Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2022, 11:59   #46

Re: S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Thank you for your note. My reasoning is also the same. > 20L is what you need to invest for a new car that is somewhat in the league of S-Cross 1.6 diesel in its segment.
I was able to work out a deal and I now have the beast in my parking spot. It's been sitting there was just 3 days so couldn't go for a long drive. I will definitely do it the coming weekend.

Many thanks to you and many other S Cross 1.6 owners who have poured in their experiences and valuable thoughts on this Forum, which has immensely helped me take the bold step.
Sachin0384 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 08:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin0384 View Post
I was able to work out a deal and I now have the beast in my parking spot.
Hi Sachin,
Congratulations. Can you please share the purchase price, from where did you buy it (true value /auto portal / individual sale) and the model year?

Thanks
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 14:36   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Hi Sachin,
Congratulations. Can you please share the purchase price, from where did you buy it (true value /auto portal / individual sale) and the model year?
Thanks Nikhil..!
I bought it from an individual (Source: Carwale) in Pune. It's a March 2016 Alpha and I paid 7Lacs for it.

PS: I have been searching for a Pune car for last 10+ months. There are some Mumbai cars available on Spinny but I feel they are highly overpriced.
Sachin0384 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 10:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin0384 View Post
I was able to work out a deal and I now have the beast in my parking spot. It's been sitting there was just 3 days so couldn't go for a long drive. I will definitely do it the coming weekend.

Many thanks to you and many other S Cross 1.6 owners who have poured in their experiences and valuable thoughts on this Forum, which has immensely helped me take the bold step.
Excellent news! I am very pleased to hear you got yourself a good machine. Looking forward to your ownership thread and the pics of your car.
Old 13th January 2023, 00:45   #50
BHPian

Hi All,

I was planning to buy a Crysta Diesel, but unfortunately the bookings stopped and don't know when they're gonna open again. I was driving a Terrano which I sold earlier as well, so wanted to get the Crysta.

Left with no option I was in the market searching for a used car in good nick. Was looking at the options and especially S-Cross 1.6 from a long long time. TBH, finding one in good condition is so hard now since almost everyone purchase a 1.3 and saved over a lakh on the same variant.

My luck finally clicked and I was able to seal the deal on a 2016 model 1.6 in mint condition. The car is bone stock except for one or may be two things.

I could really feel the pull from the engine as I had to drive around 200 KMs to get her home.

Thinking to start a thread but here's a teaser.
Attached Thumbnails
S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-20230113_002343.jpg  

Joker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 14:50   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Hi All,

My luck finally clicked and I was able to seal the deal on a 2016 model 1.6 in mint condition. The car is bone stock except for one or may be two things.

Thinking to start a thread but here's a teaser.
Great to hear you got yourself the 1.6. The teaser is tempting and we look forward to your detailed ownership review soon. Please share the full details of your experiences and observations on this one of a kind car.

Congratulations again!
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 21:36   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Great to hear you got yourself the 1.6. The teaser is tempting and we look forward to your detailed ownership review soon. Please share the full details of your experiences and observations on this one of a kind car.

Congratulations again!
Thanks a Ton Sir!!

Have a lot of things planned to be done on the car.

1) Sourcing Alloys for the tyres since they're not Alloys, have got a set of Lensos coming to me shortly.

2) Will get the chrome parts detailed again since they've developed some rust. Thinking to get them done in Nardo Grey colour.

3) Planning to get the speakers updated to either Polk Audio or Alpines since the stock speakers don't please me.

4) Got the beep beep horn updated to Original Creta ones that i bought, sounding Fantastic.

5) Other things include changing the steering cover, gear knob and all.

Apart from this, the engine is a Gem, the car actually doesn't require me to spend a penny on it. Putting a smile on my face everytime.

Interiors are clean and since i got it cleaned using some polish. Here's a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails
S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-20230112_140157.jpg  

Joker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 14:15   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Thanks a Ton Sir!!

Have a lot of things planned to be done on the car.

1) Sourcing Alloys for the tyres since they're not Alloys, have got a set of Lensos coming to me shortly.

2) Will get the chrome parts detailed again since they've developed some rust. Thinking to get them done in Nardo Grey colour.

3) Planning to get the speakers updated to either Polk Audio or Alpines since the stock speakers don't please me.

4) Got the beep beep horn updated to Original Creta ones that i bought, sounding Fantastic.

5) Other things include changing the steering cover, gear knob and all.

Apart from this, the engine is a Gem, the car actually doesn't require me to spend a penny on it. Putting a smile on my face everytime.

Interiors are clean and since i got it cleaned using some polish. Here's a pic of it.
I have prioritized function over form for my car at the moment. So my first set of priorities was to get the car mechanically a step up, as soon as I got the formalities of transfer completed. I am tempted to change the paint; not that I dislike the white color, but the PA white just isn't to my taste. Nardo grey was something on my mind, but I have something else in mind now. But the repaint will be at a much later stage since I need to get the RTO paperwork done.

I considered changing my alloys, but the general feedback I heard is that most alloys come with aftermarket considerations which means without a proper hub ring, the chances of vibration at high speeds are much higher. Also during wheel service time, if the plastic hub rings break or are lost for any reason, then I am in a pickle. In between all this, my choice of alloys is just unavailable. So this plan is for the long term when I paint the car and will get a matching set of alloys by then.

The audio upgrade is in the works, but it has been a tough few weeks for me and my accomplice in this matter (jaunthead on this forum). But we are making some progress.

Does that gear level have a cover on your car?
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:19   #54
BHPian

***** Suspension Replacements *****

The car has clocked 78K as of yesterday. One of the things that's been on my mind due for changes are the suspension components. Here's why
  1. Sound when going over speed breakers, specifically the short ones.
  2. Rear stepping out of line and heavy movement when going over rumble strips (which are galore in Bangalore city itself). At low speeds, it wasn't an issue, but at speeds over 60 KMPH, it certainly was.

***** What has been done *****

The following parts were replaced along with wheel alignment

At the front:
  1. Front suspension struts (full kit) made by gabriel
  2. Link Rods
  3. Lower arms

At the rear
  1. Monroe shock absorbers at the rear

***** Experience with Engineering Exponents (EE) *****

My preferred workshop for the car is Engineering Exponents near ITPL main road, Bangalore for several reasons:

1. Skilled workmanship - Efficient use of tools & time.
  2. Open to feedback on the work or any concerns.
  3. Continued support post-work in case of any issues or incompatibilities.
  4. Friendly staff & owner. You can hang around the workshop, observe and take pictures.
  5. They will source the required set of parts and also open to using parts we supply.
  6. Competitive labour pricing as compared to OEM distributor/service outlets.

Due to work and other personal commitments, I could not be physically present this time at the workshop when the suspension parts replacements were carried out. So no photos of work in progress. I met Jayant, owner of EE in the evening and he explained the work done, the parts replaced and asked for feedback in the coming days. I am pretty happy with the outcomes. Further, they finished the replacements along with wheel alignment by evening. The alignment is perfect and the ride as good as it came from factory. The squat when accelerating quickly as well as nose dive during braking or crossing over broad speed breakers have reduced.

Further, it has solved the two important issues I've had as noted in the opening paragraphs. The culprit seems to be the lower arm and link rods. The rear suspensions were over 90% of their life.

***** Post Installation Pictures *****

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pxl_20230322_115032415.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pxl_20230322_115051691.jpg
S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pxl_20230322_115107622.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pxl_20230320_150456863.jpg

***** Next Up *****
  • At 80,000 KMs regular service including engine oil change, air filters and other necessary parts as needed.
  • At 90,000 KMs - Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, drive belts and pulley

Last edited by sudeepg : 23rd March 2023 at 17:21.
sudeepg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 18:43   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*]At 90,000 KMs - Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, drive belts and pulley
Given your car is already towards the 2nd half of the 7th year of running, I wouldn't wait till 90k kms; and rather get it done pre-emptively with the next service. Also might have to consider the time delay to get the necessary components.

Check with Jayant for a second opinion if it helps.

--------------
Quote:
I noticed that the gear shift from 1 to 2, would be difficult in the morning on the first move. A couple of shifts later and driving a few KMs the gear shifts would become butter smooth as if there were no issues. Further, the downshift to second gear would also require effort beyond what was usually required.

On the first occurrence, I thought it was a one-off occurrence, but I started observing it on every cold start. The problem was present and could not be ignored.
Could you expand more on the above "symptoms" that you and @Keynote picked up with regards to the clutch?
- Was this occurring after every cold start? Did it occur in shifts from 1 to 2 in other scenarios?
- When you compare the downshift to second gear; was it particular only to 2nd gear or any downshift action? What was the difference otherwise; say if you were downshifting to 3rd gear instead?
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:26   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Also might have to consider the time delay to get the necessary components.

Check with Jayant for a second opinion if it helps.
This was suggested by Jayant himself. The kits have been ordered but they are back ordered at the supplier.

Quote:
Could you expand more on the above "symptoms" that you and @Keynote picked up with regards to the clutch?
- Was this occurring after every cold start? Did it occur in shifts from 1 to 2 in other scenarios?
- When you compare the downshift to second gear; was it particular only to 2nd gear or any downshift action? What was the difference otherwise; say if you were downshifting to 3rd gear instead?
Yes, this was occuring on EVERY cold start. I usually idle the car for 60-90 seconds before moving from the basement parking.

The first up shift was difficult, in fact it got progressively difficult in a few weeks.

The up shift from second to third was alright, but not smooth.

The down shift from third to second was also tricky, meaning it would not slot smoothly and some effort had to be applied.

In our apartment complex, there are multiple speed breakers along a 700 meters pathway until main road, so I can't go beyond third. By the time I get to the main road, the shifting would have become a lot more better.
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 16:46   #57
BHPian

***** Rear Hatch Gas Strut Replacements *****

The gas struts holding the rear tailgate when opened were long gone. It was the case in the DDiS 200 and the same in DDiS 320. Initially, I ignored this problem until I injured myself when working on the car. I usually leave the tail gate open to access tools when working on the car. While cleaning the exteriors on a Sunday, I was wiping the rear bumper area when I got up to take a microfibre cloth from the boot. Just a while before that, I had cleaned the tailgate and not fully raised it back since the gas struts were beyond their life. I hit my head and had terrible pain and headache after that which spoiled one of my weekends. There's a reason why there's a saying a stitch in time saves nine!

Made the decision to get the part replaced and looked up boodmo site. They were running a free delivery on a weekend campaign (They do this every weekend!) )

Decided to go aftermarket this time for the following reasons:
  • Skeptical about some OEM parts in general based on mine and peer feedbacks
  • Cost: OEM cost is 550 + Taxes per piece with an installation cost of 350 (As quoted by Bimal). Part numbers: 81860M64M00/81850M64M00
Part Number: AM-G81585
Origin: After market
Class: Gas Spring
Make: Gabriel
Cost: 351 per piece (works left side and right side)
S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pxl_20230331_124442504.mp.jpg
S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pxl_20230331_124846985.mp.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pxl_20230331_124857981.mp.jpg

So why is OEM part almost twice as expensive?
I believe the OEM part comes with the side hinges besides the gas struts and is specific to a side (RH/LH).
Name:  OEM.png
Views: 684
Size:  121.9 KB

There is no need to change the hinges. Besides that, removing and reinstalling it is more difficult than changing just the gas struts on either side. It takes less than 5 minutes with a simple screwdriver.

Trivia: It takes a lot of force to push in the new struts. It may appear stuck, but that is how it is!

WARNING: The tail gate is very heavy and if the gas struts are not supporting it, it will come crashing on your head. So ensure you have someone to assist you in holding up the tailgate when changing the struts. You can alternatively, use your head and with one side strut holding the weight at a time to manage if you have no one to assist.

Some folks recommend using a wooden log to support the side being removed. I don't recommend this unless you are sure that the log won't get dislodged and come crashing on your head.

***** Steps to Install *****
  1. Raise the tailgate completely.
  2. Have a friend support the tail gate.
  3. Using a flathead screwdriver, pry open the locking clips on one side of the strut.
  4. Pull the strut out from its ball joint. (Note: The moment you do this, the tailgate is free and the weight is supported by your friend)
  5. Clean and grease a bit for smooth operation.
  6. Open the new gas strut and push insert the side that corresponds to the side you just removed. This is important. You should not interchange the sides.
  7. Repeat on the other side.
  8. If you started from the left strut, repeat on the right side or vice versa.
***** Pictures of the Installation *****

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-prying.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-struthead.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pxl_20230402_085327844.jpg
Just prior to doing this, me and one of my closest friends (Jaunthead on this forum) upgraded the headlamps on his car from D2S to D2H just like I did mine. See this post (S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review) for details

I also tricked him into upgrading his fog lamps to Bi-LEDs, just like mine. Below is a teaser from alignment testing
I also got new gas struts installed for the tailgate on his car.

We had a fun weekend!!!

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pxl_20230402_063929933.mp.jpg

Last edited by sudeepg : 2nd April 2023 at 16:48.
sudeepg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 11:20   #58
BHPian

Quote:
My car had exactly the same symptoms as Sudeep's car. Sorry about the late response though.

Quote:
Yes, this was occuring on EVERY cold start. I usually idle the car for 60-90 seconds before moving from the basement parking. The first up shift was difficult, in fact it got progressively difficult in a few weeks. The up shift from second to third was alright, but not smooth. The down shift from third to second was also tricky, meaning it would not slot smoothly and some effort had to be applied.
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 18:35   #59
BHPian

Quote:
***** Rear Hatch Gas Strut Replacements *****

The gas struts
Thank you very much for the post.

Read it today morning and by evening my BIL was saying the rear hatch is not holding, and immediately remembered this post. Checked the rates on boodmo, as you mentioned the OEM sells along with the bracket, which is 777 per side. And I checked for the alternative, Motherson is available at 422 without the brackets. Where did you source the parts? Boodmo or JC road, assuming you are from Bangalore from your location.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 07:48   #60
BHPian

My S-Cross gets a downpipe + ECU map update

***** Updates to the car *****

***** Update #1 *****

I had been a bit busy at work and could not update this ownership thread with the updates and services recently done to the car.

Current ODO Reading: 81,600 Kms

Here's what's been done
  • Timing Belt replaced
  • Water Pump replaced
  • Regular Service (Oil, Oil Filter and Air Filter Change)

..... all @ Engineering Exponents

***** Results *****

I switched to 77 Holland engine oil and the results are very good. The engine runs even more smoothly and is silent. I have done 2,000 Kms and the car is silent and smooth at idle or on the run even now. I am loving this new engine oil and so does my close friend who also owns an S-Cross 1.6 using this engine oil.

Jayant had sourced the timing belt kit and the water pump for me. I was not present at the worksite due to work commitments and had therefore left the car with them. So, unfortunately, no pictures of work in progress

***** Update #2 *****

I had been toying with the idea of a custom downpipe and discussing it with Jayant. After several weeks of discussion, he finally asked to bring the car over for them to install a bespoke downpipe. I left the car with them for two days while they went about building the downpipe and installing it. The ECU tune has also been updated making it a stage 2.

The material used: SS304 Steel with Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW)

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-downpipe.jpg

* Here are my post-installation observations *
  1. Excellent low end. The turbo spools in around ~1300 RPM and by 1500 RPM is strong with no lugging whatsoever compared to the earlier ~1800 RPM. This helps in moving around the city in 3rd or 4th gear effortlessly.

2. The RPM climb is quicker. This means the car hits the power zone and exits its peak power band much more quicker. This required me to adapt my driving to the changes since I now need to upshift gears sooner. The power delivery is also a bit more linear. Earlier, there was a stronger pull I could experience at ~2000 RPM, which has flattened out. I have driven around 120 KMS post this change (For some ECU adaptation) and certainly love this change. Overall a faster car!

3. No smoking.

4. These three, I feel are the highlights of this modification.

5. A slight turbo whistle can be heard for a few seconds (with windows down) when the car is moving at low RPM, and it subsides.

NOTE: This change is completely reversible.

With these changes, I have concluded with the performance modifications for this car. I do not plan to install performance air intakes or any other hardware upgrades.

***** Credits *****

*** Engineering Exponents ***

I love these guys, they are great with their tools and timing. Usually, I am able to hang around the workshop and see the work being done while chatting with the mechanics. Jayant explained how they go about changing timing belts on the S-Cross, which unfortunately I have forgotten due to the time gap now. There are markers and locking points that they use when replacing the belts. They are very efficient with their tools and processes and also carry the service manual. The work was done in under a day. Also, they have done this on several S-Cross 1.6s, so they are pretty familiar with the process.

I feel the design of the downpipe is pretty good. It is simple and straightforward with minimal bends. The downpipe attachments at the turbo exit are firm fit at both ends. A casual observer cannot spot the modification.

What I also like about EE now is that I am able to provide them with feedback and they are most willing to look at any issues or concerns, address my queries and advise.

Also thank you Surya and Kiran, who usually work on my car.

*** Wolf Team ***

Without the great ECU maps to complement the upgrades, it would not be worth it. Thank you Rajiv. You guys are not only super talented but also one of the most humble & committed human beings I have interacted with.

*** Disclaimer ***

Please note, these are my personal observations as a result of servicing my car a few times now with EE and using Wolf ECU tunes. I am not in anyway associated with their business.

Last edited by sudeepg : 25th June 2023 at 08:02.
sudeepg is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks