Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2023, 15:01   #1
BHPian

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury

We brought home Hyundai New i20 in June-23 and happy to share my experience so far.
Prior to owning New i20, we owned two cars 3.2 Ford Endeavour 4X4 AT (still own it) and Grand i10, both diesel. Grand i10 was purchased in 2014 and Endeavour in 2017. While both cars were doing the fine job, thanks to stupid 10 year diesel car rule in NCR, which made us think about replacing at least one or more of our cars as problem was further compounded by GRAP (Graded Action Response Plan by NGT) norms to control pollutions in NCR, which basically means both cars cannot be seen on road most of the time during winter (GRAP II & III takes off all EURO III Petrol & EURO IV Diesel Cars from NCR Road. Oct to March time frame)

We considered following options.

1. Sell both diesel cars and buy a mid size SUV which both me & my wife can drive.
2. Replace Grand i10 by a petrol hatchback (more straight forward & logical option)
3. Keep Grand i10 till 10th year and replace Endeavour with another SUV as we were not getting good price for Grand i10 but Endeavour was a fetching a decent price.
4. Change Job instead of car (too many problem in NCR and we do not want to be contributing to any of these )
5. Do nothing and wait for more drama (Every year new rule, what if they ban petrol cars in coming years)

On wishful thinking narrowed down to 1&2 option and accordingly following cars were thought of

For Option 1
1. Skoda Kushaq 1.5 DSG (Montecarlo edition)
2. Toyota Hyryder/ Grand Vitara Hybrid
3. BMW X3 30i
4. BMW X1 18d/18i (after X3 30i was discontinued and we really liked X1)
5. Volvo XC60

For Option 2
1. Maruti Baleno AGS
2. Hyundai New i20 iVT
3. Hyundai New i20 Turbo DCT
4. Hyundai Venue DCT

Started test driving cars for option 1 and while I liked them while driving, on returning to my Endeavour they felt like a compromise except X3 30i and Volvo XC60. We found XC60 too wide for Delhi/Gurgaon and X3 looked just ok but it was discontinued without notice. Had sales advisor hinted about it we could have made our decision in Mar-23 but in beginning itself we had communicated to dealers than plan is to own car by June-July only and probably that made dealer less interested in us. Still in love with BMW, changed dealer and started looking for X1. While it satisfied most of our requirement, we did not feel like spending 55 lakhs for such puny engine.
So we moved to option 2 and planned to continue with Endeavour till we get good match.

For Option 2, it was basically Hyundai Vs Maruti. Past experience are hard to go and that ruled out Tata cars. I must admit Baleno drives better than i20 iVT but for the AGS shifts are not smooth and very evident during quick acceleration. It was also value for money as for same price of i20 iVT Sportz, we were getting Zeta version which had 6 airbags as against 2 in Sportz. But AGS was a big no. Also Maruti kept on increasing prices since last December and cost benefit of AGS over previously offered CVT no longer exist. Baleno on road price was increased by 35000 as against 18000 for i20. That made us look for i20 DCT as well as Venue DCT. Venue was ruled out as it would have been another SUV genre car. Also i20 is more spacious and drives like a car as against Venue which due to higher GC did throw us around at corners.
In i20 range itself, we were totally confused as we kept trying upward trims all the way up to N line, finally took a decision to spend less on this secondary car and save for bigger one later.
However looking back, I must admit that i20 IVT in Asta(O) trim would have been better as for additional 2 lakhs, we would have got everything including 6 airbags.
All said, we finally we got our New i20 iVT 1.2 Kappa in Sportz trim.

Booking process

While we test drove i20 through another dealer, which is one of the oldest in NCR, we realized that new dealers offer better service and promises than established one, who take things for granted and talk as if they really obliged us by selling us a car. This is specifically true of Hyundai and Mahindra. Maruti's are still much better inspite of waiting time and almost nil discounts on some of its models.

As expected the dealer and salesman did a wonderful job arranging the car and the waiting period was clearly displayed on screen with a promise to deliver earlier than that. Also the booking form clearly mentioned that accessories, Insurances and other add-ons are optional and one has no obligation to buy from them. Full marks to dealer and sales man. While the white color was available immediately we chose red color and hence had to wait for almost 4 weeks.

Ex-Showroom Price: Rs 9,14,900/-
Road Tax: Rs 76,542/-
Insurance (Zero Dep, unlimited claim, no Engine protector but consumables included): Rs 27,500/- from New India
FasTag: Rs 600
Discount Scheme: Rs 20,000/-
Freebies: Car Freshener & Deity
Dealer Name; Karma Hyundai, Noida Sector 49

The car arrived in dealers stockyard on night of June 8th. Did PDI on 9th morning. The car was made/inspected on 25-May and fresh from oven with absolutely nothing adverse to report. We were pleasantly surprise to receive Sportz trim with automatic climate control (Hyundai call them FATC) as due to shortage of FATC, Hyundai's are dispatching Sportz trim FATC as well as non-FATC (giving a notional benefit of Rs 3500/- incase you get or decide to take the non-FATC model) This is beyond dealers control and you are left to the wills & fancies of a dominant car manufacturer like Hyundai (e.g. for Tucson, Creta, Venue, i20, Grand i10 Neos) or Mahindras (e.g. for XUV700, Thar)
God bless you if we decide to buy one such model, you may face frustration and helplessness as we really felt it once we decided to own i20 IVT Sportz, which is perhaps the only hatchback available in non-AMT (EDIT: Tata Altroz DCA exist but we did not consider) for close to Rs 10 Lakhs. Can't imagine spending Rs 10 lakhs just to own a decent automatic as a secondary car for local commute. Not long ago we could buy a luxury sedan for same money.
Necessity is the new luxury in today's car market. Welcome to the new era of Supplier's (car manufacturers) powers. Looks like we have gone 30 years back when we had to use all our contacts to get Maruti 800. Things are no different except that we have more Marutis and very soon we will be left with only few Marutis as I genuinely feel that more shops would get closed like Ford & GM.
Sorry for deviating from car booking & delivery process but really felt strongly about todays new car market.

The car paperwork was done in no time and we decided to take the delivery in evening. The delivery event was well organized as I said before the new dealers are better at it.

The usual hand-over ceremony. There was cake cutting stuff as well but away from car in the showroom area.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230609-9.16.17-pm.jpeg

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230609-9.16.19-pm.jpeg

Drove the car as gently and slowly as possible all th way to Temple, fuel station and home. Have heard many horror stories on delivery of new car. God is kind.

Last edited by Wanderers : 10th July 2023 at 15:37.
Wanderers is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 15:15   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai New i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz: Necessity turns Luxury

Hyundai New i20 iVT Sportz Fiery Red

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.31-pm.jpeg

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.25-pm-1.jpeg

What I like about the car

1. Design- both inside as well as outside. The black front grill looks stunning with zero chrome. The black skid plates & skirting on sides looks great. Moving to the rear, I really like the tail-lights and I must admit that all my hatch-backs (Zen, Swift, Grand i10) had admirable rear looks and probably that's what it should be when you call it a hatch-back . In interior, dashboard is designed very nicely with well integrated ICE & ACC and I liked it better than Venue or even newly launched Verna.

2. Black interiors- Everyone knows that there are plenty of hard plastic inside but no one complains just because they have been brilliantly designed, textured and laid out.

3. Steering Wheel- I like 4 spoke steering of normal i20 better than the 3 spoke in N line version. Looks great with those aluminum inserts.

4. Music System- Even the non-Bose (likely Arkamys as the name no longer shown in setting) sounds good (7/10) except that bass is limited (no Woofer in Sportz trim)

5. Auto Climatic Control (FATC)- Looks very premium and well put together and very easy to operate.

6. 8" Touchscreen with wireless car play & Android auto- The wireless CarPlay connects in no time and there is no disconnection. You can customize home screen and map & music will take you directly to CarPlay recently used respective app. If you do not want to use CarPlay but only listen to music, you can control the app on home screen itself.

7.Rear Legroom- Space is better than some of the sedans in our market.

8. Auto folding ORVMs- No need to bother about folding them when you park your car and they open as soon as you open the car.

What I dislike about the car

1. Width to length ratio- While European version with some extra mm in length looks well proportionate in side view, this car is too short or too wide (either way) for its size. Need to be mindful that this is a hatchback with sedan consideration to be taken while driving.

2. Old dated Engine- 1.2L petrol engine from Hyundai is very old and Hyundai could have offered some better or upgraded engine in this 10+ lakhs plus car. Yes we do have Turbo option but there is scope for improvement in this NA Engine including fuel efficiency which need improvement (Competition Tata & Maruti offer more fuel efficient & fun to drive engines)

3. Hyundai CVT is not the same as Honda CVT (that was my expectation) The CVT or iVT which Hyundai call do not behave same every time and more close to AMT than a CVT except for shift jerk in AMTs. One needs to be careful on ramp and also in reverse wherein it accelerate fast.

4. Mediocre Horn- Thought of changing it but decide against it for time being (not trying to cut any wire for now, after market coupler do not work for long due to high current flow)

5. Missing Safety features in mid trims- Competition provide 6 airbags in mid trims (Baleno) while Hyundai only provide 6 airbags & traction control in top of the top (only in Asta option) variant only. New Exter will come with 6 airbags in all the trims.

6. Big Premium for Automatic gear-box- Post April 2023, there is hardly any difference between Sportz and Magna trim as Magna has been upgraded with digital instrument cluster & 8" touch screen found in Sportz and Sportz has been almost downgraded by removing automatic air conditioning. So except for rear LED lights, designed steel wheels, turn indicator on ORVM & side glass chrome linings there are no visible difference between Magna & Sportz. Automatic is only available in Sportz & Asta (Option) so you pay a big premium (close to 2 lakhs) for an automatic version.

7. No auto day night IRVM in any of the trims. Hyundai can do all sorts of customization to add 3 buttons buttons (SOS, bluelink & roadside assistance in IRVM) but cannot provide auto day-night mode although the housing can accommodate & has electrical point available to cater to auto dimming feature.

8. Non illuminated power window switches in all the trims (except driver's window switch) Also the quality of switches are very bad. First generation of i20 had better switches.

9. Non-reclining and no 40:60 rear seat spilt at rear- Considering less boot space & this being a premium hatch-back, Hyundai should have given these.

10. No boot lamp in Sportz trim, also the cargo self continues to shade the boot area even after you open the tailgate so the boot does not gets the cabin light, which is pretty good as such.

11. Only one foldable remote key, the other spare key is basic key. I do not miss the push button but would have felt better with at least two remote/foldable keys.

12. The fuel tank capacity is only 37 litres (less than my outgoing Grand i10- 40 litres) add to this mediocre fuel efficiency and you don't get more than 450 km range in city traffic. This is really very bad.

Interiors

The all black dashboard- love or hate it. No soft touch material here but can't complain as quality & texture makes the difference.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.16-pm.jpeg

I love black and red combination (after market seats)

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.23-pm-3.jpeg

Nice 4 spoke steering with both tilt & telescopic adjustment function. Left side controls for music & phone while right side for MID & cruise control. One thing to note about cruise control, you can activate it by single press unlike other cars wherein you need to press cruse control and then speed +/-. Need to be careful to avoid pressing it accidently.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.32-pm-1.jpeg

All digital instrument cluster. I would like to say about digital instrument cluster that manufacturer decide to give them but never spend time designing them to make good use of digital space. Be it BMW, Jeep or Hyundai (I only have seen these) they have no clue what to consider when going all digital. Its like you getting an entire football field to play and do not know how to make good use of it. Hyundai is no different, you get two sets- speedo & tachometer info on screen, while we would have loved additional details showing in a better way and without any scrolling or toggle.
Other thing I find that manufacturer shifting to digital screen is not exactly for giving premium feature but they turn out to be cheaper than analog ones. Same thing can be said for ICE. Physical buttons do cost more. So BMW all digital cockpit as an upgrade, I don't think so.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.32-pm-2.jpeg

8" touch screen with wireless Android auto and CarPlay. Connection is seamless and instantaneous.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.32-pm.jpeg

Entertainment system without CarPlay connected looks like this

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-img_1921.jpeg

Well designed & easy to use automatic climate control (Hyundai calls it FATC- Fully automatic temperature control) note that center facia is tilted toward driver.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.05-pm.jpeg

The gear lever looks premium unlike AMTs. The gear markings are well illuminated with "R" in red color. Only problem that you can shift from Neutral to Drive "D" even without releasing the lock and/or without pressing the brakes. So if you have stopped in "N" and someone (kids) moves the lever, you have a problem. Ideally this should not happen while converse "D" to "N" should be possible (no problem there)

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.14-pm.jpeg

Centre armrest with storage bin is pretty small and armrest is fixed type in Sportz trim.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.34-pm-1.jpeg

No auto dimming IRVM (not present in any of the trims) rear visibility is not great as such. Need to make use of rear camera while reversing. Rear camera is good with adoptive guidelines.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.33-pm-1.jpeg

Roof lamps with Sun-glass holder. There is another cabin light in center of the roof for entire cabin, these are map reading lights.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.33-pm-2.jpeg

Door opening lever in black metal looks premium. Piano black on hand-rest would have gone well with this.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.35-pm-1.jpeg

Sportz trim get normal speakers with tweeters on front doors, no woofer in trunk. Sound quality from these speakers are equally good.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.35-pm-2.jpeg

Driver's control for windows & ORVMs. Driver's window is only auto down.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.35-pm.jpeg

Automatic headlamps works better than my Ford Endeavor as response is very quick. Also even if you do not put the lights in "Auto" you get warning on instrument cluster (with beep sound) whenever there is dark, that "Light are not on". This is good safety features, specifically in city wherein people forget to switch on headlight.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.44-pm.jpeg

Wiper has variable intermittent speeds with wide range.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.46-pm.jpeg

The instrument cluster shows exactly which door, the bonnet or the boot is open.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.47-pm.jpeg

Rear AC vents throws out good amount of cool air but cannot be closed (did not try hard as my friend broke one in my Grand i10 while trying to close) which was the case in my old Grand i10.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.23-pm.jpeg

Rear door trim- all black.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.23-pm-1.jpeg

Hyundai provide space for putting our Deity. Front visibility is slightly crippled by floating ICE although overall dashboard height is low so one gets use to it.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.33-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Wanderers : 10th July 2023 at 18:44.
Wanderers is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 13:16   #3
BHPian

Exteriors

Front look, plenty of crease, lines and design bits. looks quite imposing for a hatch-back.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.24-pm-1.jpeg

Massive grill, good things comes in black, chrome would have been disaster.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.24-pm-2.jpeg

Large windscreen. The front visibility is good overall except for floating ICE which may cause hinderance to short heighted passenger but we do have height adjustable driver's seat, which has wide range.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.25-pm.jpeg

1.2 litre four cylinder engine fills up engine bay quite well but does not get a cover like 1 litre turbo engine. May be the 3 cylinder turbo block feel shy

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.31-pm-2.jpeg

Here on sides, you realize that European i20 is the true i20. Length to width ratio is a non-proportionate. Can't believe that the new i20 is even wider than New Verna (wider by 5 mm) not all of the width add inner space. Better and stronger doors? Not sure. Hyundai could have better used the space for inner width (New Verna looks more spacious with even lesser width) or kept the width down by 20-25 mm.
I love body color door handles better than chrome ones as I had chrome ones on Grand i10 which looses its shine over period of time. Also note that Hyundai premium cars like Tucson comes in body color door handles. Chrome lining running across the window line does not look very bad. One gets Auto or DCT badging on fender depending upon the model. No badging for manual. Also no comfort access or request button for central lock in i20 In my Grand i10, most of the time I ended up using remote buttons only, so not a missing feature for me.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.31-pm.jpeg

One of the better angle to admire this beauty.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.30-pm.jpeg

Again, well contoured rear hatch. The chrome lining does not look excessive. Also the bottom skid plate skid/lining in shinning black looks sporty.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.29-pm.jpeg

No visible rear camera, which is concealed alongside license plate lights

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.25-pm-1.jpeg

Normal bulb (upgraded to LED here) in reflector set-up in Sportz trim. Higher trim get LED lamp in projector set-up with eyebrow style DRL.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.52-pm-1.jpeg

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.30-pm.jpeg

In Sportz trim, we do get DRLs, which are independent units housed above the fog lights. Fog lights are good & hence I did not upgrade.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.49-pm-2.jpeg

Parking light in action.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.29-pm.jpeg

Headlight in action (after upgrade to LED)

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.28-pm.jpeg

Taillight in action. Z shaped LED lamp looks better in reality than this photo.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.49-pm.jpeg

Closer look on tail lamp design from side. Also notice how Fuel lid is nicely integrated alongside tail lamp.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.50-pm-1.jpeg

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.51-pm-1.jpeg

Front Skid plate in black.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.49-pm-3.jpeg

Side skirting in black with i20 branding looks really cool & goes well with black styled steel wheels on Sportz trim

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.50-pm.jpeg

Sportz trim gets actually steel wheels but looks like alloys. Great thinking here. No need to upgrade. Incase you decide to upgrade to stock alloys, it is possible @Rs 8000/ alloy, Tyre size in Sportz & Asta are same.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.31-pm-1.jpeg

One get conventional type of wipers, no complain but could have been offered with Bosch type flat wiper blades.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.51-pm-2.jpeg

The spray nozzles are nicely concealed.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.52-pm.jpeg

No request senor but key hole in nicely integrated with door handle.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.52-pm-2.jpeg

Sharp looking LED turn indicators on ORVMs.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.48-pm.jpeg

Shark-fin Antenna in body color.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.49-pm-1.jpeg

No you don't get a rear wiper and washer and there is a notch on rear glass to keep reminding you about it. I know we keep saying about the need for rear wiper from safety point of view but never on my Grand i10, I genuinely needed it. I always operated it to check if its working or keep it in working condition. This is to do with changing driving habits, wherein we rely more on ORVMs than IRVMs.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.51-pm.jpeg

Noteworthy Features

1. Auto-folding Mirrors- The ORVMs opens as soon as you unlock the car. A feature which my Ford Endeavour also does not have. In fact Hyundai started giving this long ago and even my Grand i10 2014 had it.

2. Steering Tilt & Telescopic adjustment- One can easily get the best driving position coupled with height adjustable driver's seat which has good range. Very good for long journey wherein we can change for relaxed driving.

3. Sun-glass holder- Good to have a sun glass holder. Don't forget to take out your glasses when you give the car for service. I always miss it.

4. R16 Wheel size- This is a good size to take the car on any road. Upgraded tyres (Stock tyres not great) on R16 will be a great highway cruiser.

5. Auto reducing AC blower speed when you get a phone call.

Last edited by Wanderers : 10th July 2023 at 15:43.
Wanderers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 15:14   #4
BHPian

How it like to drive 1.2 litre Petrol iVT

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.31-pm-2.jpeg

Hyundai has continued with 1197 cc exiting engine which was doing the service in 2nd generation i20 elite but another 999 cc turbo engine with DCT as an option in higher trims including Sportz trim. If you bought this car for driving long distance or fun to drive factor , go ahead and buy 999 cc turbo variants. This is not the car for enthusiast and peppy feel drive. I am a huge fan of naturally aspirated petrol engines and would avoid turbo. My traditional mindset fail to accept smaller petrol engine with turbo charger doing a great job in long run. Also I do hear complains about turbo charged petrol engines. This is further complicated by additional of DCT, which by nature of their construction have been branded non-reliable specially when compared to a torque converter. Having said this, I must admit 999 cc turbo petrol is good engine to drive in city traffic as I can quickly accelerate to cover any clear road. The 1197 cc NA petrol engine is a generation (or may be more) old and needs replacement completely. Its no where near Maruti 1.2L Petrol engine but there are many things else which make i20 still a better buy. The engine is extremely salient and probably the reason why Hyundai do not give any engine cover or Insulation.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-img_1913.jpeg

Car being driven in open stretch of road. DRL comes on when car is start & handbrake is in released position irrespective of gear selector position.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-img_1912.jpeg

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-img_1915.jpeg

Having driven ~650 km so far and find that the acceleration although slow paced is extremely uniform & there is no surprise except that you need to get use to it. There is enough low rpm grunt to pull you up from the parking without any gas and same is true while reversing as well. Low speed crawl is also easily managed in bumper to bumper traffic. This is what which makes it a good city car as long as you drive sedately. Any speed below 70 and it drive butter smooth. Things get different once you cross 80 km mark, the engine + iVT starts struggling and it takes an age to cross 100 mark. My older Grand i10 diesel did better than this till 100 mark.
The ride is not comfortable either. The speed bumps are strongly felt at all speeds till 80 km/h and also car seems to be begging for wider tyres. Fuel efficiency is not great as well. So far I have got any overall average of 10.6 km/h in city traffic. Hope to see some improvement after 1000 km first service for whatever they do in this service. Front seating comfort is good but not great as expected from such wide body car, however rear is good for three people, plenty of leg space and now we also get adjustable headrest for all 3 passengers at back. Boot space is lower than Baleno or Altroz but looks wide enough to take big suitcases.
Coming to iVT gear-box, this is not the CVT as seen on Honda cars and carries some of the behaviors of a typical AMT gear-box. The iVT gear-box tends to get confused on upward ramp and only after a strong press of gas pedal, one feel in control. But the problem is not this but the uncertain behavior every time on such ramps. It behaves as required sometimes and other times it needs a strong push. So basically the gear-box get confused and one needs to be aware about this . May be one need to adjust the driving habit accordingly.
The overall visibility from drivers position is good and steering gives good feedback and auto returns to center after turning is also achieved quite well. The reverse camera with adoptive lines are equally good. There are only 2 rear sensors and I see that in many of the newer cars. I hope they are designed to cover complete rear as people do caution to be alert about the rear corners. I believe 2 sensors are designed to take care of entire rear and we should not unnecessary feel worried as Hyundai have no reason to give only 2 sensors after having decided to give this features. I did not face any problem so far.

Display options on MID

Overall driving data & fuel economy since last reset.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-img_1918.jpeg

Driving data & fuel economy for current date

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-img_1916.jpeg

TPMS in action. I plan to maintain 35 Psi all around and would reduce tyre pressure. Slightly higher pressure for new tyres are recommended (welcome any comment here)

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-img_1917.jpeg

User settings for light, Auto folding mirror & auto locking of doors. yet to see what service interval setting does. I think it had some reset option for next service mileage.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-img_1920.jpeg

Upgrades & accessories

1. LED Headlamp bulbs (Rs 7000 Aazoom brand- 2 years replacement warranty)
2. Ambient lighting (Rs 8500, 10 pieces Cardi K4)
3. Cabin light bulb upgrade to LED (Rs 100 per bulb, total 3 nos)
4. Leather Seat Cover (Rs 9500, comfort brand with 2 years warranty. Autoform brand cost similar but was not available immediately for non-side airbags models)
5. GFX rubber mat (Rs 2500) 7D mats looks great only for few days and not great in Indian conditions. No wonder most premium brands (BMW, Jeep) sale rubber mat only although their quality levels are top notch but GFX (Galio brand) is no less.
6. Leather wrapped steering wheel with red cross stitching. (Rs 1800)

LED Headlamps in action

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.27-pm-1.jpeg

Aozoom brand- 65W + 65W

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.25-pm.jpeg

Low Beam. Low beam is extremely good

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.26-pm.jpeg

High beam is eqaully good except that mine is directed more towards right (Coming from left side) will go for adjustment & see if it improves. Also drove in heavy rains and light worked as desired, no refraction or scattering of beam in rains.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.26-pm-1.jpeg

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.25-pm-1.jpeg

Ambient light in action

This is control through an app (LED LAMP) available in both iOS & Android. 10 piece means 6 long ones for dashboard & doors, rest are small lights which can be installed at desired location. You get in 6 piece, 10 piece and 18 piece set. Mine is 10 piece.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.24-pm.jpeg

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.23-pm.jpeg

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.08-pm.jpeg

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.24-pm-1.jpeg

Footwell lights. one can change both color as well as brightness.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.04.30-pm-1.jpeg

LED bulb for Cabin light

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.34-pm.jpeg

Leathers seat covers. Post Mar-23, most of Hyundai cars comes with 3 headrest at back with all seats having three points seat belt and the instrument cluster gets reminder for rear seat belt but only when there is an occupant at back. The reminder sign is mild (white in color) without any sound unlike front seat belt reminder. Good stuff here by Hyundai.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.14-pm-1.jpeg

GFC floor mat

Special mention about the size as they are very precise to interior dimensions of the available space.

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.23-pm-2.jpeg

Leather wrapped steering wheel

My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.05.32-pm-3.jpeg

Future upgrade

1. Wireless charging (Currently using Magsafe for Apple, which is actually better.
2. Ceramic Coating
3. Bumper/Bonnet PPF
4. Boot Light.
5. Neck-rest

Thanks for reading. Welcome all your suggestions and comments.

Last edited by Wanderers : 10th July 2023 at 15:45.
Wanderers is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 05:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 12:07   #6
BHPian

Re: My Hyundai i20 1.2 Kappa iVT Sportz Ownership Review | Necessity turns Luxury

Congratulations on your new purchase and thank you for the detailed review.
Keep this thread active with your observations.
abhkop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 13:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great write up on your latest acquisition.

I have a similar color Sportz imt 1.0 turbo and very happy with the vehicle. Except that the 16" wheels make the ride harsh while a 15" would have been much smoother IMO.

Secondly, I'm thinking of going for H19 LED bulbs and the pictures you have put up are quite helpful in making up my mind. The right ward deviation of the headbeams is not discernable in your pics. Did you use H19 bulbs? The H4 bulbs do not fit nicely in the socket and could be the cause of the deviation.

Last edited by goandude : 12th July 2023 at 13:26.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 22:59   #8
BHPian

Really well-written review. Perfectly encapsulates my thoughts. In fact, I've had a similar journey too — I moved from a Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz 1.2 Petrol MT to a Hyundai i20 Sportz DCT (yes, this variant is a unicorn, and I had to wait for 6 months to get one), but it was worth the wait.

Over the CVT it gets:
a. Factory fit leather seats
b. Metal pedals
c. Of course, the turbo badging and the rather sweet 1.0 litre turbo with the DCT transmission.

It's amazing though, how many things have been cut down over the years from the Grand i10 Sportz (2014) to the i20 Sportz (2022). Useful stuff, like:
a. The push-button start-stop and request sensors
b. The boot lamp (I really miss this)
c. Burglar alarm
d. Illuminated power-window switches.

It has gained a lot too, but that is pretty much par for course.

Last edited by TejasKinger : 12th July 2023 at 23:00. Reason: Typo
TejasKinger is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 12:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I have a similar color Sportz imt 1.0 turbo and very happy with the vehicle. Except that the 16" wheels make the ride harsh while a 15" would have been much smoother IMO.
Have you thought about wider tyre in same size as I was thinking about it initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Secondly, I'm thinking of going for H19 LED bulbs and the pictures you have put up are quite helpful in making up my mind.
Yes I went with H19. You can see H19 in photograph of the LED bulb box which I have posted. H19 is easy to fit in the given space but you still need to take out the light due to access issue in engine bay. H19 is easily available. H4 do not have required cut-out for fitment like H19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasKinger View Post

It's amazing though, how many things have been cut down over the years from the Grand i10 Sportz (2014) to the i20 Sportz (2022). Useful stuff, like:
a. The push-button start-stop and request sensors
b. The boot lamp (I really miss this)
c. Burglar alarm
d. Illuminated power-window switches.

It has gained a lot too, but that is pretty much par for course.
Yes, I fail to understand how deleting smaller stuff like boot light, illuminated switches, burglar alarm help them reduce cost.

I really don't miss push-button even though the previous car had that, reason, I rarely used request sensor and push button start had initial charm which soon did not matter. In fact I now remember that I bought Grand i10 Asta over Sportz for steering controls/leather wrap as the initial Grand i10 Sportz (till Dec-14) had request senor & push button start. Asta had no extra safety features than Sportz.

Last edited by Wanderers : 14th July 2023 at 12:24.
Old 23rd July 2023, 11:33   #10
BHPian

Nice review! I'm in the process of buying a new i20 Magna MT variant. I'm torn between Atlas White and Fiery Red colors. Which one looks better on the base variant without chrome?

PS: The White looks good but has become too common now. I like the Red but I'm apprehensive the rear will end up looking a bit too red as the connecting bar between the rear lights is also red. Also, are there any paint quality issues with the Red like fading?

Last edited by Gotcha : 23rd July 2023 at 11:39. Reason: Added more details
Old 23rd July 2023, 12:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
Nice review! I'm in the process of buying a new i20 Magna MT variant. I'm torn between Atlas White and Fiery Red colors. Which one looks better on the base variant without chrome?

PS: The White looks good but has become too common now. I like the Red but I'm apprehensive the rear will end up looking a bit too red as the connecting bar between the rear lights is also red. Also, are there any paint quality issues with the Red like fading?
White will age well in sun so if you park above ground and intend to keep the car for long time go for white, silver or even grey. Dark colours warrants cars to be parked in cool away from sun. Also there are paint protection options as well. Paint quality of hyundai is very good.
Regarding rear, I believe there are after market chrome available but red is not the concern as you have pointed above since most likely the connecting line is black (not red) but may be different in Magna.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 15:06   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car, there is nothing like a comfort of an CVT transmission hatchback in city drive conditions. Hope it serves you well.

There are quite a few electrical accessories you have got installed in a new car, I hope you are aware that this voids the vehicle warranty on electrical parts & then taken an informed decision.

I am interested to know more about the Cardi Ambient lighting you are using, I have few questions about it:
  1. how's the experience and their performance so far?
  2. Any connectivity issue with app?
  3. Is it hardwired to fuse box or plugged to 12v Charging socket?
  4. are single colors also available or only RGB as seen in pics.

I am keen to get these installed in my (Out of Warranty) car too. your inputs are highly appreciated.
Strider24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 10:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post

There are quite a few electrical accessories you have got installed in a new car, I hope you are aware that this voids the vehicle warranty on electrical parts & then taken an informed decision.

I am keen to get these installed in my (Out of Warranty) car too. your inputs are highly appreciated.

Cardi K4 Ambient light is fantastic, working absolutely fine and the app control is great, no connectivity issue, you don't need to go to Bluetooth to connect, it automatically connect through app (does not show in Bluetooth)
It is hardwired to fusebox (tapped from spare fuse)
All colors are available including single as well as white color. You can choose to configure any color just like you do in computer.

Did not think much about warranty and keeping finger crossed.

Last edited by Wanderers : 1st August 2023 at 10:40.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 16:04   #14
BHPian

First of of all many hearty congratulations on your new car purchase. It's a really nice write up. I really enjoyed reading it.
I am in a similar situation and am torn up between Maruti and Hyundai. On one side I am getting good deal on i20 which brings it in the price range of ignis. On other side there is baleno which is also a good product but no significant discount. Baleno will rather be around 25k higher than i20 even after discounts. But Baleno has defogger and ACC even base model. So it's a tough choice to make and justify the purchase. Car will be my brother's and will be kept for a period of more than 5 years. Any suggestions?
P.S. Getting deal similar to i20 on ignis as well but not as good as i20's. i20 is completely fine and no issues with car. Got it checked in dealer stockyard.
Clown Prince is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 17:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Prince View Post
First of of all many hearty congratulations on your new car purchase. It's a really nice write up. I really enjoyed reading it.
I am in a similar situation and am torn up between Maruti and Hyundai. On one side I am getting good deal on i20 which brings it in the price range of ignis.
I would suggest Baleno if you are considering manual and initial trims as Baleno offers better fuel efficiency and driving pleasure. i20 looks more premium while Baleno looks more sporty. So decide based on your choice.
If features are deciding factor than Baleno would give ACC, while i20 would give better entertainment system and digital instrument cluster.
Ignis is from a two segment below both i20 and Baleno and not recommended at all. A base version of either car is miles ahead of Ignis, don’t get fooled by features. Basically sales guy is trying to push for it for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Wanderers : 2nd August 2023 at 17:15.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks