Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2022, 22:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S

Prelude- This was back in March 2020, when I was a bachelor, and ours was a family of 3. Our nearly 7 year old Honda Amaze S IDTEC was happily chugging along at 1L Kms mark. Except the higher maintenance cost (suspension was replaced about 4 times in last 2 years of ownership), and the bad NVH, we were completely happy with this car.

However, on one highway journey the gradual goodbye for the Amaze started. The car scraped on one of those unruly speed-breakers and to our surprise after covering about 200 kms, we realized the car had broken the oil sump! We decided to get this checked at the nearest Honda dealership and the cost quoted was over 30K. Yes, this was the moment the new car bug bit both myself and my dad!

Our requirements-

1) Should have high ground clearance. Apart from the general low ground clearance related scares, the ease of ingress and egress was highly important for my dad, who had his back operated a while back.
2) Should be fuss free to run, own and maintain. I know some might scoff at this idea, and think that 5 days of hassle is OK, if the car provides 360 days of enjoyment. I fear for myself and my family incase those 5 days is something very important for us and the car fails to deliver on those days.
3) Budget <15L OTR.
4) Should be Diesel or extremely fuel-efficient petrol. Manual/Automatic either was fine (except the AMTs).
5) Should have atleast the level of performance offered by Amaze (100 PS), (200 NM), or better.
6) Should have a good AC.
7) Prime requirements- Great headlamps-HID/LED preferrable, Cruise control, front and rear armrest, practical storage options, boot>350L, great highspeed driving dynamics, good low speed ride quality, and a great steering feel.

Contenders-

Maruti S cross 1.3 MJD,1.5 NA- Extremely spacious, with a good boot. Maruti’s excellent ASS meant happy ownership. Mature suspension setup was another plus. We also liked the build quality. However, the spartan interiors, a dead steering (which even refuses to self centre), performance which was inferior to even Amaze made us drop the S Cross.

Tata Nexon 1.5D- This was the pre-facelift car. I liked the low speed ride quality, good steering feel (though not as accurate as the Amaze), spacious interiors and great AC. Performance was satisfactory in the manual. However, the looks of the car, the feature deletions (no illuminated interior power window buttons etc.) the general treatment of the Tata ASS, and some past experiences in Tata vehicles made us turn Nexon away.

Ford Ecosport S- This was the last car we checked. I was completely hooked to the styling of the car in it’s Race Red color. It had everything we desired and only two main weaknesses. The relatively lesser space and the low-speed ride quality. The former was not a matter of concern for us, with me and dad being 5’8 and 5’10 respectively and my mom being a 5’0 person. My fiancé too was 5’1 and the interior space was more than sufficient for all of us. We decided to live with the bad low speed ride quality as the complete package was too hard to fault with.

Do you think we finalized this Ecosport? Picture abhi baaki hai!

Few pics of the erstwhile Amaze.

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-whatsapp-image-20220915-10.15.21-pm.jpeg

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-whatsapp-image-20220915-10.14.46-pm.jpeg

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-img_20191028_085448.jpg[b]

This was clicked a few months on a Pune City drive few months before selling of the Amaze. Amaze redefined the stakes of Frugality!

Around this time, I had casually been browsing the used car websites. Well to begin with I was damn sure, any mention of buying a used car would be met with a vehement NO from my parents. Yet, just some casual surfing led me to a listing showing an absolute black Ecosport S TDCI @ 10 L. This was a 23-month-old vehicle, with 12500 kms on the odo, and completely scratch less model car.
I convinced my parents into at least checking out the vehicle, before buying a brand new Ecosport S. Me and dad went to the dealership and were extremely satisfied with the vehicle. We negotiated hard with the dealership and managed to close the deal with 9.9L, with a 25K bumper to bumper insurance sealed in by dealership for next 12 months (effectively translating to 9.65L purchase price). Added cherry on the top, the car was still under warranty for 13 more months. We checked the details with the nearest Ford dealership where the car was serviced, and they assured us the vehicle being in absolute prime condition. We also sold the Amaze to the used car dealership after getting a good deal.
We went from a family strictly against used vehicles, to buying the vehicle then and there on the same date! We were so happy with the car ��

Likes-
  • Punchy motor-100 PS, 215 NM might not sound so strong, but the car delivers strong performance on the highways. Don’t know what sort of sorcery Ford has done, wherein this car being pretty heavy (1305 KG the S variant), still punches above its weight on the highways.
  • Excellent NVH- Coming from the IDTEC Amaze, the NVH was a revelation. Be it whatever RPM the engine noise is very smooth and kind of sporty, to the tractor like grunt of the IDTEC. Wind and tyre noise are also well contained even at speeds of 120 Kph.
  • Excellent high speed ride quality and handling- Everyone knows this already. I believe in terms of point and shoot ability of the steering, nothing comes close on this side of 20 L. The ride on smooth tarmac remains extremely stable and even minor bumps at speed are easily dealt with.
  • Looks- The car is currently in it’s 5th year of ownership and yet always manages to turn heads. The 17 inch alloy design IMO is the centerpiece of this strong public attraction.

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-alloy.jpg

Arguably the best alloy design on this side of Rs.20 L cars
  • AC- Fantastic cooling performance. This was a prime requirement as we venture out on long trips even in peak summers, with temperatures crossing 40 degrees frequently. Though this car lacks the rear AC vents, the rear passengers have never complained of inadequate cooling. That said, my Sonet with a rear AC vent manages to cool the rear a little faster than the Ecosport.
  • Frugal motor- I manage a good 20 KMPL, with steady speeds of 90 kph on the highways. @80, it even manages a 22 kmpl figure. Even in city conditions I manage to extract >16 kmpl frequently.

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-frugal.jpg

On one such cruise drives.
  • Strong build quality- Doors and all panels feel sturdy and close with a reassuring thud. Panel gaps are moderate and consistent. Touchwood, there are no interior rattles yet.
  • Feature loaded- Climate control, Cruise control with limiter, a loaded MID, fantastic Sync 3.0 system, HID low beam, TPMS, ESC, VSM, Hill Hold assist, 6 airbags, parking camera with adaptive guidelines, auto headlamps and wipers (auto wipers being my favorite, with their seamless operation), auto dimming IRVM, multi colored footwell lamps, sunroof and the list goes on and on. There is a misconception that Ecosport was not as well equipped as the rivals. IMO, at its then price of 14L OTR, it was the most loaded vehicle. I am happy that Ford didn’t engage in cost cutting and provided a full-size alloy spare wheel, request sensors on both front doors, all illuminated interior buttons, illuminated glove box and map lights and separate rear cabin light too!

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-small-things.jpg

Spectacular attention to detail. Disable the rear power windows, and the illumination in these switches goes off!
  • Practical cabin- With rear armrest down, ES has capacity to gobble up 11-12 bottles (worth approx. 9-9.5 litres) of water in the bottle holders and cup holders. If one includes the seatback storage, it can still gobble up 4 more bottles. We have seldom purchased water bottles on while doing a road-trip in this car.
  • Large fuel tank- 52 litres of tank gives a phenomenal range of 1000+ kms when cruising on highways at 90 KPH. This is a huge improvement on the Amaze with it’s meagre 35 litres of fuel tank and about 800 kms of range.
  • Excellent ASS- There’s no complaint even after Ford has left India. The annual service cost ranges between 5-7 K and I couldn’t be happier. My car has had absolutely 0 niggles in nearly 2.5 years of my ownership.
  • Boot space and storage practicality- Even though the boot space is slightly lower (352 litres) than the Amaze’s 400 litres, it is sufficient for our needs. It even has nifty compartments and boot floor adjuster wherein you can hide precious items by adjusting the boot floor levels. The seats also fold with a 60:40 split providing a completely flat floor. You can also remove the rear seats, giving it kind of magic seats vibe of the Honda Jazz!

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-boot-capacity.jpg

The 352 litre boot gobbling up luggage for 5 for a 4 day outing!

Dislikes-
  • Heavy clutch- The clutch is extremely heavy in city driving conditions. It’s OK on the highways, however in city conditions it can give a good exercise to your left leg.
  • Gearshift- The gearshift is precise and sure slotting. However, compared to my Sonet IMT, it’s considerably heavy and requires an effort.
  • Low speed ride quality- Ride quality is bone jarring at slow speeds and on potholed roads. My biggest grouse with the car and I believe nothing can be done to solve this permanently. I am thinking of upsizing the tyres to 215/55/17 or 215/60/17 (current is 205/50/17), not sure how much it would impact the mileage and performance. Any leads on this would be appreciated.
  • Best as 4 seater- Though the exterior dimensions might suggest otherwise, the cabin suitable only for 4 adults, with 5 being a squeeze. Fortunately for me, with two of the large frames (myself and dad) in my family occupying the front seats, and my mom and wife having smaller frames, the occasional 5th passenger is also welcome.
  • No HUD/Navigation display in MID- The instrument cluster is very well loaded, yet misses out on such a simple yet very important safety feature. Thankfully I was able to program the MID through FORSCAN and now have the navigation enabled in my MID.
  • Average high beam- The HID low beam and the fog lamps provide sufficient illumination, however, I felt the high beam throw and intensity is average at best. Resolved this through aftermarket LED high beam installation, and very happy with the results.

Modifications done-
  • Upgraded the Sync 3.0 to Sync 3.4. The touch response and graphics feel snappier now on an already snappy Sync 3 system.

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-raptor-screen-saver.jpg

Cool animation once the screen boots up.
  • Activated the cornering fog lamps, burglar alarm and Navigation direction display in MID through FORSCAN. Both costed me a meagre 2K INR.

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-nav-mid.jpg

Navigation display along with distance read out.
  • Upgraded the high beam headlights to GEESONIC 55 W LED bulbs, with a color temperature of 6000K. Was a simple plug and play and the results are simply splendid. Did not touch the low beam HID or the fog lamps, as I am pretty satisfied with their performance. This costed me 4K INR. I have been careful since the Amaze days to not use the high beams in city conditions, so these LEDs do not blind the oncoming traffic.

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-only-hid.jpg

Throw from only HID.

My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-hid-high.jpg

HID and High beam
  • Installed illuminated sill plates from FORD, which do uplift the ambience a bit. This costed me 5K INR.

Few more pics-
My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-hide-seek.jpg
My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-img_20210322_143310.jpg
My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-img20211201140118.jpg
My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-img20220823105059.jpg
My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-screenshot_2021021506015819.jpg
My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S-screenshot_2021061709152551.jpg

My current ODO stands at 29K, and I wish the car retains all the positives for next 70 K Kms atleast. I will try to keep this thread updated in future and hope my ES serves me well for atleast next 5-6 years.

Last edited by 07CR : 16th September 2022 at 12:38.
07CR is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 07:39   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage tomorrow
Old 18th September 2022, 09:42   #3
BHPian

What a looker this car this! The black exterior and alloy combination truly looks slick. I wasn't a fan of the first gen ecosports but boy have they done a good job with the models that came later.

Do you have any mods planned?
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 10:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

What a lovely car !! It does look sexy in black ! Congratulations and wish you miles of smiles
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 14:35   #5
BANNED

Man oh man, what a lovely car, it's my dream to own one!
Anyways you can install autoclutch in your ES, it works like an IMT, it's an aftermarket accessory and there are several videos on it too.Your leg will really appreciate it.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 18:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
What a looker this car this! The black exterior and alloy combination truly looks slick. I wasn't a fan of the first gen ecosports but boy have they done a good job with the models that came later.

Do you have any mods planned?
Yes they did a great job with the facelift, especially the S variant. Regarding the mods, I prefer to keep the engine stock. With Ford gone, don't think it's wise enough to experiment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What a lovely car !! It does look sexy in black ! Congratulations and wish you miles of smiles
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
Man oh man, what a lovely car, it's my dream to own one!
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
Anyways you can install autoclutch in your ES, it works like an IMT, it's an aftermarket accessory and there are several videos on it too.Your leg will really appreciate it.
Yes I have read about it. However, we have a Sonet 1.0 iMT at home too. For city drives this car is now majorly used by me, and hence the left leg relaxes.
Old 18th September 2022, 21:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

07CR - i absolutely understand why you love this car. I had the 1st Gen TDCI Titanium as my daily drive to work and did many memorable trips for 98k kms over 7yrs. It could have easily done another 50k kms but space was becoming a constraint so had to let go in favour of an MUV. Zero rattles even on the day I let it go!

Nothing comes close to Ecosport when it comes to driving fun, FE, robustness and low cost of ownership at the 10L mark. Take care of the car regularly per the manual, listen to signs of any odd behaviour and get it fixed promptly and you will have a fuss free enjoyable ownership!

Happy driving!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 10:26   #8
BHPian

Yes, it’s no surprise that the demand for Ecosport keeps rising, even when the company has now stopped manufacturing cars in India.
Congratulations on your black beauty. Happy driving.
I wished Ford had stayed longer and introduced Escape. It’s hard to upgrade now that I completed 8 years with my Ecosport.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 17:58   #9
BANNED

I have long experience with Ecosports. I must say you have got a lovely Black, which looks like straight out of factory.

I wish you many happy miles with your new possession and please keep posting updates about your ownership.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 05:37   #10
BHPian

Especially the Ecosport S is a car I always stare at, as you stated, it's the tyres and in your case also the black that looks so good on the car. I also like it's ORVMs which are under the windows and not next to the windows, the stem that goes up does add a uniqueness to the car.

Yes, the low profile tyres might be a stress everytime you go into a pot holes due to the tyre bulging/tyre tear issues. Better to up size to 215-55 which will give you a peace of mind. The mild mileage difference wouldn't matter compared to the relaxed way you'll be able to drive.
black.beauty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 14:13   #11

Beautiful beast.. !!
I am also looking to upgrade from my Elite i20 to Ecosport diesel (either S or Titanium+). Any leads to a well worshipped Ecosport would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 20th September 2022, 16:46   #12
BHPian

This black beauty of yours is gorgeous to say and I too am a proud owner of Ecosport but a different colour. It's an absolute joy to drive this car and except more mod to come from your side. Upsizing is highly recommended and I recently did for my 2019 Titanium from 205/60/r16 to 205/65/r16 and the whole driving dynamics changed .
Old 21st September 2022, 09:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.beauty View Post
Especially the Ecosport S is a car I always stare at, as you stated, it's the tyres and in your case also the black that looks so good on the car. I also like it's ORVMs which are under the windows and not next to the windows, the stem that goes up does add a uniqueness to the car.

Yes, the low profile tyres might be a stress everytime you go into a pot holes due to the tyre bulging/tyre tear issues. Better to up size to 215-55 which will give you a peace of mind. The mild mileage difference wouldn't matter compared to the relaxed way you'll be able to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Chlorin View Post
This black beauty of yours is gorgeous to say and I too am a proud owner of Ecosport but a different colour. It's an absolute joy to drive this car and except more mod to come from your side. Upsizing is highly recommended and I recently did for my 2019 Titanium from 205/60/r16 to 205/65/r16 and the whole driving dynamics changed .
Thanks for the kind words. I have not had tyre bulging/tyre tear issues, but I do wish to improve the low speed ride quality. I am thinking of upgrading the tyre size from current 205/50/17 to 205/55/17 or 215/60/17. How much of % deficit can I expect in terms of mileage and performance? Lastly is it safe to increase tyre size to this extent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin0384 View Post
Beautiful beast.. !!
I am also looking to upgrade from my Elite i20 to Ecosport diesel (either S or Titanium+). Any leads to a well worshipped Ecosport would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Go for it. But I will suggest to not consider the T+, as the later years Ecosport Titanium did have many feature deletions. The S variant has always been extremely well loaded.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 17:57   #14
BHPian

No wonder the phase Black beauty. Black looks stunning..
The Nexon was a strong contender for me as well. However, the instrument cluster and the rear looks were what made me buy the EcoSport. I love the simple and clear dials in the EcoSport.

Can you share the links of the forscan app or device that you used and the headlight bulbs as well?
Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 13:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Lovely review of the Ecosport S. I agree with most of the points you have mentioned, as i too own a diesel S of March 2021 make. So far my experience has been excellent.

I have a couple of questions:-

1. How do you remove the rear seats to get a Jazz-like magic seats effect?

2. Where did you get those upgrades using Forscan? Does FASS do it for Rs 2000 that you have mentioned?

Wish you many happy miles on the ES S.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks