT)

Impressive fuel economy is a highlight, reaching up to 10 km/l in dense city traffic. In comparison, our previous Honda City 4G only managed around 8 km/l under similar urban conditions. The ACT (Active Cylinder Technology) plays a crucial role in enhancing fuel efficiency. While the idle start-stop system is effective, it can occasionally be overly aggressive in traffic, resulting in an uncomfortable and jerky experience. There are instances where the system shuts down the engine even when the car is still moving, such as when approaching rough patches or speed bumps at lower speeds. This shuts down the ventilated seats as well, and it takes some time for them to regain their efficiency once restarted. On highways, we achieved a maximum fuel efficiency of 12.4 km/l while cruising at speeds of 120 km/h and sometimes even higher.

Views: 2136

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 17:28.
MotorDev is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 15:41   #13
BHPian

Final Impressions

Reliability

If you're considering a car with a DSG gearbox, it's a good idea to be ready for the possibility of some issues. Despite these concerns, my family purchased a Škoda Slavia 1.5 DSG with a similar mindset.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-140614skodavrchlabidq200gearboxproduction001e1463387482681.jpg

When it comes to how reliable the DSG gearbox is, while there have been a few cases of problems in other cars, the overall number of issues might be made to sound worse than it actually is. It's important to know that any kind of gearbox can have mechanical problems. Even our Wagon R's AMT gearbox had a problem after a year, even though my dad drove carefully. Machines can have problems over time, and parts like the DSG clutch might need to be changed eventually. We decided to get the extended warranty without any doubts. The gearbox works really well and smoothly though. We'll see how things go, hoping for a smooth and trouble-free time owning the car.

Conclusion

In the span of three months, our ownership experience with the Škoda Slavia has been quite delightful. Clocking around 2200 kilometres on the odometer, the car has already proven its mettle. To sum up, our experience with the Škoda Slavia has been positive overall. The car's great look, smooth performance, and features have made a good impression.

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-flip1692964018163.jpg

Despite a few concerns about the DSG gearbox, the Slavia has proven to be a delight on the road, offering impressive performance, a comfortable cabin experience, and impressive fuel efficiency. As we continue our journey with this car, we eagerly anticipate covering many more miles on the road.

Thank You

My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying-thank-you.jpg

A sincere thank you to all the guests and fellow BHPians who took the time to read my thoughts. Here's to hoping that my next review will feature a car I own in the future! With this, I wrap up my first car review on Team-BHP.

Cheers.

Index

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th August 2023 at 19:32.
MotorDev is online now   (62) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 07:28   #14
Team-BHP Support

re: My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 15:49   #15

re: My Dad's Skoda Slavia 1.5L DSG Ownership Review | A tale of car buying

Thanks for the detailed review!
Looking forward to updates/experiences on this thread!

I have a couple of questions:
1. I couldn't help but notice that the Hyundai Verna was never considered when you were shopping for cars, any particular reason you skipped it entirely?

2. You mentioned opening the fuel tank lid to check the specifications. In another writeup, I remember reading that the fuel tank lid had sticker across it due to which it could not be opened. Was this the case with you as well? If so were the staff at the PDI site okay with you cutting the sticker and opening the fuel tank lid?

Off topic, this is the second Skoda car review that I am reading that is written by a teenager, the first being the excellent review of Skoda Superb by GForceEnjoyer, if I remember correctly that was also for the Lava Blue color
prash1892 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks