Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2023, 14:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography

It was a nice read to get to know the RRs esp. the autobiography edition.

When I grew up and get to know about cars, I have always been a sedan / sports car / hatchback person, but never looked into to or taken any interest in SUVs. But the only exception is the Range Rover.

As a kid, when I was sitting next to my dad in our M800, I remember still vividly a White/black RR stopping next to us. Seeing an RR on Coimbatore roads is very rare in those days. I asked my dad what car was it and he told me that is a Range Rover (Later I knew that it is the 2nd gen P38A). The name (come on it is the most stylish name for an SUV ever!), the looks everything got embedded in my mind so well, if I ever buy an SUV, it will be an RR. The threads like this, just adds some more love for the RRs.

I wish you and your family safe and exuberant kilometers. Onnittelut uudesta autostasi!
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 17:46   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Plugged-in to the Plug-in

Beautiful car. Congratulations and I wish you many happy miles with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
The Plug-in has clearly attracted a lot more buyers. Folk that buy it in the name of businesses etc. seem to have found the most allure as some reports suggest.

As for me, as mentioned in an earlier post, I was looking for the Plug-in version which, for the 2018 RRS, is called P400e.
I haven't driven a RRS. I remember Harry's Garage doing a great video on the RRS 400e and it was interesting to see how a PHEV Hybrid is better in many ways for most use cases, provided the driver makes the best use of the charging system.

kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 01:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Plugged-in to the Plug-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
The name (come on it is the most stylish name for an SUV ever!), the looks everything got embedded in my mind so well, if I ever buy an SUV, it will be an RR. The threads like this, just adds some more love for the RRs.
You're damn right. the name 'Land Rover' doesn't have the kind of Gravitas the name 'Range Rover' has.

The styling has so much of a strong identity that it, much like the 911, can only be Evolutionary and not revolutionary.

Quote:
I wish you and your family safe and exuberant kilometers.
Thanks

Quote:
Onnittelut uudesta autostasi!
Suomalainen!!. Kiva !
Kiitos paljon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

Beautiful car. Congratulations and I wish you many happy miles with it.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

I remember Harry's Garage doing a great video on the RRS 400e and it was interesting to see how a PHEV Hybrid is better in many ways for most use cases, provided the driver makes the best use of the charging system.
Yupp. That's a very informative Video from Harry's Garage and its correct.
The most benefit one can get out of PHEV is only when it is always charged up.

Eg: a Non Hybrid 2L Petrol engine lugging the 2.2 Tonne (Weight of the RRS from which I reduced 300 kg battery weight) could return around 8 kmpl depending the weight of the right foot and it's eagerness which gives a range of 720 kms from the 90 Ltrs Capacity.

I have driven around 1490 kms till now and have 160 kms of range left (petrol + EV) right now which computes to about 18kmpl. This could go up to 19 kmpl by the time I refill.

nearly 1000kms would be only on EV.

This has been possible only coz I keep the car plugged-in all the time.
As of writing, I am paying nearly zero Eur/KW for electricity. I'm on something called a Spot market contract which means cost of electricity keeps changing every hour. I schedule the car to charge at this preferred time slot.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 25th May 2023 at 01:32.
14000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 08:18   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Avinash,

Congratulations on the Rangie. Looks fabulous and really enjoyed reading the comic and unique story telling. Looks like you may have spent a year writing this review. .

Just Kidding !!!

Couple of questions :

1. How reliable are the Rangies? It didn't use to be great in the past.

2. How many miles on this beauty when you picked it up? It does not look like a 4-year old car from any angle. You landed a great buy.

Spotted this on weekend (May 20th, 2023) in Vancouver, Canada and was floored by the color. Never saw this color before. Simply gorgeous

And, I bumped into your thread here today.

This is the Full Rangie. Isn't it?

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-img_2531.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 08:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hey Avinash,

Congratulations on the Rangie. Looks fabulous and really enjoyed reading the comic and unique story telling. Looks like you may have spent a year writing this review. .

Just Kidding !!!
Thanks man. You and I are in the same profession. You know how it is with non-availability of proper brain time.

Quote:

Couple of questions :

1. How reliable are the Rangies? It didn't use to be great in the past.

2. How many miles on this beauty when you picked it up? It does not look like a 4-year old car from any angle. You landed a great buy.
1. Better with the recent Gen's I suppose but there are SW Niggles here and there which I'll cover in subsequent posts. None that have put this on a flat bed though. Spoke to many on RR Forums and most of them, despite the past track record on reliability, are multiple RR owners and they go back to the brand. I think it has earned a lot of Bad Press and that has stayed. Positive experiences hardly show up in Social Media.

Nevertheless, I have purchased an extended warranty from the dealer to cover such mishaps if any.

2. It had 60k kms on it. I've clocked 4k kms on it in 2 months.
It looks like in good shape- Body and Paint no issue but the 21'' Rims, especially the silver ones, are Chafed. Surprisingly, only on the right side. Now that I think about it, these are for the winter tires and it's perhaps due to street side parking in Winter. God knows. They need to be changed and I'm considering either Vossen forged alloys or OEM.

Quote:

Spotted this on weekend (May 20th, 2023) in Vancouver, Canada and was floored by the color. Never saw this color before. Simply gorgeous

This is the Full Rangie. Isn't it?
It is an interesting looking color. I don't recollect seeing it on the Configurator for the 2023 RRS.

It is a pre-facelift Sport (2014-2018) and a SE or HSE going by the black cladding in the bottom which is body color for Autobiography. Not the Big Daddy which is longer and taller.

Quote:

And, I bumped into your thread here today.
You're Late !!

Last edited by 14000rpm : 26th May 2023 at 08:39.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 04:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Living the Plugged-in Life

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-smartselect_20230609_013515_chrome.jpg

Given that this was the first time owning a Plug-in Hybrid, I always thought it would take a few days to learn how to live with it and make the most of its EVness.
But then, I started to notice that the car did not really switch to EV mode to drive in Pure EV. Despite there being a full charge. It would choose to turn on and off at it's whim's and fancies.

Checked around with a few RR Plug-in owners on RR Forums. Many dismissed it as a real issue and said -
Quote:
The software running the EV is pretty smart and it gauges the best scenario when it needs to switch to EV.
Thought I'd need to get used to its 'Smartness' and kept driving while still being annoyed at it's Mood-Swings. While doing so, I started to notice a pattern - it ran as EV when the car was warm and turned off when the climate control switched on the heater. Did some RCA to realize that it ran as EV without issue as long as I did not turn on the Climate Control. All this was during Spring when it is still cold out here in Finland with temperatures between 5-10 Deg C.

Took the car for an inspection at a RR Service center (not where I purchased the car) and turned out that a component called HV Coolant Heater that operates the heater in the Climate control as well as maintains battery temperature had chosen to go half bust. It could do only 1 task and between climate control and battery, it always chose Climate control which is the reason for the lack of EV drive.

While finding the root cause is certainly relieving, knowing the cost of replacement is not. The replacement part was to cost me EUR 3000. a lot of money. One can buy a used car for that money.

While I had the service center check with my extended warranty for coverage, I Went back to RR forum and posted about this. Very quickly an older gentleman from the forum seemed to get a sense of my issue and called me after a quick DM exchange. He is from Netherlands and has faced exactly the same issue and he had Range Rover replace it at their cost. He even gave me his VIN number to use as reference that Range Rover footed the bill.

In the meanwhile, the extended warranty company came back denying covering the cost. Component not included. Next stop. Range Rover Customer care. Several email exchanges later, no-go at Range Rover too.

Finally went back to the dealer where I purchased the car. Had a friendly chat with the sales manager during which I may/ may not have mentioned 'Finnish Consumer Protection rights' under which, if issue is not disclosed at time of purchase, the seller has to pay for the repair partially if not completely. He agreed to take the full cost of replacement of component and put the component on order. Discovered later that this very component has been failing in several Audi's and Porsches too and hence on Back-order.

In the meantime, I had learned to live with the car's current deficiency. Since I had discovered that it worked flawlessly when I keep the climate control turned off, that's exactly what I did and kept driving.

Luckily it showed up a few days ago, after a month of putting in the order, and I had it replaced today.

Spoke to the Dutch gentleman who has been driving Range Rover's over several decades.

Here's all he had to say -

Quote:
''It's a Range Rover, its a great car...when it works''
Now I quote him everywhere I am asked about the car.
14000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 02:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Brit Bloke needed a well deserved TLC.

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230820_18305701.jpeg

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230820_18321301.jpeg

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230820_18315801.jpeg

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230820_18280901.jpeg

And it is perhaps a good time for a quick update of the ownership experience.

Driving: it still feels amazing to drive it around. Extremely comfortable seats and Superb ride make me want to find excuses to take it out for a drive. Often times without a reason.
Used the cooled seats for the first time when it became super hot in Helsinki.. oh what a feeling it was along with the massage seats which is now set to start automatically everytime I drive.
The 'Sit on the car and not in the car' feeling is something that I'm spoilt by.
On kickdown, it puts out the full EV + ICE power of 404 Bhp and it simply Surges like its tail got stung.
I not only turn around and look back at the car, I sit in it without any intention of driving.

When not driving:
The 1400 W Meridien Reference system is simply mind-blowing. My 7 yr old daughter and I love to listen to Hans Zimmer while driving. When we get home and the track is not done, we both don't want to leave till the track is over. Some times, we have sat there listening to more than a few tracks while in the parking slot just outside home. Says a lot about the sound quality.

EV only Range:
While the general driving feels outstanding, the range I get is confusing me. Ever I got the HV heater replaced (under warranty), the range has never been the same. I used to get 48-50 kms in spring when the weather was still a bit cold. It should have only gotten better in summer but it did not.
I get anywhere between 35-45 kms per charge depending on its mood of the day. When I get driving, range drops 2-3 kms at times when I've only driven 1 km. Range Rover forum always has a 'it's a Range Rover, great car when it drives' feedback for most problems.

Empathy: unlimited. Solutions: very limited.

Brit Blokes relationship with Bongo- My 6 yr old Labrador:
Well, they don't like each other. When I asked Bongo to jump inside the older car, the KIA Sorento, he would happily jump in. When I ask him the same in the Brit Bloke, he gives me a 'dude, really? can't I just stay at home?' look.
It's a much smaller place for him now and he hates it. Furthermore, he hates the slight humming sound from the Electric Magic from under the boot floor.
Brit Bloke shows his dislike to Bongo in different ways - The alarm sets off if I leave Bongo alone in the car. Turns out, it has Interior Motion Sensors that, as the name suggests, triggers when motion is detected when the car is locked. Happened a few times by now and every time it triggers, I get a call from the Range Rover call center telling me what I already know. I no longer take him in the car.

Speaking of Alarms:
the Brit Bloke doesn't like being on a ship either. Sensitive fellow. Went on a Cruise to Sweden and put Brit Bloke in the car deck. 10 mins after departure, I get notified on the phone app that my car could've been stolen and I get phone calls from the call center. Went down to the car Deck and looked around to see what should be done. Figured out nothing and I locked it and returned. Triggered again. The security folk were getting irritated by now. As always, I got the call. Told them it was false alarm and asked them to consider as false alarm. I then get the right advice to change settings to Transport mode on the phone app. The catch is that it can only be changed before setting off. As for this time, turned off the 'Auto-lock' feature and left the car unlocked for rest of the cruise.

Every day we learn something new.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 24th August 2023 at 02:54.
14000rpm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 05:18   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Speaking of Alarms:
the Brit Bloke doesn't like being on a ship either. Sensitive fellow. Went on a Cruise to Sweden and put Brit Bloke in the car deck. 10 mins after departure, I get notified on the phone app that my car could've been stolen and I get phone calls from the call center. Went down to the car Deck and looked around to see what should be done. Figured out nothing and I locked it and returned. Triggered again. The security folk were getting irritated by now. As always, I got the call. Told them it was false alarm and asked them to consider as false alarm. I then get the right advice to change settings to Transport mode on the phone app. The catch is that it can only be changed before setting off. As for this time, turned off the 'Auto-lock' feature and left the car unlocked for rest of the cruise.

Every day we learn something new.
This is something new! Is the increased scrutiny and followups from the call center related to the spate of Range Rover robberies in the UK? I read on various groups that insurers hesitate to even insure these cars and when they do, the premium are quite mind boggling.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 08:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This is something new! Is the increased scrutiny and followups from the call center related to the spate of Range Rover robberies in the UK? .
Well, it is true that Range Rovers are stolen more than others in its category and yes, Insurances in UK are particularly hesitant to insure them. My manager confirms this. He has a RR Sport SVR in London.
Of course @blackpearl can confirm from his experience too.

As for calls from the call center- I have subscribed to Secure Tracker by Range Rover. Hence the calls. The moment the subscription ends, I'll be on my own.

There are many other after market systems too that one can install and use instead of using Secure Tracker. I just don't want any after market work on my car. Thats all.
14000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 10:15   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As for calls from the call center- I have subscribed to Secure Tracker by Range Rover. Hence the calls. The moment the subscription ends, I'll be on my own.

There are many other after market systems too that one can install and use instead of using Secure Tracker. I just don't want any after market work on my car. Thats all.
That explains it.
I've seen the Ghost immobiliser is very popular in the UK for the Range Rovers.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 13:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Same same but different

The color Combo of Black on white with Black wheels on Range Rover is quite appealing. But then, its hardly unique and seems to be a common theme Range Rover buyers choose.

Twinning on the street.

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230623_092701.jpg

A full circle.
This 2023 RRS pulled up next to mine earlier today.
This is exactly how I had configured the 2023 RRS on the website which ended in me buying what I have.

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230825_082401.jpg

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230825_082218.jpg

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230825_082157.jpg

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230825_082138.jpg

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230825_082123.jpg

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-20230825_082102.jpg

The 2023 RRS looks really elegant. In comparison to the outgoing model, one can clearly see how the design of the 2023 model is a very refined version of the outgoing model with minimalist lines. Simply beautiful.

I may, at some point replace the Brit Bloke with 2023 model in the same spec.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 25th August 2023 at 13:19.
14000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 11:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Living with the Brit Bloke: Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Any Land Rover has to go off-road. It is in it's Pedigree. Simple as that. However, how the Range Rover goes about it is unbelievable. The secret sauce is it's Off-road system called Terrain Response.
So, I met a few Finnish friends last night one of whom used to be in the Logistics department of the Finnish army. I had been enquiring about buying Army Surplus G Wagen's with him before but none have shown up.
In the course of our evening Banter, he mentioned that such "Army Surplus now sold to public" cars are one of the 1st that the Finnish army targets to repossess should a war situation develop in Finland.

Apparently, Finnish army maintains a full list of "Target" vehicles from the general public that they can confiscate and deploy for war duty.

In fact this is what was published in a local news outlet:

Quote:
If an emergency situation were to hit Finland, the Finnish Defense Forces could redeem citizens' cars for use by the army

Pursuant to the Emergency Act, every Finnish citizen is obliged to hand over his vehicle to the Defense Forces if necessary.

The Defense Forces maintains an updated list of Finnish civilian cars that are particularly well suited for use by the military. According to the Defense Forces, there are tens of thousands of civilian vehicles on the list.

Among the passenger cars, we are looking for vans, SUVs and pick-up trucks for the list. Four-wheel drive is also considered an advantage from the military's point of view.

The age of the cars on the list is limited to vehicles 4–5 years old or newer. The cars that ended up on the list are common car models of common brands, for which there are plenty of spare parts, so that their maintenance and upkeep is affordable and easy. There are no electric cars on the lists.
Link

As for the Brit Bloke- I'm sure they don't want to touch it. Although it fits their "off-road" criteria, it is far too complicated for them and add to the fact that spares are not well stocked like it would be for Mercedes, VWs, Skodas etc.
Brit Bloke is safe as concluded by my ex-Finnish army friend.

Since they don't want Electric Cars, @Starrysky's ID4 is safe as well.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 28th August 2023 at 11:32.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 23:18   #28
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant looking Rover you've got there. The white on black with red calipers like extremely sporty with an overall mix of rugged and classy design. I'm sure it is refined and powerful to drive, perhaps my dream SUV. Also interesting to learn about the Finnish repossession law, I'm wondering how insurance plays into it.

Last edited by graaja : 30th August 2023 at 05:08. Reason: Minor grammar and punctuation
sh3lby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 08:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3lby View Post
Absolutely brilliant looking Rover you've got there. The white on black with red calipers like extremely sporty with an overall mix of rugged and classy design. I'm sure it is refined and powerful to drive, perhaps my dream SUV.
Thanks. It's a classic design. RR has not fooled around with the general design language with the latest Gen RRS(L461). As can be seen, it is a bit more refined version of the L494 which I have.

It sure is a joy to drive and I indulge in late night drives for simply no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3lby View Post
Also interesting to learn about the Finnish repossession law, I'm wondering how insurance plays into it.
To be honest, I have no idea how any of it works. It is a new learning for sure but one that I am not very keen on investigating further. Finland is safe.
Old 11th September 2023, 20:46   #30
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations 14000rpm for the Range Rover Sport and loved the detailed write-up! I had seen the thread a while back but could not respond as we were travelling in Europe with our Black Brit Bloke Good to see the Land Rover tribe growing! Wish you many many happy miles with the RRS.

All the best from the elder brother

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-img_0457.jpg

Meet My Ride | Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography-dsc_5661.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks