Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2023, 19:27   #121
BHPian

Re: My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bingo! Was stuck. My PA went early today to get it fixed. I told him to take a video:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ntClUHLx0Zg
Alls well that ends well, Bro please advise your staff not to use the car keys as a tool ( in this case a screwdriver should have been used).
Regards
Vinod_nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 20:14   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Bingo! Was stuck. My PA went early today to get it fixed. I told him to take a video.
Loved the way the Service Personnel explained it to the PA. He gave him instructions twice just to make sure that he doesn't drop by again for their silly niggles in future.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 21:36   #123
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
If your Thar has an EVAP Canister, that might be the culprit, but again its just a hunch.
Thanks! Will check if it comes up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Alls well that ends well, Bro please advise your staff not to use the car keys as a tool ( in this case a screwdriver should have been used)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
He gave him instructions twice
My PA is very, very thorough. If you noticed, he insisted on the repeat instructions.

Quote:
just to make sure that he doesn't drop by again for their silly niggles in future.
Have you seen my other 10-year old car? It runs like new & doesn't have a rattle to show for it. It genuinely looks & feels like a 3 - 4 year old car, goes like a rocket and is damn "tight". Or my other 25-year old one?

The reason they are in top shape is:

- I get all the smaller things fixed.

- I use the best parts.

- I use the best labour.

- I overspend on their maintenance (in terms of time, effort & money)

When the Mahindra workshop is 20-minutes away from my house & my car is still within the warranty period, why would I bother with the corner-of-the-road garage of dubious origin? I will continue visiting the authorised workshop for all my niggles & problems, no matter how small or silly one may think they are.

Related Article (Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape) on keeping cars in top shape

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2023 at 21:37.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 23:50   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Have you seen my other 10-year old car? It runs like new & doesn't have a rattle to show for it. It genuinely looks & feels like a 3 - 4 year old car, goes like a rocket and is damn "tight".
If a BHPian has missed this thread and Gannu’s Polo thread; he surely has missed a Gold Mine. In fact I had once dropped by a famous Vada Pav eatery(obviously you know which) and had seen it in flesh. Your pet peeve of maintaing Rims was also witnessed and can be seen on the 530d.

Quote:
Or my other 25-year old one?
The 3rd engine on it sums it up on how well you have maintained it.

Quote:
The reason they are in top shape is:

- I get all the smaller things fixed.

- I use the best parts.

- I use the best labour.

- I overspend on their maintenance (in terms of time, effort & money)

I will continue visiting the authorised workshop for all my niggles & problems, no matter how small or silly one may think they are.
I totally agree with you. By silly I meant a small thing for them but a big thing for us. We spent around ₹5.8L on our 2015 Innova 2.5V. Probably too much for a Toyota but it served us well for 2.6L KM until this. This included just service and body work. Always serviced at the ASS and just the tyres were changed and balanced outside. We had even given it a complete overhaul after 6 years which included Bodywork and Suspension change and were going to hold it for minimum 10 years. Also, the earlier mentioned amount did not include the Insurance and Tyre Change cost.

My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-img_0599.jpg
This was just in Feb 2023, just a month before. Hope you don't mind me posting the pic on this thread.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 09:38   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
If your Thar has an EVAP Canister, that might be the culprit, but again its just a hunch.
I believe all petrol cars have EVAP canister to trap the petrol fumes and convert them to liquid state again.
My 2012 fluidic Verna 1.6 P AT started smelling of petrol on hot sunny days after the run. ASC cleaned the EVAP and smell was almost gone.
yadavsid21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 13:36   #126
BHPian

Quote:

- Android Auto still has severe disconnection issues. I connect my phone via Bluetooth only.

- And of course, there was the reversing camera niggle on delivery - camera would activate just 50% of the time "R" gear was engaged. That was fixed via a software update at the 1st checkup service.
This is the problem with Mahindra and Tata. So far no major issues (Touching the wood) in my Feb 2023 D AT HT except that scare at 350 kms I had. There was a smoke billowing from engine compartment and it was fixed by ASC. Sleeve was wrongly fixed which got loosened and leaked smoke thus affecting the exhaust recirculation etc. After that it is smooth sailing.

I suggest to update the software of the Infotainment unit. I had an erratic reverse camera and once the software was updated which took 2-4 hours and two trips, then it just works fine now. No delay in switching the camera now. But the screen and video stream quality is worse than Nokia 1 series phone. Wish I had a proper reverse camera and a proper good quality screen.

One irritant I have is the jerky and unrefined gear change lever when going from P to D or D to P etc. The sound is not smooth. Feels like a manual gear lever being slotted as if depressing half clutch. Complete lack of refinement and typical of Mahindra.

Brakes are not refined enough (spoilt by X1 though) even though it just stops satisfactorily.

Lastly, the AVO suspension upgrade I did, started to show its issues especially in bad patches, pot holes and rumble stripes. It is very hard hitting and noisy, so feels uncomfortable. The OEM suspension on the other hand was very soft but less noisy and less hard hitting on bad roads and pot holes so that handling the bad and patchy off road terrain of Chennai ROADS was actually manageable. AVO controls the body roll well though. I need a combination of AVO and OEM suspension.

Just crossed 10k in 8 months and my other drive X1 just crossing 9k in one and half years. So this tells the story that Thar is the preferred vehicle for all the daily runs.

Did anyone notice the small kids always look at Thars and point them to their parents while in traffic. There is something with this Thar that attracts people even the little one! Feels special! This happened many times and show this is still a solid head turner even for people who are on 5 times costlier cars!

Last edited by sgmuser : 14th October 2023 at 13:57. Reason: typos
sgmuser is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 14:21   #127
BHPian

Astute observations!

1. Suspension (halfway between stock and AVO) - the Dr. Nano nitro gas shocks that I bought are precisely this. I may augment with new soft springs at the rear later from the same vendor.

2. Android auto disconnection - I keep getting the facepalmed at the service centers. I am now on my third stereo from Nippon, the OEM. They've changed the USB socket as well but refuse to attempt the next step that is the IP wiring since it'll basically rewire everything inside the cabin. I've gown through at least ten brand new OEM cables some even 6A cables that come with new laptops. The same phone and cables work flawlessly in other cars and in fact fairly well in the scorpio N,.
wooka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 15:10   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
One irritant I have is the jerky and unrefined gear change lever when going from P to D or D to P etc. The sound is not smooth.

Lastly, the AVO suspension upgrade I did, started to show its issues especially in bad patches, pot holes and rumble stripes. It is very hard hitting and noisy, so feels uncomfortable. The OEM suspension on the other hand was very soft but less noisy and less hard hitting on bad roads and pot holes so that handling the bad and patchy off road terrain of Chennai ROADS was actually manageable. AVO controls the body roll well though. I need a combination of AVO and OEM suspension.
Hey, I have faced both of your issues and have found work arounds for them.

1. When you're about to park the car and reach your parking spot, keep the brake pressed and put the car in N and pull the handbrake, then let go of the brake and see if the car is still (to ensure you've pulled the handbrake enough), then put the car in P, this way the load of holding the car will be on the handbrake and not the transmission. Next time when you start the car, the shift from P to D won't be as jerky, ofcourse this works best on flat surfaces, on inclines you might need transmission + handbrake to hold the car in place, then the P to D shift will be a bit jerky.

2. For the AVO suspension I have found that the softest setting in front and 2 clicks above from softest in rear gives the best city ride. When going on highways I just make all the shocks 2 clicks stiffer.
Turbolove is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 19:49   #129

I have had many “niggles” on my Sept 21 Petrol AWD hard top.
The latest are:
1) Had to change the antenna as the radio was not able to catch any station
2) There’s an actuator behind the front passenger glove compartment. When ignition was turned on, it used to make knocking sound —every time.

For both the cases, I went to the authorised service center and they replaced both the parts.
NajSaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 19:51   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
Hey, I have faced both of your issues and have found work arounds for them.

1. When you're about to park the car and reach your parking spot, keep the brake pressed and put the car in N and pull the handbrake, then let go of the brake and see if the car is still (to ensure you've pulled the handbrake enough), then put the car in P, this way the load of holding the car will be on the handbrake and not the transmission. Next time when you start the car, the shift from P to D won't be as jerky, ofcourse this works best on flat surfaces, on inclines you might need transmission + handbrake to hold the car in place, then the P to D shift will be a bit jerky.

2. For the AVO suspension I have found that the softest setting in front and 2 clicks above from softest in rear gives the best city ride. When going on highways I just make all the shocks 2 clicks stiffer.
Thanks bud.

Yes, but this jerky-ness is something I never experienced in any other AT vehicles I have driven. It's more like a very unrefined and unpolished feel one get. I wonder what kind of Experience and QC team they have in Mahindra. Very disappointed ☹️. Simple things which are easy to fix and they miss out.

For the suspension, will try this setting with the AVO. It's easy to do myself. I'll give a feedback. Thanks again.
sgmuser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 18:52   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We're loving the Thar & its driving pleasure is unmatched!

I understand these are all small issues when viewed individually and that mechanically, the car has no problems.
Its you GTO who loves the mechanical part of the Jeep to the core, but i bet not every customer of Thar would be like that. This is where these small things spoil the ownership experience of an almost 20 lac rupee car.

Thar doesnt have as much electronics as a XUV700 as its supposed to be bare bones in comparision, how are other mahindra's doing in this respect?
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 11:53   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- As I'd reported before, in June, the engine mysteriously went into limp mode and wouldn't revv over 2000 rpm. Pulled over & restarted the engine. Been okay since.

- Android Auto still has severe disconnection issues. I connect my phone via Bluetooth only.

- And of course, there was the reversing camera niggle on delivery - camera would activate just 50% of the time "R" gear was engaged. That was fixed via a software update at the 1st checkup service.
Have faced all 3 of the above issues, the limp mode happened a couple of times and hasn't happened again, touchwood. The third time it went to limp mode it was a rat bite which was causing one of the wires to short, they just checked the wires, cleaned the engine bay (the rat was roasted inside) and it has been fine since then strangely.

Android auto - I HATED the frequent disconnections too. However, since I got an iPhone and a Belkin apple certified cable I haven't ever had that happen even once. It even connects to CarPlay after the car has started, which it would hardly do with the Android auto. Even the sound seems to be better, its very strange and I don't know how its made so much difference. I still have the Android too and whenever I use that, its still the same old issues.

Reverse cam issue I have only seen a couple of times.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 11:02   #133
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sent the Thar across for her first detailing session to Selvin @ XSEL MotorWorX. The deep, lustrous RED is back & she's looking brand new
My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-20231105-18.41.27.jpg

Then to Bombay Brasserie at the beautiful Dhanraj Mahal building. This restaurant is a must-visit for its ambience, food & service:
My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-20231106-22.19.05.jpg
GTO is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 10:45   #134
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With the Festival of Lights rocking Bombay, I just had to put the Thar's top down and go open-top cruising to admire the lights & fireworks in this mega city.

My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-20231110-20.18.53.jpg

My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-whatsapp-image-20231111-10.31.50.jpeg

My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-whatsapp-image-20231111-10.32.58.jpeg

My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-whatsapp-image-20231111-10.31.35.jpeg

My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-img_6395.jpeg

My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-whatsapp-image-20231111-10.32.42.jpeg

My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-whatsapp-image-20231111-10.33.22.jpeg

Post the drive, we took a quick pitstop at the famous Flavours 51 Dish Gola for Kala-Khatta gola
My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-20231110-22.17.30.jpg

My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-20231110-22.17.34.jpg

My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-img_6468.jpeg

Bonus pic, how the gates look:
My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible-20231110-11.14.16.jpg

Bonus pic 2, laptop pooja, instead of the traditional chopda (books) pooja:
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 573
Size:  569.1 KB
GTO is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 09:14   #135
BHPian

The Thar is looking fresh out of the oven after the detailing session

Some nice city pics there GTO.
gauravdgr8 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed