Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2022, 16:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Pre-owned BMW 530d (G30) | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyMillennial View Post
[b] One useful feature that the iDrive 7 cars get which mine misses out on is that the ambient lights on the particular door that is opened flash red to alert traffic behind.
Congratulations on your car. Glad you are enjoying the beast to the fullest.
Just a small correction - there is no such feature about the lights flashing red (at least not in my 630D which comes equipped with id7 or maybe I am just oblivious to it)

Though there is a new update available - will have to send the car over to the dealership for the update and it might just show up. Just in case it's an older thing - please let me know how to activate it.
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 17:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
The drive:

Powering the car is a 3-litre inline 6-cylinder turbo diesel engine that churns out 265HP at 4000rpm and 620Nm of torque between 2000-2500rpm.
=====

That's all for now.
Cheers!
Happy to hear you are enjoying your bimmer to the fullest.
Its truly heartbreaking to see the left fender damage done to your ride by the WagonR, and seeing the damage there is no way he must have not noticed it

The bimmer pics are super cute and admirable. Would you mind telling me which camera you used?

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st November 2022 at 18:02. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies.
the_bat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 17:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for bringing home a 530D. Looks gorgeous in blue and has awesome kit. Wishing you million miles of happy motoring.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:27   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on your 5-series, that blue is really majestic!
Wishing you a great ownership ahead. Also could you mention how much you ended up paying for it?
jono213 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 09:35   #20
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of cars have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Name:  g30.png
Views: 1635
Size:  534.1 KB
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 15:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Excellent review and enjoy your new procession! Would you mind sharing the cost of the periodic service and denting job?
Thank you msdivy. Since the car was serviced just before I bought it, I did not have to pay for the service, however I presume it will be somewhere around 35-40k when the time comes. The denting and painting job at Mechanix Automotive cost me around 8k, not including the extra detailing and 3 stage polishing that I got done on the whole car along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Congratulations! Thank you for picking up this Mediterranean Blue 530D shared with my MY20 330i Sport. It's a rare colour indeed.

Report your own post (triangle at bottom left) to the Mods, and share the exact language + where you want it inserted.
Thank you itwasntme for letting me know about reporting the post to mods for editing it. I must say your car looks absolutely stunning in this shade. I had not realised that this colour was rare but now that you have pointed it out, I indeed have not seen this colour that often on bimmers here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big congrats on getting this beast of a sedan home . Best part about the 530d is that it combines passion with practicality (think 15 kmpl on the highway). Enjoy the 6-cylinder creaminess and that deadly gearbox, these big engines are a dying breed. My thread went on to become a ready reckoner for F10 owners and I hope your thread does so for the G30. Thanks for sharing this review with us and wishing you many joyous road-trips with your 530d.
Thank you GTO, this means a lot to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
The car parking sensor that jams the brakes automatically is the most annoying thing on this car. Ive noticed sometimes it will just react when the steering is turned full right or left, even though there's nothing near the car. Im sure you must have experienced this too, especially while parking.

I was wondering if its possible to retrofit a motor for the rear boot to close automatically like it does on the 7 series. The fact that BMW actually gave a button on the boot for this feature is such a major goof up by them.

Anyway, welcome to the club my friend and wish you many many years of enjoyable motoring!
Thank you, manishk123. I used wonder why on some rare occasions she just slams the brakes when there is absolutely nothing in the car's close proximity, however, I now realised after you pointed out that I was in fact at full steering lock in those situations! Though it doesn't happen every time that I am in steering full lock so there must be something else that also contributes to this.

As for retrofitting a motor for the boot, even I had though about this and there are people doing this retrofit abroad. However, to me it seems too involving since you need to remove quite a few plastic trim pieces and route new wiring harnesses in addition to also replacing the locking mechanism of the boot etc. After watching the following video about the retrofit process, I'd rather just close it with my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Congratulations on your car. Glad you are enjoying the beast to the fullest.
Just a small correction - there is no such feature about the lights flashing red (at least not in my 630D which comes equipped with id7 or maybe I am just oblivious to it)

Though there is a new update available - will have to send the car over to the dealership for the update and it might just show up. Just in case it's an older thing - please let me know how to activate it.
iDrive 7 cars usually have an option for "Dynamic Light" under interior lighting which you have to enable for this to work. Then, if the engine is running and you open any door, the ambient lights of that door will flash red. If it still doesn't show up after the software update, then maybe only a few iDrive 7 cars get this feature. Quite a few youtube videos on various BMWs show this feature, however, the only iDrive 7 car I have interacted with in person is the M5C, which had this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bat View Post
The bimmer pics are super cute and admirable. Would you mind telling me which camera you used?
Thank you the_bat. While majority of the shots are from a Sony A7C with Samyang 35mm f1.8 prime, few are from a combination of Nikon D7500 (kit lens) and an iPhone 13 Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono213 View Post
Congratulations on your 5-series, that blue is really majestic!
Wishing you a great ownership ahead. Also could you mention how much you ended up paying for it?
Thank you jono213! I apologise, I am not comfortable mentioning the exact price here on the thread but I can say that I paid a little less than the on-road (Pune) price of a brand new base model BMW X1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of cars have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Attachment 2382562
I am honoured, sir.
NerdyMillennial is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 16:38   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on getting this beast home, enjoy the six cylinder drive that hardly struggles.
And what a detailed review

One question on below point : Did you try apple maps? what I noticed is HUD integration happens with apple maps on CarPlay and with google maps on Android Auto. The combination (google maps on CarPlay) is a no for HUD, weird.

Quote:

Navigation prompts from Apple Car play do not show up on the HUD irrespective of the navigation app being used. It however does show prompts when in built navigation is being used like so...
RakishRam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 12:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
One question on below point : Did you try apple maps? what I noticed is HUD integration happens with apple maps on CarPlay and with google maps on Android Auto. The combination (google maps on CarPlay) is a no for HUD, weird.
Thank you RakishRam! Yes I did try with Apple maps as well however, my car has iDrive 6 which does not support Car Play map integration with the HUD or instrument cluster, only the in-built navigation shows up on the HUD. Apple Maps on Car Play and Google Maps on Android Auto only show up on the head-up display (or instrument cluster) on cars with iDrive 7 and above.
NerdyMillennial is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 13:35   #24
BHPian

I implore you to try Road Force Balancing for your wheels & tyres.

It worked wonders for my bent wheels.

The tyres are remounted in a way that the high spots on the wheel are compensated for, by placing the soft spots of the tyre correspondingly.

No BMW should wobble at 85
This should improve the NVH at higher speeds too.

I paid 1600 for road force balancing, and alignment at Ashoka Wheels HYD
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 19:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
I implore you to try Road Force Balancing for your wheels & tyres.

It worked wonders for my bent wheels.

The tyres are remounted in a way that the high spots on the wheel are compensated for, by placing the soft spots of the tyre correspondingly.

No BMW should wobble at 85
This should improve the NVH at higher speeds too.

I paid 1600 for road force balancing, and alignment at Ashoka Wheels HYD
Got my alloys repaired just today from Ajmera Tyres in Kharadi. While all 4 rims had a minor bend or two, they said it was the rear right one that was significant enough to cause the wobble. I anyways went ahead and had them all straightened. It took them a little over an hour to do that for all 4 rims and it cost me 5.3k per rim.

A note on wheel alignment, make it a point to check the exact model they choose on the computer during alignment. The chap had started doing the alignment with the E60 530d selected. I had to explain to them that this one is the G30 model. Then they went back into the menu and found the G30 RWD Sedan for alignment.
NerdyMillennial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 22:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Got my alloys repaired just today from Ajmera Tyres in Kharadi. While all 4 rims had a minor bend or two, they said it was the rear right one that was significant enough to cause the wobble. I anyways went ahead and had them all straightened. It took them a little over an hour to do that for all 4 rims and it cost me 5.3k per rim.

A note on wheel alignment, make it a point to check the exact model they choose on the computer during alignment. The chap had started doing the alignment with the E60 530d selected. I had to explain to them that this one is the G30 model. Then they went back into the menu and found the G30 RWD Sedan for alignment.
Haha!

You won't believe,
The idiots at ashoka entered the wrong model year, and thereby the older generation of car while I was getting the alignment done.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 10:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Interior:
Driver's view. however two blank buttons on the steering right under the driver's nose is a sore sight on such an expensive car that costs upwards of 80L on-road.
This is now changed in the latest model.
Attached Thumbnails
My Pre-owned BMW 530d (G30) | Ownership Review-photo_20221215_101750.jpg  

Bailey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 09:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:

- Expensive spare parts and repairs
- The car is not under warranty or BSI. We have knowingly entered this potentially dangerous territory.
Hey! I hope you're doing well and hope you're having a great time with your beautiful 530d. This has been one of the most well written reviews of the car I've come across.

I've personally owned a used F10 530d and got it serviced at a 3rd party workshop and it remained fairly niggle free and easy to maintain even after 1.2L Km apart from the timing chain replacement and a starter motor failure.

I was considering to pick up a G30 530d now that used prices have become fairly reasonable. Can you enlighten me regarding the reliability of the G30 530d as well as the maintenance costs at the official BMW dealer for periodic maintenance such as oil changes + filter replacements as well as the wear and tear parts such as brake pads or rotors? Cheers!
Kevinrevvz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 13:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrevvz View Post
Hey! I hope you're doing well and hope you're having a great time with your beautiful 530d. This has been one of the most well written reviews of the car I've come across.

I've personally owned a used F10 530d and got it serviced at a 3rd party workshop and it remained fairly niggle free and easy to maintain even after 1.2L Km apart from the timing chain replacement and a starter motor failure.

I was considering to pick up a G30 530d now that used prices have become fairly reasonable. Can you enlighten me regarding the reliability of the G30 530d as well as the maintenance costs at the official BMW dealer for periodic maintenance such as oil changes + filter replacements as well as the wear and tear parts such as brake pads or rotors? Cheers!
Hi! I have driven the car for about 15,000km since we got it and it has been very reliable and niggle free, save for external factors like getting gashed when parked which needed a visit to the paint shop and a very recent tyre puncture caused by a long nail.

I did get an official EGR cooler recall letter from BMW a few months back. At Bavaria, Pune, they informed me that another recall had been issued on my car for the LTE compensator. Parts for both of these were replaced, and an update to the iDrive 6 and inbuilt maps was done at no cost to me. As a result of this, I was able to activate full screen RHD Apple CarPlay using BimmerCode later from my end.

As for regular servicing, since my car is out of warranty and the only official BMW service center in Pune being infamous for their quality and shoddy nature, I have been getting my car serviced and tended to with a very competent FNG here so while I cannot really comment on the costs at the official service centres, we did have to replace the rear brake pads during my last service and since the workshop could not source Textar (BMW OEM) ones and other options being Mayle, Febi Bilstein and BMW Genuine. We decided to go ahead with the BMW Genuine ones and those alone set me back 23k for both the rears. Total cost of my last service same to 57k.

This premature wear of rear brake pads I was told was a result of the poor grip levels of the Dunlop tyres that the previous owner had installed which caused traction control to kick in even at low-to-moderate acceleration while on the move. A lot of driving happening on concrete roads didn't help with the matter either. The car is now wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 5 rubber for the past few months and that has transformed the way she drives and handles, especially on the ghats. Overall comfort levels too have also gone up a notch with respect to both ride quality and tyre noise.

Last edited by NerdyMillennial : 2nd February 2024 at 13:15. Reason: Typo
NerdyMillennial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 14:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
This premature wear of rear brake pads I was told was a result of the poor grip levels of the Dunlop tyres that the previous owner had installed which caused traction control to kick in even at low-to-moderate acceleration while on the move. A lot of driving happening on concrete roads didn't help with the matter either. The car is now wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 5 rubber for the past few months and that has transformed the way she drives and handles, especially on the ghats. Overall comfort levels too have also gone up a notch with respect to both ride quality and tyre noise.
Thanks for the prompt response. I'm glad to hear you're having a great time with your car. Regarding the tyres, I had several instances of cracked rims and premature RFT tyre wear on my F10 as well. However, the G30's staggered setup is quite unique and with the recent import bans, what about the availability of these?

Dunlop seems to be the most popular amongst G30 530ds but if the grip levels aren't satisfactory, may I know how easy to find and how expensive a set of PS5s are?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks