Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2023, 23:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review

Update: NCB applied

I enquired ICICI Lombard before sale of my previous vehicle for NCB transfer requirements and here were my options.
[1] Provide transferred RC copy
[2] Provide a copy of form 29 and 30 stamped by RTO as a true certified copy submitted, along with copy of insurance in the name of purchaser
[3] Provide signed and stamped sale letter / delivery receipt from the dealer for NCB reserving letter, if sold through a dealer.

During my last car exchange 5 years ago (and pervious ones before that), I had actually first insured my outgoing car as 3rd party insurance only, cancelled remaining tenure of comprehensive cover, got remaining tenure insurance amount refunded with some deductions and was provided with NCB certificate. But ICICI Lombard is now giving NCB only in above options meaning I cant now have NCB certificate without actually selling the vehicle. When asked to confirm in writing, they did send me an email confirmation. So, I have to kiss-off my remaining duration cover refund and sign insurance transfer papers along with RC transfer set that dealer car exchange lead needed me to sign.

Since, the dealer was same as car was being given in exchange I went with option 3, and I was vigilant towards a copy of these documents with proper stamp and signatures. I promptly placed a request with insurer for NCB reserving letter and was given 15 working days promise for it. After a little follow up post deadline, I was provided with NCB reserving letter.

Asked Hyundai dealer sales lead to facilitate handover of NCB reserving letter to insurance team. After a couple of days I got endorsement letter for NCB value as 50% and after around 15 days of request, I got refund of own damage prorated for remaining duration.

After some follow-up and time investment, I was able to apply NCB and save some money, which in effect, can have some recurrent saving effect till actually my new policy would have attained 50% NCB status.

God, I miss those days when NCB used to go upto 65% !!!

Last edited by Haldian : 9th January 2023 at 23:34.
Old 13th February 2023, 00:45   #17
BHPian

First long drive

Here’s a small travelogue on first long drive: BLR – Kodaikanal – BLR (4 days / 1100 Kms.)

Planning: Fuel Tank filled up and Nitrogen check for all five tyres. Some readout of TBHP route query thread on Kodaikanal and Munnar.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ueries-23.html (Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries)

Drive: We planned (and started) early at 3:00 AM to beat the outgoing rush on long weekend. Since it was my first drive on highway during wee hours, I cautiously drove while acknowledging less than stellar headlights. Still, with no traffic, reached Salem in less than 3 hours. Stopped for a relief break at Grand Estancia and continued onwards to take snacks + coffee break at a small coffee shop outside Kumbakonam Degree college few kms before Dindigul in another 2 hours. We were carrying home made thepla and sandwiches that we washed down with excellent coffee. Spoiler alert: the washroom was home to a couple of lizards and spider webs, hence ignored.
The roads were good to great throughout and Ghat section after Batlagundu was no different. It took us two and half hours to reach our stay at Villa retreat with a short relief break. We checked in by 11.00 AM congratulating ourselves for eluding traffic when we saw lots of cars arriving a couple of hours further in the day. After some rest, we took a walk at Coaker’s walk and further on to lake side for tasty Maggi and hot chocolate.

Stay: At Villa Retreat was above average. The view from our balcony was overlooking one shadow side of Kodaikanal with splendid view to valley with a pointy mountain. Every couple of hours this valley will change its hue and color. From lush fauna laden deep green to completely covered in a blanket of clouds – with just the pointy mountain top visible above the cloud blanket.

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-0-blr-kod.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-1-villa-retreat.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-2-villa-retreat-reading-room.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-3-balconyview.jpg

Parking at Villa Retreat seemed sufficient. Rooms were a tad small but that might have been due to the extra bed. Full points to extra bed with equal comfort to the bed mattress. Breakfast was not exactly buffet, but one can order from limited day menu. This saves wastage for sure. Food quality and taste was just ok. The dining area was overlooking the valley and had stunning view.

Great Weather: Mild cool breezy with ample cloud cover and movement. In fact, looking down at valley from Coaker’s walk, they seemed to race and engulf us all around. We stationed at Villa Retreat and Coaker’s walk was a daily bliss up to the Telescope viewpoint just for this walking in cloud experience. Quite misty at times as well. Fortunately, we did not experience any heavy rain, albeit light misty shower spurts of 5 – 10 mins at a time, we did encounter. This made the view(s) even more mesmerizing – especially at Coaker’s walk, Moir’s point and three pillar rocks.

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-4-coakerswalkvalleyview.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-moir-point.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-moir-point-2.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-three-pillar-rocks.jpg

Visited Kodai lake and rode a twin bicycle, drove to a-lot-of small nearby falls and shop clusters. Unfortunately, water flow was not great.

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-high-viewpoint.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-kodai-lake.jpg

Next day drove to Sheep and Rabbit research center at Mannavanur. Road was in bad shape with lots of narrow stretches. Alcazar’s 360 degree camera was a real boon in close passes to other side vehicles, especially when our left is to the valley side. Mannavanur lake was dry so few clicks with rabbits had to suffice. Stopped for day bite at Woody’s café at Palani viewpoint enroute back from Mannavanur. Nice break for coffee and options for variety of food items. Reached Moir point post lunch hours and were welcomed by complete cloudy misty weather. Same at 3 pillar rocks. Ended with nice dinner at ‘Truly Herbivore’ with great food at walking distance from place of our stay.

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-5-mannavanur-route.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-village-overview.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-woodys.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-sky-mood.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-bryant-garden.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-truly-herbivore.jpg

Return journey: In pursuit of entering Bangalore early, we started early at 4.00 AM, courtesy pre-journey checkout and sandwich packed by Villa Retreat. I got amazing mileage till end of Ghat Section. After breakfast break at A2B Athanur, we reached home around mid-day. Was satisfied with overall performance of Alcazar, its handling and overall mileage of 15+ Kmpl.

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-downhill-milage.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-99-kod-blr.jpg

Last edited by Haldian : 13th February 2023 at 00:52.
Haldian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 19:40   #18
BHPian

Received Navi map update.

Previous Map version: IN.15.41.44.581.101.1

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-e03dc1e022714ae9a795d09ed94ca83b.jpeg

New Map version: IN.15.47.50.471.101.1

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-8e3a7c3f9a9c4ee081706ef114a549a2.jpeg
Haldian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 21:52   #19
BHPian

Travelled Bangalore to Munnar via Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodimettu last week. We started from Bangalore at 3.15 AM and reached Munnar around 1:00 PM - this was after total break timings of 1 Hour 15 mins. Total drive time of 8.5 Hours.

Return journey, started around 8.40 AM and reached Bangalore 6.40 PM, with breaks of approximately 1 Hour. We had to take a detour at Theni, as road was blocked due to some protest. This added 15 mins to our journey time.

Some details shared at the following post on other thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...diary-2-a.html (Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldian View Post
Sharing a small travelogue on our drive : BLR – Munnar – BLR (4 days / 1250 Kms.)

During our Kodaikanal Trip in Jan, we were within touching distance of Munnar. Kodaikanal trip details are available here (Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review).

Munnar, like Kodaikanal, was long awaiting its turn on my drive bucket list – now quite possible due to a good long distance mile muncher, which it does in great comfort. While Kodai trip was spent shaking hands with driving dynamics of Alcazar, I was eager to do one more trip to assess my understanding of it and to put it to use.

Cont...
Old 11th April 2023, 00:06   #20

Hi Haldian, thanks for such an in-depth and interesting thread.
I just brought home a 1.5 turbo petrol DCT Signature. Putting in the graphene, Sun film etc right now.
I had a question- the car came from the showroom with overfilled tires. When you got the air replaced with nitrogen, what PSI did you fill to? Over time what PSI has been giving you the best result with handling and /or fuel economy? If you don’t mind sharing.
Thanks again!
harpoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 09:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Hi Haldian, thanks for such an in-depth and interesting thread.
I just brought home a 1.5 turbo petrol DCT Signature. Putting in the graphene, Sun film etc right now.
I had a question- the car came from the showroom with overfilled tires. When you got the air replaced with nitrogen, what PSI did you fill to? Over time what PSI has been giving you the best result with handling and /or fuel economy? If you don’t mind sharing.
Thanks again!
Hello harpoon, congratulations on your new ride. Please do share your experiences with 1.5 turbo DCT.

Tyre pressure:
Nov - Feb I was running at 36 psi when cold. These readings are from odo console via TMPS. As there is a delta between what petrol pump meter shows when filled and actual on console, it takes me upto 3 tries to get all tyres reflecting same expected pressure on console.
Mar - (possibly September) I intend to try out 34 PSI. This is to allow air expansion during summer months.
Also, I have checked TMPS readings during long continuous drives and tyre pressure had never crossed 40. So I am good with that.
Comfort and road grip is great so far with above settings.

Last edited by Haldian : 11th April 2023 at 09:42.
Old 9th July 2023, 19:29   #22
BHPian

It was during BLR - Yercaud 3 day trip ended today, I came to know that Alcazar’s drive info maxes out at 99.9 kmpl that we briefly encountered since we were driving downhill.

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-img_1310.jpeg

Here are some snaps from Yercaud (and GRT) for monsoon painted Yercaud hills. Also did the 32 km Yercaud loop and can say it was ecstatic to drive amongst the rain laden trees and that smell of freshness filling our lungs.

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-img_1215.jpeg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-img_1214.jpeg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-img_1219.jpeg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-img_1261.jpeg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-img_1262.jpeg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-img_0150.jpeg

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-img_0147.jpeg
Old 31st July 2023, 00:08   #23
BHPian

Hello Haldian!
Hope you are doing well. So refreshing to read the in depth review.
Can you tell what mileage are you getting?
Also do you feel the engine to be underpowered anytime if fully loaded?
ssoni.1411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 00:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoni.1411 View Post
Hello Haldian!
Hope you are doing well. So refreshing to read the in depth review.
Can you tell what mileage are you getting?
Also do you feel the engine to be underpowered anytime if fully loaded?

Hello Ssoni 1411, thanks.

Milage: here are stats for my Alcazar around the 7000 km mark. Alcazar is not light and it shows in the fuel consumption department. For every 10 - 15 kmph speed increase over 90, expect a drop of 1 kmpl as entertainment tax.

Extracting 20 kmpl on a highway is quite possible but boring. One more observation is that MID fuel consumption figures are off by 2-3 Kmpl (which is same as any of my last 4 cars), so either the petrol pumps dispense less fuel OR MIDs for Maruti, Honda and Hyundai all show skewed figures. So, I don't worry about it too much and enjoy the drive.

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-screenshot_20230801001355.png

Power : I have been to mountains with 4 people onboard and uncompromising luggage. This includes steep climbs like Masinagudi - Ooty and Salem - Yercaud ones. The power is linear and adequate. The 1.5 ltr oil burner pulls up quite nicely and there is no drama while doing it. The trick is to avoid super low RPM and keep proper gear engaged, without which - even the torquer motors will feel the same.
Haldian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 16:03   #25
BHPian

11 Months ownership updates:

Time flies and miles keep going on!! Since BLR - Yercaud in July posted above, We've made a couple of small weekend-plus trips. One to Ooty and other on the BLR - Humcha - Chikmagalur circuit. Both trips were with driver plus 3 passengers and adequate luggage.

BLR - Ooty - BLR
Took familiar Masinagudi route up hill and longer Gadlur route down hill. Our stay was at Elk hill and had tight one lane steep climb. We were stuck due to oncoming local altos / autos claiming right of way more than once - and have to navigate to the absolute edge, which was a breeze due to 360 degree camera. Its that useful on stretches driven by morons who do not have the courtesy to stop at wider stretch, once they spot incoming vehicle. The weather and views though made up much more for this slight inconvenience. Few snaps below.

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-1-small.jpg
Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-2-small.jpg
Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-3-small.jpg
Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-4-small.jpg
Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-5-small.jpg
Check the altitude!!
Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-6-small.jpg

Also, got an update on Nav. Did not catch a snap of the updated version yet.

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-50.jpg

BLR - Humcha - Chikmagalur - BLR

BLR - Humcha : Took Chitradurga - Shimoga route for onwards journey to Humcha. Took early 66 Km breakfast break at Shree Rathnam on Pune highway (6738+8F Kengalkempohalli, Karnataka) as there was no known place to stop around sweet spot of 3 Hrs. to 3.5 Hrs. mark. I was on watch out for such stop for next trip and tagged Hotel Sai Palace (RPPX+HV Javagondnahalli, Karnataka) - which is around 160 Kms. (3.5 - 4 Hrs.) from my starting point. Road was better than last year with patchwork completed around Tumkur and also after Chitradurga (to Shimoga). Lunched at Hotel Shubham (WHMC+Q6 Shivamogga, Karnataka) and reached Humcha in 6 Hrs drive time.

Humcha - Chikmagalur: With advice from Ampere took Thirthahalli-Koppa-Balehonnur-Aldur route. Thoroughly enjoyed the route between Koppa and Aldur. See update on the route query thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5647372 (Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries)

Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-52-small.jpg
Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review-53-small.jpg

Chikmagalur - BLR: Stayed at the resort and back to BLR via Mangalore highway. Since we were travelling with one other car, an Innova Taxi, the driver showed me an alternate route from google maps that was taking me into Belur. The route we took bypassed Belur and further Hassan and we joined the Mangalore highway much after the Hassan speed breakers if I recall correct.
Haldian is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks