Old 31st October 2022, 16:35   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Happy Diwali Everyone

Fog light upgrade

Nice upgrade for the 1.6.

Can you share the link from where you purchased these? I've also been using Micro Fogs from XP for last 5+ years but need these switchable ones as I need yellow lights during winters due to fog. Please share the link.
Old 12th November 2022, 18:54   #32
BHPian

***** 70-71K Service Update *****

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_125758.jpg

My car has completed 70,000 KMS. The ODO reads at 70,989. The last service was at 65,000 KMS. I decided to change some of the fluids and switch over completely to fully synthetic oil and also replace some parts.

The work was carried out at Engineering Exponents (EE) at Hoodi, near Whitefield. I had been discussing the service with them for a while now and Jayant was supportive of my queries and the process.

EE opens at 11:00 AM on working days. I reached by 11:15 AM and the car was taken in for service. I was out by 2:30 PM. The following works were carried out
  1. Brake Service: Cleaning, Pad replacement, Bleeding (Front and Rear).
  2. Engine oil replacement to fully synthetic oil.
  3. Air filter replacement
  4. Brake fluid replacement
  5. Fuel filter replacement
  6. Transmission/Gear oil replacement
  7. Non-return valve installation for windshield fluid

***** Parts & Pricing *****

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-partslist.jpg

***** Photos *****

Transmission and Engine Oil Replacements
S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_130254.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_115829.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_115509.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_131118.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_130726.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_124937.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_125720.jpg

Non Return Valve installed at the joint in the windshield washer pipe. We didn't have to do anything other than replace the joint with the non return valve. Infact it is so simple that the existing joint has no valve. Simply remove the existing one and replace it with the part which has no return valve. Time to do this is less than 2 minutes!

For those who are wondering what this is for - The nonreturn valve removes the delay when the windshield washer fluid begins to spray. It is immediate since it traps the fluid already in the pipe. The cost for this change is a mere 8 rupees and 2 minutes!

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_131427.jpg

***** Post Installation Drive & EE Experience Summary *****
  • 300 ML of additives went in along with engine oil.
  • The car definitely feels better.
  • The gear shift changes are definitely smoother, if not by a great margin. I definitely feel the change for good.
  • Engine sound seems, as usual, nothing different.
  • The brakes bite better now. They are sharp and to my liking.
  • Brakes will take time to bed in, so it is too early to say much
  • Front brake pads have a lot of life left in them. I still replaced them and picked up the spares.
  • I bought rear brake pads, diesel additives and transmission oil from EE.

The mechanic who did the job is Surya and he was at ease with his work. He knew exactly how to go about the demanded work and was efficient in his work. All the work was done in under 3.5 hours.

Jayant was very good to talk to, although I have not met him yet in person. He suggested I give them a heads up a few days before and not source parts since they always ENSURE they source genuine parts for a car and customers don't end up with duplicates, spurious parts or leftover quantities. I agreed with this approach and do recommend this workshop to automobile owners.

The workshop's looks may not be to everyone's tastes, but don't underestimate their skill. They are pretty good at what they do with necessary required tools, and parts. There are a few friendly pets to keep you company at the workshop.

***** Useful Links *****

Last edited by sudeepg : 12th November 2022 at 18:58.
sudeepg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 18:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Nice upgrade for the 1.6.

Can you share the link from where you purchased these? I've also been using Micro Fogs from XP for last 5+ years but need these switchable ones as I need yellow lights during winters due to fog. Please share the link.
I believe we PM'd each other and this is resolved. Thank you for reaching out.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 18:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:
You bought the spares or the service centre has the spares especially the engine and transmission oils?
Old 18th November 2022, 01:41   #35

Quote:
[b][center]
Jayant was very good to talk to, although I have not met him yet in person. He suggested I give them a heads up a few days before and not source parts since they always ENSURE they source genuine parts for a car and customers don't end up with duplicates, spurious parts or leftover quantities. I agreed with this approach and do recommend this workshop to automobile owners.

The workshop's looks may not be to everyone's tastes, but don't underestimate their skill. They are pretty good at what they do with necessary required tools, and parts. There are a few friendly pets to keep you company at the workshop.
[/list]

Do you think they would be able to service a Nissan X-Trail?
UncleSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 18:48   #36

Thank you for your wonderful post..!!

I am in love with S Cross 1.6 D and Ford Ecosport S Diesel.

I own a 2017 Elite 1.2 Asta (O) and it serves my purpose as my monthly running is pretty low (approx 700 Kms) except that it is hugely under powered..!!
While browsing the used car websites I have come a cross a 2016 S Cross 1.6D Alpha with just approx 40K on the odo (I am beaming while writing this). I have driven this beauty couple of times in the past and never got over it. But I kept taming my inner voice showing it the practical picture. But I can't anymore.

Before you all start pelting the "diesel vehicles cost vs monthly running" advice at me, please hear me out for the reasons behind my plunge.

1. There is NO new car available in the market which is even close as this or Ecosport.
2. I do not want to spend 15-20 lacs on a SUV that does not bring the child out of me as 1.6 D and Ecosport does. I am totally against spending this much on a car. Especially when I can get better cars in the used car market.
3. Though my current office commute is very little I want to enjoy the drive. On the other hand, my highway trips might go up if I end up getting it.
4. With the EVs on the horizon I think we are the lucky generation which can enjoy the best of both worlds. This could be the last ICE I ever drive so I want to end that journey with the best mate at my side ☺️.

Considering the above aspects does anybody still think I should NOT get a S Cross 1.6 D..?? Reasons please?

Mod Note: Only 2 smilies per post please. Also please use forum based emojis

Last edited by ampere : 22nd November 2022 at 10:12. Reason: 2 smilies per post
Sachin0384 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 07:26   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin0384 View Post
Thank you for your wonderful post..!!

I am in love with S Cross 1.6 D and Ford Ecosport S Diesel.

Considering the above aspects does anybody still think I should NOT get a S Cross 1.6 D..?? 😁 Reasons please?
I hope you have already given the token amount for the car Go for it, never mind the low running and stuffs. If you heart is convinced on the car, just buy it and enjoy. If you find the right car, you will find reasons to drive it or you will come up with 'made up reasons' to drive it every now and then.
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 15:29   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I hope you have already given the token amount for the car Go for it, never mind the low running and stuffs. If you heart is convinced on the car, just buy it and enjoy. If you find the right car, you will find reasons to drive it or you will come up with 'made up reasons' to drive it every now and then.
Thank you mate!!
These are the inspiring words I was looking for..!! Hope things work out.
Sachin0384 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 10:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSam View Post
Do you think they would be able to service a Nissan X-Trail?
They will service your car although parts availability is tough and you will have to wait on it. Give a heads up to Jayant or take the car for inspection. They will try and get the parts and help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin0384 View Post

2. I do not want to spend 15-20 lacs on a SUV that does not bring the child out of me as 1.6 D and Ecosport does. I am totally against spending this much on a car. Especially when I can get better cars in the used car market.

3. Though my current office commute is very little I want to enjoy the drive. On the other hand, my highway trips might go up if I end up getting it.
Thank you for your note. My reasoning is also the same. > 20L is what you need to invest for a new car that is somewhat in the league of S-Cross 1.6 diesel in its segment.

I recently did a long trip. On the onward journey, it was a calm and peaceful drive with 0 spirited driving of any sorts. The power on tap was really enjoyable and at no point did I ever feel the car was lagging.

On the return trip, I had a short burst of fun with another car. I can tell you the effort required to keep up and cross the other car on the highway 150A didn't consume even half of throttle input! That said, I had used Cetane booster and that experience will be a separate upcoming post.
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 12:15   #40

Quote:
Thank you for your note. My reasoning is also the same. > 20L is what you need to invest for a new car that is somewhat in the league of S-Cross 1.6 diesel in its segment.
Great to hear that..!
Hope things work out with the Beauty I am currently pursuing..!

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th November 2022 at 12:23.
Sachin0384 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 13:36   #41
BHPian

***** Pre-Mature Service *****

My DDiS 320 had just been serviced (details in previous posts) when a week later, I noticed that the gear shift from 1 to 2, would be difficult in the morning on the first move. A couple of shifts later and driving a few KMs the gear shifts would become butter smooth as if there were no issues. Further, the downshift to second gear would also require effort beyond what was usually required.

On the first occurrence, I thought it was a one-off occurrence, but I started observing it on every cold start. The problem was present and could not be ignored.

I took the car to Engineering Exponents and after an inspection, the technician maintained there was no problem. The car was warm and had run for a while, so it was not a surprise he didn't find anything amiss. Still, he asked me to continue observing for a few more days and come back.

Now, I had a long trip lined up and this was a botheration. I like to keep my car mechanically in top shape, so much so that I should be able to drive it out for long trips on quick notice without being worried.

I took the car to Bimal auto where they test-drove and said the clutch is hard. But they couldn't tell if a problem was present with the clutch actuator, the clutch itself, or the flywheel. I have been expecting this problem to surface at around 80K - 90K on the ODO and had factored in the cost, but did not expect it to happen this soon.

I called KeyNote (on this forum) who owns an S-cross 1.6. He had once run into a similar problem and in talking with him, he indicated that he had exactly the same symptoms until the clutch actuator gave up on a trip. This information helped me make a decision to change the clutch assembly and other parts if needed.

***** Parts & Pricing *****

Bimal had the flywheel in stock, but not the clutch pack or clutch actuator. It is difficult getting the engine and transmission parts for S-Cross 1.6 diesel. Jayant has suggested that I get these parts and hold on to them. Parts such as timing kits have a waiting period for delivery even in Boodmo and from Maruti.

Here are the parts which were eventually replaced.

***** Repairs Undertaken *****

Bimal arranged for all the remaining parts from another dealer and offered to undertake the job on a Sunday, two days before my scheduled drive. I asked for Jeevan, who is the regular technician who works on my cars and he was on shift on Sunday.

Took the car and upon inspection after opening the gearbox (GB) revealed
  • The pressure plate was in very good condition for the mileage it had put.
  • The bearing and operating cylinder mechanisms has play. This needs replacement.
  • The flywheel also has play. From what I can tell - it is not too much to a point of replacement. But then again, I am no expert in this matter

We decided to replace the entire set of parts since GB service is a whopping 9.5K!! Damn! That is seriously expensive. I was informed by KeyNote it cost him only 5.5K at Coimbatore.

I could not take any pictures of the repair since photography is not allowed inside the service area. But broadly, these are the steps I could make out:
  • Disconnect & remove the battery.
  • Remove the Air box assembly.
  • Loosen the mounting bolts for the gearbox
  • Drain the transmission fluid and collect it in a container. (2.1 Liters)
  • Remove the underside cross member and engine/transmission protection covers.
  • Support the gearbox housing and remove the supporting bolts.
  • Disconnect drive shafts and suspend them using supporting clamps
  • Disconnect the steering system.
  • Remove & lower the gearbox.
  • Inspect and replace the parts.
  • Reinstall in reverse order.
  • Fill the transmission fluid in GB.

It took ~5 hours for the repair work and Jeevan did an excellent job.

***** Parts & Cost & Worn out parts condition *****
  1. Flywheel: 12620 M 55P00 INR 22,953 (Unavailable, ~29,380 when I checked last)
  2. Clutch Assembly: 22000 M 55LA1 INR 10,535 (Boodmo cost: 13,485)
  3. Clutch Operating Cylinder: 23820 M 79J20 INR 2804 (Boodmo Cost: 3,590)
  4. MGP Rust Smash: INR 77
  5. Labour (Transaxle Assy for Diesel-OH with Clutch Disc and/OR Cover: INR 9,133
  6. CGST+SGST (@14% 5081*2)

Total Cost: 57,325

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-flywheelpart.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-diaphragm.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pressureplate1.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-pressureplate2.jpg

This has play only on one side

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-clutchcylinderpart.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-cycloseup.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-clutch-assembly.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-clutch-operating-cylinder.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-flywheel.jpg

Short Video of the Play

***** Post Repair Experience *****

No surprises. The clutch is smooth as butter. I mean - it really went from hard to as good as a naturally aspirated petrol car. Some judder that existed during clutch release has been completely eliminated. Finally, the most important part, the gear shift from 1 to 2 in the mornings was back to butter smooth operation.

As of this update, the car covered 1153 KMs post clutch service and there has been no problems so far.

I believe I am good for another 80 k - 90K KMs now on this front.

P.S: I have the clutch assembly & flywheel with me and ready to give it away for free, in case anyone is interested. I believe the parts have life, but Maruti service will always tell you to change it off since they are wearing out. It is of course business to them! I changed it off because GB overhaul was expensive and it was already factored into the cost of ownership in long run. Just miffed as the super expensive labour charge for GB overhaul.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd December 2022 at 09:44. Reason: Attachments fixed
sudeepg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 14:25   #42
BHPian

***** The Cetane Boosters Experience *****

I had heard about cetane boosters for diesel cars but never tried them in my previous car, the S-Cross 1.3. I had read Dr. Naren's experiences on this forum and wanted to try them on a long-distance trip.

***** The Product *****

Amsoil Diesel Cetane Boost, purchased from Amazon

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_190846.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221112_190853.jpg

***** The Mix *****

For an 8-point increase, the product label mentions 1 ounce for 5 gallons (18.92 liters). The fuel tank capacity of the S-Cross is 48 liters. So for a full tank, you'll need up to 72 ml. I started with a 60 ml mix for a full tank of diesel.

Procedure: Pour the required amount of cetane boosters into the fuel tank and then tank up the car with normal diesel.

The box says it has the following benefits:
  • Delivers maximum horsepower
  • Increases fuel economy
  • Improves startability
  • Smooth idle
  • Reduces smoke and emissions

***** The Cetane Boosters Experience *****

At first, I did not notice any difference. I didn't expect either. After running about ~50 KMs, I did see a noticeable difference in the engine idle, throttle response.
  • The engine is calm and a bit more refined at idle. The vibrations you feel are definitely a notch lower.

• The second area where there is a noticeable improvement is the startup. It cranks on a dime, every time, even when cold!

• I can't say much about fuel economy yet since the cetane booster was used in my long trip this time and the car typically gives me ~19 KMs to a liter of diesel.

• Smoke levels are also a notch down for sure.

• I did notice a considerable improvement in throttle response. In the first gear, you can feel a slightly increased torque. There are other factors too in play at this time since the car is remapped, and has a new clutch. Crawling in traffic is easy but the clutch definitely felt sharp. Once I went low on fuel, I tanked up normal diesel without any boosters and also observed a minor difference in first-gear power delivery. It is hard for me to make out otherwise.

• Low-end performance: I notice this always, the second gear speed breaker crossing is better now. Slow down, cross the speed breaker in second gear at ~10-15 KMPH and there is zero lag felt. You can't let go of the clutch abruptly, stomp on the A pedal and expect miracles though. In normal driving, the experience is smooth & seamless.

• Top-end performance is also pretty good on highways as usual. The car pulls away effortlessly and picks up speed in a very short time.

So I can say this works & I'd recommend trying the cetane boosters to S-Cross owners. I wish I had tried it with the 1.3 DDiS 200 to know what difference it would have made. Sigh!!
sudeepg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 15:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
You bought the spares or the service centre has the spares especially the engine and transmission oils?
I bought the engine oil, brake pads (front), and filters. EE does have all parts in stock (including transmission oil). They recommend that they source all the parts so that they can ensure the components going in are genuine. We just have to give them a heads up so that they can source all the required parts and be ready.
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 19:11   #44
BHPian

***** Wiper Blades Change *****

Monsoons have been on-going for a while in our country and wiper usage has been more than the last couple of years. The wiper blades from OEM parts bin have not been of good quality in my experience so far. This time, I decided to try something else and found this

AutoClean Wiper Blade For Maruti Scross,SX4: Amazon

Size selection is for S-Cross, but is available for other models too. Check out the Amazon page.

The wiper material is natural rubber, stainless steel and silicone plastic.
Specifications
WIPER SPECIFICATION , SIZE - (RH) 26"+ (LH) 14"
Type: U Hook

***** Product & Installed Pictures *****

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-info.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-package1.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-inside.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-blades.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-locking.jpgS-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-lock2.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-installed1.jpg
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 18:42   #45
BHPian

Took some time off to clean the interiors of the car. I am a big fan of ChrisFix on YouTube and follow his simple, yet very effective methods to clean & maintain the car. With a set of detailing brushes, a leather shoe brush, mild soap water and meguiars detailing products, I got a fairly decent finish. Some pictures
S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-cleandashboard.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221217_143932.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-img_20221217_143946.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-front3q.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-read3q1.jpg

S-Crossed again! My pre-owned Maruti S-Cross 1.6 | Ownership Review-side.jpg
sudeepg is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks