Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2024, 15:37   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I had driven to TASS today morning since my pass light was not working. The high beams were working when the headlamps were ON but pass was not working. This was diagnosed as a loose contact in a fuse.
Well good that the issues were addressed.
But this is a bit interesting and unconvincing. For the pass flash as well as for the standard high-beam - the power current typically routes through the same high beam fuse. So a loose contact wouldn't give different reasons for both the purposes.

I suspect they fixed the membrane switch inside the right control stalk OR changed the RHS combination switch all together FOC (and for some reason without formally registering a warranty replacement). Do you feel its visually / tactility wise the same one that you drove in with?
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 16:28   #32
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

I suspect they fixed the membrane switch inside the right control stalk OR changed the RHS combination switch all together FOC (and for some reason without formally registering a warranty replacement). Do you feel its visually / tactility wise the same one that you drove in with?
I was watching the entire time, I don't think they replaced anything in the stalk, it looks and feels the same. They really have no reason to replace something & not register warranty, do they? I was on the floor when one of they were checking the relay box and fiddling with one of them brought the bulb to life.
ike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:40   #33
ike
BHPian

Posting a pic of the LED headlamp high beams and stock low beams. I haven't had the opportunity to take to a really dark corner yet, will do sometime this week however they are pretty good when driving. These pics were taken in my house and hence some ambient light was there.

Low beam.
Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-low-beam.jpg

Hight beam. Wondering if I should switch to LEDs on low beams too when the HIDs die eventually.

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-high-beam.jpg
Old 25th January 2024, 13:02   #34
ike
BHPian

Bliss is a shiny car freshly clayed and waxed!

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-detailed.jpg

I have noticed paint peeling off from the alloys. Initially I thought it was a kerb rash however I noticed the same on all four wheels. It seems that for the #JET edition, they put a layer of matte black paint over the existing alloys probably without sanding them first and that isn't holding. The surface where the paint has peeled is very smooth to touch. A few pics below

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-wheel4.jpg

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-wheel1.jpg

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-wheel2.jpg

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-wheel3.jpg

Last edited by ike : 25th January 2024 at 13:03.
ike is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 20:43   #35
BHPian

Are those LEDs 110w combined or 110w for each bulb? If that's each bulb then that's an insanely powerful LED, way too much for road use.
Old 20th February 2024, 08:55   #36
BHPian

These bulbs are 55 Watts each.
pratim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 16:57   #37
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Are those LEDs 110w combined or 110w for each bulb? If that's each bulb then that's an insanely powerful LED, way too much for road use.
These are 55W each, and it is still dazzling oncoming traffic.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 16:17   #38
ike
BHPian

Yet another round trip to Chennai for Feb'24 and I have crossed 17k KMS. The car threw yet another CEL on the day before I was to depart to Chennai. However it went away on it's own the following morning. I think this might have been caused by city running clogging the DPF, about 5-600 KMS before this light appeared were in heavy city traffic. Maybe I should get an OBD scanner to understand what this is really about since the IRA app doesn't really specify what is wrong.

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-cel.jpg

The onward stats, was an early morning departure and could make good time.

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-onward-stats.jpg

I also used a DPF cleaner that was suggested by a fellow BHPian on the XUV 700 official review thread. Only time will tell if this really helps keeping DPF problems away.

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-mannol.jpg

The return was in the afternoon and involved some night driving too. Took longer since there was substantial traffic till Ulundurpet and then some more while crossing Salem.

The return stats

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-return-stats.jpg

The high beams are pretty good and light up the road quite well. Ending with a couple of nighttime videos.

Last edited by ike : 26th February 2024 at 16:18.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 07:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I have noticed paint peeling off from the alloys. Initially I thought it was a kerb rash however I noticed the same on all four wheels. It seems that for the #JET edition, they put a layer of matte black paint over the existing alloys probably without sanding them first and that isn't holding. The surface where the paint has peeled is very smooth to touch. A few pics below
Ouch. This makes those beautiful alloys look ugly. Really poor job by Tata. They must do a no-questions-asked replacement of the alloys. Hopefully the later batches have a better paint job. Please do follow it up with Tata and let us know how it goes. As a fellow Tata car owner, I would be very concerned if they think it's a non-issue.
Thinking_Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 20:09   #40
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking_Slow View Post
Ouch. This makes those beautiful alloys look ugly. Really poor job by Tata. They must do a no-questions-asked replacement of the alloys. Hopefully the later batches have a better paint job. Please do follow it up with Tata and let us know how it goes. As a fellow Tata car owner, I would be very concerned if they think it's a non-issue.
The service folks did see it but I'm fairly confident if at all they acknowledge the issue the solution would be a repaint. I was thinking that I can done outside at better rates for comparable quality(?). I do agree that it looks hideous.

Last edited by ike : 14th March 2024 at 20:14.
Old 31st March 2024, 14:47   #41
ike
BHPian

10 months/20,000 KMS

The odo is now at 19.950. It has been a good 10 months with the car.

The likes so far:
  • Exclusivity. I have seen thus far only one jet edition in ten months, and that was a safari. Not seen another Harrier till now.
  • The car drives really well. The low end(which was pathetic in my previous car, the S cross 1.3) is really good. I reach cruising speeds in the blink of an eye. If you are taking off from a red light and in the front, no bikes are able to keep up.
  • Ride. It is comfortable and I don't slow down for bad roads as much as I did with the S cross. Uneven roads are also a non issue.
  • The white leather seats look really good. They have been easier to maintain than I expected. Wife and kids have cooperated a great deal in not soiling them so far.

Dislikes:

There's no way to know what % the DPF is clogged. I believe Kia has it and it would be great to have since the CEL(that has a mind of it's own) I believe is sometimes triggered by the DPF because I have mostly gotten it after 500 - 1000KMS of city driving. So far I have got the CEL on about 3 times and resolved on it's own all 3 times.

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-cel-1.jpg

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-cel.jpg
  • Paint peeling off from the alloy wheels. All four alloys have had paint peeling off from them. I can't really see any reason other than poor QC on the factory floor.
  • No memory function for the driver seat. The driver ergonomics are not that great, we have people complaining about the dashboard fouling with their legs. The seats not remembering my position creates problems for me because I struggle to find my driving position in any car.
  • Apollo tyres. I have been looking after them well but 3 incidents of tyre bursts have been reported in the last 30 days in the Kerala Harrier owners whatsapp group. All of them on stock apollos and the most recent one is a 6 month old car with 7k KMS on the clock, and all 3 cases there was no external impact, the tyres gave up at high speeds. I drive a lot on the highways even during the summer and this is concerning.

Tata Service

This was by far my biggest worry when going in for a Tata and it's been a good experience so far(touches wood frantically). It is reassuring that they are open to feedback too. The issues I have had are a blown headlamp bulb that they have replaced under warranty and a roof liner soiled during service that they corrected after reading about it on the forum. While my experience so far has been positive, I still see a lot of unhappy owners on the Harrier owner's group. Hopefully it gets better.

These are the stats from the recent highway drive:
Onwards. Was an early morning start as usual and was trouble-free in terms of traffic.

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-onward-stats.jpg

Return stats. I overslept and could start only well past daybreak. It was a long weekend too and there was significant traffic for the initial 200 KMS. There are far too many noobs out in the highways especially if it is an extended weekend.

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-return-stats.jpg

Had this Bhpian in an OG S cross 1.6 with me from the outskirts of Salem till Walayar. I was alongside you in one of the traffic jams in the service road but I saw you had a lady passenger and didn't want to spook her by gesturing.

Tata Harrier #Jet Edition Ownership Review-bhpian-s-cross.jpg

Last edited by ike : 31st March 2024 at 14:52.
Old 15th April 2024, 11:03   #42
BHPian

I have a XZA plus Dark 2022 Model. My best fuel efficiency till date was around 21KMPL between Madurai and Kanyakumari during my run from Bangalore to Kanyakumari. I was not in a hurry and wanted to do a mileage run.
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 12:10   #43

Quote:
These are 55W each, and it is still dazzling oncoming traffic.
From where exactly did you purchase those and any suggestions for the perfect fitment and levelling for headlamps in thrissur ?
Old 15th April 2024, 12:46   #44
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouty View Post
From where exactly did you purchase those and any suggestions for the perfect fitment and levelling for headlamps in thrissur ?
I got this at the dealership, hyson motors near puzhakkal. It is an official TATA accessory and I expect them to handle the fitment.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 12:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:

While on the topic of headlights, I upgraded the high beams to LEDs. It seems that this is very bright and will dazzle oncoming traffic. I shall further update this after a few more night drives.

Attachment 2559045

[/list]
Just a headup. Blaupunkt is no longer a German brand. Some guy in Delhi just purchased the brand licence and sells Chinese stuff. Please try reputed brands like Osram to get proper product that doesn't dazzle other road users. The chinese will be unreliable and will be dazzling. And I don't think there is any cost difference between these and OSRAMs. I know Tata has authorised all kinds of Chinese brands for it's official accesories. There are no proper brands in the list. Even ICE is chinese, but no HARMAN!
All the accessories shops will push these Chinese products too as the margins are higher. Insist on Excelite, Osram, Phillips, etc only, you need to be firm.

Last edited by arpan_spark : 16th April 2024 at 12:45.
arpan_spark is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks