Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2023, 22:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic

Likes;

- Diesel Engine & Gearbox Performance (400 NM + DCT)
- Interiors (Modern Enough, Functional & Spacious)
- CBU Build, Ride & Great Looking Alloys.
- 4Matic (Grip & Security)

Dislikes;

- Not the most handsome looking Merc (Looks will take time getting used to, however the AMG line kit helps).
- Pricing (Well Priced for a CBU import from Mexico but still very expensive)
- Last Row Seats are unusable for Adults.
- Boot Space is tight with 7 seats up.

In the above Video I discuss the Product Positioning of the GLB, Platform its riding on, Diesel Engine, Ride & Handling Performance.

You may access the above topics based on the timestamps provided under;

00:00 - Intro
00:43 - Product Positioning
03:13 - Platform
04:01 - Engine & Gearbox
06:26 - Handling & Ride
08:51 - Interior
10:01 - Final Thoughts

For those who prefer text may read on;

Product Positioning & Platform details;

The mainstream media mention the GLB as a stretched GLA or funnily also mention it as baby GLS. Well they forget to mention a car which was in the Mercedes global line up called as the GLK;

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-glk-1-.jpeg

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-glk-2.jpeg

Above product was also made to look like the bigger GLS (then known as GL), pictured as under;

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-gl.jpg

Interestingly the GLK was that time based on the rear wheel drive C Class platform, currently there already is a product based on the RWD C Class platform called the GLC. Is the GLB the successor of the GLK ? Technically not, may be GLB's predecessor may be the GLK, however one thing is clear now that the car impersonating the GLS is a FWD platform car made out of the stretched MFA 2 platform called the GLB.

Design;

Mercedes have been able to give the GLB a more;

Upright Stance;

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-img_1452.jpg

Kink in the shoulderline;

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-img_1451-2.jpeg

All this with a Longer Wheelbase accommodating 2 extra seats and made to look more serious than the GLA;

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-img_1450-2.jpeg

From my eyes the GLB's design is an amalgamation of the Van, SUV & a Station wagon combined into one.

Driving Experience;

The variant I tested was the 220d Diesel (Engine Code: OM654);

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-screenshot-20230723-12.09.37-pm.png

Buy the diesels till you can, another reason to buy the diesel over the other IC option is an underpowered Petrol motor. The drivability is amazing at any speed, the engine tune of the 220d with the 400 NM on tap feels more than sufficient in most situations. Outright performance is impressive considering its weight with the 100 hitting around the 7.5 sec. mark. Paddle shifters are a joy to use as they are made of full metal. This 220 diesel model gets a 8 speed DCT gearbox. Interestingly it isnt as jerky as a DCT would be. Some definite detuning has been done in the clutch actuations for sure especially for the 1st couple of gears. Comprehensively this engine & gearbox combo works out well to offer a balance of performance, fun & efficiency.

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-screenshot-20230723-12.18.33-pm.png

The GLB diesel handles well for its size & weight (1735 kgs) that's not a surprise, because it's the same platform of the GLA.

The steering is also very predictable in most situations and doesn't spoil the handling. It's got the moves & it's agile enough to keep you engaged & on the limit the 4Matic AWD system will always be on the lookout for you & helping. It's important to note that this is a full time AWD and not switchable system.

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-img_1437-2.jpg

Though yes it is surely front biased which is felt when driving hard.

Overall suspension tuning is good as it does deliver a balance of handling & ride quality considering we are on a 19" Setup.

Interiors;

Front is identical to that of the GLA, in fact i remember driving the GLA 2 years back (Shared the review on TEAM-BHP as well) it had this same spec. interior, seats etc. so its interesting that Mercedes have carried forward this design, however Being a CBU import this cabin may hold a slight edge over the GLA.

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-screenshot-20230723-12.15.54-pm.png

Many may think that the only advantage the GLB has over the GLA is 2 extra seats, well thats not quite it, because the GLB trumps the middle row with much more space & legroom than the GLA (Note: 100 mm > wheelbase than the GLA). Is it a true 7 seater, well its best to call it a car which has 7 seats, if you know what i mean.

Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic-screenshot-20230724-10.46.14-pm.png

Final Thoughts;

To conclude things it would be fair to say that the GLB sets out to achieve being a more practical & spacious option than the GLA while being a little more compact than the GLC & providing 2 more seats which both dont offer. I am aware that there is an full EV EQB (TEAM-BHP review is available in the Electric Cars part of our forum) on offer too but as an enthusiast my pick would be the Diesel

Last edited by karan561 : 24th July 2023 at 23:06.
karan561 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 23:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic

I had a look at this recently but was put off that their stock was mostly 2022 models but with good discounts
bottle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 21:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: Mercedes-Benz GLB (X247) 220d 4Matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I had a look at this recently but was put off that their stock was mostly 2022 models but with good discounts
If the discounts are good then surely its a better pick than the GLA.

Also not sure when the new 2023 lot is planned or in pipeline but in the meantime the facelift has already been revealed globally so there may be high chances that soon the next lot will be of that (with new prices probably).

All the best

Last edited by karan561 : 25th July 2023 at 21:51.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 23:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

We were recently looking for New GLA for a friend, came across an unregistered GLB at one of the MB showrooms. I was being offered at pretty heavy discounts, unfortunately was gone in the meantime we decided upon it.
agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 10:32   #5

Now I know how Renault Triber got that good looking "side-profile"
Old 27th July 2023, 12:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Are they actually offering discounts these days or are they still holding fast to the "all inventory is held by mercedes, ex showroom is fixed" model? Or the we can give you reduced interest rate/free warranty packages that is basically a discount.
Old 27th July 2023, 17:05   #7

Can you elaborate on what kind of discounts were being offered? Thanks.
Old 27th July 2023, 20:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Are they actually offering discounts these days or are they still holding fast to the "all inventory is held by mercedes, ex showroom is fixed" model? Or the we can give you reduced interest rate/free warranty packages that is basically a discount.
I was told that the offers were by Mercedes directly, I was told there was 8 lacs off on GLB but didnt pursue it.

For C300, I was told there is 2.5 off on ex showroom and 1.5 lacs off insurance for 2022 model

You can check this link and filter for offers to see the offers on current stock

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.in/pass...tment=vehicles
bottle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 17:28   #9
BHPian

Hello, I recently purchased a GLB200 Petrol in Germany. It is a 2023 manufactured car. Even then it does not have a Wireless Car Play. And to top it all, it does not have full screen car play using cable. Mercedes is way behind in software.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks